Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,144,972 Views | 28508 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by MetalMan
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie028 said:

That wouldn't be ideal IMO
what would not be ideal?
Hoyt Ag
AG
There isn't a force on earth that would make me move to Midland. Glad you like it but that place sucks.
aggie028
barney94
AG
Layoffs at SWN today.
TxAg20
AG
I've lived in Midland, College Station, Gillette, WY and Midland.

My perception of Midland is different since I was raised here and most of my family is here. I've never met anyone who moved to Midland with an open mind and hated it. I've met many who were transferred here from Houston, Denver, and the Metroplex and actually like it much more than expected. I've met a few who were transferred here and decided they hated Midland before they moved here and they continued to hate it until they left.

Growing up in Midland, I thought I would never want to live in Odessa and I still don't. There's actually some decent development on the east side of Odessa on 191. It's still a little different as some of the house have design characteristics that most architects wouldn't allow, but I would look at it if I were going to work in Odessa.
SidetrackAg
AG
$72
Ragoo
AG
we are in the early stages, waiting on an internal offer to be presented and negotiated before accepting, but where should we be focusing our housing search? 32 y/o with 2 kids under 2. my wife would apply to the midland isd for teaching positions.
Goose06
AG
TxAg20 said:

I've lived in Midland, College Station, Gillette, WY and Midland.

My perception of Midland is different since I was raised here and most of my family is here. I've never met anyone who moved to Midland with an open mind and hated it. I've met many who were transferred here from Houston, Denver, and the Metroplex and actually like it much more than expected. I've met a few who were transferred here and decided they hated Midland before they moved here and they continued to hate it until they left.

Growing up in Midland, I thought I would never want to live in Odessa and I still don't. There's actually some decent development on the east side of Odessa on 191. It's still a little different as some of the house have design characteristics that most architects wouldn't allow, but I would look at it if I were going to work in Odessa.
We recently moved 2 people to Midland (new hires). One came from Dallas, the other from Ohio. They both had an open mind and both have really gotten plugged in and like it. The networking opportunities living there are really something you can't get living anywhere else. Our guys meet neighbors, people at church, etc who we end up doing business with. That doesn't happen for me living in The Woodlands.
Cyp0111
I agree with most of that. I've had numerous friends that have moved to OKC and enjoy the smaller city vs Houston. Easier to navigate.
TommyGun
AG
Ragoo said:

we are in the early stages, waiting on an internal offer to be presented and negotiated before accepting, but where should we be focusing our housing search? 32 y/o with 2 kids under 2. my wife would apply to the midland isd for teaching positions.

I'd check out the Grassland Estates area on the west side of Midland. You'll have easy access to 191 or I-20. We lived on the north end of Midland off of 349 and my wife commuted to south Odessa for work everyday. It was typically 35 minutes for her, but wrecks on I-20 could add some time to that.

Also, your wife should be prepared for multiple offers with Midland ISD. My wife still gets calls 6 months after we moved asking about her interest in teaching positions there. She took an Ector ISD position since it was her first offer, but in retrospect she should have held out for Midland.
Comeby!
AG
FTSI also letting folks go.
TxAg20
AG
Ragoo said:

Just about every neighborhood is going to have 30somethings with kids. Grasslands is probably going to be your best commute option to Odessa. Woodland Park is a smaller, newer version of Grasslands, but a little longer commute to Odessa.

I don't think your wife is going to have any trouble finding a teaching job with MISD, but you'll probably want to send your kids to private school when they start Kindergarten unless MISD makes a serious turn for the better. There's lots of transient, blue collar labor here and most of their kids are in MISD schools. Kids can still get a good education in MISD if the parents are involved, but many are not.

I live in old Midland and work downtown, so I don't know what any commute times are for the neighborhoods outside the loop. I really like old Midland (I call it Cuthbert to Golf Course, A st. to Garfield) but you're going to pay up for that neighborhood compared to the newer neighborhoods. Another great, more established (read expensive) neighborhood is what I call Warwick (Golf Course to Neely, Garfield to I St.) There aren't any really bad neighborhoods north of the tracks and west of Big Spring Street though. These neighborhoods seem to hold their price or appreciate even in the bust cycles.

No idea what your price range is but I'd look at:

Old Midland
Warwick
Solomon Estates (1+ acre lots, $$$)
Woodland Park
Grasslands
Rock Point
Great House area
Los Patios area

The housing market is absolutely crazy here. Find a good Realtor. Seller typically pays all commissions in Midland. I've used Craig Aldredge and he's good for Old Midland and Warwick which are usually off market listings. I haven't used her, but DeLaura Gammage is supposedly good for the remainder of Midland. If you're looking for sub-$500K houses, I've heard they're under contract in less than a day if they're priced fairly. If you see a house you kind of like, be ready to make a full price offer.
Ragoo
AG
good information, thanks!
txaggie_08
AG
Yep, be sure to move fast on any house you potentially like. I was lucky enough to get an offer on a house accepted my first week here, but I was the second offer on the house and had to go over asking. House was on market for less than 24 hours.

It's gotten worse since February, so good luck!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Heard it was some close to retirement folks and a lot of younger/rotational engineers at SWN. Surpised to hear they chose to cut rotational engineers, that sort of program is usually viewed as an investment in the company's future I thought.
Ragoo
AG
What are property taxes like there? I imagine much less than the 3.7+% we pay in Houston.
BMach
AG
ProFrac probably putting the hurt on them
aggie028
Closer to half I believe
AgLA06
AG
Ragoo said:

I imagine much less than the 3.7+% we pay in Houston.

Most actual Houston is 2.56 or 2.65 I forget which.
Ragoo
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ragoo said:

depends. Mine is much closer to 3. Newer developments like Towne Lake are in the 3.7 range.
terradactylexpress
Ragoo said:

AgLA06 said:

Ragoo said:

depends. Mine is much closer to 3. Newer developments like Towne Lake are in the 3.7 range.

Not Houston
Ragoo
AG
Towne lake agree, but I am in Houston. The is a big difference in monthly cash flow in a 3% tax rate and 1.8%.

Anyways this is a terrible tangent.
aduey06
It's the MUD districts. Add about 1% of you are in one.
TxAg20
AG
All in, 1.944352% for my neighborhood. Also, the appraisal district values my house for about 1/3rd of what it cost to build. The appraisal district valued my first house, which was in a new neighborhood, for exactly what I bought it for. When I sold it 5 years later, the appraisal district valued it within $2,000 of what it sold for. For some reason, taxes are worse in newer neighborhoods because the appraisal district values the houses much closer to market price.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

Also, the appraisal district values my house for about 1/3rd of what it cost to build.

Good 'problem' to have...

Boat Shoes
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Quote:

Also, the appraisal district values my house for about 1/3rd of what it cost to build.

That or his builder really stuck it to him! Jk.
TxAg20
AG
Boat Shoes said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Quote:

That or his builder really stuck it to him! Jk.

Probably a little bit of both.
WishIWasTheWeather
AG
Comeby! said:

Technical question:
Do any of you use Tableau or Spotfire for production monitoring or other operations analytics? If so, which one and are you using and for what? Are you using a custom front end (project) or something off the shelf?
Hey Comeby, if you are still looking for some production monitoring assistance (via a dashboard or software), I would be glad to help you out. Send me an email at username at yahoo.com
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
now here is a pretty looking plot for your Friday lunch:

high point today of $74.42 which is the highest WTI futures have hit since 11/26/2014.

also, in light of this history i was looking through the early pages of this thread and came across this post and i sure hope he didn't follow through on it:

nu awlins ag
AG
Crazy to think just months ago, still ample supply, demand was deemed "steady/flat" and look at today. Most of this on the heels of Iran. I expect SA and Russia to pick up the slack. I just hope it doesn't climb to "triple" digits like a few analyst are saying.
Cyp0111
There are some very serious issues in EM with the fuel stipends being rolled back in the last few years.
Javelina
AG
Do any of you folks in Midland know a company or contractor that can build out a lab for me?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Javelina said:

Do any of you folks in Midland know a company or contractor that can build out a lab for me?

Trucker meth? I know a guy...
Javelina
AG
Nothing that fun.
Boat Shoes
AG
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Just spoke to King Salman of Saudi Arabia and explained to him that, because of the turmoil & disfunction in Iran and Venezuela, I am asking that Saudi Arabia increase oil production, maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels, to make up the difference...Prices to high! He has agreed!
6:37 AM - Jun 30, 2018
First Page Last Page
Page 468 of 815

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.