Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,101,036 Views | 224562 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by jagvocate
Pignorant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Twitter not doing so well.
oldarmy1
AG
Pignorant said:

Twitter not doing so well.
Found support but their enforcement policies suppressing well known/followed members was a bonehead move. Dorsey's head is on the chopping block.

On the 20k lookout a lot of chatter across large traders approaching the Christmas weekend with trepidation, due to rumors of terrorist activity. It's pretty much the same as we get going into July 4th and other celebratory periods. We have a quiet weekend and Tuesday we likely are right back into the 20k watch.

One thing this weeks action has done is produce a consolidation period. Nervous sellers and top watchers are selling yet the markets are absorbing the action. That sets up the potential for a further move upward than the 20250 area, once 20k is broken. Volume, understandably has been coming down day over day into the long weekend so don't expect much outside of the weekly ranges today.

Wishing all a Merry Christmas, safe travels and great family time. Here's to a prosperous 2017!
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Thanks for all the wisdom, advice, knowledge and insight you bring to the board OA1! A merry Christmas to you and yours as well!
AGS749901
I'll second tx-Ags14 sentiments. Merry Christmas to all who visit this board.
larryj41
Merry Christmas and a wealthy new year to each of you! Old Army, thanks so much for the time amd energy you put into this board.
Spaceship
AG
oldarmy1 - When you get back from the holidays and settled, can you share what your 2017 outlook is for GE? Thanks!
cgh1999
AG
oldarmy1 said:

cgh1999 said:

PBI at 16!
Lot of stocks are right at last resistance tops like a bunch of children waiting for the last school bell before Christmas break.

I'll be on a flight to Chicago tomorrow, with last meetings of the year, so count on 20k since I most likely won't get to enjoy seeing it happen. It's a curse.

Also, CIE on its next wave upward. Those are 30%+ moves on each wave.
Well, it was downhill following my post...until today. UP big this afternoon! Back to $16?
oldarmy1
AG
Happy new year!

Obvious resistance just below 20k persists. Will it be the 2nd time in 20 years that the magnet rule is violated, or will this resistance which has created a consolidation period result in a larger breakout move if 20k does get broken? We had a large run so this sideways action for the last 2 weeks isn't bad, unless your a call or put option trader.

Yeah cgh - PBI held above the new support above $15 so it looks solid for 2017 trend.

GE, per the request, has an extremely solid base with a bullish wedge. I would have zero fear in buying the dips on GE first 2 quarters 2017.
oldarmy1
AG
20k in focus again early on. Don't be selling covered calls here. Buy calls in stocks that are at or coming just off wave lows. NVDA, TWTR, CHK for example. Look for my example stock from inceptiom bottom PBI to move tbrough last high and continue trend upwards.

Little CIE is showing next wave attempt back towards $1.40 major resistance. If you applied the covered call strategy and pocketed the 20 cents/share premium you reduced your holding price. Unfortunately the next $1.50 calls are all the way out to April 17th. The only way I'd trade those as covered calls is if you can get filled at $0.40-$0.50. I imagine some will get filled if we hit $1.40 this week, due to the amount of time remaining. Selling covered calls no more than 50% at those prices with your share holdings bought at or around the $1 mark is a no brainer.

Based on average per share entry of $1.04 do the math and tell me how you compare to the fund managers or S&P.
oldarmy1
AG
Also those GILD buys on clear major support under $72 are solid. It made a nice move on wave 3 from major support. Only issue with GILD is the wave tops have been progressively lower. If it breaks that previous $76.32 then it could really give a good ride upward.
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Also those GILD buys on clear major support under $72 are solid. It made a nice move on wave 3 from major support. Only issue with GILD is the wave tops have been progressively lower. If it breaks that previous $76.32 then it could really give a good ride upward.
GILD....BOOM!
oldarmy1
AG
TWTR has had 3 downgrades this week and moved higher. It also has moved up on these market pullback days. Very bullish. Short term it has a matza ball gap down sitting at $17.80 area to fill.
oldarmy1
AG
PBI cup and handle forming as it approaches resistance. Break $16.25 and it will be over $17 pronto. From our initial accumulation entries we are looking super solid.
oldarmy1
AG
Looks like quite a few wave tops hitting. Markets sank quickly so the top channel resistance is rock solid.
oldarmy1
AG
And a solid rejection of the pullback. Capitulation! Woot!
oldarmy1
AG
DOW 20k
wessimo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

DOW 20k

oldarmy1
AG
Darvis Box identified continues to form. This is the time when you are selling covered calls on days when markets are up and close them when markets range down. Also, as a reminderm we've talked about how market makers/big money love to hit you with the "fakey move" before a breakout. I had mentioned before the previous breakout that I'd likely trade the opposite/contrarian to the initial move. You can see that the big money broke the box with an initial down move before racing higher. You gotta love and hate them for how they do their thing...

aggiemetal
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Also, as a reminderm we've talked about how market makers/big money love to hit you with the "fakey move" before a breakout. I had mentioned before the previous breakout that I'd likely trade the opposite/contrarian to the initial move. You can see that the big money broke the box with an initial down move before racing higher. You gotta love and hate them for how they do their thing...

TRUE TRUE TRUE the market is designed to get as much money out of you as it can

that's not to say be scarred and passive. . .just don't get married to thinking things have to go the way you think it will (be ready/willing to flip the script when things change . . .you can think of it like taking both a BEARS/BULLS jersey to the game and switching the other on when that team takes control/advantage--it makes for a lame sports fan but a smart trader (I'm not say if we're ripping buy or if it's falling sell, usually quite the opposite, but that doesn't matter for point of this, I just meant don't get so married to one or the other where it clouds your judgement, been there in my early days and not good)

manage both ends of the spectrum (fear and greed), while easier said than done and perhaps the biggest piece to this whole game YOU MUST stay mechanical to your skillset (whatever you do that works), manage profits (when the market gives you a decent % money on a play, don't give it a chance to take it back), manange losers (lose a battle not a war) . . . avoid unneeded exposure, always lower basis, stay small (relatively speaking) until the time is right (*take advantage of opportunity/other peoples fear), and I strongly advise the kicker of using options either in conjunction or on their own to increase your probability of success and put time (decay) on your side
oldarmy1
AG
PBI Cup & Handle showing it is wanting to break out for its next leg higher. Note the hard support keeping the days lows tighter as volume support increases into forming the handle during the negative days on the DOW.

oldarmy1
AG
So the macro chart above cup and handle points to a breakout move coming. Now here is a day traders INTRADAY cup & handle that shows the breakout taking it to current day highs.

DonaldFDraper
AG
Macro in respect to PBI or the "macro market"?
oldarmy1
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

Macro in respect to PBI or the "macro market"?
PBI
oldarmy1
AG
PBI $16.50 premarket with the Cup $ Handle signal ringing pure.

Fred Piard, a good analyst also sees the momentum behind PBI. What I set out to do with this specific stock was to show/teach you how to identify a stock reaching its long-term trend reversal pivot point, and how I accumulate large positions on these specific stocks with confidence. Here's Fred's list and take on various industrials:

Valuation Dashboard: Industrials - Update
Jan 6 2017, 08:58
About: XLI Includes: BA, DAL, GBX, HII, LUV, MAS, MLHR, NSP, PATK, PBI, RHI, SPY, SRCL, UAL, WNC, VIS, FIDU, IYJ, FXR, UXI, RGI, SIJ, IFLY, AIRR, INDF, JHMI
Summary

Valuation metrics in Industrials.
Evolution since last month.
A list of stocks looking cheap in their industries.
This article series provides a monthly dashboard of industries in each sector of the GICS classification. It compares valuation and quality factors relative to their historical averages in each industry, and gives a list of 10 stocks. I update every month eight lists like this one covering all sectors (some sectors are grouped). The eight lists together have returned about 25% in 2016. If you want to stay informed of updates, click "Follow" at the top of this page. My Marketplace Subscribers have an early access to the stock lists before they are published in free-access articles.

Executive summary

Airlines have very attractive Price/Earnings ratio and Return on Equity, but a bad Price/Sales relative to its own historical averages. An oil price far below the average for the same reference period may explain a part of this discrepancy. Professional Services look close to fair price. Electric Companies and Trading Companies are a bit more overvalued. All other industries are more significantly overpriced.

Since last month:

P/E has improved in Aerospace/Defense, deteriorated in Trading Companies, Services, Airlines, Marine and is stable elsewhere.
P/S has improved in Conglomerates, Road/Rail and deteriorated in Electric Equipment.
P/FCF has improved in Aerospace/Defense and deteriorated in Machinery, Services.
ROE has improved in Aerospace/Defense, Building products and deteriorated in Machinery, Services, Transport Infrastructure.
The SPDR Select Sector ETF (NYSEARCA:XLI) has underperformed the broad market by 2.5%.
The five S&P 500 industrial companies with the best momentum on this period are Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE:LUV), Masco Corp. (NYSE:MAS), Pitney Bowes Inc. (NYSE:PBI), Robert Half International Inc. (NYSE:RHI), Stericycle Inc. (NASDAQ:SRCL). LUV hit an all-time high this week.
One Tooth Man
OA - Looking at PBI. The last three earnings announcements caused this stock to drop. Are you riding this up to earnings as a trade? Will you sell ahead of earnings? or is this an investment? Thanks.
oldarmy1
AG
One Tooth Man said:

OA - Looking at PBI. The last three earnings announcements caused this stock to drop. Are you riding this up to earnings as a trade? Will you sell ahead of earnings? or is this an investment? Thanks.
I want to plant it. That means I want to own 50% of all my accumulated holdings by selling off the other 50%. I traded options on the initial breakout alert and then again today, that helps lower the stock price necessary to reach a net "double" from entry.

So assume average holding entry was $14.30. I would need $28.60 straight up to sell half the shares resulting in a planted "net free" holding. But with the call strategy I've already reduced the base holding down to $13.10 area. That $26.20 might look just as far away as the $28.60 but if I can continue doing this on spotting breakouts then that target price gets lower and lower. At some point they will meet.

Today was a perfect trade opportunity on PBI. It opened just above yesterdays close, moved up to just shy of $16.50 before actually dipping back under yesterdays close to $16.22. That is a signal "load" opportunity where if I had been able to be watching the markets I would have layered on an additional position to sell into the signal move anticipated, further reducing my net holdings cost.

I hope everyone who is genuinely interested in trading to amass wealth is keeping copious notes on how the PBI position is developing. Once you learn this you can do this over and over and over.

Now, let me respond specifically to a part of your question on earnings. I expect PBI to continue its current slow track pattern upward into the next earnings. I'll look at the price and definitely be applying a covered call strategy on at minimum 25% of my total holdings. If they beat earnings enough that the stock jumps and I get called out on those shares then I'll determine how much it deceased my overall target towards planting it.

Make sense?

Here's the current chart. Only thing I don't like is the low volume on the break out today. If volume had matched recent days the move upward would have been significant. If the markets are negative Tuesday we could lose the breakout move short term. Only issue with that would be the time value on the option trade.

redsox34
AG
SN the last two days. wow.
Joseph Parrish
AG
redsox34 said:

SN the last two days. wow.

Yeah, it's kicking ass. Wish I had bought even more.
redsox34
AG
Think you going to sell into this or hold for longer ?
oldarmy1
AG
Darvis Box extends as we wait for the new President.

claym711
AG
DOW is sitting onto of a box full of air right now. 450-500 points of virtually zero volume/support.
ktownag08
AG
OSIR has had a nice climb the last couple of days!
FTAC2011
AG
PBI taking a dive after earnings announcement. OA do you see this as an Opportunity to buy more ?
3rd and 2
AG
AMZN earnings are today. Are y'all thinking it'll move? If so, which direction?
Joseph Parrish
AG
redsox34 said:

Think you going to sell into this or hold for longer ?
Sorry, I missed this one. I never know what to do when one of my stocks makes a huge jump. I don't like trying to guess the peak on a breakout. I'll likely buy more around this area if it gets a little lower, and see if I can sell some covered calls at $14 or $15 since that was our recent high. Looking back before this recent breakout there's a pretty frequent pattern of SN dropping $2-$3 a share from it's recent high before it works its way back. I can't trust that it will happen every time, but I like when I see a pattern as clearly as that one.
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.