Business & Investing
Sponsored by

So bitcoin hit 1000 today

23,871 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by p-townag
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gindaloon said:

Quote:

The fall comes after China announced it had begun investigating bitcoin exchanges in Beijing and Shanghai on suspicion of market manipulation, money laundering, unauthorized financing, and other issues, Reuters reports.

Bitcoin is trust, plain and simple.
Old Buffalo
AG
Diggity said:

30% drop in one week....that ain't good.

You're missing out on the valuable technology piece which is why my life savings is tied up in this currency because fiat money sucks! /wheels
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Flogi
Dude stop with the 'buy gold', television sales pitches.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
aggie028
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Buck Compton
AG
BitCoin is absolutely nothing like online shopping. At all. You're not helping your case.
Old Buffalo
AG
The main purpose of currency is a store of value, which Bitcoin has none.

Keep arguing for technological change, but that's not a value creation. Bitcoin currency does not gain or lose value from technology being adopted.
Foamcows
AG
wheelskjm said:

Amazon invested in internet services before big box stores thought it was a viable opportunity.

They had a webite in 1994. This is 3 years following the very first website being created. It was a garage run book store with online presence. Internet became a very core competency for this business while big box sat on their laurels, it being too risky or top cumbersome to get involved.

12 years later the chart tracks continued growth where big box faltered. They thought no one would buy online, they thought people wouldnt trust it without seeing or touching the product. Strategic decision but now Best Buy is the Amazon Showroom, sears is selling off their brands, etc.

Just educate yourself, don't be a victim of your own ego by refusing to use or attempt to use cryptocurrency because it's too hard.

The people willing to take the time and risk will gain a competitive advantage over the established players, like Amazon has dne amazingly by staying on the cutting edge of internet retail technology, and being first or easiest to use. Disregarding logistics upgrades like their "chaotic storage" allowing them to make it as easy and quick as going to the store, from home. There's many reasons for their growth, and I'm not the most educated on everything amazon, but they killed the mall, and their competition. Now theyre expanding services in the cloud and servers and amazing other techs.

Point is, don't denigrate this new tech you don't know it's capabilities now, nor what it could turn into in the future.

Good luck.
Good god... using that logic, lets just invest in any new tech... go all in... worked well for HD-DVD and Betamax
aggie028
Amazon was trying to create value - in a way that some disagreed with... sure. But yes, they overcame the logistics issue with free 2 day shipping and the rest is history.

We knew what they were trying to become and how they wanted to generate value.

What is it bitcoin is trying to replace and create?
JustPanda
AG
Amazon started off a bookstore and changed their corporate mission statement about 2 years after the above post. So, they actually would have likely failed had they not changed their strategic vision because they weren't profitable and their niche was having margin compression. That compression is what led Bezos to change the entire structure. If anything, you talking about Amazon only decapitates what little Men in Black gun Salesman sized head of an argument you had. It actually shows yet another limitation of bitcoin: it cannot pivot to meet marketplace changes. So, its a intangible asset (per the US Govt IRS current IRC code) with no actual strategic vision, and at the whim of every sovereign nations individual currency controls.

SOUNDS LIKE A HOMERUN! When Bitcoin takes a bite out of the Renmimbi, China will use all of its power to shower them with acid....Oh wait, they are doing that now....and providing a road map for other undeveloped countries with powerful central banks.

So, PLEASE STOP COMPARING IT TO ANY COMPANY WITH CASH FLOW. Mutually exclusive and independent. The more you spout, the more water your ship takes on, and right now you're making the Titanic look buoyant as a tethered platform.
wheelskjm
AG
What was I doing with my life arguing with tools like liberty and zone... ****.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
gindaloon said:

Quote:

The fall comes after China announced it had begun investigating bitcoin exchanges in Beijing and Shanghai on suspicion of market manipulation, money laundering, unauthorized financing, and other issues, Reuters reports.

China... accusing someone of market manipulation?
aggie028
Potential for what?
JustPanda
AG
Potential abound. Amazing potential. So much potential, to even quantify it would be a disservice.

Right now it is but a single flint stone. Soon, it will be formed into a sharpened flint blade, with enough cognitive exercising of our minds to not fall for the past's heuristical fallacy's, we can perhaps turn that stone into iron and forge and propel our empowered cognitive selves to a level of actualization where we can achieve anything. The key is forgetting the past, focusing on the future, and harnessing the "potential".

L Ron Hubbard is on line 1
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
supper
wheels, is it still a good time to get some bitcoin in your opinion?

you;ve been following this thing from day 1
wheelskjm
AG
I sold my fake money for bits of string. Anyone accept?
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
aggie028
After reading your post, i don't see anything there that makes one think they should invest in bitcoin. It's all about blockchain technology. I don't dispute blockchain technology is interesring.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
aggie028
Security is one of the biggest issues moving forward. If banks can utilize it to make things more secure, it could have a big future there.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
aggie028
Security in general - I don't know if this is the answer but obviously hacking needs to be a thing of the past at some point.

Am I misunderstanding something - it seems you are switching the topic from bitcoin to blockchain in general? How do these other blockchain ideas relate to bitcoin? How do they make bitcoin more valuable or make it more like a currency than gold or a pure gamble?
JustPanda
AG
This thread need an old school pron blast to put it out of its misery.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
SACR
AG

what is the difference between bitcoin and virtual bartering?

How is accepting bitcoin any different than saying "I'll trade you a paperclip for a fish pen"?

wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Diggity
AG
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
gindaloon
AG
Good Times

More incredibly positive developments

- Wheelskjm
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.