Business & Investing
Sponsored by

So bitcoin hit 1000 today

24,048 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by p-townag
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wheelskjm said:

Ragoo said:

wheelskjm said:

It's incredibly naive to think that in a global crisis where no infrastructure exists that you have a valid solution in gold or anything else other than bullets and ammo and force.
gold has been and always will be a treasured metal. Without the internet bitcoin doesn't exist.

The past can only imitate the future, it doesn't dictate the future. Without people gold isn't valuable. See? World ending scenario D, gold would be worthless.
when high tech was a wheel gold was prized, as tech advanced gold was prized. The western world was colonized because of the search for gold. The desire to obtain gold will never go away. The fact that you have to post 10,000 times to try and convince people on the merits of bitcoin tells me that it is not prized and a niche investment. Niche investments are very risky and most portfolios will avoid, further reducing the demand.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
aggie028
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Satoshi nakamoto was not here.
FriendlyAg
wheelskjm said:

Advantages:
First mover. Most popular of the market it created (cryptocurrency). Proven effective despite risks. Nascent technology. 8 years old.

Effective how?
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Ragoo
AG
wheelskjm said:

Bitcoin was less volatile than oil this year.
how often are you buying groceries with oil? What is even your point with this comparison?
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
ATM9000
AG
wheelskjm said:

Bitcoin was less volatile than oil this year.

Based on Brent? It's close... but that's a false statement.

Annualized Spot, Brent's around vol was around 46, Bitcoin abt 49.5.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
PooDoo
AG
I wish I started mining them when they first came out.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
aggie028
I'm not sure I understand which are advantages over gold or USD?

The things you listed don't sound like advantages at all over gold or USD. If anything, you tried to argue it is equal because it isn't going away? I need a lot more than equal to take risk.

bigcat22
AG
I think it's going to be really interesting to see how Bitcoin regulations unfold. Currently some view it as a currency while at the same time others view it as a commodity.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
bigcat22
AG
Yeah but as it becomes more mainstream there's going to be more and more pressure to regulate it somehow
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
libertyag
AG
I have for sale a digital house on digital acreage. So many advantages to it. One, it is digital and never needs repair. Also, the appraisal district cannot see it, cannot measure it, and thus no property taxes. It cannot be destroyed so you do not need to insure it. If anyone is interested, let me know. I pay all the closing costs.
wheelskjm
AG
Libertyag is full of intelligence. Follow him.
libertyag
AG
wheelskjm said:

How do I use digital house? Is house trsdable? How are other people using similar houses? How much inventory is avaliable

It's ironic because bitcoin is similar to property on a platform. Only limited plots and completely consumable.
You live in a digital house, digitally. You can rent it if you so choose, Yes, it is tradable, it is all about trust.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
Crazy, because the digital currency I traded recently from a digital website on which I play digital poker for another digital currency ultimately resulted in a transaction for real world beers that I enjoyed this weekend on my real world couch (which was also acquired from the same digital currency pathway as the beers). I get your point, but your analogy sucks.
Buck Compton
AG
wheelskjm said:

Prove it.

See, this is the hard part that bitcoin, thru its blockchain, has solved. Proof of ownership of a digital asset, provable and uncounterfeitable.
I find it hard to understand why you are such a fanboy for this brand. That's all it is, a brand. BitCoin is nothing special. Blockchain technology is. Cryptocurrencies, while bringing the technology to the mainstream, will not be supplanting traditional national currencies.

Blockchain technology will do wonders for MNCs and large banks, especially with regards to supplier/vendor payments and international or interbank transfers. Once fully matured, it will change the way we look at A/R and A/P (removing a few huge advantages that come with being the behemoth in the room). You will no longer have a company like WalMart dictating A/P or A/R terms to the companies they do business with.

We're 35 years from that being a serious consideration though. The first stage will be companies like WalMart implementing a blockchain-based A/R system - ensuring payments from vendors are confirmed and arrive instantaneously. They will do everything in their power to delay adoption of the same at their suppliers. Banks will (and already have) set up digital clearinghouses.

Using BitCoin as a currency rather than treating it like a high-risk commodity will ensure it remains volatile but useful to people in harsh political climates and those who experience hyper-inflation. It will rise and fall, not only with the market, but with the ebbs and flows of this supply/demand dynamic. It will never replace the currency of a truly developed country, because it doesn't behave like a currency.

And even if it ever did, it's funny that you say "Maybe, Maybe Not" to the question of regulation. You are a naive and short-term thinker if you don't think every single government would drop the regulation hammer if it began to hurt them or remove their power. Honestly, it's a situation like this that represents exactly what a federal government should be concentrating on. Consumer protection and trust in an economy - when a layman doesn't understand this technology, he will be taken advantage of - the government will (and should) act to prevent that.
JustPanda
AG
45 of 93 posts are from the bitcoin king. 1.613% from owning this thread (50.1%).
wheelskjm
AG
Derp. You're well educated. You're probably right.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Buck Compton
AG
wheelskjm said:

Then you said "never" and then I recognized that you never assumed that current systems are not infallible.
Oh, current systems have their flaws, for sure. But so does BitCoin. So does blockchain. I think there is a place for BitCoin, but it isn't as a universal currency.

The "never" is because those who truly hold the power will not allow it to supplant traditional currencies (nor should they). They wield a lot of power through controlling monetary supply, interest rates, etc. - and in theory have the ability to prevent many of the issues that were all too common before fiat money. Do we always use it correctly or wisely or prevent crashes? No, but that is another issue.
wheelskjm
AG
Disengaged.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah I don't I lost it all. Sold the rest for bits of string.
Ag13
AG
Bitcoin down to 809
JustPanda
AG
gindaloon
AG
Quote:

The fall comes after China announced it had begun investigating bitcoin exchanges in Beijing and Shanghai on suspicion of market manipulation, money laundering, unauthorized financing, and other issues, Reuters reports.
Diggity
AG
30% drop in one week....that ain't good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.