Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,991,363 Views | 231573 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Swollen Thumb
Heineken-Ashi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spoony Love said:

That's not a question. Learn us something.

Please.
Coming off the last high in rates, we had a significant drop from 5.02% to 3.78% in the 10Y. Since then, it's moved up in choppy fashion. The chart off the 2020 bottom is not clean and very hard to decipher. This happens in many stages on many different instruments, especially in periods of sideways chop. Trying to identify channels and waves can be really really hard. When things get this cloudy, it's usually best to just avoid it until some clarity starts to present.

While the long term chart is still unclear (I can make a case for this moving to 7%-10% just as easy as 2%-3%), the short term has become quite clear. Since I'm not one to pound the table anymore on definite targets, I like to run 2-3 charts simultaneously as long as all of them stay within the confines of the rules and make sense. And this one has 3 potentials that I'm watching, all focusing on the 2024 action since the last low.

1. The first is a topping pattern where the move down into the recent low was our A wave, the first of 3 waves in a correction. We are working on the top of the B wave "retrace" back up. Next up would be a drop below the last low, likely down to 3%-3.5% range for the C wave.

2. Nearly completed leading diagonal. A LD is a 5-wave move that tends to be more choppy and overlapping than a standard lightning bolt impulse. It usually moves in 3-wave patterns instead of 5-wave patterns, making it hard to track as every single move is "corrective" in nature. But they usually adhere to clear channels or trend lines. They are either contracting or expanding in most cases. I won't go over all of the rules. Type in leading diagonal in google and you can find many resources explaining them. But just know that no rules are broken here.

3. This option is a larger LD. And this is my preference as it's the cleanest chart. This says that we are topping in the 3rd wave with a swing down for the 4th on the horizon before the 5th wave tops at 5%.

The one thing I'm not tracking is a potential for very large spike up. I don't see it as imminent. But if it starts to look like that, I will have to start tracking it.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Heineken-Ashi
LMCane said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

S&P Real Estate sector down almost 5%. No rate cuts to bail out troubled loans = doom. KRE (regional banking) down 5.5%. XLF to likely follow.
I always hear "smart money" claim that while KRE and the smaller banks will go down

Jaime Dimon and JP Morgan / Goldman Sachs / BOA will all make out like bandits as well as Mastercard and Visa/AMEX

thoughts?
saferbankingresearch.com

Lots of free articles without having to subscribe covering smaller banks, the FED, large banks, etc. These are banking sector / accounting experts that have been tracking all public US banks for years. They teamed up with Avi Gilburt a couple years ago when he started to detect weakness in the banking sector on the horizon and wanted to provide his subscribers (many of which are high net worth, retired, or money managers) with analysis on which banks will be the safest moving forward.

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
Spoony Love
AG
So let me get this straight: my great, great grandkid is going to be paying for today's spending?

Ain't no way we can cover those interest payments for that rate sustainably.
FishrCoAg
AG
LMCane said:

my buddy created a chart showing the yields of $10,000 with 1 month Treasury bonds at 5.3%

it comes out to $17,134 if you keep rolling that over for an entire year.

are we missing something here?

I'm gonna need to see the math on that. A 5.3% bond will pay you about $44 and change in interest the first month.
Heineken-Ashi
Spoony Love said:

So let me get this straight: my great, great grandkid is going to be paying for today's spending?

I'll just copy a post I made this morning on the "we don't need to worry about inflation" thread..

Quote:

Remember that the FED will run a cumulative deficit called "deferred assets" on their balance sheet. They have absolutely no requirement to do anything as they can let that number dip as low as it wants. They don't have to pay interest right now, as they have control of the money supply and can dig their hole as deep as they want knowing they ultimately can wreck everything to save their own ass.

Where the issue comes in is with the treasury. In the most bullish case, the FED admitted that there won't be remittances to the treasury until 2029 at the earliest. And we are already breaking from that case. It's probably up to early 2030's already in a best case scenario.

So the treasury is getting nothing from the FED. The only place the treasury can now get money from to cover WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY PLANNED TO SPEND, and what they want to spend new money on, is through tax revenue and issuing new treasuries with the FED buying them, expanding their balance sheet. The FED can do that at these rates, higher rates, or lower rates. Though as you point out, without lowering rates, they would dig their hole exponentially deeper and kick the remittances down the road decades.

But if the FED were to lower rates to do this, it would be catastrophic for inflation. 2022 will seem like a blip on the radar. Hyperinflation will ensue. 70's and 80's part 2, except the economic backdrop and starting point was already 6ft under.

Like I've said for over a year now, the FED can't do anything without getting directly blamed for what breaks. So they will wait for something to break to first, and then they will act based on what bond yields are doing. If they are rocketing, the FED will raise. If they are tanking, the FED will lower.

Spoony Love
AG
Sounds like the FED needs to let go and let God.

Good grief folks: start growing your own food or know someone who does.

If you can get your hands on about 6-7 acres, you can grow just about anything you would eat. No need for a heard, just raise a steer at a time. Raise meat chickens and layers. Build garden and put food away. Put some fruit trees in the ground and wait (but prune to increase yield). Let a pig tear up ground for the gardens then process. All it costs is sweat and a few bucks.
flashplayer
AG
FishrCoAg said:

LMCane said:

my buddy created a chart showing the yields of $10,000 with 1 month Treasury bonds at 5.3%

I'm gonna need to see the math on that. A 5.3% bond will pay you about $44 and change in interest the first month.

Very clearly someone forgot to divide by 12 when determining the monthly gain.

Hell, if they could make that we would all be full bore into treasury bills.
ProgN
Heineken-Ashi said:

Spoony Love said:

I'll just copy a post I made this morning on the "we don't need to worry about inflation" thread..

I can't put into word how much fun and enjoyment that thread brings me every time it's bumped, especially when the dip**** OP bumped his own embarrassing thread.

ETA: Here's the thread in the event some here doesn't know what we're referring to. Just read the OP before you read the replies.

The reason we should not be concerned about inflation - Page 25 | TexAgs
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LMCane said:

ProgN
flashplayer said:

FishrCoAg said:

LMCane said:

Very clearly someone forgot to divide by 12 when determining the monthly gain.

Hell, if they could make that we would all be full bore into treasury bills.

You are exactly right. It's a common mistake, but they learn when they try to implement their plan.
Brewmaster
AG
Spoony Love said:

If you can get your hands on about 6-7 acres, you can grow just about anything you would eat. No need for a heard, just raise a steer at a time. Raise meat chickens and layers. Build garden and put food away. Put some fruit trees in the ground and wait (but prune to increase yield). Let a pig tear up ground for the gardens then process. All it costs is sweat and a few bucks.
Amen brother. Is it wrong of me to look at north of Bryan and south of Hearne area as prime real estate for something like this? it is amazing how cheap it is up there, I know it's a dump, but wow. All of central TX will eventually get caught up (real estate prices).

Red Pear is actually helping us now, looking at a property not far from downtown Bryan. Definitely not a homestead type of property, but it's a big lot, could do plenty there.
FishrCoAg
AG
Brewmaster said:

Spoony Love said:

Amen brother. Is it wrong of me to look at north of Bryan and south of Hearne area as prime real estate for something like this? it is amazing how cheap it is up there, I know it's a dump, but wow. All of central TX will eventually get caught up (real estate prices).

Red Pear is actually helping us now, looking at a property not far from downtown Bryan. Definitely not a homestead type of property, but it's a big lot, could do plenty there.

As a country veterinarian I'm still trying to figure out the raise a steer at a time plan!
Brewmaster
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Spoony Love said:

So the treasury is getting nothing from the FED. The only place the treasury can now get money from to cover WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY PLANNED TO SPEND, and what they want to spend new money on, is through tax revenue and issuing new treasuries with the FED buying them, expanding their balance sheet. The FED can do that at these rates, higher rates, or lower rates. Though as you point out, without lowering rates, they would dig their hole exponentially deeper and kick the remittances down the road decades.

But if the FED were to lower rates to do this, it would be catastrophic for inflation. 2022 will seem like a blip on the radar. Hyperinflation will ensue. 70's and 80's part 2, except the economic backdrop and starting point was already 6ft under.

Like I've said for over a year now, the FED can't do anything without getting directly blamed for what breaks. So they will wait for something to break to first, and then they will act based on what bond yields are doing. If they are rocketing, the FED will raise. If they are tanking, the FED will lower.
Yeah hyper inflation seems inevitable at this point. and with the amount they have given away, this is going to be the 2.0 version. Metals will be king again. Japan's forgotten years come to mind, ouch.

At this point, lower rates seem inevitable, otherwise they won't just crush regional banks, they will crush the entire U.S. economy.
Brewmaster
AG
barter? trade vet services for half a cow? lol, I laugh, but I bet it's been done before!
Spoony Love
AG
You just always have to have a steer. The key for me is the breed of cattle I raise. But I know what you mean
ProgN
FishrCoAg said:

Brewmaster said:

Spoony Love said:

As a country veterinarian I'm still trying to figure out the raise a steer at a time plan!

Why raise one when we can just shoot one for you?
Heineken-Ashi
Some random futures charts showing long term trendlines. Yello is more recent. Green means if broken it could go higher. Red if broken could go lower or would be a bottom. So many are either at or near inflection points or have already broken a trendline and pointing up.

Bloomburg Commodity Index

Hot cup of cocoa - yikes!

Lean Hog - Nearing a decision

KC Wheat - missed a red trendline, but it might not have bottomed yet

Gasoline - FJB

Sugar - broke down through a trend, but not out of the woods. Up from here could be bad bad.

Oats - Down would be good. Bounce here and through the green and oh boy..

Rice - Coiling up. Decision time approaching

Will try and follow up with cattle, milk, and cotton, but they are very similar.

FishrCoAg
AG
As long as you like tough stringy meat!
Heineken-Ashi
Brewmaster said:

Spoony Love said:

Red Pear sucks

I've helped someone buy property Hearne before. Granted, it was 12 years ago. But the house had a pipe burst and flood everything while under contract and I was able to navigate through that for the buyers.

Jamie is a beast, a good friend, business partner, and someone I have 100% trust and faith in. Both personally and professionally. You couldn't be in better hands. Luke is a close second.

TheVarian
AG
Agreed,

Jamie and his crew kick a$$
ProgN
FishrCoAg said:

As long as you like tough stringy meat!
I'm just offering my marksmanship to help out a respected friend. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't give you all of the meat.
Twisted Helix
Ashi is it too late to start buying metals? They've had quite the run up.
nortex97
AG
It's not too late. This is the warm up.
Heineken-Ashi
Twisted Helix said:

The max gain potential is too late unless we get a huge retrace. I don't see that happening. But no, it's not too late. We're just at the point where any entry can be followed by a retrace of some sort, and the time for gentlemen's entries is likely gone. When metals start to run, they can get fierce and hit upside extensions that you wouldn't imagine.

GDX is lagging behind gold right now. Barrick still has room to run. And lots of juniors minors have just started. They are usually last to rise.

Spoony Love
AG
It doesn't matter where. If I lived in town, I would try to have access to a big lot as you mentioned, or a handful of acres to grow things, and make it a habit to in your schedule to take care of animals. In a big lot in town, you could easily handle veg and eggs.

Just watch the chicken math. I'm clearing 3 dozen eggs a day which is nice until you either try to eat them or have a hard time selling. I'm even selling cheaper than HEB.
El_duderino
Very true. Even our humble 1 acre allows us to have more than enough eggs/veggies. Goal is 50-100 acres for cows and deer/ducks/dove to have the meat covered year round.
Brewmaster
AG
Twisted Helix said:

I added to GOLD (Barrick) recently. Look up the weekly chart and see what it did in '08/'09 and where it's at now, plenty of room to run.
FSM is a silver miner - I missed my entry, but would add on any pullback to $4 or so
flashplayer
AG
El_duderino said:

Very true. Even our humble 1 acre allows us to have more than enough eggs/veggies. Goal is 50-100 acres for cows and deer/ducks/dove to have the meat covered year round.

Nothing wrong with your goal, but 50 acres would be more than enough for all the beef you could ever need even if you're feeding a family of 10, unless you're looking at the dry plains or the hill country / west TX.
Heineken-Ashi
Spoony Love said:

It doesn't matter where. If I lived in town, I would try to have access to a big lot as you mentioned, or a handful of acres to grow things, and make it a habit to in your schedule to take care of animals. In a big lot in town, you could easily handle veg and eggs.

Just watch the chicken math. I'm clearing 3 dozen eggs a day which is nice until you either try to eat them or have a hard time selling. I'm even selling cheaper than HEB.
Where are you? I'll buy from you

Spoony Love
AG
Near Madisonville
Bonfire.1996
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

flashplayer said:

Fed is going to have to sink some banks and crank up the interest rate another 25-50 bp. The optimism that they will be able to sit on their hands and watch inflation slowly drop looks far fetched each time new numbers come out and with the eye test each month when we pay bills.
As long as Fed funds at 5.3% is in excess of inflation, policy is technically restrictive. So they will be able to maintain the pause. A climbing 10 year and continued deposit drain at regional and small banks will cause failures due to simple math. That will lead rates back down.

Biden will be running on bank failures and restrictive FED policy.

Good luck.

Proof is in the pudding and you can look at the deposit rates NYCB is offering as an example of what Bonfire is saying to perfection. Offering 5.55% yield on deposits just to keep cash on that bank's balance sheet is a symptom of the market forces working.
Nailed it. Top of market rate offering on CDs? That's a signal that they have $0 to lose in liquidity. Let this be a lesson to everyone, what I hypothesized is coming true. You all know about NYCB and their near failure, and you see how they are protecting liquidity. Watch for this at other banks.

The jolt to the 10 year is absolutely terrible for banks already bad bond portfolios. But remember, these are only true losses when they have to be realized. And they will only have to be realized when liquidity drops to trip up certain capital ratios.

Unfortunately for banks, persistent inflation is causing everyone's deposit bases to wither away. That is the banks liquidity. When it withers to a certain point, they must generate liquidity through new deposits or selling off investments. Can't sell off investments at $0.70 on the dollar and raise meaningful liquidity without the domino effect of tripping capital ratios with that realized loss, so banks will offer top of market rates to generate deposits - just like NYCB is doing right now.

NYCB and Steve Mnuchin looked at the dot plot two months ago and said,"we just need a little liquidity before the Fed drops rates and solves our math problem for us." Oops.

Mega banks with ample liquidity will be the FDIC's go to for bargain basement priced regional bank mergers so their already insufficient FDIC fund doesn't need to get tapped.

Ride this wave down and buy these banks: JPM, FHN, CFR
Bonfire.1996
And to tell you guys how bad this is: my bank I work at is not immune. We bought nearly $0 in treasuries and other investments. But our deposit drain is very significant. Significant enough that it's causing us to question loan duration decisions.

And we are raising deposit rates to defend our liquidity.

We are incredibly fiscally disciplined, and even we are affected.
Spoony Love
AG
This will be the FED
Bonfire.1996
Spoony Love said:

This will be the FED

Correct. But only after the 10 year drops below 4%. Lots of carnage to get there.
spud1910
AG
Come up to East Texas occasionally and make barrows for me. Then I will keep you in pork. Better than what Prog offered.
First Page Last Page
Page 6392 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.