Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,106,110 Views | 224613 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
Post removed:
by user
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is this a buying opportunity? The market fell 2.5%. It made that in probably the last 3 weeks. Buying now would be the same as buying 3 weeks ago, right?

This is why I don't try to time the market. I just throw money at it every month with not stopping.
cgh1999
AG
queso1 said:

How is this a buying opportunity? The market fell 2.5%. It made that in probably the last 3 weeks. Buying now would be the same as buying 3 weeks ago, right?

This is why I don't try to time the market. I just throw money at it every month with not stopping.
If there is a stock I like that I believe is poised for growth, but it declined today because the whole market was down, then I consider it to be on sale. For example, Home Depot is down $10 on the week. I think it has plenty of room to grow based on recovery from hurricanes, tax relief, etc. I was buying shares at $200+, and I'll buy more at $195.

Also, while I believe the correction will continue, I still expect this year to be a good year for the market. Maybe not as good as last year, but still up solidly. If you believe that, then keep buying stocks you like.
rcannaday
AG
Inflation is coming. It is coming in all of our raw materials from china. We are seeing north of +25% increase in all raws, take that into account.

New tax law some of you should know caps how much C-corps can deduct from interest. Just so you know also seeing some spreads widening on "junk." With the Libor moving up, along with less tax shield... I would avoid like the plague "junk bond status" companies...
RangerRick9211
AG
My Sept. 17' XIV position finally stopped out. Unreal run for volatility.
TriAg2010
AG
cgh1999 said:

queso1 said:

If there is a stock I like that I believe is poised for growth, but it declined today because the whole market was down, then I consider it to be on sale. For example, Home Depot is down $10 on the week. I think it has plenty of room to grow based on recovery from hurricanes, tax relief, etc. I was buying shares at $200+, and I'll buy more at $195.

Also, while I believe the correction will continue, I still expect this year to be a good year for the market. Maybe not as good as last year, but still up solidly. If you believe that, then keep buying stocks you like.

The hurricanes happened four months ago. The tax cuts were passed one month ago. Do you not think that information was long ago incorporated into Home Depot's stock price? There are institutional investors buying real-time satellite imagery so they can count how many cars park at big box retailers and then estimate earnings in advance. Have you personally collected any data to test your hypothesis?

It's practical impossible for retail investors to obtain an insight or information advantage on a publicly-traded company. I think queso1 is totally wise in his strategy to ignore market timing.
cgh1999
AG
I'm not necessarily betting on a short term gain, but rather am a long term believer in the companies I invest in. I absolutely agree that steady, regular investments are preferred, but if stocks I like have a pull back, then I will buy more shares when they are on "sale". These stocks are also less than 7.5% of my investable assets.

Seven Costanza
AG
Just out of curiosity, is there a certain dollar or share amount when purchasing large amounts of stock that requires any sort of special paperwork to be filed? For example, if you're a retail investor that buys $20MM of Amazon, do you have to do anything special?
wessimo
AG
/humblebrag
wessimo
AG
On track for single largest daily point drop in Dow ever.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee
cgh1999
AG
wessimo said:

On track for single largest daily point drop in Dow ever.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee

Fixed the emoji for you.
wessimo
AG
WOW!!! -1100!!
wessimo
AG
-1500!!!!!!
The Wonderer
AG
1400 loss
The Collective
AG
It's so bad that I'm just laughing about it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Still haven't lost anywhere near to what I have gained over the past 13 months. This pullback was inevitable.
Post removed:
by user
AggieFrog
AG
A pullback needs to happen. If you're well diversified and in it for the long term, this isn't a big concern.

I'm more worried about the longer term fiscal issues when the sugar rush from the tax cuts wear off and the deficit spending starts being a concern when interest rates rise.
Boat Shoes
AG
Coming back up!
Post removed:
by user
aggie_fan13
AG
lol ****, what is causing this ? It cant just be the interest rates right ?
claym711
AG
Point drop definitely matters when you are trading futures

My algo shorted last Monday, 195 points ago.
Boat Shoes
AG
azulAg said:

Computers.
The Wonderer
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Personal pet peeve. Point drop means nothing only % matters. DOW 3x what it was in 08.
Ok, ~-3.5% with daily low at ~-4%. Better?
The Wonderer
AG
azulAg said:

https://www.market.w.a.t.c.h.com/story/dow-suffers-1500-point-collapse-as-computer-driven-selling-amplifies-rout-2018-02-05
Quote:

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was off more than 1,500 points at its lows on Monday, after a period of selling accelerated sharply headed into the close of the session. Amplifying the slump was computer-programmed trade set to dump shares at certain levels. According to traders, the Dow DJIA, -3.26% was set to trigger trades once it fell below 25,000, for example, and 2,700 for the S&P 500 SPX, -2.63% Most recently, the S&P 500 was off 82 points, or 3.1% at 2,675, the Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, -2.17% was down 178 points, or 2.5%, at 7,065. The Dow, meanwhile, lost as much as 1,500 points, and was most recently down 883 points, or 3.4%, at 24,642.
aggie_fan13
AG
your link doesnt work
The Wonderer
AG
azulAg said:

your link doesnt work
take out the periods. they're censoring "m.a.r.k.e.t.w.a.t.c.h." for some reason.
aggie_fan13
AG
so basically stop loss orders triggered when it hit 25k are fueling this
Post removed:
by user
The Wonderer
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

The Wonderer said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Personal pet peeve. Point drop means nothing only % matters. DOW 3x what it was in 08.
Ok, ~-3.5% with daily low at ~-4%. Better?
Yes that is better which is nothing in historical terms for a daily loss. What is a little more unnerving is the intensity of the drop less than a week off of all time highs. Just shows how the computers control the market now, and computers have no emotion or care when they sell or buy.
Yep, auto trade to help mitigate losses fueled even more losses.
khkman22
AG
The Wonderer said:

azulAg said:

your link doesnt work
take out the periods. they're censoring "m.a.r.k.e.t.w.a.t.c.h." for some reason.
Look at the last 6 letters and then chop off the last 2.
wessimo
AG
I was having flashbacks to the flash crash for sure. Good times.
The Wonderer
AG
khkman22 said:

The Wonderer said:

azulAg said:

your link doesnt work
Look at the last 6 letters and then chop off the last 2.
Never thought of that. But cock is ok. Goofy mods are goofy.
HoustonAg2014
AG
6.5% at one point was pretty significant especially when it dropped from down 1,100 to down 1,600 in 10 seconds. Watching it live your stomach dropped but that was a huge buying opportunity for whoever had a quick hand or had triggers to buy at certain levels.
MouthBQ98
AG
Who did CORT piss off? -27%
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.