*** 2018 PGA Championship Thread ***

41,840 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Arthur Stilwell
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Koepka's finishes in his last 12 majors (chrono order):

Get used to seeing him a lot if he can stay healthy
Jesus, that's a great run
Bunk Moreland

Just to add some more to it..
BreNayPop
AG
Holy cow
JTatter88
DannyDuberstein said:

Thats not a bad run
Bunk Moreland
JTatter88 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Thats not a bad run

I dunno, a bit too boring for my tastes.
7iron
AG
Confucius said:

I'll say it...Koepka is boring as f*** to watch. Doesn't even want to have the stage to hole out the victory.
couldn't agree more
Baby Billy
AG
I hate that koepka ruined this for Tiger, but it's badass to see someone be completely unphased by all of those roars. I haven't heard that many roars in a long time and they were all one hole in front of him all day.

It was facinating to see him so calm all day and hitting one great shot after another when so many others would have crumbled in the same situation
Bunk Moreland
I feel like its less his demeanor and more a statement about golf coverage. They pump up stories and stars. They then think they've got the next coming of tiger and try to create it. When it doesn't work they still stay on those guys.

It was said earlier in this thread I think, but the broadcasters incredulously wondering why he doesn't get his due is hilarious. It's because of how they choose to show golf tournaments. Perfect example was today. He never lost the lead the entire time yet there were multiple times his shots were shown to us on delay because they were covering tiger standing on a green waiting for Woodland to putt or JT pitching around a green down 3 strokes. They cut to Brooks, he nuts his shot (on delay), catch up with his live putt, then back to the players the production crew has decided America wants to see.

That's not to say he couldn't help himself by bringing a little energy...but if that's not his style, and he's dominating probably the strongest field in the history of golf... It's on them to craft that narrative correctly. Not him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree that a lot of it is marketing vs him. Is Rickie Fowler exciting personality-wise during a tournament? Sports the flatbill and orange clothes, but demeanor-wise and interview-wise, pretty dang ho hum. Yet he's the absolute marketing darling (same # of career wins now, but no majors btw)
DannyDuberstein
AG
Or DJ? we never hear how boring he is to watch.
DannyDuberstein
AG
On a sidenote, this completes the cycle where every 2018 major winner was an equipment endorsement contract free agent.
Bunk Moreland
I think Nike also won every major from an apparel standpoint
FirefightAg
AG
The reason it seems Brooks isn't emotional is because he doesn't even want to be playing golf. He prefers baseball , so he's not 100% committed and his heart doesn't lead his mind. He just let his physical ability go to work and leaves emotions out of golf that he seems to have little emotion for.
WhoopN06
FirefightAg said:

The reason it seems Brooks isn't emotional is because he doesn't even want to be playing golf. He prefers basketball , so he's not 100% committed and his heart doesn't lead his mind. He just let his physical ability go to work and leaves emotions out of golf that he seems to have little emotion for.

Yeah that's it.
Bunk Moreland
FirefightAg said:

The reason it seems Brooks isn't emotional is because he doesn't even want to be playing golf. He prefers basketball , so he's not 100% committed and his heart doesn't lead his mind. He just let his physical ability go to work and leaves emotions out of golf that he seems to have little emotion for.

I think this is just a talking point that isn't true. I get the "I'd rather play other sports" thing, but there was an article after the us open that said when he was 12 he told his dad he was gonna turn pro (in golf) at 16 and drop out of hs but his dad said not only would he not drop out of hs, but he'd go to college as well before turning pro.

So golf has been incredibly important to him for some time. The "he likes other sports better" is just a weird narrative that has caught on.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As stonefaced as he is, you can see the very subtle signs of the tension, pressure, relief, etc in his face. He's just really, really good at controlling and masking it. But there are some signs - sometimes it's deeper breaths, his face will clinch a bit, the nostrils flare a bit, etc. Very subtle.

This also reminds me about commentary on JT last year. I think around 15-16 he ate some peanuts or something, and the announcers were like "OMG, all this pressure and he's so cool and relaxed he's eating." Then JT admits later that he was so nervous that he couldn't swallow the food.
_lefraud_
AG
Yep, and no doubt the pouch Koepka keeps under his lip helps him control his nerves and allows him to focus on what he wants to do.
PJYoung
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

The second best golfer of the last 30 years (Phil) has 5 majors. If Koepka gets 6-7 that's saying a lot.

Phil had the misfortune of playing most of those years with a guy who won 14 majors. I doubt Koepka has that problem.
PJYoung
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I feel like its less his demeanor and more a statement about golf coverage. They pump up stories and stars. They then think they've got the next coming of tiger and try to create it. When it doesn't work they still stay on those guys.

It was said earlier in this thread I think, but the broadcasters incredulously wondering why he doesn't get his due is hilarious. It's because of how they choose to show golf tournaments. Perfect example was today. He never lost the lead the entire time yet there were multiple times his shots were shown to us on delay because they were covering tiger standing on a green waiting for Woodland to putt or JT pitching around a green down 3 strokes. They cut to Brooks, he nuts his shot (on delay), catch up with his live putt, then back to the players the production crew has decided America wants to see.

That's not to say he couldn't help himself by bringing a little energy...but if that's not his style, and he's dominating probably the strongest field in the history of golf... It's on them to craft that narrative correctly. Not him.

Agreed but he won, he didn't dominate. If he had sunk every 10 footer he saw Sunday then he would've dominated.
BreNayPop
AG
Koepka is a hell of a player.

But he aint dominating. Tiger nearly won taking 250 yd iron tee shots on half the holes and giving up 80-100 yards to these guys. That ridiculous. Dj flamed out, finau had one good day, jday and rory couldn't putt, speith is in his own head, and freakin adam scott was riding koepkas bumper most of the day. I think these guys are just spent and the time off koepka took was to his benefit. Will be interesting to see how major timing next year affects these guys.
Bunk Moreland
it took a 64 for someone to be within 2 strokes of him. He never lost the lead all day and the next 10 guys behind him all fired rounds in the 60's and he coasted to a final round 66 that could have easily been 62.

Y'all call it what you prefer, but to me that's pretty dominant.
khaos288
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

it took a 64 for someone to be within 2 strokes of him. He never lost the lead all day and the next 10 guys behind him all fired rounds in the 60's and he coasted to a final round 66 that could have easily been 62.

This game don't play in golf. Walking off the course every round ever could have been 10 shots better. The score is what it is. If Tiger hit more fairways he shoots 59 to win. etc etc.
Bunk Moreland
khaos288 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

This game don't play in golf. Walking off the course every round ever could have been 10 shots better. The score is what it is. If Tiger hit more fairways he shoots 59 to win. etc etc.

What I'm saying is he didn't bust a nut to get his 66. He breezed to it. I'm not giving him credit for strokes he shots he didn't earn.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Hell, Tiger had 2 putts that were less than a quarter inch from dropping.
BreNayPop
AG
We shall see what happens when these guys are all healthy. Brooks is a stud, but he hasnt played like the "next coming" of greatness yet. The fact that he isnt consistently winning outside of majors has me holding back. Doesnt take much to lose that edge...
BreNayPop
AG
And tiger got breaks all day, from playable balls hit into the gallery/rough way offline, to staying out of the water... zero fairways on the front 9 is stupid on his part. Ive never seen a guy so dialed in with his irons not be able to hit a fairway with an iron.
DannyDuberstein
AG
LOL. He shot 66 to win his 3rd out of 6 majors. Guys finishing behind him shot 64, 67, 67.

Only guys to win the US Open and PGA in the same year: Sarazen, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods ... Koepka

Seems pretty dominating to me.
khaos288
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

khaos288 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

What I'm saying is he didn't bust a nut to get his 66. He breezed to it. I'm not giving him credit for strokes he shots he didn't earn.
Just giving you a hard time because you are clearly giving him credit for strokes he didn't earn by qualifying your statement with "Easily". If it were easy, then he would have done it.

Does he have the game to go lower than 66? Sure, but putting that pressure on during a final round of a major may have been his undoing. We'll never know.

He played his game to a 66, and it got him the win. That's what he needed to do, and it worked. The lucky part for him is Adam Scott didn't shoot the 64 instead of Tiger, or Tiger didn't try to attack the par 5 for eagle with his tee shot and give himself an easier birdie 63 to force a playoff.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would point out that Koepka was the only guy on the leaderboard to shoot 63 in this tournament, which was tied for the lowest round by anyone in the tournament (Schwartzel did too but blew up Sunday).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
BreNayPop said:

And tiger got breaks all day, from playable balls hit into the gallery/rough way offline, to staying out of the water... zero fairways on the front 9 is stupid on his part. Ive never seen a guy so dialed in with his irons not be able to hit a fairway with an iron.

Of course. Was more commenting on the Brooks could have shot 62 comment. It's a slippery slope that every golfer can say they would have shot better aside from a few unlucky breaks. As you also mentioned, most of us forget the lucky breaks that allowed us to shoot lower than we could have.
Arthur Stilwell
Tiger's charge notwithstanding, it seemed boring because you had the sense that Koepka was completely in control. Even after Scott made that birdie to tie the lead, everybody knew that was only temporary.
PJYoung
AG
We've seen people win majors by 10+ strokes. I'll save the word dominate for those performances.

Koepka was amazing and seems to be set up to win a lot more majors, no doubt. I don't find great golf boring and he is a great golfer.
AgLA06
AG
Arthur Stilwell said:

Tiger's charge notwithstanding, it seemed boring because you had the sense that Koepka was completely in control. Even after Scott made that birdie to tie the lead, everybody knew that was only temporary.

That's pretty inaccurate. He'll, go back and look at this thread. The Tiger fan boys alone thought he was going to win long after that. The bias in a lot of these posts is entertaining.

There was a lot of *****ing Thursday and Friday, but this was a heck of a fun tournament that lived up to it's major billing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
PJYoung said:

We've seen people win majors by 10+ strokes.
By people, you mean one people - Tiger. Unless you were alive when Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris did it.

For what Tiger did in 1997 and 2000, I wouldn't even use the word "dominating". Not sure there is a word for it.
Arthur Stilwell
AgLA06 said:

Arthur Stilwell said:

That's pretty inaccurate. He'll, go back and look at this thread. The Tiger fan boys alone thought he was going to win long after that. The bias in a lot of these posts is entertaining.

There was a lot of *****ing Thursday and Friday, but this was a heck of a fun tournament that lived up to it's major billing.
Tiger fanboys are delusional so you should take it with a grain of salt.

I was rooting for Tiger but I knew he was done after he made a bogey on 14.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.