Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

457,418 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 62strat
Comeby!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ditto. And it worries me to no end that our kids are being raised in a bubble. I liken their upbringing to a lion in a zoo, vs ours out in the wild...scrapping away. I do create "artificial famines" and say 'no' quite a bit.
diehard03
I don't think you can do anything about it. The thing you are protecting them from is the thing that creates what you're looking for.

There is no "grinder" without the possibility of being the one who doesn't make it.
FrioAg 00
AG
I do agree with that.

I try to replace the motivations I had with new motivations - and frankly just a super disciplined practice of setting high goals for themselves and measuring their activity daily as to whether they are being productive against those goals. We reflect together across their goals fairly frequently. I've started having them write down their own goals.

Biggest enemy will be complacency
diehard03
Quote:

Biggest enemy will be complacency

That or the idea that their self worth will be completely connected to their achievements and that they aren't good enough without a certain amount of progress or lofty goal.
FrioAg 00
AG
Easy tiger, we're on an anonymous website just swapping ideas in posts averaging less than 50 words - it's not a comprehensive parenting perspective and it wasn't represented as such.

No one said their self worth was being tied strictly to achievement. What I said was it's difficult to recreate or replace the motivation that came from being born of low circumstance and driving/grinding towards changing that.
diehard03
There's no reason to be defensive, champ. It wasnt a treatise on your parenting style.

Like you said, were just anonymous people swapping ideas in less than 50 words.
Cyp0111
I think you started this, no?
diehard03
Quote:

I think you started this, no?

Started what? We were in agreement 2 posts ago.

We can let the thread go back on track.
FrioAg 00
AG
Zero worries - probably just a misread on the intent of one comment. We're all good here Ags
Pacifico
AG

Mustang1
AG
Bump for the end of Q1-2019. Quite a rise from December.
sockerton
Ray Guy
AG
Yeah. Amazing advice. LOL
62strat
AG
My fidelity account is finally back up to where it was before the little crash last October.
2012Ag
AG
How are y'all doing? I'm sure many are now out of the millionaire club.

Any advice on investment strategies from those who made through the 2008 storm?
Rice and Fries
2012Ag said:

REITs and high yield dividend stocks
YouBet
AG
2012Ag said:

Stay the course if you have a long time horizon. Although some have adjusted even their most aggressive risk categories with long horizons to have less in equities. For example, Goldman Sachs recalibrated their risk categories this way last year before any of this ever happened.

This also assumes we don't move hard left during this event. Someone is going to have to pay for all this printed money and handouts and it will be the demographic on this board that ultimately pays for it.

On second thought, you need to find out where to move that you can be an expat and live like a king on less money. Lol.
Ragoo
AG
2012Ag said:

i actually crossed over the $1MM net worth earlier this year. That was short lived.
Premium
AG
1. Heard Houston is going to have some fire sales in real estate. If that's not low enough for you, 2. Wuhan has to have some nice bargains about now
aTm_bomb
AG
Premium said:

1. Heard Houston is going to have some fire sales in real estate. If that's not low enough for you, 2. Wuhan has to have some nice bargains about now

Wuhan is full... Silk road goes both ways.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
2012Ag said:

Yeah, never buy on the way down that's a fundamental mistake. You should wait for the bottom, better yet just wait for the clear bottom.
FrontPorchAg
Rice and Fries said:

2012Ag said:

REITs and high yield dividend stocks
Between the two look for the blue-chip dividend stocks first.
Some REIT's will die in this environment. - they make their income through either fixed income rents, variable income rents (rent + % of tenants gross sales). They usually carry heavy debt as they kick back most of the quarterly profits to dividends. I would be very wary of PFCT and DRI. I personally own O, but I'm making no promises on that until I see they're next quarterly.

You might look at LAND. It's a REIT that deals with Farm and Ranches. Pretty stable in the current market, and it down 25% off in the last month and pays a 4.7% dividend.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'd say that some have reached that level of a million in net worth without two spouses working. My wife is a stay-at-home mother and has been since our first child.

I'd say, the secret to accomplishing this is living way beneath your means and cutting every fixed expense that is not necessary. Bring your lunch to work, etc. Yes, you have to enjoy life, but enjoying life does not have to involve a lot of money.

Max out the 401k limits, max out the HSA and back door Roths, etc.

Or so I've heard...
drill4oil78
AG
Grown Pear
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

2012Ag said:

Yeah, never buy on the way down that's a fundamental mistake. You should wait for the bottom, better yet just wait for the clear bottom.

Also, never stay invested at the clear top. Always sell at the clear peak and wait for the obvious bottom before buying again.
Grown Pear
AG
I'm reading JL Collins The Simple Path to Wealth right now which was recommended on this forum. It's pretty good. One passage resonated with me in the time we're in...

"Everybody makes money when the market is rising. But what determines whether it will make you wealthy or leave you bleeding on the side of the road is what you do during the times it is collapsing."

Are you trying to make money OR build wealth?

Keep buying equities during this time. In your taxable account, 401k, IRA all of them. You'll be a millionaire in the future.
DRE06
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

2012Ag said:

Spotting clear bottom. Lol.
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo said:

2012Ag said:

i actually crossed over the $1MM net worth earlier this year. That was short lived.

The great Jim Rohn always said if you inherit a million dollars you best become a millionaire or you'll lose it.

The best advice is sit on the sidelines if you aren't confident in skills to capitalize. I hedge nearly every trade during these periods. I make smaller gains but any trades against me have even smaller losses. That or straddles when volatility is in full cycle.
YouBet
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

2012Ag said:

The great Jim Rohn always said if you inherit a million dollars you best become a millionaire or you'll lose it.

The best advice is sit on the sidelines if you aren't confident in skills to capitalize. I hedge nearly every trade during these periods. I make smaller gains but any trades against me have even smaller losses. That or straddles when volatility is in full cycle.
Using 2008 as our most recent example you could have also simply continued with dollar cost averaging and never even worry about it. Fire and forget. That's what we did and that time period catapulted us to the next level coming out of it.

This current event is unprecedented though. If we are lucky, it will look like every other cycle in history, but if the government doesn't get out of the way of this one they will stunt it at best and potentially put us in a semi-permanent state of malaise like Japan has been in...at worst. Or worst, worst send us straight to leftward hell.
Ragoo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

2012Ag said:

most of my NW is in retirement (401k, Roth, brokerage with family wealth planner). The drop is strictly market driven and not my own trading.
oldarmy1
GigEm81
AG
2012Ag said:

The three most important words are, in my opinion, Stay Fully Invested.

Through every downcycle there were plenty of people, even otherwise smart people, who sold at or near
the bottom and missed the rallies during recoveries.

Still very much in the club, now retired. Balanced portfolio.
GigEm81
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

2012Ag said:

Respectfully, if there was truly a way to identify the bottom in advance, this thread would be unneeded.

In my view, money is made in bad markets, when others are motivated by fear. As Buffet says, "Be greedy when others are fearful".

I buy when I must hold my nose to do so. It has worked well.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
It was sarcasm from other threads. I've been buying on the way down from Dow 27,000 and was told I was making fundamental mistakes and I should wait for the bottom. Then another chimed in with wait for the clear bottom.
I know you don't know the bottom has occurred until it's already behind you.
DRE06

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.