*** 2018 PGA Championship Thread ***

41,751 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Arthur Stilwell
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Arthur Stilwell said:

AgLA06 said:

Arthur Stilwell said:

Tiger's charge notwithstanding, it seemed boring because you had the sense that Koepka was completely in control. Even after Scott made that birdie to tie the lead, everybody knew that was only temporary.

That's pretty inaccurate. He'll, go back and look at this thread. The Tiger fan boys alone thought he was going to win long after that. The bias in a lot of these posts is entertaining.

There was a lot of *****ing Thursday and Friday, but this was a heck of a fun tournament that lived up to it's major billing.
Tiger fanboys are delusional so you should take it with a grain of salt.

I was rooting for Tiger but I knew he was done after he made a bogey on 14.

I agree, but there's a reason the telecasts are tailored to them. They make up a very sizable part of the viewers. I've already heard more this morning on how Tiger is back than Tiger and Scott choked or Brooks was in control for his 3rd major in a year. I'm already planning to tune out of sports coverage for a couple of weeks until the Tiger love fades back to reality.
Swollen Thumb
AG
I'm not a fanboy, but Tiger transcends golf and the story of his comeback this season is THE story for good reason....and it is also very good for the game. I like the coverage tailored to him because I wanted to see every shot he made. I suppose I understand some getting a little bored with the Tiger coverage, but at the same time, he just shot 64 in the final round in a major after pretty much being written off as done last year and even heading into this year. I have wanted badly to see a true 2nd act to his career. Tiger (on good form) against the new generation. It's fascinating.
bagger05
AG
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2018-the-tiger-woods-effect-is-real-as-television-ratings-are-up-54-percent-at-bellerive
PJYoung
AG
98Ag99Grad
AG
PJYoung said:

98Ag99Grad said:

The second best golfer of the last 30 years (Phil) has 5 majors. If Koepka gets 6-7 that's saying a lot.

Phil had the misfortune of playing most of those years with a guy who won 14 majors. I doubt Koepka has that problem.

Sure. But 5 is also the most anyone has won since Trevino won 6, his last coming in the early 80s, so winning 6-7 will still be a major deal.
EKUAg
AG
Arthur Stilwell said:

bigfoot10s said:

Who did he kiss??

Edit: didn't realize he had a girlfriend these days. Not hot.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4593192/erica-herman-tiger-woods-girlfriend-how-old/

Not only kiss she gave him a couple good pats on the butt.
birdman
Faldo won six majors.
Aggie95
AG
Tiger's 266 total is his best major....ever. Damn impressive considering his dominance at Pebble Beach and St Andrews.
98Ag99Grad
AG
birdman said:

Faldo won six majors.
Ah, yes sir he did. My mistake.
_lefraud_
AG
PJYoung said:

Hmm, and what does 2009 have in common with 2018?!
jj9000
AG
Aggie95 said:

Tiger's 266 total is his best major....ever. Damn impressive considering his dominance at Pebble Beach and St Andrews.
Every time I read or hear this I think of the Par 70 course they played on.
bagger05
AG
Aggie95 said:

Are there any sites out there that compare performances of individuals relative to the performance of the field? Seems that the total scores and scores relative to par are not THAT great for comparing one tournament performance to another.

I guess that's total strokes gained. Anywhere that's charted? Seems to me like the best way to compare Jason Day's -20 at the 2015 PGA to Bobby Jones winning the US Open at +8. That stat would take into account the course and weather conditions as well as have some timelessness across generations.

Would roughly indicate just how big of an ass-kicking any victory was.
Aggie95
AG
This isn't the first par 70 major championship...

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2013/08/06/tiger-woods-par-70-major-championship-courses-good-4161/
My Dad Earl
AG
EKUAg said:

Arthur Stilwell said:

bigfoot10s said:

Who did he kiss??

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4593192/erica-herman-tiger-woods-girlfriend-how-old/

Harry Stone
AG
everyone talks about Koepka's boring personality, but which star on tour right now has a good personality? DJ? Jordan? JT? Adam Scott? Jason Day? Justin Rose? Rory and Reed show some personality, along with maybe Rahm, but most of the stars are pretty plain.
WhoopN06
Speith also shows personality. You're spot on though.
David_Puddy
AG
Randy Cody said:

EKUAg said:

Arthur Stilwell said:

bigfoot10s said:

Who did he kiss??

From Elin to that.....freaking brutal
https://i.imgur.com/iX1gPs5.gif
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think he may be dating a mouse. she might be in the witness protection program with how she likes to work that hat.

98Ag99Grad
AG
WhoopN06 said:

yeah and everyone complains about him and Rahm being too whiny so you can't win I guess.
ORAggieFan
Lefty seems the only one who really has personality and shows it on the course. Fowler does through his clothes. Maybe Sergio has over the years.
birdman
About half the top 20 guys "show personality" on the course. They seems like a good enough percentage to me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you need an athlete to show personality in order not to be bored by watching them, you are officially gay. Or a woman.
TyHolden
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

If you need an athlete to show personality in order not to be bored by watching them, you are officially gay. Or a woman.
why not both???
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you're both, you might be a 1980s LPGA player that appreciates his golf and doesn't care about his personality.
TyHolden
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

If you're both, you might be a 1980s LPGA player that appreciates his golf and doesn't care about his personality.
don't disagree

Edit: wrong emoji.
TyHolden
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think he may be dating a mouse. she might be in the witness protection program with how she likes to work that hat.

that's Paula Abdul
JCA1
AG
Did I miss tiger being some engaging personality because that's not how I remember his prime. He also routinely played safe golf on Sunday with a lead (2 iron stinger off of virtually every tee anyone?). And I don't say any of this to disparage him. At his peak, he was the greatest ever. That was why he was must see TV, not his personality. Let Koepka win a few more and he will be must see tv as well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Apparently people need their occasional fist-pump or point into the hole. Or on the flipside, grabbing the bridge of his nose after he just can't believe he missed a 30ft putt. I mean, "how did I miss that???"
wangus12
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Yep. How slow can you play a round of golf and how much can you curse at yourself.
JCA1
AG
wangus12 said:

WhoopN06 said:

Yep. How slow can you play a round of golf and how much can you curse at yourself.

It's like I always tell people about to tee off behind me, "I may not be good but at least I'm fast. Just ask my wife!"
My Dad Earl
AG
JCA1 said:

At his peak, he was the greatest ever. That was why he was must see TV, not his personality. Let Koepka win a few more and he will be must see tv as well.
Did Jack Nicklaus transcend the sport like Tiger did in his prime? I wasn't born yet when Jack was playing (grew up watching Tiger), but from what I hear, Tiger is what brought the PGA to the masses and not just the middle to upper-class white population. I think his nickname, his fist pumps, his ethnicity (I don't say that racially; I think it's the truth since golf is predominantly white), outward emotions, his competitiveness and ultimately play all contributed to the transcendent persona of Tiger Woods.

Koepka or Speith or DJ or whoever else could win 10 more majors and they will never attract an audience or create an environment like Tiger did.
jj9000
AG
Think of it like this.

Koepka and DJ are evolutionary.

Tiger was revolutionary.

That's the best way I can compare then vs. now.
Bunk Moreland
Randy Cody said:

JCA1 said:

At his peak, he was the greatest ever. That was why he was must see TV, not his personality. Let Koepka win a few more and he will be must see tv as well.
Did Jack Nicklaus transcend the sport like Tiger did in his prime? I wasn't born yet when Jack was playing (grew up watching Tiger), but from what I hear, Tiger is what brought the PGA to the masses and not just the middle to upper-class white population. I think his nickname, his fist pumps, his ethnicity (I don't say that racially; I think it's the truth since golf is predominantly white), outward emotions, his competitiveness and ultimately play all contributed to the transcendent persona of Tiger Woods.

Koepka or Speith or DJ or whoever else could win 10 more majors and they will never attract an audience or create an environment like Tiger did.

It's all timing with Jack/Tiger. Tiger got the benefit of being the next GOAT in the sport when cable TV and the internet blew up. Not taking anything away from him. That was just when his moment happened. So it's going to reach so many more people, which is a great thing.

I wasn't born yet when Jack won his last Masters, but just reading about him and watching shows about his life...I'd say they both transcended the sport from people who followed it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Randy Cody said:

JCA1 said:

Jack did transcend, but as mentioned, there weren't a bazillion cable channels or the interwebz. But for that era, certainly transcended as much as any player possibly could have at the time. Young, long-ball hitting freak that was winning huge from a very young age. Arnie had helped grab some eyeballs, but Jack came along and took it to a level never seen before.
Duckhook
AG
I grew up in Jack's era. TV focused as much on him as it does Tiger now. Jack could be six shots behind but you still saw every one of his shots.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.