Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,107,175 Views | 224617 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by bmoochie
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last month and half you went bull. In return I went very aggressive in my trades because it's not typical of you to have this sentiment. So I appreciate that.

But you have historically been more outspoken when things head south. No one is mad at you or attacking you, I think for the most part it's been pretty positive feedback.
oldarmy1
AG
I appreciate Clay's perspective. It is also a good example of why people who trade should take my approach with the SPY hedge.

You buy Puts priced 40-60 cents when 3 days from expiration. Generally it will be 40 cents as I use a strike price $3+ dollars away. Friday we went 60 cents less than $2 away because of the relevant news added to market action.

Remember what was said about the strategy. We don't care if they expire worthless because that generally means the markets are holding steady or moving higher, so your major trades are likely moving up.

Also what was said is that the one time that your hedge "hits" you usually make more than enough to offset the hedges that expired worthless. 60 cent entry topped $3 Friday.

HustlerAggie
Prognightmare said:

Some stocks to look at if one were to think things are about to get crazy (or fear was about to take over):
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/01/26/what-to-expect-in-pfizers-q3-earnings-update.aspx

However, remember that about 40,000 people die from the common flu in the US every year. (as high as 80,000 some years) Not sure if this will get that bad or not.
Hustle Harder
gig em 02
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/local-biotech-company-developing-coronavirus-vaccine/2250034/?akmobile=y&akdevice=androidphone&sslEnabled=true&&__twitter_impression=true

Any thoughts on what this does to INO?
docaggie
AG
Can they show that it's effective? Can they get it out on the market before this runs its course? Can they produce it in sufficient quantities to vaccinate a few hundred million people?
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ProgN
It's not the lethality of the virus, is the sensationalism by the media that might spook the market.
leoj
AG
It's also the shutting down of business and transportation of huge areas of China. But yeah, market may be looking for a reason to come down another 1-2% which is great, highly doubt this leads to breaking the up trend especially with earnings this week.
ProgN
Agreed
tamu2009
AG
What do you expect those spy hedges to do tomorrow?
YNWA_AG
AG
IrishTxAggie
AG
Futures looking pretty ugly so far. Down ~1% across all three majors right now
IrishTxAggie
AG
leoj
AG
tamu2009 said:

Well, S&P futures are down 34 right now, so probably looking pretty good on those at the opening unless something changes.
Brewmaster
AG
leoj said:

It's also the shutting down of business and transportation of huge areas of China. But yeah, market may be looking for a reason to come down another 1-2% which is great, highly doubt this leads to breaking the up trend especially with earnings this week.
and this is coinciding with chinese new year where no one works for a month plus anyway. If ever there was a good time for this outbreak it was now.
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

tamu2009 said:

Well, S&P futures are down 34 right now, so probably looking pretty good on those at the opening unless something changes.

Right now they would be $9+ or $900+ per contract. Not bad for a $60 hedge, eh?

I know one thing if we are that low when premarket trading opens early am then I am buying SPY shares against 3/4 of them to lock in those gains.
IrishTxAggie
AG
It's not an entire month, but it's definitely a giant pain in the ass and is typically baked into schedules and commerce already for people that do business with the Chinese. Looks like a lot of places are extending the holiday into the first week of February. My plants are in Zibo and Zhuhai and I'm with the owner all of next week. Neither of our plants are near Wuhan, so we'll discuss and might keep the plants shut out of an abundance of caution. We have enough margin in our lead times to take precautions
oldarmy1
AG
Also, remember those SPXS calls out to Feb 21st for $20 each and don't think about them? Yeah, score there too!

Lastly, SLV calls the same out to Feb 21. Let's see if those go in the money. You must be ready to catch the spikes on these because it's the hyper overreaction that tops these out.
oldarmy1
AG
That new option trade I talked about....scrap that obviously.
oldarmy1
AG
Ok team- So futures are down 26. What is the number one thing we look at first?
Brewmaster
AG
What are more SPY puts for 500 Alex?

and I suppose some cheap calls a month out?
khaos288
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Stocks overreacting to buy on sale?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Welp now I regret ditching my tvix
IrishTxAggie
AG
Completely guessing, but I think we'll open around 12-15 down and ultimately have a low low green day. I won't be playing I the market much this week because I have to go do my real job this week.
BenRev09
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Model t?
Ryan34
AG
oldarmy1 said:

TexAgs. What do I win?
ProgN
oldarmy1 said:

Big red candle followed by a big green?
Tumble Weed
Big red candle followed by a hammer and confirmation up with volume.
Brewmaster
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Big red candle followed by a hammer and confirmation up with volume.

winner winner, chicken dinner (I think)... waiting for confirmation from the boss.
gig em 02
oldarmy1 said:

I wouldn't let go of the SPY puts. However, should a bounce occur you can bet 3300 would be in play so instead of selling the Puts I would buy the $330 calls for 50 cents or under against your 60 cent entries that are now at $3.01.

Be acutely aware of the long red candles, regardless of empatis, especially when they are near upper channel.

I bet the answer can be found in his previous post
gig em 02
docaggie said:

Can they show that it's effective? Can they get it out on the market before this runs its course? Can they produce it in sufficient quantities to vaccinate a few hundred million people?
To be honest I am really only concerned about the next 30-60 days, they won't even have it ready for human testing until the summer. Just curious if anyone has seen similar psychological reactions to this type of activity moreso than concrete technical factors.
pfo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Your next post.
oldarmy1
AG
The very first thing a trader does is know the gaps. Get targets mapped out for the stock bargain season.
jtmoney03
AG
Would stocks announcing earnings this week be a good place to start? Particularly ones closing AH tomorrow through PM on Thursday?
leoj
AG

For reference this week.
gougler08
AG
Boeing plane crashes in Afghan province...down we go
First Page Last Page
Page 926 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.