Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,994,484 Views | 231574 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by EliteZags
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peter Schilling? He's a f'ing dumb ass.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

The 20 year will absolutely rip the second the pivot occurs.
Yes, that's absolutely correct - like overnight. I have buying some 10yr notes because the rates are going back to 0, it's just a matter of time. I just hope it happens before the S&P bottom so I can dump the treasuries for a decent gain and then take advantage of the long position in the S&P.

I know I keep harping on the 10/2 yield curve inversion, but the un-inversion usually occurs as a fed precipitously ramps down (driving the short term interest rates down). That has historically occurred before the actual recession, or near the beginning of the recession. So, I guess we will see if this can be timed out.
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

Peter Schilling? He's a f'ing dumb ass.
No, Gary Schilling. Do you think he is a dumb ass? I have always thought his Insight publication is pretty spot-on. Again, some think he is a perma-bear, and you have to filter his arguments, but he is pretty spot on with most of the stuff he says/publishes.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
No, he's not dumb, but I view people like this as being broken clocks. If you're always bearish you'll be right sometimes.

I think it's dangerous to give a lot of credence to perma bears because their sound logic is intoxicating but what they think should logically happen doesn't (like our friend SF). You can follow these guys off the cliff.

Over a 10 year time horizon I'd rather follow Tom Lee than Sven even though Tom Lee needs a punch in the face for being irrationally exuberant.
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

I think it's dangerous to give a lot of credence to perma bears because their sound logic is intoxicating but what they think should logically happen doesn't (like our friend SF). You can follow these guys off the cliff.
Yeah, I agree with you 30K. Like I was saying, I moderate what he says. He does have alot of good charts and facts in his Insight report. I use that to make my own decisions. I do agree with you that he beats the bear drum consistently. I'll check out Tom Lee.
SF2004
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

No, he's not dumb, but I view people like this as being broken clocks. If you're always bearish you'll be right sometimes.

Over a 10 year time horizon I'd rather follow Tom Lee than Sven even though Tom Lee needs a punch in the face for being irrationally exuberant.

I like how you think I'm a perma bear.

What I have noticed is most on this thread only pay attention to whatever indicators are bullish. Which is fine because if you have anything other than a long term bullish strategy then you will be wrong.

Ignore overbought RSI for trend cause stocks only go up. Ignore ****ty earnings, cpi, fundamentals, because it is oversold.

I started following this thread to see if it was possible to get consistent higher returns than the market. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The first skeptics of Madoff started looking deeper because he was saying he would get 12-15% returns. Which they all said was impossible.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
SF2004 said:

I like how you think I'm a perma bear.

What I have noticed is most on this thread only pay attention to whatever indicators are bullish. Which is fine because if you have anything other than a long term bullish strategy then you will be wrong.

Ignore overbought RSI for trend cause stocks only go up. Ignore ****ty earnings, cpi, fundamentals, because it is oversold.

I started following this thread to see if it was possible to get consistent higher returns than the market. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The first skeptics of Madoff started looking deeper because he was saying he would get 12-15% returns. Which they all said was impossible.

You are new to this board relatively speaking. I am naturally bearish. Go read my 2020 posts. I resisted the Covid rally from March until June because I believed it was a bear market rally.

What I keep trying to tell you has nothing to do with your bull / bear posture but by the "if this then that" approach I am seeing you take. I keep poking at it because you are letting macro logic influence short term decision making. Macro logic works over long term not short term. Yesterday for example was all about positioning and where to inflict pain for profit.

Indicators are just indicators. They support the analysis but they are not the analysis. A trade that looks perfect on indicators is probably over.

You can absolutely kill the market if you're willing to find the winners. Short term trading is making probabilistic bets with appropriate risk to have a return that exceeds your risk. Similar to poker to be honest.

Long term investing is about finding alpha. Our own Aggie Daniel says this ad nauseum and so do the most famous investors of all time. If you can find alpha, you're set. I think it's Buffett who says to buy great companies at fair prices vs bad companies at great prices

You gonna buy Walmart or Coinbase? You can buy Walmart right now at a fair price. You can buy coinbase at a great price. Which would you bet your future on?
ProgN
Keep $U on your radar. Upper 20's has been strong support and if you go back about 3-4 months in their newsfeed, the rejected an unsolicited buyout offer of around $55-57/shr so they must thought that offer was well below what they believe their business is worth.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
ProgN said:

Keep $U on your radar. Upper 20's has been strong support and if you go back about 3-4 months in their newsfeed, the rejected an unsolicited buyout offer of around $55-57/shr so they must thought that offer was well below what they believe their business is worth.

Video game tech is so fickle. Only thing that gives me pause.
BaylorSpineGuy

ProgN said:

Video game tech is so fickle. Only thing that gives me pause.

*Quickly looks away from Call of Duty to check this thread and goes right back to the game. *
ProgN
E
AG
We fooked

Philip J Fry
AG
Alright NG/BOIL, here's your catalyst.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11662089/Mild-January-freezing-end-forecasters-winter-storm-stretching-Texas-Maine-48-INCHES-snow.html
techno-ag
AG
Already baked in.
Philip J Fry
AG
Cute, but I don't believe that with the amount NG has been crashing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LFG
wanderer
Thoughts on SQ? ~76.50 (blue line) looks like an important level that if it break also serves as an easy stop area.

Play it with shares or maybe Feb 85c or Mar 90c

$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Side note - I'm gonna take it easy on SPX early this week. Need to gauge if OPEX was a pain infliction move.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So one step forwards five steps backwards for BOIL?
Philip J Fry
AG
Don't see how reducing supply is going to make cost go down. Especially when freeport is running again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cool. Wasn't entirely sure what that meant as far as supply/demand.

I guess I'm not super clear on why Freeport opening up is the catalyst everyone's waiting for, since that would increase supply.

But, the cold weather coming in the upcoming weeks/months is sure to help.
Buck Compton
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I guess I'm not super clear on why Freeport opening up is the catalyst everyone's waiting for, since that would increase supply.

Don't trade in things you don't know. Unlike equities, to trade commodities or any resulting index, you need to understand the market and physical flow of goods.

Freeport is a LNG liquefaction and export terminal. While Freeport is down, LNG that would sell for more abroad can't be exported because of capacity restraints. So supply is artificially high in the US, keeping prices down. We've just been building up stores inventory while it was down. Netherlands shutting down the field would mean even more unfulfilled demand in Europe.

Commodities don't trade on one price. They trade on a price/location of delivery. We simplify things to make it easier to discuss and benchmark, but there's not just one Brent price. There's not just one WTI price. There's not just one LNG price. We created certain benchmarks to track prices, and in WTIs case it's the terminal on Cushing, OK. For Natural gas, it's the Henry Hub in Erath, LA. NYMEX futures are traded based on delivery in Louisiana and when you see a spot price here, that's what you see.

LNG prices are not consistent worldwide. BOIL only tracks (at 2x) the Bloomberg Natural Gas Subindex, which domestic 1 month futures prices (not spot prices), so once additional export capacity is free, supply to the US market will go down and price will rise domestically. The analysis that any in investor needs to do is on how much that decrease in supply in the US market will impact prices. For BOIL, specifically how much it will impact 1 month futures prices in the US market. The rest of the world either indexes against the Henry Hub Spot price or against oil. Some countries index against a local spot price because it's so difficult to accurately compare to a Henry delivery.

Biden's administration has kept Freeport shut down longer to keep prices lower domestically and try to sell that they're actually beating inflation.

Here are some of the basics to get smart in this one commodity if you so wish, including an article from when it was announced that Freeport would be closed longer. Keep in mind these are extremely basic, there are a million more articles to read and then there are things you just won't get without working in the industry or being very close with people who do. I know people who have spent their entire careers trading one or two commodities and made millions over millions doing it. One guy I used to work with just knew aluminum markets. His entire career was just that. But he knew it better than anyone and would easily clear 7 figures a year trading it.

https://www.proshares.com/our-etfs/leveraged-and-inverse/boil

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/natural-gas/061422-news-of-lengthy-freeport-lng-terminal-outage-hits-nymex-gas-futures

https://www.eia.gov/naturalgas/weekly/

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/henry_hub.asp
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I may take some time off. 5 great weeks in a row, 2X my normal trading performance, and I want to remain mentally sharp.
59 South
AG
You just keep getting better (no joke) - ride the wave as long as you can bro! BUT if you NEED a break, take one.
irish pete ag06
AG
Buck Compton said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Don't trade in things you don't know. Unlike equities, to trade commodities or any resulting index, you need to understand the market and physical flow of goods.

Freeport is a LNG liquefaction and export terminal. While Freeport is down, LNG that would sell for more abroad can't be exported because of capacity restraints. So supply is artificially high in the US, keeping prices down. We've just been building up stores inventory while it was down. Netherlands shutting down the field would mean even more unfulfilled demand in Europe.

Commodities don't trade on one price. They trade on a price/location of delivery. We simplify things to make it easier to discuss and benchmark, but there's not just one Brent price. There's not just one WTI price. There's not just one LNG price. We created certain benchmarks to track prices, and in WTIs case it's the terminal on Cushing, OK. For Natural gas, it's the Henry Hub in Erath, LA. NYMEX futures are traded based on delivery in Louisiana and when you see a spot price here, that's what you see.

LNG prices are not consistent worldwide. BOIL only tracks (at 2x) the Bloomberg Natural Gas Subindex, which domestic 1 month futures prices (not spot prices), so once additional export capacity is free, supply to the US market will go down and price will rise domestically. The analysis that any in investor needs to do is on how much that decrease in supply in the US market will impact prices. For BOIL, specifically how much it will impact 1 month futures prices in the US market. The rest of the world either indexes against the Henry Hub Spot price or against oil. Some countries index against a local spot price because it's so difficult to accurately compare to a Henry delivery.

Biden's administration has kept Freeport shut down longer to keep prices lower domestically and try to sell that they're actually beating inflation.

Here are some of the basics to get smart in this one commodity if you so wish, including an article from when it was announced that Freeport would be closed longer. Keep in mind these are extremely basic, there are a million more articles to read and then there are things you just won't get without working in the industry or being very close with people who do. I know people who have spent their entire careers trading one or two commodities and made millions over millions doing it. One guy I used to work with just knew aluminum markets. His entire career was just that. But he knew it better than anyone and would easily clear 7 figures a year trading it.

https://www.proshares.com/our-etfs/leveraged-and-inverse/boil

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/natural-gas/061422-news-of-lengthy-freeport-lng-terminal-outage-hits-nymex-gas-futures

https://www.eia.gov/naturalgas/weekly/

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/henry_hub.asp

Buck! Outstanding post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks for the informative post.

Could've done without the condescension though. I doubt everyone knows all the intricacies about the companies and commodities they trade.
59 South
AG
Honest question- why does everyone on here seem to be hung up on trying to trade natural gas? Commodities, especially NG, are hard AF to trade. Why so much mental effort with it?

It's one thing to manage some medium/long term sector rotation portfolio management but trading something like BOIL is a whole other beast.

Not trying to judge, just genuinely curious on all the talk…
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
sts7049
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Could've done without the condescension though. I doubt everyone knows all the intricacies about the companies and commodities they trade.

it sounds that way to you because you continue showing in your posts that you seem to ignore what people suggest to you to be helpful
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me the two factors are the fact that warm January typically brings colder than usual late winters / early springs, and the imminent reopening of Freeport. (Which may continue to get delayed but will eventually happen.)

And also just studying the 1Y and 5Y charts on NG Futures, there is very little possibility it doesn't bounce back to at least $5 within the next few months. The beatdown can't continue like this forever. Even if just a relief bounce.

Again, I certainly don't understand all the intricacies which were very well laid out above, but I don't think it should preclude anyone who isn't an expert on Nat Gas from trading BOIL. As long as you understand the risks and have reasons for doing so, I think it's fine to try your hand with it. All about risk management. It's currently >3% of my portfolio.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's a difference between suggestions and telling someone not trade.

It'd be nice if people could ask for information or help without that kind of snark.
GreasenUSA
AG
59 South said:

Honest question- why does everyone on here seem to be hung up on trying to trade natural gas? Commodities, especially NG, are hard AF to trade. Why so much mental effort with it?
This is what I've struggled to understand.

I realize BOIL can really move, so there is a potential for big profit. And some are really good at mean reversion strategies. But to continue to long something that is counter to its trend doesn't make sense.

There are much easier and more straight forward trades out there than BOIL.
Philip J Fry
AG
GreasenUSA said:

59 South said:

This is what I've struggled to understand.

I realize BOIL can really move, so there is a potential for big profit. And some are really good at mean reversion strategies. But to continue to long something that is counter to its trend doesn't make sense.

There are much easier and more straight forward trades out there than BOIL.

Don't confuse going long with swing trading. Right now, BOIL is oversold and has a bullish MACD on the 6 month chart. There's reason to believe we are about to get a bounce soon between the upcoming weather and Freeport.

Definitely agree that NG isn't for everybody. It requires more risk tolerance than the average bear.

There's also the real possibility that we go down into the 2s. So don't play with money you don't mind losing.
Buck Compton
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't mean to sound condescending but I did mean to sound serious. The level of question here wasn't necessarily about the intricacies, but was just the basics. LNG can move quickly and wipe your out quickly, especially if you're on margin. If you're trading a levered ETF, it can move even quicker.

My original career background was heavy in currencies and commodities. So I am extremely comfortable with macro trends and longer-term indicators by sheer experience. Then I was in a role for the better part of a decade where I wasn't allowed to day trade or even trade in most individual equities. Now I'm free of those restrictions.

I've learned a lot about equities through this thread and how to apply the shorter-term lens to some of my trading, as well as for using it to help find better entry spots for my investments. The post is me giving some of that education back where I can.

You don't have to know every intricacy, but the question you asked was just knowing the basics. If our goal is to help each other than my goal was to shock you a bit to get your research desire kicked off. As someone said above, commodities are damn hard. There are easier trades, and you really need to understand the downside of them if you're going to engage in them.
GreasenUSA
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Don't confuse going long with swing trading. Right now, BOIL is oversold and has a bullish MACD on the 6 month chart. There's reason to believe we are about to get a bounce soon between the upcoming weather and Freeport.
No, my comment was more about trading to the long side with a leveraged instrument that is inherent to go to zero over its life. Especially when attempting to catch a bottom. If the Bloomberg NG Index goes down, BOIL goes down. If the index chops, BOIL goes down. So, you have more scenarios working against you than you do for other instruments.

It's probably a good idea to be really precise when entering BOIL, especially for swing trading. And if you get your entry wrong, it might be best to cut and re-evaluate.

I am pulling for you guys in BOIL, and I probably should stop worrying about it. I just think there are easier trades.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The explanation of what Freeport reopening means for LNG in more specific terms was hugely helpful beyond just knowing that's the catalyst. So thanks for that.

Beyond that, I am definitely aware of the inherent risk of leveraged ETFs and commodities in a general sense, and have carefully looked at my risk tolerance before doing so with BOIL.

I'm definitely starting to get into the upper end of that, so there's not gonna be much more averaging down for me beyond maybe a couple more buys around $9. From there, it's either cutting losses, or riding the chop to wait for some profit.

Some of your links are paywalled, but I'm definitely going to read up a little more on LNG and the specifics of how futures prices are affected by certain events.

Since you clearly have a very solid understanding of LNG in particular, would your opinion be that there'll be relief bounce into the $4-5 range in the upcoming month(s)? (Provided that colder weather comes through and Freeport finally reopens in February.)
First Page Last Page
Page 5944 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.