Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,027,465 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ProgN
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BREwmaster said:

broke even, almost exactly. If I'd just traded this morning, I'd have a nice green week. Over traded the rest of the day. I think I'm going to adopt your rule of mostly avoiding 10:00 to 2:00. especially where we are at now too - we could just chop all next week as we consolidate.

This was just not tradeable.

BaylorSpineGuy
Wow. Remember WISH?

Down now to $0.69. Its share price is worth less than a candy bar. ATH around 32.

Was shocked when i saw that this morning.
CC09LawAg
I had stops set overnight that I removed in the AM because I apparently believed I got much smarter overnight….

Ended the day about even but could've locked in ~$4k profit and still held exactly what I'm holding today.

I need a pop up when I cancel a stop that says "Are you sure, dumbass?"
Golf1
AG
Anyone ever read Trading in the Zone? Saw a post on social media of a lot of people talking about it so I thought about giving it a try.

Or does anyone have any other recommendations on some good trading books to read?
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I also want to call attention to respecting stops.

I attempted to long TSLA this morning. The setup was there for it. Bullish open that gap filled. I got long at just below 223 on the gap fill and then it spiked very quickly to 225+. I thought I was on my way and set a stop below support of 219 (stop 218). It didn't work, but TSLA closed the day at 204! While it sucks to take a paper cut, I'd much rather take that paper cut immediately on invalidation instead of bagholding. Happened to me twice on UPRO today, but you know, because I was disciplined with it and didn't go ape shirt on risk on a Friday after a huge move, it was a minor set back.

Gaining $50 on your account is better than losing $5,000.
worth a bump, cheers 30k

Have a great weekend all! Ags won't lose this weekend! zero chance of it
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Yes, read it. Core premise is to fully accept the risk of your trades and once you do that, you don't need to be emotional.

What this means practically is risking 1-2% of your account in a given trade with a fixed stop.
Spoony Love
AG
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

30k I'll repeat what others have already said, keep posting because I am learning tons from your posts still. This goes for FJ, Prog, Farmer, etc(y'all know who you are)

Just finished working the herd and now they're ready for cooler weather. One went in bullish but left not bullish. Weather is changing n Texas. I hope Germany has plenty of wood for winter.
BaylorSpineGuy
I suspect they'll (Germany, that is) come out in next 2 weeks and do what Italy did week before last: apologize to Putin and Russia for their behavior in a desperate bid to get their winter needs met.

They will say something like Russia was forced into this position and understand their concerns, etc.
Carioca Corredor
AG
BREwmaster said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

I also want to call attention to respecting stops.

I attempted to long TSLA this morning. The setup was there for it. Bullish open that gap filled. I got long at just below 223 on the gap fill and then it spiked very quickly to 225+. I thought I was on my way and set a stop below support of 219 (stop 218). It didn't work, but TSLA closed the day at 204! While it sucks to take a paper cut, I'd much rather take that paper cut immediately on invalidation instead of bagholding. Happened to me twice on UPRO today, but you know, because I was disciplined with it and didn't go ape shirt on risk on a Friday after a huge move, it was a minor set back.

Gaining $50 on your account is better than losing $5,000.
worth a bump, cheers 30k

Have a great weekend all! Ags won't lose run outta time this weekend! zero chance of it
FIFY
BlueTaze
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Wow. Remember WISH?

Down now to $0.69. Its share price is worth less than a candy bar. ATH around 32.

Was shocked when i saw that this morning.

There was a time when Bezos was looking to bid $10B for WISH, now its cap of $500M after IPO at $14B.

Also, Zack Morris was giving interviews about how WISH was going to one day make him a billionaire. In same interview he claimed he wouldn't get into pumping pennies because it's too easy, it's cheating. Now he is divorced and exclusively front runs pennies.

I tried to trade it for a swing and got stopped out. The CEO founder was ousted too late. He should have been canned when he bought Bilzerian's overpriced Bellaire mansion with WISH funds.
FJ43

Howdy Gents!

No time for scalping last week or much posting. Still making a few trades on setups as they occur off of alerts.

SPY

We basically closed at MT (blue arrow) of the full prior days move and right back into the batters box. Held there so can go either way. Also is happens to be the lower multi day SR. Loses Friday low and I think we see yet a new low in route to lower white SRs.

I wanted a push into the red arrow which also happens to now coincide with the 50EMS to go short but didn't occur….yet. Makes perfect sense to have tried to break the ATR mean reversion at the yellow arrow but rejected as it has multiple times.

So let's see what this crap chop does here. Hope no one went long on a big candle move in a day in an overall bear trend. It's still a trading market and cash is a position.

FWIW I don't think we've seen the lows yet. Look for relative strength and trade it.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

FJ43

Y'all may remember when I posted POSH chart a few days before it blew out from about 14 to 18. What a weird chart this is as I've been watching for what it does next.

Check out how tight the range is post that move.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

GreasenUSA
AG
I would guess it's not going to move anymore unless the deal falls through. Looks like the buyout price was 17.90.
FJ43
GreasenUSA said:

I would guess it's not going to move anymore unless the deal falls through. Looks like the buyout price was 17.90.

Someone always knows. All that consolidation right before.

sts7049
AG
krowe
Economy related, but delete if needed staff. But do y'all think we are going into a recession?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You guys wanna see how i screwed up Tue?
Was doing my best at blocking and tackling, using stops, had some small losses and a couple wins, having a great time, feel like I'm finding my stride and think to myself, "self, you're using your stops, defining max loss, you got this thing figured out, now stop being a ***** and put some money down" so i added 18 contracts to the 2 i had just bought and immediately the bottom fell out. There was a time i would have held a couple more minutes to hope for a retrace or something, but i cut as soon as i saw it and it worked out.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If you want my feedback:

1) You're probably over trading.
2) anything after 2pm central has to be considered a lotto or for the next day. The moves are most severe from 8:30 to 8:45 and 2:45 to 3:00

A question to ask yourself before you put any trade on, very simply is "what kind of day is it today?" Answers include: range bound action, trend, chop, etc. avoid the chop.
bmoochie
AG
Curious if anyone saw this and what it would mean?? What semi company's are based in china that this could be? Or do we think this could be a nothing burger?

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
1) definitely
2) those time stamps were eastern so the last trade was at 1:45 cst, but point taken

I really have a hard time getting a feel for what the day's trend is. I lean heavily on mancinis levels and honestly probably choose my bias for the day using a combination of my permabullishness and Hairy (who seems to be pretty permabull), unless we're at/near an upper channel/trend line.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

1) definitely
2) those time stamps were eastern so the last trade was at 1:45 cst, but point taken

I really have a hard time getting a feel for what the day's trend is. I lean heavily on mancinis levels and honestly probably choose my bias for the day using a combination of my permabullishness and Hairy (who seems to be pretty permabull), unless we're at/near an upper channel/trend line.

Not every day has a trend. Simple rule of thumb: is price above or below the 8ema and is it trending up or down.
irish pete ag06
AG
Brewmaster
AG
bmoochie said:

Curious if anyone saw this and what it would mean?? What semi company's are based in china that this could be? Or do we think this could be a nothing burger?

this strikes me as a nothing burger. China probably has 2 or 3 for every 1 U.S. engineer working over there that can do just the same job or knows how to. They are masters of copying.

and everything Biden does to China or appears to, is completely calculated and is coordinated with China. They helped put him in office.
RenoAg
If yall want another stroll down memory lane then take a peek at CLOV.
Philip J Fry
AG
Mixed feelings about CLOV. Bought a house with the short squeeze, but lost more than I'd like hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice.
Triple_Bagger
Charismatic Megafauna said:

1) definitely

If following Mancini, he is always saying only 15% of trading days are trend days, the rest is chop. Gotta figure out how to trade the chop level to level like he preaches or stay out of the chop.
BaylorSpineGuy
Was reviewing some long term charts today. Have a look at NASDAQ over 25 yrs or more. It made an ATH in May 2000 (around 3800). It didn't eclipse that high again until 2013.

Buy and hold (and add to a position) is an entirely legitimate approach), but you have to have a reasonable time horizon and know full well the investment may not come to full fruition for extended periods of time.

On another note, looks like many stocks at long term support lines now with engulfing bearish candles in last couple days. May be primed for good drop into low volume gaps and push us down fairly quickly this week. A most interesting week upon us!
Spoony Love
AG
I think you could take this approach with just about any well established stock. Especially those include in DJIA.

The problem is the time horizon is instant gratification.
techno-ag
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Was reviewing some long term charts today. Have a look at NASDAQ over 25 yrs or more. It made an ATH in May 2000 (around 3800). It didn't eclipse that high again until 2013.

Buy and hold (and add to a position) is an entirely legitimate approach), but you have to have a reasonable time horizon and know full well the investment may not come to full fruition for extended periods of time.

On another note, looks like many stocks at long term support lines now with engulfing bearish candles in last couple days. May be primed for good drop into low volume gaps and push us down fairly quickly this week. A most interesting week upon us!
The trick is not to buy at an ATH. We may be going lower, but we're certainly not at an ATH atm. I suspect long term positions taken now won't take 13 years to break even.
BaylorSpineGuy
This is also very true. Picking the top to buy is a painful pill to swallow, but it also speaks to how long it can take something to recover!

MSFT peaked in 2000 and didn't make a new ATH till 2010. It traded in a fairly tight channel in those years and it gave a divvy but it didn't breakout till 2010s.

But consider the massive ramp up in tech between 2000 and 2013 and it still took NASDAQ that long!
techno-ag
ProgN
I suspect that companies will take advantage of this negative sentiment in the markets when they report this month. They all know their stock will not be rewarded if they beat for very long, so I think they'll puke all the bad news in their guidance. This will lower future earnings estimates that they can surpass when the environment improves. Look at AMD's pre-announcement. I think they'll rip the band-aid off and swallow their medicine now while positioning themselves to benefit in future ERs. We'll see if I'm right. For the gamblers in here, I'd gamble with puts for earnings this month.
BaylorSpineGuy
Suspect you'll be right. Helene Meisler posted a chart on TWTR yesterday of SOX. It took 19 yrs from 2000 to make a new high. And they basically went parabolic at that time and have since come back into orbit, but it speaks to what you were saying (and AMD especially).

Microchips have been one of the most important advances in our lifetimes, and even SOX took forever to recover from previous ATH's.

Even oil has never eclipsed the price it found in the 1860s! Lol. New tech will come and identifying sector rotation will be essential to stay profitable in the coming decade!
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Suspect you'll be right. Helene Meisler posted a chart on TWTR yesterday of SOX. It took 19 yrs from 2000 to make a new high. And they basically went parabolic at that time and have since come back into orbit, but it speaks to what you were saying (and AMD especially).

Microchips have been one of the most important advances in our lifetimes, and even SOX took forever to recover from previous ATH's.

Even oil has never eclipsed the price it found in the 1860s! Lol. New tech will come and identifying sector rotation will be essential to stay profitable in the coming decade!
The decade timeframe is something I no longer think as true. I have no data to back this up, but it's something that I've come to believe by almost 3 decades in the market.

The market has evolved and time frames of bull/bear/recovery times are no longer comparable to the 80's, 90's, 00's, etc. I grew up in an era that my parents bought Series EE bonds with every check and wasn't introduced to stocks until I went into the industry after graduating from A&M. Now fast forward, most young people have been raised by parents that are in the market either actively or passively (401ks, IRAs). The pool of people that put money into the market with each check has grown significantly and will continue to grow each year. How many people do you know that has stopped contributing to their 401Ks vs. people that have maxed their contributions out to take advantage of these depressed prices? This is why I disagree with your 'decade' time horizon. When the fed just says they are pausing rate increases to evaluate the effects of their aggressive rate hikes, then I think the market explodes because there is a ton of money on the sidelines that will have to be put to work. That pile of cash grows with every paycheck via 401Ks,

TL;DR version: Selloffs will increase their intensity, but recoveries will as well. Like I've posted in the past, find 3-5 technical indicators that you favor and stay disciplined. This will make you eliminate gambling/guessing and you can can profit in whatever direction the market is in.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Maybe XOM, CVX and OXY will pop tomorrow. Can't wait 'til the SPR Releases are completed.

"You ain't seen nothing yet" ~ Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO)

Quote:

NY Post today. "Biden wants high gas prices - he just doesn't want voters to notice" By Post Editorial Board, October 16, 2022 6:05pm updated

"Team Biden displayed some rare honesty Thursday, essentially admitting the prez is fine with high gasoline prices he just doesn't want them to hurt Democrats in the midterms."

"Rather than deny Saudi claims that Washington had only asked for a month's delay of OPEC+ plans to cut oil production, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby confessed: "We presented Saudi Arabia with an analysis" that showed OPEC "could easily wait" until its next meeting before its planned reductions. And that next meeting is Dec. 4, after America votes."

"Our own Michael Goodwin rightly and thoroughly flagged one outrage here: This is a clear case of asking a foreign power to interfere in US elections, exactly the charge Democrats used to impeach President Donald Trump. So let us beat home another obscenity: This is further proof that no amount of American suffering will end President Joe Biden's war on gas and oil."

"The only difference is that he used to be open about it. In 2020, when gas prices were low under Trump, Biden publicly "guaranteed" he'd completely "end fossil fuel." Debating Trump, he said he'd "transition" the oil industry to death. As late as this May, he cheered the soaring gas costs clobbering motorists: "We'll be less reliant on fossil fuels when this is all over."

"I did this" stickers with President Biden have been popping up on gas station pumps around the country as gas prices soar."

"And, for all his claims to be doing everything in his power to bring prices down, he hasn't relented in his war on domestic production. It's all been temporary gimmicks, like depleting the Strategic Oil Reserve and asking the Saudis to wait a single month, plus dubious moves like reaching out to Iranian and Venezuelan tyrannies to boost US imports."

"It recalls then-President Barack Obama's open-mic 2012 oopsie, "confidentially" telling Russia's Dmitry Medvedev to "tell Vladmir" he'd have "more flexibility" to give Putin what he wanted once the election was over. Obama plainly feared telling Americans his real views; Biden's loud complaints about the Saudis now fit the same script."

"Soaring energy prices are one of voters' top concerns, yet Biden's only interest is in snowing the public with gimmicks like a one-month OPEC+ delay on cutting supplies and pretending that rising prices are all Putin's fault."

"The president and his entire party won't abandon green extremism, but try to deceive the nation about it. (Heck, they just labeled their huge green-energy corporate-welfare bill "The Inflation Reduction Act" when it did nothing to cut inflation.) That leaves any American who wants energy prices to stop soaring no choice but to vote for every Republican in sight in November's elections."
First Page Last Page
Page 5764 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.