Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,012,838 Views | 224172 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by McInnis 03
jws456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys - all this info is pure gold and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can as I dove into this a few weeks ago. I've seen decent returns so far and am eager to learn.

My question - do y'all have any recommendations on books to read to acquire basic knowledge and fundamentals? TIA
ProgN
jws456 said:

Guys - all this info is pure gold and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can as I dove into this a few weeks ago. I've seen decent returns so far and am eager to learn.

My question - do y'all have any recommendations on books to read to acquire basic knowledge and fundamentals? TIA
Where do you have an account at? I only ask, because TDAmeritrade has an excellent resource center and if you activate Think or Swim, you can actually paper trade securities while you're learning. Seeing what your learning applied to stocks/options you're paper trading will spend up the process.

Also, this thread is extremely valuable and there's a wealth of market experience shared on here from different prospectives.
TChaney
leoj
AG
Not as automated or condensed as you're looking for, but companies should have that information broken down in their 10-K.
TChaney
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

Don't know if this is the rug pull or not but keep in mind cases are not going down while cities and states are opening up. Investors may get the picture that Covid is not going away. Patiently waiting for 2500.
Or investors are going to realize that this is being blown out of proportion as more antibody testing takes place. I still think we see a solid pullback, but I think the narrative is going to begin shifting to a sense of herd immunity over the coming weeks. Look at Sweden.

Did you see NY estimated 12.3% exposure in information Cuomo released today?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Link:

http://brooklyn.news12.com/story/42081055/gov-cuomo-latest-ny-antibody-testing-results-show-123-rate-of-infection
leoj
AG
TChaney said:

leoj said:

Not as automated or condensed as you're looking for, but companies should have that information broken down in their 10-K.
Thank You, I have been digging around through 8-K filings lately I'll check out the 10-Ks as I am going through them.

I had found a few from searching the web, I had no idea that Smithfield Ham was Chinese owned now, nor about AMC theaters until recently.
8-K is really only for updating investors on material changes to the business or corporate events, etc. Consolidated financial info is in the 10Q or 10K.

I've always found Seeking Alpha to be the quickest way to access info on companies and the SEC filings are no exception. Took me a minute to open up NVDA's latest 10K from February in pdf form, ctrl-F for Asia, and there on page 67 you can see that they have $2,731m out of $10,918m in revenues from China during FY 2020, along with 2019 and 2018 info as well.
IrishTxAggie
AG
NY as a whole. NYC is at almost at 20%.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Another 2X to 3X required for herd immunity and the unknown on how long antibodies last.
jh0400
AG
TChaney said:

leoj said:

Thank You, I have been digging around through 8-K filings lately I'll check out the 10-Ks as I am going through them.

I had found a few from searching the web, I had no idea that Smithfield Ham was Chinese owned now, nor about AMC theaters until recently.

To do business in China you generally have to have a Chinese subsidiary. If you have access to a tool that has subsidiary search capability I'd start there.
gig em 02
I think someone posted some big buying in 1/21 AAL puts, I meant to point out that there is a 100% chance that was an insider, now we know who they were an insider of
ProgN
AGSmith
AG
How does anyone, preferably everyone, look at PTON? Earnings are coming this week (May 6), and I own some shares. I'm looking to do some covered call trading (work limitations). Should I stick with it, or find a lower priced stock?
gougler08
AG
AGSmith said:

How does anyone, preferably everyone, look at PTON? Earnings are coming this week (May 6), and I own some shares. I'm looking to do some covered call trading (work limitations). Should I stick with it, or find a lower priced stock?

Covered calls seem like a good choice. If earnings go down you keep the premium so you've hedges against the stock going down. If it goes up then you probably get called out and you take your profits on to the next one
Touchless
AG
gig em 02 said:

I think someone posted some big buying in 1/21 AAL puts, I meant to point out that there is a 100% chance that was an insider, now we know who they were an insider of

I own like 250 shares of aal. Can you clarify that or go into some more detail? What makes you say that? Grassyass
gig em 02
Rice and Fries said:

McInnis 03 said:

AAL PUTS

https://i.imgur.com/0OAdJEF_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Helped you out.

You can put .png at the end of the imgur link to have the image show.

In order to cover up insider trading people will buy options with a longer timeline. If they had bought 5/15 $9 puts knowing that Buffet was going to announce that BRK sold every airline stock it owns it would be a lot more obvious. They will only make $100,000,000 on this trade instead of $500,000,000.
gig em 02
Touchless said:

gig em 02 said:

I own like 250 shares of aal. Can you clarify that or go into some more detail? What makes you say that? Grassyass
I found the previous post and posted it above. Would be nice if I could tag you in that one. Buffet sold all of his airline stocks and announced it this weekend. Somebody made a huge bet that airline stocks would go down late last week.
thirdcoast
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Need $59 on INTC and shorts will accelerate covering upwards.

Bob Knights Paper Hands
Part of that could have been betting against the earnings calls. We all knew they'd be terrible and even beating estimates hasn't saved companies from a drop when there was bad news or outlook along with it.

...but yeah it smells like someone that knew something.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
"Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway said on Friday it sold about 18% of its stake in Delta Air Lines and 4% of its holdings in Southwest Airlines this week"

This just sounds like rebalancing to me
AgShaun00
AG
Bought some aal puts Friday. Hope this pays off
pfo
AG
SHOP, PYPL and DIS report earnings this week. SHOP had a flag pattern going which was violated Friday.

The rush to online sales has probably turned into a stampede with the virus shutdown. As a result of that, I expect good numbers out of SHOP.
ProgN
ProgN
ProgN
12thMan86
AG
jws456 said:

Mastering the Trade-John Carter
leoj
AG
PoopyPullup said:

"Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway said on Friday it sold about 18% of its stake in Delta Air Lines and 4% of its holdings in Southwest Airlines this week"

This just sounds like rebalancing to me

No, read his quotes from the investor meeting. He is all out and sold at a loss.

Anyone going to be looking at shorting or puts on Monday? Long way down for next support for some of these airlines.
leoj
AG
Hendrix
AG
it's going to be bloody this week isnt it? feels like it a red open tomorrow to me based on the news cycle.
leoj
AG
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ah crap. Guess I'll average down tomorrow
leoj
AG
oldarmy1
AG
Prognightmare said:

What you do with this kind of info is know that any buys below it will be instantly returned. It's how I played ROKU on its plunge below $92 VWap.
jws456
AG
I have just been on Robinhood. Got in for the first time when the market bottomed out (hopefully) in March. At your suggestion, I've opened up an account with TDA and am in the process of transferring over funds to there. Interested to begin exploring their literature and resources as I progress in this. Thanks for the help.

I may not have much to offer to this thread, but over the past couple of weeks I've gone through and read the entire thing from beginning. Appears to be a real solid group of people here. It's pretty cool that we all have the same objectives (learn and grow wealth), but are all at various stages in our development. Looking forward to continuing to observe and take in as much information as y'all are willing to pass along. Thanks again!
First Page Last Page
Page 1449 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.