Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,987,446 Views | 224150 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by ProgN
OverSeas AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
ProgN
That can't be real.
AgEng06
AG
Ok... amateur question:

If I have a stock that doubles in price from when I bought it. Do I sell half of the shares, breaking even, and then let the rest of the shares sit long term? The "doubled" price (at which I would sell) is about 1/4 of the 52-week high.
krosch11
AG

"And one day I just felt like running, I ran past $5, and figured well I'd just as much run to $6, and from there I thought I might as well run all the way to $9. So thats what I did I ran all the way to $9".

LADR is Forrest Gump today.
Touchless
AG
LADR 5/15 $5C $0.5

Not sure if I should get out and take the winnings or let it ride out. Feel like there will be a retraction on it but a month and a half out has a lot of room to run. Just wish I'd bought more of them.
Harkrider 93
AG
to reiterate what everyone else said:

Paul Tudor Jones is a hedge fund manager and called the 1987 crash.

He thinks we will be higher in 3-5mos than we are today. He also thinks we retest the lows and possibly lower in April.

Everyone does think we will go lower, me included. If I were you, I would go with the consensus on this. However, we may not retest lows. We may only get to 2250 and then ride up.
gougler08
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

to reiterate what everyone else said:

Paul Tudor Jones is a hedge fund manager and called the 1987 crash.

He thinks we will be higher in 3-5mos than we are today. He also thinks we retest the lows and possibly lower in April.

Everyone does think we will go lower, me included. If I were you, I would go with the consensus on this. However, we may not retest lows. We may only get to 2250 and then ride up.
My personal opinion is that I'll go long on some stuff when we close that gap at SPY 230...may not be a true bottom but I think that's a good entry point
FishrCoAg
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

McInnis 03 said:

SDC getting squeezed up?
Dunno, but I'm liking it. Figured I'd be holding that bag a long time...

Up 42% right now
Now if it will just double from there I'll be even on the shares I got put to me selling naked puts!
Ragoo
AG
AgEng06 said:

Ok... amateur question:

If I have a stock that doubles in price from when I bought it. Do I sell half of the shares, breaking even, and then let the rest of the shares sit long term? The "doubled" price (at which I would sell) is about 1/4 of the 52-week high.
if you bought enough to write calls against half do that then use premium to buy put protection against the entire holding.
leoj
AG
They're really trying to keep spx under 2600. Like the great wall of China right now
Barty Dont Hedge
I wasn't ready for today's big run up. Can we have a do-over?
AgEng06
AG
Ha, I don't know anything about options.
Harkrider 93
AG
For the you and others asking on should I sell and capture profit:

OldArmy can correct me, but the reason why he has been so successful is that he follows the rules he made. Once the stock hits his target (model T, etc) he sells.

You need to do the same. If you try to use gut/emotion for every buy and sell, you will likely do worse than following the rules.

I don't know what I am talking about right now. I am working on building rules for myself.

Barnyard96
AG
Prognightmare said:

That can't be real.
I need to see more than one random lion to believe this story.
Alta
AG
Yea - I ****ed up by moving to cash yesterday. Should have waited another day. Oh well.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Touchless said:

LADR 5/15 $5C $0.5

Not sure if I should get out and take the winnings or let it ride out. Feel like there will be a retraction on it but a month and a half out has a lot of room to run. Just wish I'd bought more of them.
This is not the environment to be overly greedy in. I left ~$10k on the table selling out of all of my LADR calls, but I look at as I made ~$5k. Cover your costs and take some profits. Leave some for a runner
aeroag14
AG
tamc1956ag said:

I bought RCL at 32$. good buy?

I bought at $32 and change the other day. Just got out at just over $48. I will take being up 50% over 3 days!

NCLH did even better. Up 75% over 3 days!
Grown Pear
AG
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-markets-historic-bounce-may-signal-near-term-bottom-but-a-retest-of-the-low-like-1987-and-2008-is-still-a-possibility-2020-03-25

This is a good read about what Most of us are expecting around here.
leoj
AG
Alta said:

Yea - I ****ed up by moving to cash yesterday. Should have waited another day. Oh well.
I think the best advice I've received on this board is to take profits and not get greedy. That especially holds true in this environment. Don't get FOMO or worry about possibilities, just move on to the next set up or trade.
HustlerAggie
Agzonfire said:

Bought SDOW at 55 this morning thinking we would have some red days ahead. Theres thinking that the jobs report should bring the market back down, right?
Bet you wish you had a redo.
Hustle Harder
AgShaun00
AG
Barty said:

I wasn't ready for today's big run up. Can we have a do-over?
Amen
thirdcoast
AG
Bought UDOW at open and rolled into SPXS just now....don't see how this rally is sustained next week unless COVID is solved.

And of course BA Aug puts.
Trolley Problems
Ok, need some input -

I'm sitting on a 248 x 258 SPY strangle, expiring tomorrow. The 258C are in the money, but the 248P are out of the money further than the calls are in the money. Options as I see them:

1. Close out the call for a slight profit, let the put ride to see if we swing the other way the second half of the day today / tomorrow morning.

2. Let them both ride, hoping for more run up today / tomorrow morning to put the call further in the money before closing out the whole position.

3. Close them both out now for a ~20% loss on the thought that time decay is going to kill me with expiry tomorrow and I'd be cutting losses.

What're everybody's thoughts? I'm kinda leaning towards #1, but I figured I'd ask since I'm still learning.
Fitch
AG
Sweet baby jeses LADR
Pignorant
AG
LADR up 165%
GigEmRangers75455
I sold my 1,000 today at 6.55. Was in at 4.97. Should have stayed...
Troy91
AG
Went net free on LADR. Now, I am long on it.

First time for me. Thank you to everyone with the good ideas.
Touchless
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Touchless said:

LADR 5/15 $5C $0.5

This is not the environment to be overly greedy in. I left ~$10k on the table selling out of all of my LADR calls, but I look at as I made ~$5k. Cover your costs and take some profits. Leave some for a runner
Sold 3 of the 5. Holding the other 2 until it either gets to $12, or drops back down to $7
Aggietaco
AG
Fitch said:

Sweet baby jeses LADR
In at 6, out at 10.
FishrCoAg
AG
Educate me on SDOW, specifically why not buy it at 46.80ish and sell an April covered call for 8.50?
leoj
AG
Aggietaco
AG
Meanwhile, what's up with $ROKU?
tam2002
AG
Count me as one of the ones that sold LADR 2 days ago
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Texags B&I called it and I was wrong the bottom has been set and it's a clear bottom so BUY BUY BUY !!!
-Lee Corso
azul_rain
AgOutsideAustin said:

Texags B&I called it and I was wrong the bottom has been set and it's a clear bottom so BUY BUY BUY !!!
-Lee Corso
First Page Last Page
Page 1202 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.