Business & Investing
Sponsored by

ORIG...a nice, risky oil play

65,942 Views | 398 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Wonderer
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Its fine. I enjoy the elitist traders...who clearly don't have the balls to trade.

You were doing fine defending your plan until you had to sink down and be an ass. You're a young adult taking a very risky position in an industry (and company for that matter) that no one can make heads or tails of the future right now. There is a collective of hundreds of years of investing and trading on this forum. I'd take heed to their advice if I were you.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Brisket Fat Cap
LOL

Just got called out by Mays and Colin.

Glad Im on the opposite side of that coin.
Post removed:
by user
MaysAggie2015
quote:
Did Arson change his handle?
I laughed. POTD.
MaysAggie2015
quote:
LOL

Just got called out by Mays and Colin.

Glad Im on the opposite side of that coin.
You got called out by people with real IB experience.

I'd put away the hubris and realize that most people on this thread were trying to help you until you because the all knowing Oz.

I don't wish anyones trades to go south, but I learned along time ago that what someone wants to do with their money is their prerogative. With that said, your strategy and due diligence would be laughed out of the room if you brought them into our office.
ATM9000
AG
Love that the guy who doesn't understand the mechanics of a dividend distribution is calling out others for having no balls.

Props on your big balls. I'll take my bigger brain and continue making my plays outside of Texags and being happy with my returns.

Good luck on this play too... Hope it works out even though I'm 100% confident there are many ways to play an oil run up way better than trading sloppily around a single company with a ton of warts who I'm pretty sure you've not even checked the correlation on vs crude prices and other major market factors yet.
MaysAggie2015
quote:
Love that the guy who doesn't understand the mechanics of a dividend distribution is calling out others for having no balls.

Props on your big balls. I'll take my bigger brain and continue making my plays outside of Texags and being happy with my returns.

Good luck on this play too... Hope it works out even though I'm 100% confident there are many ways to play an oil run up way better than trading sloppily around a single company with a ton of warts who I'm pretty sure you've not even checked the correlation on vs crude prices and other major market factors yet.
The R squared between ORIG and Brent across the last 200 days is hardly as strong as presented. Depending on the moving average time frame 50 vs 200 vs 360, the R2 fluctuates between .12 and .72. If you correlate the daily trade volume and lot size to Brent and then take a derivative of the price of ORIG, almost 40% of the volatility isn't accounted for by changes in oil price. If you add in DRYS as a separate factor, then only 28% of the movement in price can be attributed to changes in Brent and DRYS.

Then again. he knows more then us, so lets just caress his big balls and pat him on the back.
MaysAggie2015
"Hope it works out even though I'm 100% confident there are many ways to play an oil run up way better than trading sloppily around a single company with a ton of warts who I'm pretty sure you've not even checked the correlation on vs crude prices and other major market factors yet."

Shhh! Don't tell him his distributions are already accounted for by a reduction in retained earnings and thus a decrease in SHE equivalent to the fair market value of the underlying equity before adjustment. Its better to let him count it as a return o equity vs a return of equity, completely skew him return, but make it easier to sleep at night because he showed Texags what big balls he has...

Nevermind he fails to realize that a dividend is an equity distribution and accounted for by the market the day the dividend is paid.

Brisket needs to take the 7 or 79. I think he would realize the massive amount of fail in most of his posts once he decided to get into battle mode.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I don't mean to interrupt the entertaining banter, but do you guys have any recommendations for websites or reading material I can reference to get a better grip on oil and gas industry trading? I've mostly been focused on tech and cyber security companies because I work in and understand that sector, but I'm interested in all the speculation about what oil prices will be doing the next few years. Thanks in advance.
MaysAggie2015
quote:
I don't mean to interrupt the entertaining banter, but do you guys have any recommendations for websites or reading material I can reference to get a better grip on oil and gas industry trading? I've mostly been focused on tech and cyber security companies because I work in and understand that sector, but I'm interested in all the speculation about what oil prices will be doing the next few years. Thanks in advance.
What's your email?
ATM9000
AG
My suspicion eye balling it. OP should thank you for this tidbit of due diligence that he neglected to research but he will likely call you a Monday Morning QB and ask for your personal account information for validation before considering it.
MaysAggie2015
Oh yeah, you might want to check the dividend payout ratio. You will see it is SKYROCKETING. Hard to have organic growth when you are pumping a DPR at their level.

If they don't cut the DPR, they can barely cover depreciation maintenance.

I think I know why they keep delaying their CAPEX....if they didn't, they would have a new NWC that is so negative, it would make our national debt clock laugh, and they wouldn't be able to service simple maintenance depreciation to keep the ship at net net float.
MaysAggie2015
quote:
My suspicion eye balling it. OP should thank you for this tidbit of due diligence that he neglected to research but he will likely call you a Monday Morning QB and ask for your personal account information for validation before considering it.
Its easier to sit, learn, and laugh.

Anyone that has been in this industry for awhile has probably been called a lot worse then a Monday Morning QB. The difference between Brisket and most of the IB and other traders on here is his downside exposure. He somehow thinks that an unrealized gain is something to pound his chest over.

Little bit of advice you didn't ask for Brisket.... Until you sell the holding, you haven't made a damn thing.

Why? You can't take your brokerage account to KFC and buy a bucket of fried chicken.
BigAg_12
AG
quote:
Little bit of advice you didn't ask for Brisket.... Until you sell the holding, you haven't made a damn thing.

Why? You can't take your brokerage account to KFC and buy a bucket of fried chicken.
Good one Mays. You sound like ****** bag giving old sage, warhorse advice to someone who you are probably younger than.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Mays is in his late 50s or early 60s if I had to take a guess judging from some tickets he was donating and a picture of a ring on his wife's hand.
T Durden
AG
well, depending on which one you get...
jh0400
AG
quote:
Mays is in his late 50s or early 60s if I had to take a guess judging from some tickets he was donating and a picture of a ring on his wife's hand.

Mays is most likely at least two people posting on the same account.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
quote:

Good one Mays. You sound like ****** bag giving old sage, warhorse advice to someone who you are probably younger than.

******bag or not, he's pantsed this guy's play enough where I know he knows what the hell he's talking about.
tdm89
Question for Mays or other IB's: what degree(s) do yall have? I have a son who is about to start high school and I'm trying to learn about career pathways that he might enjoy as a very math oriented kid. I'm guessing Finance, but I don't know.
AG
quote:
Its fine. I enjoy the elitist traders...who clearly don't have the balls to trade.
If you're so cocky, why don't you up to the big leagues and show us how it's done?
Brisket Fat Cap
Just bought another $10k at 4.60.
BigAg_12
AG

quote:
******bag or not, he's pantsed this guy's play enough where I know he knows what the hell he's talking about.
Very much a novice to trading....but I would guess, jargon aside, for someone in the field it is probably pretty easy to **** on another guy's deal
jh0400
AG
quote:

MaysAggie2015
FINC undergrad.

The key with IB is FINC, ACCT, ECON, etc. Almost all of my first group was one of those three. Then most went on to get MSF MBA etc.
Brisket Fat Cap
Brisket Fat Cap
Maybe the professional investment bankers can create a thread and talk about all of their education and experience and we can leave this one to the discussion of ORIG. Crazy idea?
Brisket Fat Cap
23, which big leagues are you referring to?

I have an important job already that I wouldn't be able to just drop at a moments notice. Are you wanting me to get a 2nd job or replace my current job?
Brisket Fat Cap
quote:

That is deep. You are pro. I'm impressed.
Brisket Fat Cap
So...6,150 shares at a shade under 3 stacks of high society puts me at a $4.86 average. I'm going to sit on this, perhaps load another $10k into my scottrade account and just be ready to pounce if I see another opportunity. Again I'm prepared to throw $100k into this by the end of the year if there is a good opportunity for entry and I can lower my avg. significantly.
T Durden
AG
good luck man.
MaysAggie2015
No one is impressed. Know when to walk away....
MaysAggie2015
im just wondering, did anyone else calculate the Sharpe on this bad boy and cringe like I did? Talk about non-compensation for risk.

Why not buy HK spreads and pray for an acquisition?
MaysAggie2015
Off topic, but I have one extra ticket to the Houston Coaches Night dinner. Free to an Ag. PM Me.
BigAg_12
AG
Mays, either post a screen shot of you shorting this bad boy or stfu. please spare me the jargon about why you won't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.