***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,505,116 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

So Dusty's managing this way out of spite.
I've been saying this for weeks. It's obvious to anyone with a brain.

I can get with making decisions out of spite. But those on here saying he's losing intentionally are ridiculous
Who is actually making that assertion? He's a spiteful idiot but at the end of the day he still wants to win to "prove everyone wrong." Sometimes he makes good decisions like arguing for Yuli on the playoff roster last year and leaving JV in the game in the World Series to battle out of it and get the W.

This year he's got a ring and believes he's infallible so anyone telling him things like "play Diaz more" he immediately takes the opposite position like a Monty Python sketch. If the FO was smart they should advise Dusty "play Maldy every game and you better sit Chas every chance you get." I doubt he would catch on to it.

There are multiple folks saying he is actively trying to lose
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Motion kinematics is video and a computer looking for small and identifiable differences in motions or what you hope are repeatable motions. Computer video analysis makes this stuff easy and it can be done in real time. Smart nerds can do this. Baltimore has smart nerds. They stole them from us.

You would hope we do this to ourselves as much as to other teams.
This
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

I can get with making decisions out of spite. But those on here saying he's losing intentionally are ridiculous
Who is actually making that assertion? He's a spiteful idiot but at the end of the day he still wants to win to "prove everyone wrong." Sometimes he makes good decisions like arguing for Yuli on the playoff roster last year and leaving JV in the game in the World Series to battle out of it and get the W.

This year he's got a ring and believes he's infallible so anyone telling him things like "play Diaz more" he immediately takes the opposite position like a Monty Python sketch. If the FO was smart they should advise Dusty "play Maldy every game and you better sit Chas every chance you get." I doubt he would catch on to it.

I don't think he is.

Hanlon's razor. Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

I don't think he is.

Hanlon's razor. Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
im not saying it's you or Austin or Prosper. But there are multiple posters who come on here and only complain about dusty causing everything and openly claim he is losing intentionally.
Prosperdick
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

OK multiple folks, please come out and state why you think Donkey is trying to lose? If you think he's that spiteful to sabotage his own team and legacy I want you to own that ridiculous take.
Beau Holder
AG
His legacy is already that he's arrogant, stubborn, manages a stupid brand of baseball and, given any amount of meaningful time, inevitably ruins every good roster he's given. What's there to sabotage?
TarponChaser
Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

OK multiple folks, please come out and state why you think Donkey is trying to lose? If you think he's that spiteful to sabotage his own team and legacy I want you to own that ridiculous take.
Who has said Dusty is actively trying to lose? I haven't seen it.

What I have seen is people repeatedly saying that Dusty is so stubborn and spiteful he refuses to see what's in front of his toothpick and insists he knows best and damn everybody else and it's been highly detrimental to the team. I'd wager it's cost us 10 games this year at least.
Beau Holder
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

can someone please post the pic of dusty with the massive big brain

Boiling Denim
There's been multiple posts with blue stars insinuating Dusty is gambling on games and trying to lose.

I don't give a crap either way. Even the worst Astros lineup should be able to beat the As and Royals more than 2 out of 6 times and avoid a sweep against the worst Yankees team in decades
texasaggie2015
AG
If you're talking about my post yesterday, I was obviously joking. I really hope you know that.
Mathguy64
AG
He's not trying to lose. He's just so set in his ways that he cannot or adapt to change in any meaningful way, especially over a short term.

He is convinced the best thing to do when JV pitches is play Maldy behind the plate and play Dubon in CF. And because he has managed more than 4000 games he believes he can tell what is right in spite of overwhelming evidence. Same for the LRLR deal. He believes that is best in spite of evidence to the contrary. He played with Mays and Aaron so he knows what makes a good player and Chas isnt like Mays or Aaron. So Chas cant play. Abreu is a old school vet and old school vets are always taken care of. Its just a long list of "I know best because "I have been around for 55 years".

He's to old to learn new tricks and too old to listen when hes wrong.

Its a bad combination and hes got 11 more games of it.
JDUB08AG
AG
Its a friggin miracle we won the WS last year. What a team that was.
Ag_07
AG
Dusty is so incompetent that he actually thinks that at the end of the season his idiotic moves will result in more games won.

That's all fine and dandy when it's April/May/June/July but late in the season when it's coming down to the wire it's not gonna fly.

The old cliche of 'Every game is just another game' doesn't really fit anymore and there needs to be sense of urgency.
Prosperdick
AG
It's just amazing to me we've got a guy with 22 homers that plays like 33% of the time (or less). He would theoretically be hitting 30+ home runs for us if he played every day. The fact that he's hit that many playing as few games as he does is even more impressive.

I still remember when he and his wife met Dusty before the game a few months ago and she told Dusty "play him more!" and he just patted her on the head. I bet Yainer gets an earful every night from her about it and I don't blame her one bit.

I can't imagine making it to the show, playing out of your mind, hitting bombs left and right and riding the pine...the frustration has to be killing him to see the lineup card every day.
RED AG 98
AG
He's stubborn as hell. Old coach in a rapidly changing game that is moving / has moved in a direction he doesn't like. One where managerial feel means less than it used to and he doesn't bring the value he once did. Where nerds with computers and spreadsheets who never played a lick can challenge him with actual data that he does not want to believe.

DB was great for baseball and I'll always be thankful for the 2022 run. I can't wait for someone else to be at the helm in '24.
Ag_07
AG
Remember though...He'll thank Dusty later
AgLA06
AG
TarponChaser said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

What I have seen is people repeatedly saying that Dusty is so stubborn and spiteful he refuses to see what's in front of his toothpick and insists he knows best and damn everybody else and it's been highly detrimental to the team. I'd wager it's cost us 10 games this year at least.
With the last 2 weeks, I think that number is probably way on the low end at this point.
agproducer
AG
I was coming to post the Twitter thread on tipping with video. Glad you guys had it covered!
TarponChaser
AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

With the last 2 weeks, I think that number is probably way on the low end at this point.
You might be right but right now we're at 84 wins with 11 to play. If we had 10 more wins right now to be at 94 that would be playing .628 ball for the season and carrying that out over the final 11 would put us at 101-102 wins for the season.

I think that's right in line with where we'd should be instead of the 90-91 wins we're on pace for now.
Beau Holder
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Its a friggin miracle we won the WS last year. What a team that was.

It really does paint them in a new light as an all-time great team. Wonder if they'd have beat the 2001 Mariners with another manager.
AgLA06
AG
TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

You might be right but right now we're at 84 wins with 11 to play. If we had 10 more wins right now to be at 94 that would be playing .628 ball for the season and carrying that out over the final 11 would put us at 101-102 wins for the season.

I think that's right in line with where we'd should be instead of the 90-91 wins we're on pace for now.
The irony in all this is if Dusty hadn't taken the merry go round / magician sleight of hand approach to managing this roster, lineup, team we'd probably be 15 games or more better off and he could have sat and rested whoever he wanted down the stretch instead of worrying about making the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG

Wish we could get Sig & Mike back.
JDUB08AG
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Will be interesting to see if they can sustain like we have for 8 years
Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Farmer1906 said:

I am going to go with they won't be able to. It's just very hard to build a dynasty no matter how well you tank, plan, outsmart, etc. Also, I have zero trust in Os ownership to spend when the time comes.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah, its not a level playing field in the East for spending money like it is in the West.

That makes what the Rays have been doing even that mush more remarkable.
tjack16
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Farmer1906 said:

I could see them being more like the Royals or Cubs where they had 2-3 great years but then scrapped for a rebuild
FrioAg 00
AG
He's not trying to lose, but he's trying desperately to "be right" and it's costing us losses

It's honestly just normal, old fashion arrogance .
Ag_07
AG
The Os owner has already publicly said that there's no way they can keep everyone when the time comes.

He's already set the expectation that they won't sustain.
RED AG 98
AG
Perfectly stated.
TarponChaser
FrioAg 00 said:

He's not trying to lose, but he's trying desperately to "be right" and it's costing us losses

It's honestly just normal, old fashion arrogance .

Arrogance bordering on incompetence.
texasaggie2015
AG
Circling back to Pressly tipping.. someone on Twitter said they were able to track it back to July 14th.

Ryan Pressly's ERA before July 14th was 2.52. It's 6.23 since.

It seems a lefty hitter would have the best angle to see the slight movement in his forearm. Mullins, O'Hearn and Hicks are all lefties and all reached base last night.

His xOBA against lefties before July 14th was .229. It's .341 since.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

JDUB08AG said:

Farmer1906 said:

I could see them being more like the Royals or Cubs where they had 2-3 great years but then scrapped for a rebuild
I think this sells them a little short. They're building something special.

Look at some of those names with a ton of control left.

They have 4 top 50 prospects, 6 top 100, 14 top 300.

For comparison, we have 0 top 50, 1 top 100, and 7 top 300.

My point was that it takes some serious luck or something not fully quantifiable to win consistently in the postseason. I think it is wrong to just assume someone else will be able to do it over 8 seasons like us. But they're built to win and be around for a long time. With the smart guys in charge, I would expect them to be able to extend well past 2-3 years.
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Circling back to Pressly tipping.. someone on Twitter said they were able to track it back to July 14th.

It seems a lefty hitter would have the best angle to see the slight movement in his forearm. Mullins, O'Hearn and Hicks are all lefties and all reached base last night.

If its been happening and known since then why dont we know this? Again, we should be doing video analysis on ourselves just as much as on other teams.

We used to be the smartest kid in school. I feel like we are about to fail a grade and get held back.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's completely possible this is a nothing burger. I kind of hope that's not the case because this would be super fixable.

But if I was able to pick up on this from my couch and the guys who get paid big bucks completely missed it... yikes.
txags92
AG
Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

If its been happening and known since then why dont we know this? Again, we should be doing video analysis on ourselves just as much as on other teams.

We used to be the smartest kid in school. I feel like we are about to fail a grade and get held back.
If we do have people who are tasked with this, after the McCullers incident against the Phillies last year, you would think they would be paying more attention and should have caught it sooner.
First Page Last Page
Page 2371 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.