*** 2018 PGA Championship Thread ***

40,222 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Arthur Stilwell
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coverage was just a couple of hours Saturday and Sunday and only the back 9 back then.
Duckhook
AG
That's true. And you saw every one of Jack's shots while they were on air.
JCA1
AG
Tiger's ability to "transcend" so to speak is probably a function of everything already mentioned. You had the explosion of cable TV/internet so sports coverage was much more pervasive. His ethnicity probably played a role too, as golf was often thought of as a stuffy, white man's game. The fact that he was anointed as the heir apparent since he was a teen who lived up to the hype is a big part of it as well. People started following his career very early on. As corollaries, Lebron and Sidney Crosby were like this as well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Also helps when you kick the door down as dramatically as he did at Augusta in '97. It wasn't just some "wow, this young whipper-snapper managed to win a green jacket". He absolutely destroyed the field and the course. It wasn't just "wow, what a great young player". It was "this is something we have never seen before".
DannyDuberstein
AG
And Jack's door-kicking was being a 22 year old that took down the beloved Arnie in his prime in a US Open playoff.

They didn't come out of nowhere because they had such great Amateur careers, but as pros, both guys grabbed attention right away with bold wins. Basically a punch in the face of "yeah, I'm here. and I'm even better than you thought."
jj9000
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Also helps when you kick the door down as dramatically as he did at Augusta in '97. It wasn't just some "wow, this young whipper-snapper managed to win a green jacket". He absolutely destroyed the field and the course. It wasn't just "wow, what a great young player". It was "this is something we have never seen before".
Yep.

Here's a nerded out fun-fact tie-in from that '97 Masters and last weekend's PGA.

The Cameron Newport Tei3 that Tiger used in the '97 Masters has the same insert as the Cameron Newport 2 Button Back that Brooks used last weekend.
jja79
AG
I don't remember it that way. I don't recall them having enough cameras on the course to do that. That's how I recall watching in the 1960's anyway.
White Liberals=The Worst
DannyDuberstein said:

If you need an athlete to show personality in order not to be bored by watching them, you are officially gay. Or a woman.
Brooks is eye candy no doubt, but you better have a personality to go with those bulging biceps, that tan body, and that 310 yd carry or I'm lookin elsewhere (no homo).
DannyDuberstein
AG
White Liberals=The Worst
I'll be honest though, while I care much more about the quality of golf than the "personality" of the golfer, when Patrick Reed was caught saying to himself "nice three putt you f-ing f****t" he immediately won me over. That's me right there...minus the skill.
WhoopN06
This thread has taken a very weird turn. Wtf Golf board.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
The latest No Laying Up podcast discusses why Koepka isn't seen as a star in golf.

He has kind of refused the do the press tour after winning the US Open and has never expressed interest in interviews.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

I'll be honest though, while I care much more about the quality of golf than the "personality" of the golfer, when Patrick Reed was caught saying to himself "nice three putt you f-ing f****t" he immediately won me over. That's me right there...minus the skill.
Same. He said after a terrible approach once:
"You look like a ****ing amateur"
WhoopN06
Patrick Reed won me over based solely on his performance in the Ryder Cup. He's the American Poulter, with a Major. Dude is nails.
PJYoung
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Patrick Reed won me over based solely on his performance in the Ryder Cup. He's the American Poulter, with a Major. Dude is nails.

Same.
Harry Stone
AG
the match against Rory will still go down as the most exciting match I've ever seen.
WhoopN06
Concur. Though the Phil Sergio match in 2016 might have actually been a better match. I can't remember exactly but I think Sergio might've shot 62 and Phil 63.

They legitimately played better than Reed and Rory. Though Reed and Rory made it more exciting.
agsalaska
AG
Good article today on Koepka

Read this. He says in it 'I don't like people.' LOL. Thats exactly how I would be. I would also be cussing at myself and I occasionally break a club.
jj9000
AG
Good article.

I like the fact that he's honest about his pursuit of baseball, and doesn't spout off media talking points.

He's made the best of his situation.

Also... I'd like to see the full workout routine that he and DJ go through...and then do it.
Arthur Stilwell
Yes - I was checking out his gf's IG.

Pic taken in May.

https://instagr.am/p/BjBe0CAgjnz

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.