Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,086,526 Views | 224470 Replies | Last: 25 min ago by McInnis 03
pfo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One play would be buying the cyber security companies...

Palo Alto
Checkpoint
Proofpoint
Cyber Arc
Booze Allen (military/national defense)

There are others as well.

pacecar02
true, lord knows I have been looking for a play on Juniper Networks and ISP stocks in general, but the ones I have looked at have been rather stagnant

I was looking towards plays at a stock where you look for more downward movement. The idea being making gains on the downside other than just simple shorts.
SlackerAg
AG
These have been gradually going down the toilet:

RRC Range Resources
UAA Under Armour
MNK Mallinckrodt
FL Foot Locker
LB L Brands
MAT Mattel
M Macys
AAP Advance Auto Parts
NFX Newfield Exploration
AYI Acuity Brands
Ragoo
AG
bump, is there anything worth buying? seems like everything is at "hold" prices.
IrishTxAggie
AG
AVEO Pharmaceuticals
Ragoo
AG
ColinAggie said:

AVEO Pharmaceuticals

why are they worth owning?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ragoo said:

ColinAggie said:

AVEO Pharmaceuticals

why are they worth owning?
Recently had a drug (tivozanib) passed in the EU for treating adult patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma. FDA ruling expected in Q1. Lots of speculation that they will be bought out by Jazz Pharmaceuticals before the FDA ruling.

Edit:
Disclaimer- I'm long on this and up ~45% within the past 3 months on it.
Dobre casy
AG
Is anyone going to the Money Show in Dallas next week? I signed up for Tom Sosnoff's (tastytrade) segment on Friday.
rathAG05
AG
UA is kicking my ass. Thought I bought at the bottom at $21
aggiemetal
AG
Vito said:

Is anyone going to the Money Show in Dallas next week? I signed up for Tom Sosnoff's (tastytrade) segment on Friday.
that's awesome would love to meet him but I'll be heading to College Station for the Bama game

should be a great experience, have heard good things about tastytrade's live show

oldarmy1
AG
The narrowing wedge clearly broke to the upside. I had 17% of my covered call shares pulled which isn't too bad on a breakout. Of shares called out 82% were below the share value + premium. Example is if a stock was at $20 and option premium was $2 the stock got "called" out at $21.25. My earned value would be $22 so I could choose to buy back at $21.25 or move on.

Note the strong volume on the uptrend after the breakout. Very bullish short term.

clobby
AG
Any thoughts on SIRI?
BB675
AG
I am just getting in on trading. I know one thing your not supposed to do is buy stocks you know nothing about. However, it seems like there are a few on this thread worth buying. Any advice? May not even be worth my time only wanting to start with $1,000 or so.
oldarmy1
AG
Very bullish short term is crushing shorts looking for the top. Those actually end up fueling the trend as they fold their positions by having to buy back the shorts at higher and higher prices. Volume therefore becomes central because at some point big money will decide to take profits off the table, which is why the initial drop off of new highs becomes oversold quickly.
khkman22
AG
khkman22 said:

Sold a short call vertical today on COST with the $163/$165 strikes for the 10/20 expiration. Not a lot of premium, but fits my risk profile. Looking to close at 50%, hopefully before earnings.
Winner winner, chicken dinner. Didn't go exactly as I planned at the start and I was at about 65-70% of my max loss at one point within the last week, and only a 37% probability of profit. But wound up closing out today at about 50% max profit after yesterday's earnings announcement.
aunuwyn08
AG
Got in on GE at 23 today, time to ride this dividend yield train for the long haul.
Post removed:
by user
aunuwyn08
AG
I'm OK with that because I saw it as a good time to gain a position in the industrial conglomerate sector. Also this is in my ROTH so I have a long time horizon.
Post removed:
by user
Gator2_01
AG
Technical Analysis for the Trading Professional - seems to be the industry standard

Investopedia for a free broad overview

oldarmy1
AG
Bulls in Barcelona don't run this wild! Been explosive with only a cursory pause along the way to invite short selling top seekers only to get ripped to shreds. We've had a 3 wave surge and volume increased last 3 days. Here's the TA as it stands:

TriAg2010
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

I'm OK with that because I saw it as a good time to gain a position in the industrial conglomerate sector. Also this is in my ROTH so I have a long time horizon.
Then why not buy into an industrial ETF (IYJ) or high-dividend ETF (VYM)?

GE has spend the last 10 years putting on a clinic for why a diversified company still carries single-stock risk. They've been a lemon (-6% CAGR) in a sector that's grown at 12% over the last 10 years.
aunuwyn08
AG
I don't need any more investments in ETF or mutual fund assets since that's all I have access to in my 401k.

I own a lot more individual stocks in my Roth than GE, I was just excited to get it at a discount and posted it on here. Long term ge is going to become more profitable.
oldarmy1
AG
Didn't fill the gap and exploded upward with the latest "invite the top seekers in for crushing yesterday". The wild ride continues!
Martin Q. Blank
oldarmy1 said:

Bulls in Barcelona don't run this wild! Been explosive with only a cursory pause along the way to invite short selling top seekers only to get ripped to shreds. We've had a 3 wave surge and volume increased last 3 days. Here's the TA as it stands:

Ok, so you were dead wrong here:
https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2721405/replies/49710281
cgh1999
AG
Amazon CRUSHES earnings. 0.52 vs .03 expected. Up 7% after hours.
Whitetail
AG
cgh1999 said:

Amazon CRUSHES earnings. 0.52 vs .03 expected. Up 7% after hours.
oldarmy1
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

oldarmy1 said:

Ok, so you were dead wrong here:
https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2721405/replies/49710281
"Which way does the convergence break? Don't know..."

I sold covered calls on expiration versus selling my holdings because, as I said, I didn't know. Once the wedge formed broke to the upside my posts were that another bull leg was confirmed.

Look - maybe you don't like the way I trade but you are reaching.

Also - immediately after the election my entire strategy and premise was to "bet on Trump". I thought there would be an emotional drop down in the markets before that engaged and was wrong. Shoot me. Once THAT formed wedge broke to the upside (at that time) it was get in for the ride.

Your post seems to intimate I want people to lose their money. The macro's have been overwhelmingly accurate.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
TPL - Texas Pacific Land Trust. Never heard of this company until a hedge fund I advise for taxes started loading up on it last year. I have a managed account with them as well and he got me into the stock in Sept of last year. It has been on a tear and continues to have a lot of upside still. The primary income producer is its land and mineral holdings in the Permian. They still have a lot of untapped reserves and tons of water which they just started selling. Earnings just came out for Q3 and they were very good for such a small holding company.
Whitetail
AG
Ignac said:

TPL - Texas Pacific Land Trust. Never heard of this company until a hedge fund I advise for taxes started loading up on it last year. I have a managed account with them as well and he got me into the stock in Sept of last year. It has been on a tear and continues to have a lot of upside still. The primary income producer is its land and mineral holdings in the Permian. They still have a lot of untapped reserves and tons of water which they just started selling. Earnings just came out for Q3 and they were very good for such a small holding company.
I purchased some a little over a year ago. It's been a good buy.
OKC~Ag
This market is bit of mystery.
"bet on Trump" hasn't lifted all boats... and yet
Tech and financials are on a tear.

is this a bubble like 2000 tech bubble?
Aggie1205
AG
Good day today for Walmart.
Ragoo
AG
sold ROKU puts at $40 close 12-1
oldarmy1
AG
OKC~Ag said:

This market is bit of mystery.
"bet on Trump" hasn't lifted all boats... and yet
Tech and financials are on a tear.

is this a bubble like 2000 tech bubble?
Agree. But when I posted bet on Trump after the election it was a statement indicating the environment for growth and success would be prevalent. It's still up to the macro-economics in sectors (i.e. oil prices on energy) as well as companies making good decisions, to be rewarded in the stock market.

I don't see anything like a bubble at this point.
Gator2_01
AG
Quote:

Hello, tastynation!

To start off 2018 just right, we want to thank you for your show of unconditional support and irreplaceable loyalty for tastytrade and tastyworks. You are the reason we're driving change to the financial industry. We've not only planned more of what you love, like more live tastytrade shows in 25 cities, more trading tools, more mind-blowing content, more new daily shows but also stuff that will leave you thinking, "How'd they do THAT?"

tastyworks introduced zero commissions to close trades on Jan 3rd, 2017. Starting tomorrow, on Jan 2nd, 2018, tastyworks is introducing capped commissions for large option trades. This means the most commission you will pay for any single leg option trade is $10* (plus clearing fees). That's right, just $10* per leg!

Eighteen years ago, when we built thinkorswim, 100 option contracts to open and close was $300+. At the time, we thought $1.50 per contract was cheap. Today, the industry average per contract is about $.70 plus a small ticket charge. So, 100 option contracts today is approximately $150 to open and close at most firms. With tastyworks' new rate schedule, the same trade will cost $10 in commissions to open, zero in commissions to close and a $20 clearing fee for a total of $30. Compare that rate to any other firm on the planet and remember how good our technology and content is as well. Fees for small options trades (10 contracts or less) stay the same.

But we're not done. As an added bonus, tastyworks will have twelve monthly drawings for funded accounts (minimum of $2,000) and each month, one customer will win free commissions for 5 years. And no, we haven't lost our minds. We simply want to do something special and this is just the start.

On the technology side, tastyworks is releasing a new analysis tab, portfolio margin, options on futures, paper trading, an open API, a new scripting language and lots of new mobile features.

So thank you again for the incredible engagement over the past year. You have helped to make tastytrade and tastyworks one of America's fastest growing financial innovators.

Scott / Woody & the tastyworks team
Kristi / Tom & the tastytrade team

Well now, the new options pricing is again a game changer! $10 max opening and $0 closing? Crazy.

This thread sure has cooled down. I'm up 24% in my 401k and just got back over 20% in my trading account for the year. This coming year I'm going to focus more on my core positions, smartly trading futures, and not make any earnings trades!
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 6414

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.