Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,142,581 Views | 28508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by MetalMan
BlackGoldAg2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
that is going to be a wildly variable answer due to a host of input variables. But if you just want a VERY rough ballpark, i personally would knock $15-20 off of spot price for gross revenue, or $25-30 off for net revenue before tax. this is for back of a napkin level math only.
MAROON
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

that is going to be a wildly variable answer due to a host of input variables. But if you just want a VERY rough ballpark, i personally would knock $15-20 off of spot price for gross revenue, or $25-30 off for net revenue before tax. this is for back of a napkin level math only.
thanks that's what I'm looking for - just trying to understand the size of the entity.
AggieOil
AG
Not all BOE's are made equal either which I'm sure you get.
GarlandAg2012
AG
MAROON said:

question for board. What value would you place on a boe/d when trying to estimate the revenues of a private company?
For instance a company reportes 10k boe/d of production. What value would you assign to that on a daily basis and annual basis? Just looking for a rough ballpark
I think the current mindset is $30k-40k/flowing BOE/d assuming oily shale production. Basing this off a recent analysis of transactions in the Bakken.
ThreeFive
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

MAROON said:

question for board. What value would you place on a boe/d when trying to estimate the revenues of a private company?
For instance a company reportes 10k boe/d of production. What value would you assign to that on a daily basis and annual basis? Just looking for a rough ballpark
I think the current mindset is $30k-40k/flowing BOE/d assuming oily shale production. Basing this off a recent analysis of transactions in the Bakken.
Or ~$3,500 per flowing Mcfed for a gas intensive property.
Waltonloads08
AG
Anyone on here work for Apache Corp? Had question.
Comeby!
AG
The per/flowing is a good estimate assuming you are using net production. Be careful using equivalents, especially if the commodities are balanced.
AggieOil
AG
This is what I was referring to in terms of value differences of a BOE. The BOE's being churned our in Webb County are not nearly as valuable as those in the oil window of the Eagle Ford for example unless you are using a value based BOE calc as opposed to the usual 6:1.
Comeby!
AG
AggieOil said:

This is what I was referring to in terms of value differences of a BOE. The BOE's being churned our in Webb County are not nearly as valuable as those in the oil window of the Eagle Ford for example unless you are using a value based BOE calc as opposed to the usual 6:1.

When i need a ballpark number I'll 3 stream with multiples.
nu awlins ag
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

Houston or Midland?
Waltonloads08
AG
nu awlins ag said:

WaltonLoads08 said:

Houston or Midland?
Houston
Gordo14
GE officially trying to sell their Baker-Hughes stake. Definitely not surprising, but that was fast
Ragoo
AG
What is it like for a young family living in midland?
The Original AG 76
AG
Gordo14 said:

GE officially trying to sell their Baker-Hughes stake. Definitely not surprising, but that was fast

Does this include all of the GE Oil and Gas group like Vetco and Hydril ?
agdaddy04
AG
From what I've heard yes.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Gordo14 said:

Does this include all of the GE Oil and Gas group like Vetco and Hydril ?
So basically, Baker Hughes will become its own entity again, apart from GE, and retain all the GEOG product lines it combined with back in 2017... in the short term. But then BH will have the power to probably sell off some of those product lines as well, in the future.
aggie028
As far as I can tell, it depends on the wife's attitude. If she hates Midland before she arrives and never makes an effort to enjoy it, the family won't last long. If she is open to It, the family may never leave. The short commutes and number of young families in Midland make it a great place for young families in general.

Like any town, there are different groups/types of people. If the wife wants to hang out with the trust fund crowd, she will probably hate it if she isn't accepted by them and she probably won't be. If she is looking for nice people to hang out with, there are too many to count. If she doesn't find them, she didn't try. Finding the right people to hang out with will make or break you in any town IMO.

The biggest negative for a young family is the school situation. There are several decent private schools but my understanding is you don't want to send your kid to public school. (there are a few exceptions I'm sure).
Ragoo
AG
does anyone really "like" Midland?

I assume you live there?

Give me a run down of life outside of work.
Ragoo
AG
GE acquired a company outside of San Antonio called Salof Refrigeration, they announced last week they are closing the facility and operations by the end of the year.
AgShaun00
AG
Ragoo said:

GE acquired a company outside of San Antonio called Salof Refrigeration, they announced last week they are closing the facility and operations by the end of the year.
wow. That was a money making machine before GE bought it. I used to sell to them. Moving the operation?
Ragoo
AG
AgShaun00 said:

Ragoo said:

wow. That was a money making machine before GE bought it. I used to sell to them. Moving the operation?
yeah, George Salof is loaded. My dad sold to them too. I worked there for two summers in High School. I think they are completely closing the doors.

I believe George's non-compete is over and he is starting back up in their old facility.
TheVarian
AG
Ragoo said:

does anyone really "like" Midland?

I assume you live there?

Give me a run down of life outside of work.

You move to Midland for the jobs and most of the folks, not for the scenery. Like others have stated, there is a large gap when it comes to wealth in the city. It isn't the worst place to live and it can be fun, just make sure you are getting out and networking.

It can be a diamond in the rough if you allow it
AgShaun00
AG
Ragoo said:

AgShaun00 said:

Ragoo said:

yeah, George Salof is loaded. My dad sold to them too. I worked there for two summers in High School. I think they are completely closing the doors.

I believe George's non-compete is over and he is starting back up in their old facility.
i hear they got some new government contract for a rocket launcher
Ragoo
AG
maybe for rocket fuel liquification?
Whitetail
AG
Ragoo said:

AgShaun00 said:

Ragoo said:

5141 IH 35 South
New Braunfels, TX 78132
United States

Google search of what is now at the address lists that a company called Sancus Energy (with HQ in Katy) is there now there doing the same type of work.
Ragoo
AG
Whitetail said:

Ragoo said:

AgShaun00 said:

Ragoo said:

5141 IH 35 South
New Braunfels, TX 78132
United States

Google search of what is now at the address lists that a company called Sancus Energy (with HQ in Katy) is there now there doing the same type of work.
sancus has been there a while. I believe they are renting that facility. My dad told me the signs on the building have recently changed.
74OA
AG
I wonder how many of these repatriated billions belong to Big Oil? Could create a huge pool of dollars available for domestic energy investment.
Ragoo
AG
when you say short commutes, suppose your office is in western Odessa (16th and 1936 general area), where would you look to live?
nu awlins ag
AG
You live in Midland or out off of 158/191 going towards Midland past the college. Fauldree I think is the last street on the way out. Either way, the drive out there is nowhere near like in Houston/Dallas.
txaggie_08
AG
Midland really isn't such a bad town. I'm a single male, been here about 5 months, and have really enjoyed it. If you're single you can find women to date through new friends/acquaintances, or through dating apps. The apps are pretty sparse on talent, but there is a little.

Otherwise this town has pretty much everything you need. If you go anywhere at peak times expect to wait. The town is busting at the seams and every restaurant/service industry is looking to hire. You'll see drive-thru lines stretched around restaurants.

Services here can be more expensive than elsewhere due to places having to pay their employees a premium to keep them from leaving for oilfield work. There's definitely a labor shortage. It seems regular unleaded gasoline costs about $.30 more here than in Houston, or even as close by as San Angelo. If I leave town I always try to be sure I fill up my tank before I get back to Midland.
TommyGun
AG
Ragoo said:

What is it like for a young family living in midland?

This thread was helpful for my wife and I when we moved to Midland. It's actually a pretty nice place for a young family.

https://texags.com/forums/40/topics/2832926/1
Ragoo
AG
you still out there? For some reason I thought you were in Houston now.
aggie028
I like Midland a lot for reasons I mentioned above. The convenience of it would be hard to leave - unless of course I could find the same convenience and pay and community somewhere else. Half the time I go to lunch with friends and the other half I go home and see my kids at lunch - in talking to Houston folks, most don't have the option to go home for lunch. My kids won't be young for long and I put a ton of value on this. We have made friends/community that would be very hard to leave. We have to be very intentional about having downtime/family time - there is always someone wanting to do something. So I would say the primary thing we do with the little free time we have is hang out with friends - dinner/swimming/church/tennis/golf/etc
TommyGun
AG
Yeah we're back in the Houston area now. We moved back earlier this year.

We kind of miss Midland and wish we would have had a little more time there. It is nice being closer to family and the gulf, but Midland also has a certain appeal to it. Business was also a little more fun out west and it certainly beats the corporate life in Houston.
aggie028
That wouldn't be ideal IMO
First Page Last Page
Page 467 of 815

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.