Business & Investing
Sponsored by

So bitcoin hit 1000 today

23,827 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by p-townag
wheelskjm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nah
JustPanda
JustPanda
AG
Over 50% of the posts on this thread are from one poster. For a 5 a page thread that might be a record. That poster has also recorded over 200% more lines of text than the aggregated total of the other posts. That's a lot of text.
Foamcows
AG
Welp. Bitcoin found a way to bite me in the ass. Sure I thought made some money by getting in a few months ago and selling off in the most recent peak, but it appears that money has gone up in smoke.

I was using Coinbase to manage my funds as they are larger, popular, and have an easy to use app.

Two weeks ago I sold everything and attempted to deposit the funds in my bank account. Welp, I saw the deposits attempt to post but then saw another withdrawal in the same amount at the exact same time in my chase statement. Fast forward to today... no funds in my chase account and my balance is showing zero in Coinbase.

Now I'm at the mercy of an company (if Coinbase is one) that has no face. They only allow me to email them which they have yet to reply... I highly doubt I'll see any of my original investment.

This is a huge reason to avoid bitcoin all together. I would be better off finding some back alley bookie. Learn from me and invest your money is more traditional avenues. Bitcoin...never again.
jh0400
AG
But BTC is all about trust...
JustPanda
AG
wheels will pay you back
JustPanda
AG
https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/financial-services/coinbase-inc-in-san-francisco-ca-454104/reviews-and-complaints

You mean 90% negative reviews shouldn't be trusted?

1.65*s out of 5 rating!

http://bittrust.org/coinbase

First google search going "Coinbase Review" comes up with 4 links that have the term "Scam"
Pepper Brooks
AG
Wonder if wheels shows up again
wheelskjm
AG
Foam cows should edit his post. Good thing you sold it off...
wheelskjm
AG
Weak minds, weak actions.
JustPanda
AG
Sounds odd that he is SOL, you make a phone call, and promise it'll be fixed. Only makes this entire process more shady.

Can you imagine if this was a real currency: "I just called the Fed and they are going to allow you access to the window.)

The fact the employees go by # is really weird, too. reminds me of the simpsons where homers gets banned from his own secret society.
wheelskjm
AG
Zoneclub knows his ***** Take his investing advice.
aggie028
HustlerAggie
Anyone seen the documentary "Banking on Bitcoin" that just came out?

Foamcows
AG
I have a case Id, and I did receive a reply today from Kyle. He said wait a bit more as it is taking longer than indicated when I made the withdrawal from Coinbase.

I checked just 30 minutes ago and I now see the funds in my chase account (which is great) however now I have the opposite issue it appears. I have the money in my bank account AND the original amount is also back in my Coinbase... so now I have double what I should. I will most likely write them back informing them of the issue as I would prefer to just get everything sorted and be done with it.

This is way to buggy to throw anything but fun money at... you pretty much just have to assume anything you invest will be gone and hope for the best.

I've had other issues I've been silent about but maybe I should voice. Two weeks ago when everything was going wild I attempted to exchange from bitcoin to usd and it wouldn't. It was overloaded. Definitely not ideal and not something you would want in this volatile of a market. I was locked out for 30 minutes, which in bitcoin is an eternity.
wheelskjm
AG
Herp derp
aggie028
wheelskjm
AG
Derp a lerp
JustPanda
AG
Give up. Your ship battleship got sunk. People on here tried it, got burned, you want to throw around red herrings to disguise the opaqueness of the market and its participants, you completely glossed over the "now we have another issue" showing the currency is a farce and goes against 99% of your original argument because now you have exchanged bitcoins and regenerated bitcoins. Counterfeit bitcoins? Who knows? Maybe give your "guy" a call because what little wall Humpy Dumpy was sitting on is crashing down like the Light House of Alexandria.
JustPanda
AG
I'd bet money that wheels has a financial interest in coin base. He knows the employees by their names/numbers, reaches them on a weekend, and gets it resolved within 12 hours. Notwithstanding the fact he completely glossed over the inability to cash out because of an overload in the system.

Funny that he knows so much about this particular company, yet fails to recognize that what he is posting is directly contracticted by about 10,000 reviews online including the BBB and one of the cryptocurrency "watch dogs" ("watch dogs" since the only real regulators are group blogs of former employees and investors).
redsox34
AG
wheels is the worst
wheelskjm
AG
Ahhh my crypto battleship sunk... jk zoneclub a dumbass
aggie028
JustPanda
AG
wheelskjm said:

Attack attack attack, whatever.

I've used coinbase with next to no issues for years now, and all issues were resolved.

I helped start a nonprofit in Houston around cryptocurrency education and had speakers from different companies, funds, currencies speak monthly. It's still a relatively small market of people building and employed in the crypto world, I'm sure you can imagine.

So you admit to having a what appears to be conflict of interest as you promote the companies you invest in under the guise of education. Are you using federal or state funding to conduct such series? Are they funded by the companies in which you're promoting? If so on either account, do you disclose your material holdings to assuage any potential conflict of interest and empire building motives when presenting marketing material?

Also, you never answered as to if you hold direct or indirect ownsership or preferred placement options, warrants, or any other potential compensation related to any entity or subsidiary of any entity you have posted about or respond to in this thread. Do you? Also, if you have personal affiliations that could be considered material, please disclose them.

By making consistent recommendations to buy Bitcoin, Have to think you are running very near the three pronged test of needing to be registered an licensed as a broker and advisor as you are giving specific recommendations on what you are labeling a currency/asset.

Please tread lightly as this is only becoming murkerier and murkier as to the legality of your pitch, your failure to disclose, a poster using your direct recommendation to invest, a material loss occurring, and the company in which you promoted not operating as implied across multiple attempts at satisfactory due diligence.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Diggity
AG
I've given you some crap on here wheels but there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy.

Keep up the good fight and in five years you can bump this thread and make us all look as silly as the guys predicting the demise of Netflix.
cheeky
AG
Two things:

WTF is a chartered retirement camp counselor?

Bitcoin is not the future.

Carry on
Foamcows
AG
Update. Accounts have been sorted and everything is now netting out as expected. I have removed all connections to my credit cards and bank accounts (hopefully).

In the end I'm leaving Coinbase behind for the same reasons I left behind robinhood. They aren't fine tuned yet. They are way to rough on the edges and work the worst when you need them the most. Both times with markets became volatile they locked me out, not by design but because the servers were overloaded. In the meantime I'm stuck on the outside hoping for a good outcome.

This doesn't happen with larger established investment firms.

I'm probably done with bitcoin for now. It doesn't have enough indicators for me on which direction it might go. Plus the same reasons I don't tinker in forex in that it's 24/7/365. The most recent crash came at 1am. Go to bed at 1150$ and wake up and it's 900$ and falling... yes, this happens in all markets, even when they are closed...but in the other markets they offer more advanced trading options with stop losses and other ways to protect yourself.

Wheel, I appreciate the offer to help with Coinbase. It's a little scary that you are on first name basis with them but I understand the offer was well intentioned.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah.
Shawdaddy
AG
If you want some exposure to bitcoin, but also want to avoid some of the problems foamcows experienced, what is the downside to a bitcoin ETF? Less volatility?

wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Shawdaddy
AG
Lol, I should have looked into it a bit first , just assumed there would be one out there -- apparently the SEC will be making an approval decision on it in March. Will be interesting to see how that goes.
redsox34
AG
$GBTC

Don't worry, it fell off a cliff too.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Buck Compton
AG
wheelskjm said:

http://www.coindesk.com/microsoft-unveils-project-manifest-a-plan-for-product-tracking-via-blockchain/

How Microsoft plans to use ethereum's blockchain to prove point of origin using RFID's.
(Currency is just a one of many use cases for cryptocurrency).
I used to just think you were over-exuberant or over-confident due to your personal stake...

But now I'm not so sure. Do you even understand the technology? Blockchain is not cryptocurrency or bitcoin, but rather an underlying technology those are built on.... your statement "Currency is just a one of many use cases for cryptocurrency" is semantically null and void.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.