Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,987,844 Views | 224151 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by McInnis 03
One Tooth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CLF is in a two month wedge and reports tomorrow.
Highway6
AG
Oldarmy1, hoping to see you back on this thread soon. Miss your insight.
Comanche_Ag
AG
Me too!
3rd and 2
AG
Is oldarmy sick?
Post removed:
by user
Bonfire1996
AG
He definitely got sick of the haters. People that obviously ignored how he traded the horizontal channels. I recall several days where he was trading intraday swings of in excess of 1% in both directions. The haters only thought he could trade overall macro market moves.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Bonfire 1996 said:

He definitely got sick of the haters. People that obviously ignored how he traded the horizontal channels. I recall several days where he was trading intraday swings of in excess of 1% in both directions. The haters only thought he could trade overall macro market moves.
I'm sure he helped me on a few other stocks, but on one particular stock I made money 4 out of 4 times trading options. 3 out of those 4 were covered calls where they didn't get called out. So yeah, he helped me make money on a stock that was fairly flat long term mainly by identifying upper and lower resistance levels.
claym711
AG
Not sure anyone is hating by pointing out that no-one trading their 401k or IRA got a 48% return in the past year on the macro moves posted in the other thread.

The individual stock picks have been nails for the most part.
Highway6
AG
I don't post often, but I was learning a lot. My bad for not posting love to offset the hate.
El Chupacabra
I don't recall seeing a lot of hate. I think a lot of people question someone who makes 50%+ on EVERY SINGLE TRADE. I mean, that'll turn you into a billionaire pretty quick. A lot of people aren't comfortable day trading, don't understand it, don't trust it, don't understand options, don't understand lines and bars and circles on charts, and don't have tens of millions of dollars to play with like OA1. There is lots of good information and he put in countless hours posting trades and education for all to see, and that's commendable and appreciated.
aggiemetal
AG
claym711 said:

Not sure anyone is hating by pointing out that no-one trading their 401k or IRA got a 48% return in the past year on the macro moves posted in the other thread.

i'm gonna repost my thoughts from another thread

How he claimed 48%?

b/c he's a damn good trader ...it's not always making the right call on direction (LOL in my case it's almost never making the right call) it's being a sound trader, he works a strategy for managing winners where he always works to hold remaining shares for free, managing winners and if it the signal fails he bails avoiding loss or at least a big loss...he's got the know how to jump on macro moves and loads big on them, again utilizing his management strategy ...in addition he also works options strategies to put probability, time decay in his favor as well as lowering cost basis on shares

I do it through not even pretending to have a clue about which direction things are going to go and am good enough last few years where I went full time....honestly I'm a monkey comparable to Randy and combed out about 30% net from June (when I quit teaching and went full time) through end of '16. Was on pace for 40% but kind of got tripped up heading into the election with the FBI thing (again I only tend to only lose when I think I know something and let that skew otherwise sound trading), in that case I assumed what about everyone else did about that election. That said I got back to my mechanics and took full advantage of the volatility election night and that played out quite well (and quick).

I'm up 11% net through one month in '17 and doing it with crap volatility...don't care to brag, just saying believe me, if I can do those kinds of numbers you damn sure right he did what he said he did

guy has given a lot of time he didn't have to, to help beginning traders out, he gave me a ton of time for years and I was just a guy he knew through another Aggie football message board ...I kind of went a different path trading style but many of the core tenets of steady mechanical trading are the same...i don't do direction well at all (pretty much never get it right as I half joked before) but when things in the market hit extremes or just feel funky, you can make a wild guess who I still call

a ton of really good things to learn from him, that people could learn to manage their own money if they put in the time/work...knowing him personally, the dude is a great Aggie and gave a lot of selfless time for the benefit of random strangers here, hope he comes back at some point for their sake
khkman22
AG
I'm not a trader and don't have time to learn currently, but I hope he comes back just because he brings to light stocks that are potential targets, whether trading or holding longer term. I don't have time to research stocks constantly, so when others give a suggestion, it is always welcome from me. Hoping he comes back because the board has run too many good posters off who post their opinion or strategy.
CDub06
AG
I'm just a lurker in this thread, but I really appreciated his input. I'm not familiar with this world and I really appreciated the detailed insight OA offered. I've learned a lot just by reading from the benches.
MavsAg
AG
I looked at this thread every morning and made it a goal of mine to learn more about options this year. This was all due to OA. Your input is missed. Don't let the vocal minority outweigh the silent majority.
3rd and 2
AG
What page was all the oldarmy hate on? I checked his last posts, he didn't seem like he was posting pissed off.
CavitationAG
AG
Chiming in to show support for OA as well. The guy spends his personal time here to help anyone willing to listen. It's one of the more enjoyable threads to follow on the site and that is mainly due to his input.
pfo
AG
Oldarmy1 freely gave his advice to help fellow Ags. There was nothing at all in it for him other than helping Ags. Some called him a liar. So he quit. And he is far from the first one who has shared his expertise and was ridiculed. So quality guys like him that have "made it" just leave and the experience here is greatly diminished.

Social media would treat Warren Buffett, Bill Gates or Mother Teresa the same way. Because on social media people don't know if you are Warren Buffett or a drunk peeing in his pants laying in the gutter. And the insulter takes zero risk of getting the crap beat out of him.
3rd and 2
AG
Who was it that called him a liar? Some of our resident libs from the politics board?
claym711
AG
aggiemetal said:

claym711 said:

i'm gonna repost my thoughts from another thread

How he claimed 48%?

b/c he's a damn good trader ...it's not always making the right call on direction (LOL in my case it's almost never making the right call) it's being a sound trader, he works a strategy for managing winners where he always works to hold remaining shares for free, managing winners and if it the signal fails he bails avoiding loss or at least a big loss...he's got the know how to jump on macro moves and loads big on them, again utilizing his management strategy ...in addition he also works options strategies to put probability, time decay in his favor as well as lowering cost basis on shares

I do it through not even pretending to have a clue about which direction things are going to go and am good enough last few years where I went full time....honestly I'm a monkey comparable to Randy and combed out about 30% net from June (when I quit teaching and went full time) through end of '16. Was on pace for 40% but kind of got tripped up heading into the election with the FBI thing (again I only tend to only lose when I think I know something and let that skew otherwise sound trading), in that case I assumed what about everyone else did about that election. That said I got back to my mechanics and took full advantage of the volatility election night and that played out quite well (and quick).

I'm up 11% net through one month in '17 and doing it with crap volatility...don't care to brag, just saying believe me, if I can do those kinds of numbers you damn sure right he did what he said he did

guy has given a lot of time he didn't have to, to help beginning traders out, he gave me a ton of time for years and I was just a guy he knew through another Aggie football message board ...I kind of went a different path trading style but many of the core tenets of steady mechanical trading are the same...i don't do direction well at all (pretty much never get it right as I half joked before) but when things in the market hit extremes or just feel funky, you can make a wild guess who I still call

a ton of really good things to learn from him, that people could learn to manage their own money if they put in the time/work...knowing him personally, the dude is a great Aggie and gave a lot of selfless time for the benefit of random strangers here, hope he comes back at some point for their sake
I dispute none of this, and know for a fact there are traders that can return 300%+/year.

I pointed out in the other thread that there is no way, based on the macro moves that were actually posted, that anyone made 48%. Of course, if there were moves made outside of what was posted, 48% or more is possible.

People can't take a little bit of feedback that is not just sunshine or what?

Quote:

oldarmy1
In reply to DRE06 7:50a, 2/1/17
L
AG
Meanwhile, trading the macro moves the last year produced a 48% increase.
redsox34
AG
OA is the man! He has really helped me out a ton. I'm only 22 and in my 5th year of PPA in the finance track. All the insight he has provided is worth more than any of those classes with respect to how the market behaves and how to make money from it. I've read this thread many many times and still pick up new things from his posts.
k&aj07
AG
Long time lurker here, but I felt compelled to come out and show support for oldarmy1 and echo what others have said and say thank you for taking the time to help and provide your insight. This has been my number one go to thread for this website on a daily basis. Also, if yall have taken the subject of conversation off line or using another method I would love the opportunity to join in. Thanks and Gig'em!
TheVarian
AG
Soooo, alcohol and cigars somewhere?
DDSO
AG
TheVarian said:

Soooo, alcohol and cigars somewhere?
oldarmy1
AG

Apologies to all - regardless of attitude. I started another venture and it's kept me hopping. With time only for a quip here and there I hadn't checked in for a while. I truly do not mind the criticism as it goes with the territory; especially when trying to lay out strategies for specific stocks.

Like TWTR for example. It has been pummeled on every earnings call so why would anyone holding TWTR into earnings not have a strong hedge in place? I've laid out those scenarios over and over and received two private messages, 1 thanking me for the easy 16% gain on TWTR when they sold ahead of earnings seeing the resistance and 1 asking if they should hold onto it, having done nothing.

On the macro level I said "bet on Trump" and continue to see that driving the market as all kinds of tax cuts become reality. We broke out above a long term sideways market. Call it a Darvis Box break out or whatever you want but that technical combined with the Trump driven fundamentals bode well for the markets.

I haven't had an opportunity to read back through the threads but will do so today and tomorrow. I don't drink or smoke so I'll simply take it head on.

Happy trading to all!

Burdizzo
AG
Good to see you, sir.
3rd and 2
AG
OldArmy1, I had a bunch of TWTR calls that I sold the day before earnings. I feel like I luckily dodged a bullet there, without even talking to you! I'm thinking about again buying more TWTR calls this cycle and selling again right before earnings. Good idea or no?
bmks270
AG
I need to revisit this thread from page 1.
Joseph Parrish
AG
bmks270 said:

I need to revisit this thread from page 1.
It's worth it, except this time you can see how things played out afterwards.
Pignorant
AG
What is going on with CIE?
One Tooth Man
This thread has had some great trades, but nothing in a while. Post em if you got em!

I like to trade earnings announcements for short squeezes. CLF had 20% shorts into the trade and their damn 50M extra shares killed what could have been. Still a great trade, but it gave the shorts a bailout.

PS: CLF was a fantastic trade.
SlackerAg
AG
My system just bought ESE & PKOH.
redsox34
AG
Buying UNG tomorrow. Caught the last rip in November, looking for a repeat.
Heisenberg01
AG
What are the factors you are seeing here. Seems like the winter seasonality is coming to an end and rig counts continue to tick up putting pressure on inventories.
redsox34
AG
Its approaching channel support and a 30 RSI. looking to hold around 2 months.

Got in at 7.33
CavitationAG
AG
Does anyone here follow Under Armour? Curious to what the board thinks of it as a buy and hold candidate. I've had it watchlisted for a while but have never owned any.
First Page Last Page
Page 64 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.