Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,060,410 Views | 224374 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by bmoochie
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prognightmare said:

It's the truth. He wants to major in stupid ****, he can finance that road to nowhere himself.
I don't even know you and I know you're a better dad than 90% of America...
ProgN
Thank you
Maximus_Meridius
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Appreciate the input y'all. Rough week for my account. Will see what Monday brings. I do really thank you for the input and will re read out a few times to bang it into my head.
These weeks happen. I've had plenty, and I've only been doing this since August. Walk away for a week or two if you need to. I think I made less than 10 trades in March after things went to hell (lost about 40% of what my account was at that point), but in April I was able to make some moves that brought me to personal bests. Make smaller plays going forward until you find your stride. Any time I follow OA, at the MOST it's been 5 contracts, and that's rare. Usually I'm dealing with 1 or 2. My call/put spread I posted earlier? 1 contract each. And in general, my policy is that unless I feel in the marrow this sucker's running, my trigger finger starts itching at 30%.

I know for a fact you're a sharp cookie. It's not above or beyond you.
tailgatetimer10
AG
They are doing a ton of work in Brownsville. It's crazy.
AggiePeeps06
AG
If it makes you feel better. I have all my profits riding o TSLA over the weekend. True story

But on another note, you sound disciplined which is important. Maybe you got out over your skis this week. Rein it back in and play your strategy and you'll be fine. I broke my own rule this week and weekend and my account shows it. I'll see if I get lucky over the weekend and save my a$$
spud1910
AG
You've had some good advice already, but wanted to add my 2c worth. I spent most of my investing life as a long term buy and hold guy. 2 or 3 years ago, I found this thread and started reading. I opened a trading account with Robinhood and started losing the money I could afford to lose, buying stocks with that buy and forget mentaility. (AVEO). A little over a year ago, OA made a strong recommendation on an option, CSCO I believe. I had about $1000 or so in my account, but that option quadrupled it. I hit a homerun on my first option play and I was hooked. I did ok over the next 2 or 3 months, then did a trial with Dan Shapiro. The first full week, I was not able to work due to injury, so I had a full week to watch the market all day. I made more that week than I would have if I had worked (selfemployeed) and tripled my account. I thought I was amazing and it was so easy! Next thing you know, my over confidence and returning to work had me back down to where I started. I spent the next few months slowly building back up as I recognized and corrected some of my mistakes. Then in December, I started to do well again. By February, I was beginning to think I needed to retire and trade full time. Then March brought the Robinhood disaster and I didn't get the benefit of a great trade I had made since I couldn't sell before expiration. It pissed me off and I spend most of March taking unnecessary chances, trying to get back to where I thought I should have been. Finally, in April, I started trading more sensibly and with the pandemic, had more time to trade. I was back to where I thought I needed to be. Until my overconfidence and working that kept me from the market at the closing yesterday made me think I could hold AMZN through earnings.
EngrAg14
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Appreciate the input y'all. Rough week for my account. Will see what Monday brings. I do really thank you for the input and will re read out a few times to bang it into my head.

You seem to be like where I was around a year ago.
Not holding long enough before the big pushes up or down, seeing money being gained or lost and freaking out to sell too early instead of going with what my chart reading and indicators were telling me only to be fulfilled hours or days later and realize I left gains or took additional losses I didnt need to take.

Follow the set of 'rules' you come up with and dont get off them. Such as always take profit of 50% etc, a profit is a profit much better to win some than lose a lot.
claym711
AG
Prognightmare said:

khaos288 said:

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I was thinking there was obviously some historical data to go with that assumption, but I just didn't know what it was.

Is the thought Literally pick and choose what your 401ks are invested in?
It's been awhile since I was really looking into it, but this is basically what their plans are. I also should say, it's progressives, most dem pols are progressives but there are also some republicans, so both are corrupt *******s.

1) They want to change the legal definition of IRA and 401Ks into "Trusts". The government would be the trustee. They will then tell everyone that they will guarantee income when you reach a certain age. Think UBI, for old people.

2) They'll use the majority of your investments to buy government bonds, for "safety". The real reason, is because of insane spending and printing of money the dollar will fall and foreign nations will stop buying our bonds.

3) Essentially, your retirement accounts would become the property of the government. You'll get a monthly stipend but you will not be able to will it to your heirs.

It's evil, and everyone needs to be vigilant in the future when congress, regardless of who's in control, starts talking about this ***** Pushback needs to be quick, loud and overpowering.

Agree this is coming. When they digitize all money and link out accounts with the Fed(treasury), it's over. Retirements are a govt honey pot.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Someone always knows...

Anybody play this one? Wanted to but never did get around to freeing up the funds. Missed it
thirdcoast
AG
They better eliminate the 2nd amendment before they start stealing our retirement.
Grown Pear
AG
claym711 said:

Prognightmare said:

khaos288 said:

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I was thinking there was obviously some historical data to go with that assumption, but I just didn't know what it was.

Is the thought Literally pick and choose what your 401ks are invested in?
It's been awhile since I was really looking into it, but this is basically what their plans are. I also should say, it's progressives, most dem pols are progressives but there are also some republicans, so both are corrupt *******s.

1) They want to change the legal definition of IRA and 401Ks into "Trusts". The government would be the trustee. They will then tell everyone that they will guarantee income when you reach a certain age. Think UBI, for old people.

2) They'll use the majority of your investments to buy government bonds, for "safety". The real reason, is because of insane spending and printing of money the dollar will fall and foreign nations will stop buying our bonds.

3) Essentially, your retirement accounts would become the property of the government. You'll get a monthly stipend but you will not be able to will it to your heirs.

It's evil, and everyone needs to be vigilant in the future when congress, regardless of who's in control, starts talking about this ***** Pushback needs to be quick, loud and overpowering.

Agree this is coming. When they digitize all money and link out accounts with the Fed(treasury), it's over. Retirements are a govt honey pot.

The scariest part of all that is not just that the government would take and what is mine/my family's... it's that the government would then have control over those underlying assets (which is ownership in all publicly traded companies of the United States). Yikes
IrishTxAggie
AG
I played them personally. Had a cost of ~$2.20. Sold 2/3 of them for $7.50 earlier this week.
ProgN
thirdcoast said:

They better eliminate the 2nd amendment before they start stealing our retirement.
It's one of the main reasons they are trying to dismantle the 2A.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Wow. Nice...
Carlo4
AG
Anyone have a site or list of Australian companies to invest? I went and looked at case data and have a hunch they will do much better at recovery and return back to "normal" life.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/
McInnis 03
AG
EngrAg14 said:

McInnis 03 said:

You seem to be like where I was around a year ago.
Not holding long enough before the big pushes up or down, seeing money being gained or lost and freaking out to sell too early instead of going with what my chart reading and indicators were telling me only to be fulfilled hours or days later and realize I left gains or took additional losses I didnt need to take.

Follow the set of 'rules' you come up with and dont get off them. Such as always take profit of 50% etc, a profit is a profit much better to win some than lose a lot.

This is precisely me
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
IrishTxAggie
AG
Look into lithium companies. Australia has some of the best lithium deposits in the world
ProgN
Carlo4 said:

Anyone have a site or list of Australian companies to invest? I went and looked at case data and have a hunch they will do much better at recovery and return back to "normal" life.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/
Australia was in in summer when the virus outbreak began, they're now in the fall. Covid is vulnerable to heat and sunlight, therefore their cases remain low. Let's see if they get their flareups when their winter arrives in a couple of months.

I'd be cautious
IrishTxAggie
AG
I think Australia is going to take the Swedish approach. Its proven effective with the least amount of economic collateral damage IMO
Carlo4
AG
Thank you both for the feedback. I'll definitely consider both in terms of researching stocks and being cautious on the seasons.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Rio
Huge miner, great dividend
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

I think Australia is going to take the Swedish approach. Its proven effective with the least amount of economic collateral damage IMO
We should have done the Swedish approach as well.
sherminator
Sweden has a higher death/1M than us. What am I missing about their great approach?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Agsrback12
While our deaths stack up and catch them, if not exceed them in total deaths, Sweden will be over it and not have lost jobs. We will have same amount of deaths if not more and also lose lives due to economic damage. We chose poorly.
gvine07
AG
Just a bunch of consumers?
leoj
AG
Hp pointing out higher lows on ROKU

Edit: on the weekly chart
ProgN
leoj said:

This is gonna be an important week for ROKU. There is going to have to be a big push higher with earnings or it could spike down towards that big gap at $98-100. JMO. It's in no mans land right now.
Bonfire1996
AG
sherminator said:

Sweden has a higher death/1M than us. What am I missing about their great approach?
they won't have nearly the proportional increase in the following like we will:

- financial stress related suicide
- isolation related suicide
- child sexual abuse
- domestic abuse
- alcohol related abuse
- elderly isolation neglect

But since those aren't COVID, it doesn't count, right?
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

leoj said:

This is gonna be an important week for ROKU. There is going to have to be a big push higher with earnings or it could spike down towards that big gap at $98-100. JMO. It's in no mans land right now.
Yep, the stocks that are seeing gains/holds during lockdown have potential to trend down during re-opening.

I do think Roku is good long term though. There's a reason it flashed so high this year. It's got a good business model, and is expanding. Plus I think there is a certain amount of stay at home/work from home that will be embedded in the culture from now on that will lead to more entertainment purchases via roku. Heck even a single major studio decides to start releasing straight to stream is a huge boon for roku.
khaos288
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

sherminator said:

they won't have nearly the proportional increase in the following like we will:

- financial stress related suicide
- isolation related suicide
- child sexual abuse
- domestic abuse
- alcohol related abuse
- elderly isolation neglect

But since those aren't COVID, it doesn't count, right?
Sad state of the world when people can't handle a few months at home.

Divorce attorneys going to make a ton of money this year.
ProgN
khaos288 said:

Prognightmare said:

leoj said:

Yep, the stocks that are seeing gains/holds during lockdown have potential to trend down during re-opening.

I do think Roku is good long term though. There's a reason it flashed so high this year. It's got a good business model, and is expanding. Plus I think there is a certain amount of stay at home/work from home that will be embedded in the culture from now on that will lead to more entertainment purchases via roku. Heck even a single major studio decides to start releasing straight to stream is a huge boon for roku.
ROKU is a must own long term imo. They are THE arms dealer in the streaming wars with the best platform. I bought 100 shares at $30 the day after Christmas in 2018 for my son's college account and won't sell it. They are also expanding into India, China and Europe, complete with channels that will create content in those languages. They haven't even been giving updated plans and figures for that yet and that is going to be HUGE long term.

With that said, the markets look a little heavy and tired at the moment and it's hard for a stock to fight the current if the markets drop, no matter the news. This combined with the MACD on ROKU will make me avoid this as an earnings play. I'll be prepared to go long the stock if it does fill that gap though. If it goes higher, I'll buy it on it's next pullback, even if that means it's 120-130 because it will end up going even higher later on,
ProgN
I know mine currently is off of my ass.
khaos288
AG
This is my exact strategy. I'm in a holding pattern for every long stock at the moment, and once there is a little stability, I'll buy up a bunch of stuff.

Will it potentially cost me not catching the bottom? Yes. Will it also potentially save me a ton from trying to guess bottom and getting it wrong? Hell yes.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think there will be a big opportunity around Q2 results depending on how optimistic or pessimistic companies are.
First Page Last Page
Page 1448 of 6411

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.