Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,090,334 Views | 224479 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by sts7049
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been using a 401k account I got rolled into. Most of it is in a pretty diverse portfolio of ETFs. I'm not touching those. I had a few Grand in cash that I have been using to run with yall. Been buying some stocks in GE, JD, NIO, SNSS, TLRA, and something else I cant remember. Also been buying puts against GE and NIO which have done well.

I'm 43. I'm not retiring any time soon so I'm not concerned about the drop.
Post removed:
by user
khaos288
AG
So far every time I feel like it's bottom. I see a nice mid day bump and sell. It has worked out.

I don't feel like it's the bottom now, so it probably is. Roku for 71 seems insane. COF for 61 seems insane. Goog under 1100 seems cheap. T for for 30 as a dividend stock seems awesome, same for sphd at 30. Vnq for 71 seems safe based on their assets. Pep at 112 is another decent dividend stock. Dis at 88 and AAL at 13 round out my plans to buy and hold.
thirdcoast
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Just had a really hard talk with my own dad that didn't end well for either of us. He's 100% long in stocks this entire time, retired, and doesn't know how's he doing other than losing more money than I could imagine in the last three weeks. I teared up a little.

He's not wealthy by any stretch but does well enough. We've been talking about the market everyday last three weeks and bouncing ideas off each other and advice on what to do.

He's such an intelligent and good man, but I cannot believe what he told me.

That's tough, hang in. I can't imagine being near retirement or retired. I'm learning some costly lessons about need to have cash sidelined.

Unfortunately we have the perfect unforseen storm now of:

1) Med pros trying to scare people into being safe and not spreading further.

2) Dems and media panicking investors into a recession to benefit their chances at power.

3) Oil demand and supply double whammy

Barnyard96
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone not near retirement age actually pull their money out of the market during this pullback in their retirement accounts? I personally never touch mine as I have 20+ years to go but looking at the balance, man I wish I would have!
No and I didn't in 2008 either. What I did do in 2008 (in disgust) was pull back on my contributions. I will not make that mistake this time.

TXAG14
Disney World shutting down.

drill4oil78
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone not near retirement age actually pull their money out of the market during this pullback in their retirement accounts? I personally never touch mine as I have 20+ years to go but looking at the balance, man I wish I would have!
I am in retirement and invested in stocks. I sold about 50% of my holdings in Feb near the high and bought short ETFs to hedge and sold covered calls on other positions. My weekly and daily charts said get out. I sold those ETFs a little to early when support levels were hit. I figured we were in a correction and would be down 10-20%. I have accounts that are fully taxable so I look at tax ramifications when selling. That is why I did not sell everything. Looking backwards that was a wrong move. No one could have predicted the oil price crush and the virus coming together and this fast of a downfall. History making like 1987. There will be a chance to sell in the future at better prices if you think we are in a long term bear. We will have a rally and it will be a big rally. Bull rallies in a bear market are violet on the upside and quick. When it moves in a hyperbolic fashion to the downside it is hard to sell. This market is historically oversold, but can get more oversold, but usually when a downdraft likes this has happened in the past there are big moves up after wards. When that comes who knows. It could start tomorrow. We are going to have a 10% day in the future and who knows what will trigger it. But when you are down 30% from the highs it will take a 45% move to get back to the highs.

Panic and fear is in the streets and it is dumb to sell when irrational decisions are being made by many at this time. Personally I am not buying now either. I will wait for a rally and a retest or a further down move to new lows over the next few months. I may sell some stocks during a rally to raise more cash. There has been some ridiculous down moves in many stocks. There is going to be a once in a lifetime (for me anyway) buying opportunity at sometime. The last one was in 1987 for me and I did not have enough free cash in those days to do much. I held my stock positions back then and it worked out well for another 13 years.

I doubt this is going to be a V recovery like 2018-2019 and it will take several months to bottom out.
leoj
AG
gougler08
AG
I was planning to start pulling stuff out this month in prep for the election season, but by the time I was ready, we had already dropped 10-15% and so I left it in and at this point I'm pot committed and not selling out now

I've basically put my free cash back in now for stocks I don't mind holding long, so I'm probably bowing out of this thread for a while as I don't expect a lot of free cash to play with things for a while

Y'all keep kicking ass!
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
ToddyHill
AG
I'm 63 years old. I can't really tell you why, but in late January I had a strange premonition that this corona virus was going to be a big deal. I went 80% cash in my IRA, and I fully cashed out my wife's two IRA's. As the market continued to rise, I made a couple of short term trades. One I killed it, the other I lost money. About 20 days ago I went full cash.

Today has been a huge wake up call for me. I feel badly for those who are getting pummeled. Heck, for all I know my cash may get devalued and I'll be sunk.

These are times none of us have experienced.
Fitch
AG
One of the EVP's in our shop close to retirement pulled out and went all cash Wednesday last week. I'm in early 30's and haven't sold anything in my portfolio. Last couple days have been a painful learning experience.
oldarmy1
AG
Odds are futures swing green hard unless something crazier, like Trump contracts virus.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
You think this is the bottom or just talking about tomorrow?
McInnis 03
AG
Disney only down $2 on news. It was priced in
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
thirdcoast
AG
Then Friday afternoon sell off? Or do shorts cover afraid trading might get halted after a freakshow weekend (if that is even possible?)
Beerosch
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Odds are futures swing green hard unless something crazier, like Trump contracts virus.

That's just for the opening. As more and more of this country shuts down what do you think happens with the market? It seems we are entering uncharted territory
mm98
AG
I'm 43. Not a huge investor in specific stocks but have a few IRAs and my work 401K

It's been hard to just watch it fall but I'm 20+ years from retirement.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
YouBet
AG
Fitch said:

One of the EVP's in our shop close to retirement pulled out and went all cash Wednesday last week. I'm in early 30's and haven't sold anything in my portfolio. Last couple days have been a painful learning experience.
You are early 30's. Your learning experience will be that it was smart not to sell and stay in this.
Trucker 96
YouBet said:

Boat Shoes said:

I'm 46 and actually tried to fully fund both Roth's today ($12k). Haven't pulled anything but I'm sweating it. Function of age. Had a plan to retire at 55 and right now that isn't looking good to say the least. . First world problems on that one.

I've already moved on from that and frankly fretting job security if this goes on much longer.
I'm 46 and targeting 55 as well. We can still play the long game. I think the worst thing is to dump out and then miss a sizeable chunk of the ride back up. Just have to grin and bear it, unfortunately.
oldarmy1
AG
Beerosch said:

oldarmy1 said:

That's just for the opening. As more and more of this country shuts down what do you think happens with the market? It seems we are entering uncharted territory

All I care about is a strong open either direction so my SPY options pay
KaneIsAble
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Disney only down $2 on news. It was priced in

Even the ad losses for the NCAA tournament being canceled. That has to wallop ESPN- right?
Aggie_2463
AG
I'm mid 30s, I don't have any money in stocks besides a small IRA I play.

I have a decent sized 401k for my age, had it in bonds when this all started but tried to catch that falling knife and I'm all back in stock funds at 23,500 Dow

60% of my net worth though is in cash I currently loan hard money on real Estate for 12% plus 2% orig fee, plus rainy day funds
YouBet
AG
FTR, my order finally went through. So, got in about $14 dollars lower than when the market opened, so that's good.
MavsAg
AG
ESPN only has the women's tourney. Probably a revenue bump for them now that it's cancelled.
ProgN
MavsAg said:

ESPN only has the women's tourney. Probably a revenue bump for them now that it's cancelled.

Why would you say that?
Fitch
AG
Still thinking that's right. I was buying on Monday. Wish I had waited!
PneumAg
Prognightmare said:

MavsAg said:

Why would you say that?

Jesus that is hard to watch.
Brewmaster
AG
chrisfield said:

You think this is the bottom or just talking about tomorrow?

Impossible for anyone to know, but this is the sharpest drop in 33 years. So odds are big money is buying soon (and already has). I saw several huge orders today on multiple tickers...and those buying this dip will be rewarded big in time.
moses1084ever
AG
Harkrider 93
AG
Thanks for your perspective and sharing your experience.

I was looking at 2008 and noticed what may Be some hope. The extreme falls came in Oct and Nov, and finished in March (may be off on some of that). However, it finished Dec 09 really near the beginning of Oct. It did take till late 2010 to reach Sept 2009 levels. Thoughts?

PneumAg
YouBet said:

Fitch said:

You are early 30's. Your learning experience will be that it was smart not to sell and stay in this.

I dunno dude. I'm 32. Been in the market since I was 24 and have obviously never seen anything like this. Between 401k, Roth IRA, and TD Ameritrade account, I've lost over $200,000 in the last 7 days. Fortunately I keep quite a bit in cash and also a decent amount in real estate, plus I hit some good shorts yesterday, today, and hopefully tomorrow.....but damn. I don't see how you can say it's good for me to be in right now having only really significantly gotten in during the last 8 years.
Brewmaster
AG
Not my words, but saw this in hidden pivots chat...a guy that I try to follow on trades, brilliantly worded...
He even references mean reversion, aka model T

----------------
Think the 'rancid' news cycle is not over. But markets tend to overdo moves up and down. The current market move was/is exceptional. Are we correct where we where three years ago, or are we where one month ago. I expect somewhere in the middle. No need to think we go to all time highs soon, but mean reversion (middle area) seams reasonable. That is a great set up R/R basis. Just my opinion. I started building yesterday. (early, i know)
khaos288
AG
PneumAg said:

YouBet said:

Fitch said:

I dunno dude. I'm 32. Been in the market since I was 24 and have obviously never seen anything like this. Between 401k, Roth IRA, and TD Ameritrade account, I've lost over $200,000 in the last 7 days. Fortunately I keep quite a bit in cash and also a decent amount in real estate, plus I hit some good shorts yesterday, today, and hopefully tomorrow.....but damn. I don't see how you can say it's good for me to be in right now having only really significantly gotten in during the last 8 years.

Are your losses greater than your all time gains? We were due for a 20% correction regardless of virus, but timing the market is very hard. We're at 1/1 2019 numbers. In 8 years, you've had your first 15 month set back. You kept cash and shorted well it sounded like. The rebound will happen eventually, so just keep hedging.

Time in the market beats timing the market. Keep weathering the storm, and 8 years from now you can laugh at 200,000 loss.
First Page Last Page
Page 1096 of 6414

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.