***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,129,915 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time to nut up or shut up
Mr President Elect
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Brantley is far from 100%. It's a miracle he's even been able to contribute at all and he's giving it everything he has.
How about Dubon, is he hurt too? No matter how you slice it, playing Maldy takes a formidable bat out of the lineup.
texasaggie2015
AG
Just trying to be reasonable... Mike is giving it everything he has but he's hurting. I haven't been told this point blank but it sure sounds like he willed his way back because we needed him.
Texaggie7nine
Just finished buying tix on the season ticket holder presale. The best avail was starting at like row 10 of all the 400 nosebleed sections.
7nine
CFTXAG10
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Just finished buying tix on the season ticket holder presale. The best avail was starting at like row 10 of all the 400 nosebleed sections.

Yea, pretty big difference from ALDS presale. Probably holding for STH sales promos
spadilly
S
Random question - if you're a STH, you're not guaranteed your specific season seat location for the playoffs, correct?

Just the opportunity to purchase what seats are available after MLB, each team, and sponsors all get theirs?
Mr.Bond
AG
spadilly said:

Random question - if you're a STH, you're not guaranteed your specific season seat location for the playoffs, correct?

Just the opportunity to purchase what seats are available after MLB, each team, and sponsors all get theirs?

No I believe you have rights to your seats plus you get to buy additional seats before anybody else. But I could be wrong
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

The Porkchop Express
RIP Ken Caminiti
October 10, 2004

One of the best debuts of all time.

Destroying Braves' catcher Greg Olson at the plate in 1992. This is the one of the best "butterfly effect" moments in MLB history. Olson was KO'ed for the season, so the Braves brought up Francisco Cabrera to replace him. Cabrera played just 12 regular season games, but sent the Braves to the World Series with a 2-out, 2-run single in the bottom of the 9th vs. the Pirates in Game 7 of the NLCS. He only had 2 at-bats in the whole series.

Doing more damage in Atlanta, running into a security guard on a foul ball.

The fourth-greatest regular-season moment in Astros history, Caminiti punking Mike Sciosia in a rundown.

His 3 daughters throwing out the first pitch in San Diego in 2016.

Making Sciosia his ***** again.

Inside the park homer in our lost, fantastic '94 season. Vintage Sid Bream running the bases like a brontosaurus in this one.

agdaddy04
AG
spadilly said:

You're guaranteed them if you purchased the package before end of season. You had to commit to all potential games.
Texaggie7nine
agdaddy04 said:

spadilly said:

You're guaranteed them if you purchased the package before end of season. You had to commit to all potential games.
Yep, they want that $ up front, but it can go back into future season tix purchases for games that don't happen.
7nine
spadilly
S
thanks
Sher Thing
AG
Every interview I've seen with Brantley since his return he's commented that he has "a lot more left in the tank". Sure doesn't sound like a guy who's just playing because we begged him to.
texasaggie2015
AG
Sher Thing said:

Every interview I've seen with Brantley since his return he's commented that he has "a lot more left in the tank". Sure doesn't sound like a guy who's just playing because we begged him to.
What is he supposed to say? It's gamesmanship. We also didn't beg him to play.
Wabs
AG
wangus12 said:

This. The time is now. Play like road warrior World Champions today. Gotta have it.
Prosperdick
AG
Wabs said:

wangus12 said:

This. The time is now. Play like road warrior World Champions today. Gotta have it.
Still holding out hope that a last minute change is made to the lineup. If not either way we need to kick ass because we have a tall order with Sonny on the bump. GO ASTROS!!!!
Farmer1906
AG
FrioAg 00
AG
Marvin said:

Sonny Gray has surrendered one run in his last 26 innings, with 29 Ks and 4 BBs. In 193 at bats with runners in scoring position this season, Gray has allowed 2 doubles and no homers to go with a .194 batting average against. He gave up 8 homers all year. Teams hit .209 the third time through the lineup, and only .200 after his 75th pitch... so you won't outlast him. In other words, the chances of the Astros getting shut out and pushed to the brink of elimination is very high.

TLDR- I expect a double-digit win.

Yet in spite of all of that, Vegas has them favored extremely slightly (lower than the typical home field advantage).

Our boys have done better against the aces than they have against obscure young pitchers.

We'll find out soon enough.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

LFG, GLF
The Porkchop Express
We win today 6-2.

They score first, then we boat race them.

htxag09
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

We win today 6-2.

They score first, then we boat race them.

Gonna be hard for them to score first when Tuve opens the game with a bomb....
linkdude
AG
AggieJ2002
AG
Feel like the key to the game is going to be putting up good ABs against Gray in the first 3-4 innings, regardless of whether we score or not. We cannot allow him to get into the 6th inning having only thrown 60-65 pitches like we did with Lopez the other night.
Farmer1906
AG
Minnesota has 6 guys who will be batting left-handed vs Javier. For Javier's career, LHH's OPS is about 0.165 points higher than RHH. That's significant. That is the difference between Dubon & Tucker this year. If there was a day for an opener, today is that day since Julien, Polanco, & Kepler are at the top of the lineup.

aggie813
I hope you're right, but we're gonna need Breggy and Ted to bring their A game today and have Altuve and Yordan keep doing what their doing.
texasaggie2015
AG
Lineup should be posted here in just a little bit
Farmer1906
AG
Minnesote is running out their hitting lineup, not their defensive one today.

Fielding Run Value
Polanco -4
Kepler +5
Lewis +1 (but injured)
Correa -1
Kirilloff -6
Wallner -3
Castro +3 (-1 OAA in CF, he's a better INF)
Jeffers -8
rak1693
AG
Against Lance Lynn in 2021, we did have 6 hits and 5 runs in in 3.2 IP. He finished third in Cy Young voting that year.

We're going to get this guy too!
linkdude
AG
I'm guessing Taylor will be their defensive replacement in CF. Lewis at third is very interesting, not sure if Gray is a GB or FB guy.
Farmer1906
AG
rak1693 said:

Against Lance Lynn in 2021, we did have 6 hits and 5 runs in in 3.2 IP. He finished third in Cy Young voting that year.

We're going to get this guy too!
Similar in 2017

We wrecked Cy Young runner up Chris Sale. 7 ER & 3 HR in 5 innings of work.
tjack16
AG
We win today 4-3 in a high stress game.

Tucker goes yard and Abreu comes through with an RBI
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Minnesota has 6 guys who will be batting left-handed vs Javier. For Javier's career, LHH's OPS is about 0.165 points higher than RHH. That's significant. That is the difference between Dubon & Tucker this year. If there was a day for an opener, today is that day since Julien, Polanco, & Kepler are at the top of the lineup.

Since we dont have a left reliever thats problematic. I'm not looking but I recall Phil has a reverse split (or did). I have no clue about the others.
agdaddy04
AG
CC has a negative defensive value this year??
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

I'm guessing Taylor will be their defensive replacement in CF. Lewis at third is very interesting, not sure if Gray is a GB or FB guy.
14th in GB% (min 150 IP, 58 total)
50th in FB%
9th in LD% (9th worst in this case)
--
36th Hard Hit%
32nd in Exit Velo
49th in Barrel%
--
28th in K%
23rd in BB%
28th in K-BB%

Mostly a flyball pitcher who doesn't get hit hard and doesn't get barreled up. Not special striking guys out, but not giving up a ton of free passes either.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Since we dont have a left reliever thats problematic. I'm not looking but I recall Phil has a reverse split (or did). I have no clue about the others.
I think he has in the past, but not so much this year. (going from memory here)
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

We win today 4-3 in a high stress game.

Tucker goes yard and Abreu comes through with an RBI

Last year at this time Mrs. Marvin and I sat through 18 innings in Seattle, being physically threatened and verbally abused. Haha, I hope this afternoon is not the same level of stress!
First Page Last Page
Page 2743 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.