Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,056,323 Views | 231697 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
lobwedgephil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is a counter view. Don't get too exited Baylor.

ProgN
Fundamentals warrant it but I wouldn't expect it this December, so I would position myself for last week of January to middle of March. Today's recovery from a big red open defied logic and it's hard to discount Santa.
BaylorSpineGuy
lobwedgephil said:

Here is a counter view. Don't get too exited Baylor.

Stop it. I'm already hard as a shark's tooth ;-).
techno-ag
AG
We lost in the World Cup. Sign of a possible crash on Monday. It's as good as any.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Michael Gayed is a perma-bear that's occasionally correct. Sven is the better follow between the two.

I think you have to have two ideas that are conflicting with each other:

• The market may go up in the short term. Probably 4200 to 4300
  • The market will probably go down on a longer time horizon. I think 2750 to 3000 is the floor

Some quick macro thoughts because I haven't done this in a while:
  • Everything is flashing recession but nothing is really hard indicating that. While companies are laying off, earnings are pretty good. They will remain under pressure with high rates
  • The fed has a dual mandate of employment and inflation. They have to be careful not to go too far and will keep trying to thread the needle. They are always knee jerk and always behind the curve though.
  • The yield curve is still inverted and nothing good happens while it's inverted. I personally won't breathe easy until the yield curve flips back to normal

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
SF2004
AG
Just feels like being long with a VIX hedge in the place to be right now.

I think any higher is BS but that is what this market is.
BaylorSpineGuy
Good insight. What will be the move to drive the 2-10 curve back into a positive slope?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Good insight. What will be the move to drive the 2-10 curve back into a positive slope?
Maybe the better thing is to know what a yield curve inversion means: short term rates exceed long term rates. Why? Because investors are long longer term bonds, which pushes yields down while short term bonds are lower, which pushes rates higher. That behavior is essentially saying that investors believe long term bonds are safer than shorter term purchases hence the yield is pushed down and the bond value increases. Demand for bonds = lower yield

The yield curve more or less reflects sentiment, and I think we've discussed before that commodity and bond prices drive stock prices and interest rates / currencies drive bonds and commodities. So, in simple terms, the market does not believe everything is copacetic.

The greater risk in my opinion is that in an environment like this, there is increased sensitivity to events that may otherwise be ignored, but this time will be magnified into a 'black swan'.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
SF2004 said:

Please humor me: what is a fair price for the indexes and why?

You should consider buying DIA and just looking at it in 5 years.
SF2004
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

SF2004 said:

Please humor me: what is a fair price for the indexes and why?

You should consider buying DIA and just looking at it in 5 years.
I have a whole portfolio built out before I started trying different things. This is a small account that I wanted to start learning more about the short term market and I hate cash just sitting around. You are highly skilled for what you do.. no lie. Saw the same setup yesterday on SPY as you... which was nice.

Fair value is highly subjective to what the investor thinks about the market.

I honestly think the pre-covid highs are right were this thing should be.

Instead it rocket ships for things like .2% reduction in inflation.

It was rocketing right at 2:30 and Powell hadn't even opened his mouth.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
PSA to the financial advisors in here: there is nothing more annoying than getting cold solicitations on LinkedIn from people who want to manage your money and open with statements like "risk free ways to make money". Oh yeah? Bull crap. I really doubt you're getting clients that way.

Want my attention? Send me something that's interesting or tell me how you work, not that you manage money for executives.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'm pretty new at this game but that phrase is pretty close to being illegal, at least non-compliant
irish pete ag06
AG
And as far as something interesting, this are probably not a good fit for most of these folks on this thread since we are all aggressive more than likely….

I did run across an annuity that pay 9% on 100k or more each year the market is flat or up. Principal stays the same if market is down. I keep thinking the more I dig into it I'm gonna find a catch, but I haven't. It's a 5 year.

I'm still trying to figure out how they are making that one work.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Some sort of collar trade.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
OPEC and non-OPEC producers, a group of 23 oil-producing nations known as OPEC+, decided to stick to its existing policy of reducing oil production by 2 million barrels per day, or about 2% of world demand, from November until the end of 2023. Reuters & Bloomberg
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

wanderer said:

Odd that /CL is up ~2% and all OIL names (XLE/XOM/CVX/VLO/etc) are all red

Cpe calls seem like a good deal again

Holla!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Now i know we're gonna get some epic rug pulls along the way, but who's ready to get back to the bull market!?

My crayons say we closed right at that upper trend line going back to january, but haven't definitively broken it. If i were a betting man (lol) id say there's a better chance we bounce off and head back down than to break through and continue up. That would actually be spectacular because if it happens I'll go ahead and max out my 401k in january
BaylorSpineGuy
All you Model T fans out there, I have it right around SPY 414 for the MT of October low and the ATH.

Will be watching that level closely if it keeps rallying up.
wanderer

Asking as an o&g idiot, what does this this do to o&g in the near term?
Ag CPA
AG
A lot of people were expecting additional cuts in light of China's situation and low spot prices but I don't know if it will make much of a difference to prices in the near-term; if anything I guess that it puts some pressure to the downside. The Russia price caps are just posturing in my opinion since a lot of guys in the know say that they are already selling to India and China around $60/bbl.
Brewmaster
AG
ProgN said:

Fundamentals warrant it but I wouldn't expect it this December, so I would position myself for last week of January to middle of March. Today's recovery from a big red open defied logic and it's hard to discount Santa.
I have nothing intelligent to add, great posts here, just getting caught up. I'm with Prog, I think seasonality takes over and if big $ wants a higher exit, they will make that happen. I went long MARA on Friday, I will ride it and some UPRO and keep resetting stops and see what happens.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Nat gas gapped down bigly.
Dan Scott
AG
wanderer
We'll that's less than ideal after just buying on Friday (BOIL).
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Let's see what happens. I may have to defend the trade.
techno-ag
AG
A warm week ahead plus further delays opening Freeport.

https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/NG*0/futures-prices
jimmo
I sold the BOIL 32p - Jan23
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I sold my DIS stock on Friday to fund the BOIL purchase, but I'd been looking to get out of DIS anyway.

I didn't put in all the proceeds, but I'm tempted to buy a little more if it gaps down tomorrow. My friend is in O&G and he seems to think it's a great time to buy.
wanderer said:

We'll that's less than ideal after just buying on Friday (BOIL).
I don't own BOIL. Can't speak to it. I can tell you this, should the market react bearishly to Dec 4th OPEC+ happenings, it's the easy course to take. A lot of those trader & financial folks will need to witness first-hand how the price caps are going to play out. Russia already released statements and there out on the web. In short, Russia gave the middle finger. There's way to much in the real world happenings scantly reported by the press to see this as bearish, but hey, spin is in. Trump tried to tell EU to contract with other suppliers for LNG. Today, LNG is sold out through 2026. Contracts today are for the 30 years after 2026. This Administration has made U.S. fossil fuels so toxic to the financial market nobody wants to step in and finance, so if you want a contract and the supplier wants the deal, you'll have to by default, finance the long term contract to have the supplier commit to spend capital. There will be less energy. Buckle up.

Great article.

https://www.gulftoday.ae/business/2022/12/03/energy-hungry-europe-cant-look-to-us-shale-to-fill-any-opec-gap

And here's some more,.....

• Americans should be preparing now for energy shortages to hit this winter after the Biden administration "from day one has initiated a war on U.S. energy," particularly on the coal, oil, and natural gas that provides 80% of the country's total energy usage," Mandy Gunasekara, a former chief of staff for the Environmental Protection Agency, said on Sunday.
  • "Americans are going to have to take some of these matters into their own hands because the Biden administration and Democrats at the local level have been ignoring their responsibility to shore up the grid system," Gunasekara said. "It's not because of natural shifts and the 'market.' This is by design, by the Biden administration trying to shutter coal, trying to limit the development of natural gas here in the United States."
  • Further, the administration is willing to go abroad to places such as Venezuela and other countries that are run by dictators, "where people have no standards for humanitarian values" to bring oil to the United States, she said.

And more,...

With the strains of G7 Price Caps influencing tanker freight, Greece is not willing to load Russian oil then add in the companies who insure cargo don't want to touch this. EU will not buy from Russia. So, Russia sells crude to remaining Asian countries who will buy from them and the remainder goes to India and China. EU will end up buying hte repackaged product from those countries. Once you add all the freight to these moves to get crude and/or energy derivatives to EU the price is through the roof,....if Brent isn't $125 and WTI $120,....then good luck. Russia will cut back heavily. So much news not being discussed here in the U.S.

I think Chevron and ExxonMobil merge in my lifetime.

My 2 cents. Been saying energy costs are going up and O&G companies are bullish and will get blamed by this Administration and MSM. Just remember to tell the talking head(s) blaming an O&G company for higher priced energy that no one pointed a finger at Apple when iPhones went from $600 to $1,200. This week will go down in history as really ugly, poor policy, and bad decisions.

BANG BANG BANG
$10/gal gasoline. Give it to me.
Sorry I missed this. See my long post I just posted minutes ago.

Chinese are announcing removing lockdowns this week. They should, Russia will handle their energy needs.

ETA: 12/4/2022 @902pmCT - Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou have relaxed their covid enforcement.
Heineken-Ashi
This action in nat gas is the kind of thing that happens at the end of a trend. And that trend has been down since end of last winter.

I can't predict if the bottom is on or is on the horizon. But the trend isn't up until it proves itself. And it hasn't yet. Smal spikes under resistance that chop up and down and can't maintain is NOT a trend.

On the same lines, crude is similar. It's not trending up until it can prove itself and start taking out resistance levels.

Don't guess. Don't predict unless you are willing to be wrong or you are willing to hold very long term. Don't do options unless you are in a confirmed trend.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Heineken-Ashi
Gold futures are about to take out a significant resistance level. Beer candles are up. Potentially closer to a top than anything else, but trend is definitely up, especially if $1825 resistance falls.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
wanderer
Heineken-Ashi said:

This action in nat gas is the kind of thing that happens at the end of a trend. And that trend has been down since end of last winter.

NG trend has been down since August, but definitely not since last winter.
Ragoo
AG
Is BOIL a leveraged ETF? Don't they all decay over time?
First Page Last Page
Page 5864 of 6620

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.