Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

449,188 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bagger05 said:

62strat said:

Kansas Kid said:

aggiesundevil4 said:

Agree Cade, FIRE is the path of lazy nihilists that don't care about having the money for great life experiences, world travel, and passing something valuable onto children and grandchildren. I know I'd rather live well than live cheap just to avoid having a job in my 50s, and some people love the FIRE concept but it's not for me.
I agree with you. The other issue I have with FIRE is what are you going to do with your time if you are retired at 35-45? I bet there will be a study that shows those that do either die early or go back to work after a few years.

If only we had a huge group of people that all retire before 40.

Cough athletes cough.

Would be interesting to look at the data.

Even a lot of those who have enough money to hang it up get into coaching, charity, media, or start businesses.

So… something that's enjoyable.
People know what to do with their time. They don't just wither away and die.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Agree Cade, FIRE is the path of lazy nihilists that don't care about having the money for great life experiences, world travel, and passing something valuable onto children and grandchildren. I know I'd rather live well than live cheap just to avoid having a job in my 50s, and some people love the FIRE concept but it's not for me.

Tell that to people who've retired early and are enjoying world travel and having great life experiences.
Kansas Kid
62strat said:

Kansas Kid said:

aggiesundevil4 said:

I agree with you. The other issue I have with FIRE is what are you going to do with your time if you are retired at 35-45? I bet there will be a study that shows those that do either die early or go back to work after a few years.

If only we had a huge group of people that all retire before 40.

Cough athletes cough.

And most of them still work. Dat Nguyen is running a Chick-Fil-a as an example.
bjork
aggiesundevil4 said:

Phew, that's a straw-man worthy the Politics board.

FIRE is 25-30x expenses. Your expenses can ramen or Bordeaux, it doesn't change the math.
LMCane
Brian Earl Spilner said:

aggiesundevil4 said:

Tell that to people who've retired early and are enjoying world travel and having great life experiences.
yeah I can't understand that counter argument

the entire POINT of FIRE is to be able to live the life you want when you are still young enough to enjoy it and make use of it.

what's the point of saving until you are 67 to then travel the world- and your knees and hip have to be replaced?

would much rather live throughout Europe at age 55 and then have less money at age 75.
62strat
AG
LMCane said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

aggiesundevil4 said:

what's the point of saving until you are 67 to then travel the world- and your knees and hip have to be replaced?

lol.. my mom and nearly all my dad's siblings had the knees replaced in late 50s!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.