Business & Investing
Sponsored by

ORIG...a nice, risky oil play

65,970 Views | 398 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Wonderer
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Maybe the professional investment bankers can create a thread and talk about all of their education and experience and we can leave this one to the discussion of ORIG. Crazy idea?

Nevermind thoughts on how to play an oil run up with this stock in particular, all sorts of facts underlyingn the particular stock itself have been offered to you free of charge over the past page of the thread or so by Mays (which you should be grateful for) and you aren't really talking about them. Clear indicator that this isn't about discussion for you but rather a forum to collect props for making a big move.

In that vein props to you!
BigAg_12
AG

quote:
free of charge over the past page of the thread or so by Mays (which you should be grateful for)
When did this thread become a glory hole?
RangerRick9211
AG
You can't post screenshots to Texags and not expect someone to Google your open tab, "Shock's rich people thread..."!

http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/shocks-rich-people-thread-30k-of-orig-purchased-at-4-86-avg.142847/

Here are my favorites from Shock Linwood, aka Brisket Fat Cap:

quote:
Let's limit posters in this thread to two categories:

1.) High net worth - above $200,000 adjusted gross income, this should eliminate all but the top 3% of earners

2.) Jealous *******s

quote:
quote:
For me I need to live the life I currently live plus I want the money to grow so that all the little Shocks will be living the good life as well. $24 million gives me great annual income and the lump sum will swell to $100 million + assuming I live into my 90's which I fully plan on doing. Imagine the look on Shock Jr's face when the lawyer reading my will says "And to you Shock Jr. your dad gifts you $100 million". Thats badass.

quote:
Why would I pay an "expert" to put my money in an index fund when I can beat the DOW?

I didn't get to where I am paying other people to do things I can do better than them.

I work on my cars, I do my own taxes, I garden, I cook, I invest, I torrance, etc.

I don't hire a CPA. I don't use match.com or tinder. I don't go to the movie theater.

I'm a man's man.

And my money is my staff. I invest that money and they become worker bees. And they work for me for the rest of my life as I long as I don't make one mistake...give them away!

quote:
Listen if I paid somebody to do all of this for me I'd probably have to send my kids to a ****ty public school like Kansas State.

Shock Jr. will be privately educated, hopefully at Baylor if all goes as planned.
GEA89
AG
Is there any way we can get this back on the topic? It was a good one and it has turned bad here lately.

I am hopeful everyone can just walk away and get back on topic.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
You can't post screenshots to Texags and not expect someone to Google your open tab, "Shock's rich people thread..."!

http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/shocks-rich-people-thread-30k-of-orig-purchased-at-4-86-avg.142847/

Here are my favorites from Shock Linwood, aka Brisket Fat Cap:

quote:
Let's limit posters in this thread to two categories:

1.) High net worth - above $200,000 adjusted gross income, this should eliminate all but the top 3% of earners

2.) Jealous *******s

quote:
quote:
For me I need to live the life I currently live plus I want the money to grow so that all the little Shocks will be living the good life as well. $24 million gives me great annual income and the lump sum will swell to $100 million + assuming I live into my 90's which I fully plan on doing. Imagine the look on Shock Jr's face when the lawyer reading my will says "And to you Shock Jr. your dad gifts you $100 million". Thats badass.

quote:
Why would I pay an "expert" to put my money in an index fund when I can beat the DOW?

I didn't get to where I am paying other people to do things I can do better than them.

I work on my cars, I do my own taxes, I garden, I cook, I invest, I torrance, etc.

I don't hire a CPA. I don't use match.com or tinder. I don't go to the movie theater.

I'm a man's man.

And my money is my staff. I invest that money and they become worker bees. And they work for me for the rest of my life as I long as I don't make one mistake...give them away!

quote:
Listen if I paid somebody to do all of this for me I'd probably have to send my kids to a ****ty public school like Kansas State.

Shock Jr. will be privately educated, hopefully at Baylor if all goes as planned.

So is this guy just trolling everybody?
MaysAggie2015
Wow. Talk about busted.... ROFL.

FYI ATM is right. People pay good good good money for what has been provided by myself, himself, and many others on here.

My boss at Salient used to say: "Sometimes you watch a pitcher and you know you can hit his fastball, but make good contact with his curve. Now just because he throws a curveball that you know is a strike doesn't mean you swing if you know the SOB throws a fastball in the zone when he gets up in the count."

A nice way of saying It isn't just knowing the trade, but how to execute it.
RangerRick9211
AG

That other forum thinks so:
http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-most-impressive-possesion-of-your-school.101567/page-3

http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/shocks-dilemma.120948/
Crob1386
AG
So he's a sip too
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
So he's a sip too
Aggie or Raider, also.
MaysAggie2015
Why would I short it vs using options? I have no interest in touching the equity or the options or any warrants.

There are plenty of oil spec trades with a lower entry point and a higher risk adjusted upside with hedged support.

Second, I don't even know if you can short this stock (there has to be someone willing to sell the contract) or if it's a hard to borrow.

Either way, your response about what I'm not shorting the stock shows you don't have a sound understanding about the best way to preserve capital when executing a trade strategy.

I'm off this thread. It isn't worth FINRA coming back and saying why did you provide analysis. i thought at the beginning of the thread you were serious.

The longer it goes the more clear it becomes that you are full of it.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
So he's a sip too
That he said he wants his kid to go to Baylor is proof enough this is a troll-- who would actually wish that on their child?
Crob1386
AG
quote:
quote:
So he's a sip too
Aggie or Raider, also.

Mfbarnes back at it again?
Brisket Fat Cap
Nice pick up ranger. You found my TMB troll account. I have one other out there that I challenge you to find.
MaysAggie2015
So many fail gifs are appropriate. I think planking on the oven fail would be perfect. I need to find it.
AG
quote:
Nice pick up ranger. You found my TMB troll account. I have one other out there that I challenge you to find.
this one!

what do i win?
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:
So is this guy just trolling everybody?

On TMB? Trolling all the time.

This thread? Yes and no. You'll have to forgive me, ******s like ATM and Mays deserved to be trolled. Nothing worse in this life than an elitist and I've actually modeled my whole TMB persona based upon people like them. Most of the rest of this thread is non-troll though. Otherwise it would have to be the most expensive troll in recent memory sans Trump's presidential campaign.
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:
Wow. Talk about busted.... ROFL.

Busted? You assume I have something to hide with my TMB troll account? Doubtful.

I'm actually pretty proud of that account and particularly the rich people thread. I've done some of my best work there.

If you get some free time google 'topssuite teaches cajun cooking'. That is my best one.

quote:
FYI ATM is right. People pay good good good money for what has been provided by myself, himself, and many others on here.

If you were wondering, this is why I trolled the both of you.
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:

Second, I don't even know if you can short this stock (there has to be someone willing to sell the contract) or if it's a hard to borrow.

You can. Short float was actually up 3.2% in the last week.

Let me know if you need a financial professional and I will walk you through the steps.

quote:
I'm off this thread
Riiiiight. ATM, help me out, where have we heard this line before?
jh0400
AG
Skran Defense
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:
That other forum thinks so:
http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-most-impressive-possesion-of-your-school.101567/page-3

Ranger, you found the blue bell thread "shocks dilemma", that was fun.

Here is my cajun cooking thread that I enjoyed:
Brisket Fat Cap
Sorry, last one.

In this thread I posited that the Olympian with no legs (Pistorius) had an unfair advantage in the sprints b/c he had no legs: http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/does-the-track-sprinter-with-no-legs-blade-runner-have-an-unfair-advantage.113701/

Had a good time in that thread.
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:
quote:
quote:Nice pick up ranger. You found my TMB troll account. I have one other out there that I challenge you to find.
this one!

what do i win?

Nope.

Again most of this thread is troll-free with the exception of my responses to ATM, Mays, etc.

They bit hard too.
MaysAggie2015
quote:
quote:

You can. Short float was actually up 3.2% in the last week.

Let me know if you need a financial professional and I will walk you through the steps.

quote:
I'm off this thread
Riiiiight. ATM, help me out, where have we heard this line before?

Do you even know what the short float represents? I just checked on Bloomberg, and its a hard to borrow with an average carry across the largest 15 firms of 7.5%.

I guess that is the difference between people in the business and people that want to be in the business.

Keep copy and pasting your gains. We are all SO impressed.

If you feel like working for the IB with more clout than anyone on the street, let me know. Id love to fly you up here and watch you squirm.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
If I can get my next $10k in before August my dividend payout will cancel out my losses to date I've incurred purchasing the stock. That's a nice safety net...assuming it stays in place.

That wasn't in response to either of us. The troll defense is bull**** here... You got pantsed with your lack of knowledge then got your feelings hurt when you were called out for your bad play and lack of knowledge.

Either way, congrats on winning an Internet battle nobody was really ever having with you... IRL I hope you heed some of the equity-based stuff that was thrown out here so you don't lose your real money. Contrary to your belief, nobody wants you to lose your ass on this one just suggesting there are ways to do it safer and cheaper.
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:

That wasn't in response to either of us. The troll defense is bull**** here... You got pantsed with your lack of knowledge then got your feelings hurt when you were called out for your bad play and lack of knowledge.

Either way, congrats on winning an Internet battle nobody was really ever having with you... IRL I hope you heed some of the equity-based stuff that was thrown out here so you don't lose your real money. Contrary to your belief, nobody wants you to lose your ass on this one just suggesting there are ways to do it safer and cheaper.

ATM look at the links Ranger posted. Especially look over the first one he post "Shock's Rich People" thread. Jump to p.2 I believe and you will see many of the same posts over there that are on this thread. If you don't think that is a troll thread (and it was all posted over there before I got "busted" over here) and I frequently troll...then you aren't paying attention.

Again, not all of this thread is a troll, actually very little of it is. But the responses to yourself and Mays certainly are.
ATM9000
AG
Your other thread is a clear troll. What's happened here is you were dead serious, then got your feelings hurt for your play being called sort of silly, then called out for not being fully informed, more hurt feelings. Troll thread was then called to attention. To save face and avoid having to swallow pride and preserve the internet win-loss record that you keep in your head, you are declaring this a troll in a crawfishing attempt and praying this all goes away. I know this because you haven't really trolled much at all today just played defense and cried about people leaving your topic alone after being presented with info that harshly goes against you original thoughts. Trolls don't do that. Guys with hurt feelings do.
Brisket Fat Cap
I didn't declare I was a troll until Ranger outed me as one.

aggie_wes
AG
Skran! Defense all the way.
BPCAg05
AG
Why do you troll people on the Internet? My investment advice would be to invest in a therapist. If you have such an important job and have lots of disposable income, why spend your time trolling people?
ATM9000
AG
You are still on hear asking people to leave your thread if Ranger didn't find what he found. You have an easy out now by declaring what you've been doing is a troll and the fact that you've gone on for a bit letting everyone know 'yeah! I was trolling!' sort of shows your internet insecurities and outs you as not a troll.
claym711
AG
Mays, you've done yourself a large disservice here. You migh know something but you come off as extremely insecure.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
quote:
Mays, you've done yourself a large disservice here. You migh know something but you come off as extremely insecure.

Really skeptical as to how much Mays actually knows. He (they) love to play expert on stuff. Get a high level understanding enough to get down the basic syntax of a particular field then talk down to people like he's (they're) omniscient and hide behind a barrage of big words.

I pantsed him (them) on that diamond buying thread a month or so back where he (they) literally just threw together a bunch of diamond terms that, in context, made zero sense. I don't know one thing about big boy investing so I'm not going to even attempt to call him (them) on this thread, but the MO is awfully similar.

Which leads me to my main point. What kind of psychopath(s) get off trolling the B&I board? Guess the same thing could be said for OP though in that regard.
BrisketTaco10
AG
quote:
I find his post annoying. Or as Mays might say...I find his parlance irritating
SquirrellyDan
AG
This thread has been very entertaining. I went from (supposedly) learning something from the arguments between Mays and Brisket, to questioning what was going on, to spending time reading Brisket's troll jobs on other forums.

However, is not the troll's greatest trick to prove the world he doesn't exist? Brisket seems to be failing in this aspect.

That being said, the bit about the internet trucker trying to tell him how to store ice cream had me rolling.
MaysAggie2015
This thread is a good example of why smart money and institutions run the market. A thread that was useful if you read through it and understood the concepts turned into a poor me party when the fat got trimmed.

I don't know how this became about ATM and I, nor do I care.

I'm not insecure, but is is frustrating when I take my morning break to look at a POS equity, run the numbers, provide the numbers, and the get called out. I won't be doing that anymore.....

I didn't say it was a good or bad trade. In fact I said the options route made sense. All I did was show the correlations and second derivatives weren't nearly as powerful as claimed, and the support fell apart completely with multiple variables showing a serious lack in the robustness of the original factor.

I looked at the original CAPEX and depreciation compared to their historical compared to their expected (announced revised) to figure out if the delay in CAPEX was because they couldn't plug the hole or if it was because they could actually delay the project penalty free and thus have the project serve as an option which would dramatically change the way it was valued.

I was trying to help, but then I guess trolls don't want help.

If he used the crystal ball package I gave away this Spring, he would have seen what I was talking about regarding the lack of underlying fundamentals matching the technicals.

If you know the people on this thread, you'd know I'm not talking out of my ass or throwing out large words. Luckily, finance doesn't work in such a fashion. Brisket Fat tried that route, and it showed after about a page.

The ironic part about looking at his trades is that he had has given himself nearly unlimited downside chasing upside potential. ANYONE in the business would see his strategy and scratch their head. You never go naked on a spec trade. IF you decide to trade it, you would go the options route, probably put on an out of the money strangle or puts to protect against volatility. IF he were my family member, I'd take risk of the table by entering into some forward contracts or swaps at a rate that covers the carry cost on any margin, then take the laddered interest and use it every quarter to purchase another option chain or options on a similar equity. If not, you really haven't diversified.

Risk moves from ASSETS to equity and debt. Unlever this bad boy and look at the first 3-4 iterations. First, it's why the Sharpe is so low on this bad boy: little to no compensation for appropriate risk on. Second, retrace the historical equity and debt beta's and you see the market is requiring a much steeper opportunity cost to enter the risk on now then even a month ago. No Bueno.

Finally, if you are going to throw insults, please learn about dividends, what they represent, how they are accounted, why the are a return of equity and not a return on equity. Also look at how the dividend payout ratio impacts future growth potential by reducing the retained earnings of a firm.

When you need a dividend to keep people in a stock, you are borrowing to pay it, and you equity beta and debt beta are both rising, you don't by the equity, you buy out of the money options at next to nothing.

I think the guy wanted to come on here and show how flippant he could trade 10k blocks. Good for him. That's a skinny finger trade for most of the people on here that actually gave advice.

Nice call for a 20% unrealized gain. Either take it and count your chips, or hold on and keep pumping your dividends back into the stock. If you ascertain that portfolio theory is correct, and you have no barrier to entry on a commission level, why would you reinvest the dividend? If the company could generate a higher return on the equity, they wouldn't be distributing it to shareholders unless absolutely mandated by law or because it's the only metric from a valuation standpoint that matches the value. The problem with the second line of thinking is that the increase in DPO will increase D1 at the expense of G, resulting in a higher equity beta since everything flows from assets. Thus, your EPS1 compared to EPS0 will not give a proper number because G isn't constant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.