Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,075,733 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by El_duderino
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
good to see you stop in! are you knee deep in VXX calls / hedges yet?
Jet Black
Options question. I'm just learning about options and wonder if this is a good idea, terrible idea, meh idea.

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks
McInnis 03
AG
Jet Black said:

Options question. I'm just learning about options and wonder if this is a good idea, terrible idea, meh idea.

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks

What's your goal with this? Write it, buy it, hold it to expiry, trade for profit?
khaos288
AG
Jet Black said:

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks

You're buying an in the money call?
Jet Black
McInnis 03 said:

Jet Black said:

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks

What's your goal with this? Write it, buy it, hold it to expiry, trade for profit?

Buy, Likely trade it before expiry
Jet Black
khaos288 said:

Jet Black said:

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks

Haven't bought anything yet and it is my understanding itm calls have less risk.
McInnis 03
AG
Jet Black said:

khaos288 said:

Jet Black said:

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks

Haven't bought anything yet and it is my understanding itm calls have less risk.

I own 100c for the same date so we are thinking the same direction. Itm calls have better delta and they have intrinsic value, so yes, less risk. This isn't crazy, if we get a $5 run or something like that you'll take advantage of most of it.

Itm and atm calls are great. Otm calls are dreams, and dreams are wonderful but many get dashed.
McInnis 03
AG
More to the point, AMD had an outside day today, it has to figure out what it wants to do. It's exploring this new range. It could breathe a few days, it could run. 9/11 gives you 5 days for it to work. If it breaks today's low 88.74 it could test 85 again. If it breaks 92.51 it could test the ATH
Jet Black
Very helpful. Thank you!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'll tell you what I'm going to do on AMD: it is either going to start moving where I want it to be EOD Thursday or I'm out. I like how it looks. Below 89 and I'm out as well.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
McInnis 03 said:

[Otm calls are dreams, and dreams are wonderful but many get dashed.

But they're cheap!
aggiedaniel06
AG
BREwmaster said:

good to see you stop in! are you knee deep in VXX calls / hedges yet?
Not yet! But to address your question regarding volatility in general and some other posts talking about volatility, here are my thoughts:
There has been a constant inflow into Vol products and futures are being bid up as well.
I think the severe contango between front month (September) and October futures is a trap for those trying to make the easy play on shorting vol based on that contango and I know many that are shorting. I can see a Volmageddon 2.0 happening.
khaos288
AG
Jet Black said:

khaos288 said:

Jet Black said:

AMD sept 11th 86.50c

Thanks

That is 100% true. Are you buying itm calls because you don't want to tie capital up in shares? Obviously shares are the least risky, but they're capital intensive.
Jet Black
Yes. I don't even know if I will follow through. I wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base though.
topher06
I think I'm joining this is too hot right now camp.
McInnis 03
AG
Riley was the champ here with volatility. Wish he didn't leave. Would love his input
khaos288
AG
Nope. If you want to risk a little money on options and you thinK AMD is going up, then buy as ITM as you want to and it will get less risky.
aggiedaniel06
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Daniel bat signal

Can you dumb this down so I can understand it?

What he is pretentiously saying is that the call volumes are so high that dealers are having to sell their put hedges (downside convexity) to buy calls (upside convexity) to cover the cost of hedging further upside moves.

The significance of this is that, any downward moves in the market will further be exascerbated as the dealers are less hedged / more exposed to downside risk.

Always a red flag for me when people use complicated terms to pretend they know at lot.

khaos288
AG
I don't know man. I ain't heard of no dang oh convexity before. This feller May be onter something.
aggiedaniel06
AG
For anyone who wants to get very serious about understanding volatility, I recommend Euan Sinclair's book - Volatility Trading.
Jet Black
khaos288 said:

Nope. If you want to risk a little money on options and you thinK AMD is going up, then buy as ITM as you want to and it will get less risky.

Thanks!
Ragoo
AG
Jet Black said:

khaos288 said:

Thanks!
to expand. The more In The Money and the longer the duration the option contract becomes a synthetic long.

Example. You can buy the stock today for $90 and own it forever. So 100 shares cost you 9000. Likewise you can buy the 60call out to January 2022 for $42. So you can Control twice as many shares via option contracts for the same amount of money. These however have an end date.
Jet Black
Ragoo said:

Jet Black said:

khaos288 said:

Thanks!
to expand. The more In The Money and the longer the duration the option contract becomes a synthetic long.

Example. You can buy the stock today for $90 and own it forever. So 100 shares cost you 9000. Likewise you can buy the 60call out to January 2022 for $42. So you can Control twice as many shares via option contracts for the same amount of money. These however have an end date.

Great info. Thank you.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Reading that reminded me of this...

GreasenUSA
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Riley was the champ here with volatility. Wish he didn't leave. Would love his input
He was actually a bit misleading with posts like this one in March claiming simple long puts on the VIX are "literally free money" without understanding accounting for IV.

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2721405/replies/56160255

The two recommended in this post never saw any gains more than about 5% from the time this post was made through now. To his credit, he did add a disclaimer to the post.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Futures are red. This is not possible.
The Pilot
AG
Fed wakes up at 3am.
thirdcoast
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

iluvpoker said:

And the melt up continues. Which is why I keep my puts in my back pocket. You can lose a lot of money betting against this fed market.

Last Thursday I posted here a 2-3 day, 1,000-2,000 Dow pullback beginning anywhere from 9/2 to 9/11. The action the last 4 trading sessions has me doing 2 things
1) pushing the start date back to 9/7-9/22
2) increasing the downside to 1,500-3,000

For now continue to enjoy the upside. Not buying any puts this week.
Are you basing this on something specific?

When the 30yr treasury yield breaks below 1.2% the equities correction will begin.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/pages/textview.aspx?data=yield

If this turns out to be wrong, it came from a Peter Schiff type cynic named Steve Van Metre, who is bearish gold and bullish USD....some interesting youtube clips that I find a bit more credible and nuanced than the tons of crash callers out there talking about the "disconnect".

In layman terms, I think this is a sign that enough capital is shifting out of equities and into bonds driving yield lower. And according to Metre, 1.2% is enough to tip scale and trigger collapse. Maybe it's better to wait until < 1% and after Trump tweets for everyone to buy stonks.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Ah, Steven Van Wrong.

I call him that because of his incorrectness on so many things, the main one being his statement that QE is deflationary.

He points to timelines in the past where there has been QE and a simultaneous deflation in asset prices. Classic case of correlation is not causation, as a sharp drop in asset prices is what leads to monetary and fiscal stimulus. So literally the opposite.

Look around us, all assets (Precious Metals, stocks, bonds, fine art, high end RE) are in inflationary mode which has always been the case when the QE spigot is on.

That being said, I do believe we can have a serious deflationary bust within the next year caused by an insolvency crisis in our economy.
aggiedaniel06
AG
I am intrigued why ilovepoker specifically picked those dates and that percentage for a correction.
Aggie_2463
AG
SDC - $10.50 pre market

To the moon!
UpstateAg
AG
What do you think of the buying Jan 2021 options of spxs as a hedge for volatiiity instead of vix calls?
Ragoo
AG
Already testing yesterday lows. I don't like that.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

SDC - $10.50 pre market

To the moon!

Ok this is what I like to see. Let's get back to the teens
BrokeAssAggie
tailgatetimer10 said:

Aggie_2463 said:

SDC - $10.50 pre market

To the moon!

Ok this is what I like to see. Let's get back to the teens

Don't let this post get taken out of context!
First Page Last Page
Page 2128 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.