Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,523,436 Views | 223305 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The financial system is in the process of being destroyed right now, IMO. Any enforced quarantine and the debt bubble will pop and it's done. System will not survive as is.

FWIW I'm hearing rumblings of enforced lockdown of Nyc and San Fran
khaos288
AG
claym711 said:

The financial system is in the process of being destroyed right now, IMO. Any enforced quarantine and the debt bubble will pop and it's done. System will not survive as is.

San Fran announces 24 hour for the next 3 weeks.

NYC I know is coming from a friend who lives there and is plugged in. Worst kept secret.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Jdrexgman
AG
claym711 said:

I think we're potentially heading there now.

The FED was already pumping $Billions into the REPO market for several week/months before this pandemic started.

Now the FED is pumping $1 Trillion a day into it. Velocity has crawled to standstill so it's a perpetual downward spiral.

We're starting to see worldwide central bank coordination now. So how much is it going to take to crawl out of this? Could we see $100 - $300 Trillion printed/deployed when it's all said and done?

Question: who bails out all the central banks if this thing blows? The IMF with the SDR?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
AggiePeeps06
AG
Also, wouldn't the Fed just keep pumping money into the markets or force banks to give forbearance to customers?
khaos288
AG
AggiePeeps06 said:

Also, wouldn't the Fed just keep pumping money into the markets or force banks to give forbearance to customers?

Literally just start bailing out people and giving money away. It's Being discussed.
AggieKeith15
AG
Trump wants to win reelection, so in my mind nothing is off the table as far as aiding certain companies (banks in particular). And remember this is like a month slow down at most, things will work out. In a year or two there might be a giant bubble, but we will deal with the problem before us for the time being. Lol
claym711
AG
Almost zero chance at this point it's a month slow down. It's already been nearly a month. And, the system can barely withstand 1 month of consumption recession. At some point we should start asking ourselves if we even want that system to survive.

With the collapse of the current financial paradigm comes great opportunity for meaningful change.

There was only 1 way this debt paradigm was going to end. It is Inevitable. Might as well be now while we have the bankruptcy guru in office.
AggieKeith15
AG
That's assuming we stay the course with the shutdown. I think things get turned back up if there's any real threat to having a massive financial catastrophe unfold. Trump won't let things get that bad. He will claim the media hyped it before things spiral like that.

Also, a lot of companies have paid on fixed expenses for March and have made revenues this month, there not empty at the caufers yet. Assuming local businesses stay afloat by temporarily sending their employees home.. they technically only have fixed expenses for April, maybe May to pay on without revenue. I would think with good charity, government assistance (delayed/waived taxes) most should be fine.

I may be too optimistic or naive, but it feels like things are going to be fine.

ETA: I think this pandemic downturn will lead to new markets in insurance. Things like this will be paid on as coverage, which would allow companies to operate as they have been but make them prepared in case something like this happens again.
Brewmaster
AG
wow this thread went downhill. The spanish flu killed over 50 million and infected 500 million. If you think this is bad, remember those numbers.

At some point the markets will recover and life will go on.
Phil Rirruto
I boldly predict it's somewhere between "collapse of the financial paradigm" and "feels like everything will be just fine".
Brewmaster
AG
claym711 said:

Then what replaces it when "it's done"? and personally what are you doing to prepare? are you 100% cash and not trading? own a bunker with supplies?
GreasenUSA
AG
Recent posts here make me think it's getting fairly close to being time to go long.
agdaddy04
AG
Been getting the emails now about retail stores closing. Guessing all of them will follow suit now.
Ragoo
AG
Buy when everyone is fearful or some such.
aunuwyn08
AG
I have a feeling silver is about to jump big time. Silver is becoming very difficult to find in bars or coins on the major metal exchanges online. Only sources available now on APMEX are proof coins which have large numismatic mark ups beyond spot values.
moses1084ever
AG
The gold silver price ratio is at all time highs

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/price-ratio/gold/silver/alltime/
leoj
AG

moses1084ever
AG
Bought a may crude put 26.5 strike @ 4.08... crude dipping into a 25 handle now
Carlo4
AG
As someone who went this route via 2008/2011... it's not going to jump until after QE starts happening after a market bottom.

Physical always best, but the price dropped 50% on exchange like the market did. Then it came roaring back 2 years later and a bubble formed.
McInnis 03
AG
Limit down.
Carlo4
AG
And SPXS up 21% since market close yesterday
moses1084ever
AG
Anyone interested in the fujifilms play, there's two tickers FUJIF and FUJIY. FUJIY is an unsponsored ADR meaning it got listed on the exchanges with out sponsorship from Fujifilm (seems illegal???).
Aggies1322
AG
How do yall see APA long term? Is $4.50 a ridiculous discount before a rise or will I just burn money?
claym711
AG
I am trading, market won't disappear no matter what happens. <5% of my portfolio is in equities.

Exsurge Domine
leoj said:

This can't be surprising to anyone, entire industries are shutting down at the moment. We knew it was going to have a huge impact.
moses1084ever
AG
bailed on my put at breakeven. very skittish
gougler08
AG
moses1084ever said:

bailed on my put at breakeven. very skittish

For what stock?
E
AG
NIO
moses1084ever
AG
my put option on /CL (crude oil)
moses1084ever
AG
24 handle on crude now ::facepalm::
Harkrider 93
AG
This guy is one of the most bearish people based on his past comments over the years.

A couple of interesting points:

• "Given the size of our economy relative to where it was 1015 years ago, it would probably be appropriate for Congress to pass a TARP-style program of $2 trillion.
  • Then on the back of that, the Fed would have the ability to introduce a TALF-style program again.
  • So, it's going to take some major firepower to resolve the forthcoming problems or the slide will continue.

This is the scenario that leads to global depression. Should policymakers fail to get these sorts of programs in place quickly, there is increasing risk that we could fall into a deep, dark spiral. "

Summary: scary but hope.

Also found this interesting:

• t this stage it would be unwise to make a tactical play to reduce risk, then try to figure out where the bottom is, then get back in. For those types of investors, I think at this point you missed your chance to get out.
  • Investors panic too often and try to do too many tactical trades rather than just sticking with their long-term view. The opportunity to sell risk assets has passed.

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/commentaries/2020/03/17/shock-and-awe-falls-short
gougler08
AG
E said:

NIO
Oh boy
gougler08
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

This guy is one of the most bearish people based on his past comments over the years.

A couple of interesting points:

• "Given the size of our economy relative to where it was 1015 years ago, it would probably be appropriate for Congress to pass a TARP-style program of $2 trillion.
  • Then on the back of that, the Fed would have the ability to introduce a TALF-style program again.
  • So, it's going to take some major firepower to resolve the forthcoming problems or the slide will continue.

This is the scenario that leads to global depression. Should policymakers fail to get these sorts of programs in place quickly, there is increasing risk that we could fall into a deep, dark spiral. "

Summary: scary but hope.

Also found this interesting:

• t this stage it would be unwise to make a tactical play to reduce risk, then try to figure out where the bottom is, then get back in. For those types of investors, I think at this point you missed your chance to get out.
  • Investors panic too often and try to do too many tactical trades rather than just sticking with their long-term view. The opportunity to sell risk assets has passed.

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/commentaries/2020/03/17/shock-and-awe-falls-short
Agree with the last 2 bullet points...sucks (as I'm one of those), but selling now wouldn't get me anywhere. Will sell covered calls and try to make some money on strangles for SPY until the volatility dies down
First Page Last Page
Page 1130 of 6381

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.