Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,107,068 Views | 224617 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by bmoochie
Joseph Parrish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So in an earlier post you said you wouldn't recommend buying back in just yet. I've been pretty successful buying the dips, and that chart shows a pretty strong dip. If SN does happen to drop to $8.00 or close to it, would you pull the trigger on buying more? Or should I wait for a strong volume indicator? What for a slight reversal upward?

I actually hadn't been using the volume indicators at all; I've just been buying in at low points. Again I'm long on oil and gas and this stock.

I'm up ~$22,000 this year on this stock alone just from buying the lows.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
So in an earlier post you said you wouldn't recommend buying back in just yet. I've been pretty successful buying the dips, and that chart shows a pretty strong dip. If SN does happen to drop to $8.00 or close to it, would you pull the trigger on buying more? Or should I wait for a strong volume indicator? What for a slight reversal upward?

I actually hadn't been using the volume indicators at all; I've just been buying in at low points. Again I'm long on oil and gas and this stock.

I'm up ~$22,000 on this year on this stock alone just from buying the lows.
Certainly based on your entries and additions the current value is great. This could be a dip or it could be high value range. I wouldn't be in a hurry to add more here.
aggiemetal
AG
quote:
Dang Jeff...like breaking the dam...now you people are in for it!
LOL hey you know me

So the above I highlighted the options side of my thing but if it wasn't for oldarmy I'd still be sitting on mutual funds being a passive investor and locked into teaching my whole life.

Anyways as I said earlier in the thread and I'll paste it here for those that missed it, Oldarmy took me under his wing about 4 years ago. He's a big fish worth a lot and I at the time just a little guy/schoolteacher. Anyways he's given me countless hours/years of mentorship, fielding all questions, no matter how dumb or naive and giving me the time to talk out scenarios to lessen my growth curve.

When my dad died 3 years back in late May, he kept me engaged all summer when we did kind of day trade via txt but it was more about getting me reps in execution, reading the charts and the tape, and getting my mind off of my pops, all the while learning and growing as a trader. He didn't have to do that. Guy's a multi-millionaire and I'm just a guy but he gave me a ton of time bell to bell, that's the kind of Ag he is (as ya'll can see here in the time he takes on this thread for benefit of all the Aggie traders here).
oldarmy1
AG
BTW - Pretty obvious where support is on the DOW. We had discussed the 18k mark and the "flash down under" probability prior to the 400 point down day. Well that happened almost exactly - in fact exactly. We have tested it and last 4 days see a clear support low now around that 18k mark as anticipated. So you'll note I am more active in talking about Call options off the low end but will also be selling and talking about Put options on the upper end of a very clear channel formed.

Common sense really. We want to be entering long positions as close to the retest lower end because IF IT FAILED our losses would be minimal to exit. We also want to then take profits as we move to the upper end of the channel 18370 area.

One more thought. We all see the waves on markets and stocks. When a sector or stock doesn't participate it bears watching closely. Right now that sector is oil/energy. With few exceptions the oil stocks are not enjoying a nearly 200 point rally. So what are the possibilities? Are they laggers to the move upward presenting you with the opportunity to jump in as they "catch up"? Are they not participating due to underlying factors? Regardless, the longer they fail to join in the more caution you should have. Back to the wave analysis thought...the closer we get to the upper end of the wave "top" without the stock or sector participating the greater the likelihood the recent lows will be challenged on the wave down "pullback".

Oh, and just read your post Jeff. Really appreciate you!

DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Common sense really. We want to be entering long positions as close to the retest lower end because IF IT FAILED our losses would be minimal to exit. We also want to then take profits as we move to the upper end of the channel 18370 area.

Are you suggesting moving money already in play into long positions or injecting fresh capital (if available)?
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
quote:

Are you suggesting moving money already in play into long positions or injecting fresh capital (if available)?
Oh heck no! You know what we need? We need a 401k thread and a trading thread. The 401k thread would rarely have many posts, since they would be macro postings only. The other thread would be a trading thread for all the time in between.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Fair enough! Sorry for muddying the waters. I do enjoy the technical trading analysis and conversation. Just trying to learn and apply on what I have currently.

Feel free to ignore me... I do not want to detract from the trading conversation.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Fair enough! Sorry for muddying the waters. I do enjoy the technical trading analysis and conversation. Just trying to learn and apply on what I have currently.

Feel free to ignore me... I do not want to detract from the trading conversation.

Hey, I wasn't being negative. Based on the days posts I can totally see where you're coming from. It was all of the posts that would be muddying the waters. The "heck no" was self reflection that I have to keep the dialogue clear. My apologies and please ask those questions because that actually helps direct the information.
aggiemetal
AG
be aware of quadruple witching tomorrow (happens quarterly where futures, options, options futures expire on the same day, i forget the other product but it's rarely used so doesn't matter)

anyways people with in the money stock/futures options, or outright futures in the expiring month have to close or roll positions so you usually have a pretty choppy day with a ton of volume

funny tidbit but typically percentages favor a bullish week heading into triple/quadruple witching days (which we've just had) and pretty big up actual witching day . . . .then the week after usually has a pretty significant drop

just a heads up and a thought . . .again I don't speculate on direction in my style but the way things are shaping up we've finally showed susceptibility downwards, we had big bounce this week, if that can continue into tomorrow it sets up a nice fade opportunity heading into Monday or even continued bounce early Monday and then a good fall----I'm not saying to trade it, I'm just saying the numbers and the circumstances definitely have my attention for this set up

DonaldFDraper
AG
You got it boss! Nothing to apologize for to me. I appreciate your efforts.
claym711
AG
I'm super novice on selling premium, Jeff. Thanks for posting. I'll be very interested to see more on that. I'm one of the lemmings you take money from .

Today we rallied hard off double bottom, super symetrical W. Lower high but broke out of triangle and I was expecting that large move as said yesterday. Retraced 50% of an open SPX gap. Sitting just above a VIX gap. Tomorrow is quad witching (4 diff options basket expiration dates). So expect high volume and good range. Daily chart, we have a quad bottom on the 2015 top. Uptrend from Feb low still intact

Ahead of FOMC and BOJ money flowed out of everything (equities, bonds, gold). Not exactly risk off.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh heck no! You know what we need? We need a 401k thread and a trading thread. The 401k thread would rarely have many posts, since they would be macro postings only. The other thread would be a trading thread for all the time in between.
Oldarmy, I think this is a great idea. I've also misinterpreted some of your recommendations as being meant for macro trades, when you were actually speaking about a specific stock or sector. However, I've also really enjoyed this thread and check it daily and have already learned a lot as a passive investor, so either way works for me!
pfo
AG
Fitbit (FIT) up 8% today. I believe this is a new idea/stock for our thread. We use their products and I bought the stock this summer near its low. They have four new products out and they now offer waterproof models as well as jewelry versions for a new higher end market. Fitbit and Apple pretty much own the wearables market. One possible upside hope is their products may one day become accurate enough to replace heart monitors and other physiological monitors for use by doctors. Currently patients are given bulky and inconvenient things to wear home as a diagnostic tool for tackacardia and similar conditions. If Fitbit cracks that market plus their current fitness market it could become a very big stock. But even just fitness alone is becoming a big market.

Oldarmy1 and others any technical thoughts on FIT. I will call the low as being this summer but that's now obvious.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oldarmy, I think this is a great idea. I've also misinterpreted some of your recommendations as being meant for macro trades, when you were actually speaking about a specific stock or sector. However, I've also really enjoyed this thread and check it daily and have already learned a lot as a passive investor, so either way works for me!
I say lets do it then. I am starting a purely Macro trading thread that will post only reversal scenarios. These would be times when capital would be removed or placed into the market on a large scale accordingly. We can still talk macro on here but with the understanding that if it isn't on the other thread it is NOT an official signal to action.
oldarmy1
AG
And we have changed the 1st post on this thread to clarify it as a trading and general market talk thread. This is where most daily action from people should be found.

If Jeff is going to start posting more often we are going to need a bigger boat!
oldarmy1
AG
Futures pointing to a pullback to kick-off quad-witching. Volume should give some indication on how the big money is positioning for the Fed next week and the next quarter.
oldarmy1
AG
Why is Jeff becoming a master trader in my mind? Cause we pressed back above the mid-line yesterday closer towards the upper band and we had a text exchange where he took a lot of his winners off the table.

We are in a caution period. 401k's that took action closer to the top should stay parked waiting for an "all clear" signal or a "get the rest out!" reversal confirmation.

Traders should only enter long trades near support or short positions near resistance AND take all or a good chunk off the table on big range days like the see-saw volitilaty has given last 3 days. These are not buy and hold periods. They are rare, easy 1-2 day trading openings created by uncertainty in macro direction.
oldarmy1
AG
Consumer price index rose .2% versus expected .1%.

Rose .3 if including energy.

Slight lean to fed tightening next week.
SlackerAg
AG
Just a guess: Inflation data prompts a Fed's hawkish tone on raising rates, tanking the market?
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Just a guess: Inflation data prompts a Fed's hawkish tone on raising rates, tanking the market?

Agree on hawkish lean. Tanking not a certainty. Still plenty of near free money with a quarter basis point increase. Does the market digest it and challenge highs, go sideways looking to a pattern or say the writing is on the wall and lose support? Inquiring minds want to know!
Comanche_Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Still plenty of near free money with a quarter basis point increase.

Agree completely. Yet, it seems that every time the Fed even has the slightest hawkish eye twitch, the markets take it hard.
SlackerAg
AG
The panic from this week may be priced in already. I think if Yellen's hawkish comments doesn't trigger a signifacant drop, a support level could be established.
oldarmy1
AG
We are all seeing it the same. Baked in? Markets tank on talk of it but then find support. Oil prices could be the wild card because if it continues to struggle $43.03 currently down another $0.88 then that would lower CPI with its deflationary impact on goods.

Expect some fun volitilaty regardless!
oldarmy1
AG
Real quick - in meeting but we spoke about oil sector not participating and now we know why. Iran glutting the markets sending oil towards lows.

Parrish SN under $8, so interesting to see if it can hold back above $8 today.
aggiemetal
AG
quote:
Why is Jeff becoming a master trader in my mind? Cause we pressed back above the mid-line yesterday closer towards the upper band and we had a text exchange where he took a lot of his winners off the table.

We are in a caution period. 401k's that took action closer to the top should stay parked waiting for an "all clear" signal or a "get the rest out!" reversal confirmation.

Traders should only enter long trades near support or short positions near resistance AND take all or a good chunk off the table on big range days like the see-saw volitilaty has given last 3 days. These are not buy and hold periods. They are rare, easy 1-2 day trading openings created by uncertainty in macro direction.
All about trade location and patience. Full disclosure I don't always follow this and probably the biggest weakness in my game. Again the huge range of leeway my short puts afford me let me get away with this most the time, but I definitely open myself to feeling more heat than I should at times.

That's another big one in general. Actual capital and emotional capital. Obviously you've got to have the former but if you burn through the latter it makes life way harder than it needs to be. Manage winners but also don't be stubborn in stick in a loser that not only taking too much capital heat but wearing you down. Take it off, roll out to something more optimal, lose a battle here and there to win the war.

That depends on your risk tolerance too which you've got to have to be a premium seller. I laid it all out yesteray but it ain't always easy. My risk tolerance is pretty high and I can take a lot of heat if I like how my probabilities on my puts and if my deltas feel balanced but we all have a breaking point when the heat is too much in regards to how cool you can handle decisions that need to be made when bullets are flying. Know yours, sooner than later to save your account and your physical self some grief. I'm not a real emotional guy but this s & * t can "get real" quick LOL.

I went into Brexit night dead wrong. 500+ deltas, it didn't feel good and I even texted Randy late that night and he knew I was feeling the heat, but I scalped futures against it all night, entered the day relatively even, and then tacked onto puts with the juiced vol and with some wind at my back on the bounce had the best week I've had. Point is high pain tolerance helps but don't be stupid with it. It worked for me b/c I was able to think and trade through it, not pretending I was comfy b/c I wasn't, it was a few hours of hell but it got done. If you can't think when bullets are zipping by do more risk averse strategies (again see tastytrade site for far more detail than I can give on all facets of defined risk trades) or simply step out of bounds and reset.

Those events are rare and getting back to original point Randy made, trade location is everything and you'll avoid even more of those rare events with discipline upon entry.

Do you suffer from FOMO? Don't be a victim any longer.

https://start.tastyworks.com#/login?referralCode=75H99Q6WEV
claym711
AG
Last few FOMC member speeches were very dovish. Sept rate hike unlikely IMO. Continued wait and see. BOJ meeting is certainly live though.
pfo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Still plenty of near free money with a quarter basis point increase.

Agree completely. Yet, it seems that every time the Fed even has the slightest hawkish eye twitch, the markets take it hard.

Absolutely correct! A market built on nearly free money correctly fears any change in policy. Betting on the Fed's next comment is gambling IMHO. But I do agree with Randy that the Fed won't do anything to hurt Hillary's chances.

One observation is I believe from the participants at Jackson Hole the Fed has formulated a negative interest rate emergency policy for America. Janet Yellen has now said NIRP wouldn't be an illegal action for the Fed to take and Ben Bernanke suggested NIRP was in their arsenal. Just something for everyone to keep in mind.
oldarmy1
AG
Thus far we've had an "inside range" trading. Haven't challenged yesterdays highs and haven't breached yesterdays lows. That isn't surprising with such a wide range yesterday. Day traders are having a field day trading off intraday ES support levels and selling back to mid range for now.
oldarmy1
AG
GILD has been consolidating after the punishment. It's on my watch list for entry on breakout. You can see the clear resistance around $79.20. Note the rising low marks which clue us in to buyers not waiting for lower support to buy. Should it break out then that huge gap becomes the key target. I trade exclusively options on these trades because, while the breakout move would send the shares higher, a market reversal kills nearly every rally. You can also see the huge volume initial down day followed by a slow sink down. Then a slight move higher before the current basing at new lows hit with the macro market travails. I love this because the initial move on breakout would take the shares almost immediately back to this final sinking move, giving us strategies based on being in a profit position.

Oh, and note the fakey move higher just before the start of the big move down. NEVER eliminate that from your observations.
Joseph Parrish
AG
quote:
Real quick - in meeting but we spoke about oil sector not participating and now we know why. Iran glutting the markets sending oil towards lows.

Parrish SN under $8, so interesting to see if it can hold back above $8 today.

Crazy, didn't think it would quite hit that...let alone open that low. I'm happy with the free $1500 you helped me get.
Comeby!
AG
I'm not sure Iran produces enough oil to glut the markets.
3rd and 2
AG
quote:
I'm not sure Iran produces enough oil to glut the markets.

This. Everyone was afraid of Iran production, but in reality they are waaaaay behind the curve because of Shoddy infrastructure. Saudi Arabia is the one glutting the market right now.
JP76
quote:
quote:
Why is Jeff becoming a master trader in my mind? Cause we pressed back above the mid-line yesterday closer towards the upper band and we had a text exchange where he took a lot of his winners off the table.m

All about trade location and patience. Full disclosure I don't always follow this and probably the biggest weakness in my game. Again the huge range of leeway my short puts afford me let me get away with this most the time, but I definitely open myself to feeling more heat than I should at times.

That's another big one in general. Actual capital and emotional capital. Obviously you've got to have the former but if you burn through the latter it makes life way harder than it needs to be. Manage winners but also don't be stubborn in stick in a loser that not only taking too much capital heat but wearing you down. Take it off, roll out to something more optimal, lose a battle here and there to win the war.

That depends on your risk tolerance too which you've got to have to be a premium seller. I laid it all out yesteray but it ain't always easy. My risk tolerance is pretty high and I can take a lot of heat if I like how my probabilities on my puts and if my deltas feel balanced but we all have a breaking point when the heat is too much in regards to how cool you can handle decisions that need to be made when bullets are flying. Know yours, sooner than later to save your account and your physical self some grief. I'm not a real emotional guy but this s & * t can "get real" quick LOL.

I went into Brexit night dead wrong. 500+ deltas, it didn't feel good and I even texted Randy late that night and he knew I was feeling the heat, but I scalped futures against it all night, entered the day relatively even, and then tacked onto puts with the juiced vol and with some wind at my back on the bounce had the best week I've had. Point is high pain tolerance helps but don't be stupid with it. It worked for me b/c I was able to think and trade through it, not pretending I was comfy b/c I wasn't, it was a few hours of hell but it got done. If you can't think when bullets are zipping by do more risk averse strategies (again see tastytrade site for far more detail than I can give on all facets of defined risk trades) or simply step out of bounds and reset.

Those events are rare and getting back to original point Randy made, trade location is everything and you'll avoid even more of those rare events with discipline upon entry.

Do you suffer from FOMO? Don't be a victim any longer.

How long have you been selling naked puts ?
claym711
AG
Couple of things.

Macro, you can see in this chart, we had a huge gap in the volume profile prior to this recent correction. The correction bounced off of the pictured Value Area High (VAH), which also happens to be the 2015 top breakout. That was previous resistance and is now support. The rebound after correction got sold off the Value Area Low (VAL) from the upper range. That was previous support and is now resistance. Those two identify where buyers or sellers liked priced and bounced it in the opposite direction. Now we have settled right into that gap and are filling, finding a balance between buyers/sellers. Once balanced, likely after FOMC next week, we will move to a new range. That direction is likely dependent upon FOMC forward looking statements, as well as BOJ actions.

Looking in a bit closer, you can see the H&S structure of that massive consolidation range. A head and shoulders formation is a battle of POCs. We had two Points of Control formed when we moved from the first consolidation range (first pink box) to the second consolidation range (second pink box). Those two balanced and we moved to a third consolidation range (third pink box), and created a third POC. You can clearly see the 3 large volume bars on the volume profile. We failed to make a higher high and thus formed what people call a Head and Shoulders pattern. Three balanced levels. Classic TA says we have a measured move down equal to the distance from neckline to head, and you can see that we reached that measured move down almost exactly. This all coincided with the above info. Now we are into a symmetrical triangle with an apex almost exactly at 9/21, which is, you guessed it, the FOMC and BOJ announcement.

It is pretty amazing how the market structure often aligns exactly with major news events.

Heading into FOMC, we now have the ability to set a strong confirmation of the 2015 top breakout, or a strong rejection with a massive island top left above. Much is riding on FOMC and BOJ. I personally think FOMC is another non-event, that they will not raise rates and will continue to discuss things like the economy is strong, but we want more data, and that we are researching additional tools to combat future economic downturns. BOJ is a wild card, but I have serious doubts they will do anything but attempt to pump more liquidity into their market.

After a week of rising bond yields ahead of these meetings, this is why I want to be long bonds. Additional insight on SPX, there is some good RSI divergence going on while making these lows, which is bullish. My best guess on direction out of FOMC is higher, but as others have said, betting on FOMC is gambling. The underlying economy is not strong, but central bankers will keep us floating for as long as possible ahead of a recession that I believe is upcoming.
oldarmy1
AG
Awesome analysis Claym!
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.