***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,894 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Harry Stone said:

after the way Dusty managed the postseason last year, I dont see how anyone could hate him. OTOH, people on here that would rather have AJ Hinch after what he did in the 2019 WS are verifiably insane. I honestly dont think we win in 2022 had Hinch been the manager.
You mean the post season in which he had to make zero decisions on which reliever to pitch b/c they were all performing at elite levels? Or the one in which we have confirmation the front office set the lineups?

I feel like this information seemingly hasn't been digested by enough people who keep claiming Dusty didn't have to be overcome last year just like this year.

But to speak just as a happy baseball fan, I'm actually quite excited to see Scherzer v Verlander.
AggieJ2002
AG
tjack16 said:

So if we have a good home-stand against 2 bad teams, we could really separate ourselves and then just watch the mariners and rangers beat each other up the final two weeks

All this SOS stuff is great, but can be deceiving. The Padres series is going to be huge because they are not as bad a team as their record. They have a +60 run differential on the season so it's crazy they are under .500 by so many games.

The 3 Padres pitchers that we will face just combined for 18.2 innings giving up 0 Runs on 8 Hits against a pretty damn good Phillies lineup. Need to finish off the Rangers and find a way to battle against the Padres because it's going to be a tough weekend series
Beat40
W said:

DrZ said:

1) the players like playing for Dusty
2) the pitchers like Maldy catching
3) some of you haters don't know near as much about baseball as Dusty

just a reminder...

Dusty batted Altuve in the 2-hole for 9 games this season

lol
Hinch batted Altuve in the 2-hole for full seasons!

OK, Springer may have been leading off, but still...
agproducer
AG
This made me laugh.

Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

You happen to have a photo of said goldfish bowl? I'm not visualizing it.

Apparently it's the PA booth.

There are windows around it. No other rooms on either side.
Beat40
That's a sweet room.
Ag_07
AG
OK...That's a pretty bad ass set up
wessimo
AG
The seating area behind home plate is kind of weird. High top tables with dudes that look like they are there for an after work happy hour, half of them chatting and barely watching the game.
texasaggie2015
AG
redline248 said:

Harry Stone said:

after the way Dusty managed the postseason last year, I dont see how anyone could hate him. OTOH, people on here that would rather have AJ Hinch after what he did in the 2019 WS are verifiably insane. I honestly dont think we win in 2022 had Hinch been the manager.
You mean the post season in which he had to make zero decisions on which reliever to pitch b/c they were all performing at elite levels? Or the one in which we have confirmation the front office set the lineups?
To be clear- postseason lineups are a group decision and Dusty is still very much involved. The front office has final say. I don't know how many times the front office has had to overrule Dusty. It could be a dozen times. It could be zero. All I know is the structure.

And give credit where credit is due. The front office was going to leave Yuli off the playoff roster last year until Dusty went ballistic on them.

Just making sure everyone is on the same page about what I said a few weeks back.
DoitBest
S
This is the way, I remember back in the Astrodome looking up at my uncle and asking why are the booing the Astro, he said "no, no, that is Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz batting"
RED AG 98
AG
wessimo said:

The seating area behind home plate is kind of weird. High top tables with dudes that look like they are there for an after work happy hour, half of them chatting and barely watching the game.
Ford and Sparky commented on this during the broadcast yesterday. Said the dugouts are intentionally further away from home to give more behind home seating, and that they have a good deal of club level seating even in the lower levels right behind the plate. Haven't been but it sounded cool
jkag89
Prosperdick said:

jkag89 said:

Prosperdick said:

jkag89 said:

Prosperdick said:

texasaggie2015 said:

This thread is going to be really funny to read through after we win the World Series this year
I'd love nothing more that to congratulate Donkey on a second World Series title in SPITE of him and his ridiculous lineups of favoritism and spitefulness.

Yeah, Dusty really held back last year's team. Best record in the AL by 7 games, 11-2 in the postseason.

I get the frustration this year but c'mon man, the vitriol and name calling directed toward Dusty by you on this thread day in and day out win or lose is beyond old.
I didn't call him Donkey last year because he wasn't managing like a stubborn ass, for the most part, and managed really well in the postseason (although we now know the FO had final say on the lineup card).

You obviously don't "get the frustration" because it's beyond ridiculous this year and I won't rehash it but if he stops managing like a stubborn ass I'll stop calling him one. Deal?
No I get frustration. What I don't understand is the need of a supposedly grown man constantly venting such frustration like a child going through the terrible twos.
Hmm, a child going through the terrible twos...sounds like a manager I know.
I guess you would know . . .
CoachAg19
AG
RED AG 98 said:

wessimo said:

Ford and Sparky commented on this during the broadcast yesterday. Said the dugouts are intentionally further away from home to give more behind home seating, and that they have a good deal of club level seating even in the lower levels right behind the plate. Haven't been but it sounded cool

The club level seating there is great. I went in 2021 and really enjoyed that section being right behind home plate. In fact, if you're in the sections right around home plate, there's a private area underneath with TONS of food options that come with the price of your ticket, and private bar areas so you aren't hardly waiting in any lines at all. The high top table area is also a very unique vantage point if you're a fan of the game itself. But I do agree that every time you watch a Rangers game, the people sitting back there appear more interested in the social aspect than the game.
Class of 2010
RED AG 98
AG
CoachAg19 said:

RED AG 98 said:

wessimo said:

The club level seating there is great. I went in 2021 and really enjoyed that section being right behind home plate. In fact, if you're in the sections right around home plate, there's a private area underneath with TONS of food options that come with the price of your ticket, and private bar areas so you aren't hardly waiting in any lines at all. The high top table area is also a very unique vantage point if you're a fan of the game itself. But I do agree that every time you watch a Rangers game, the people sitting back there appear more interested in the social aspect than the game.
I think this is pretty common in the club area of most stadiums, but agree it's a lot more noticeable with the Rangers because of where it is located.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

I knew you were the guy that seat hopped to row 1 after rangers fans started to leave!!

You must have missed the rift between the Hispanic female Astros fan and the other rangers male fan in section 109. She was drunk as hell and very boisterous screaming eff bombs and such

I was closer to the 111 side. We did he a woman pass out right in front of us. That was pretty scary.

Something happened across the stadium in the RF stands. It got loud and you could see police. No idea what went down.

I know. I thought y'all left and then saw you in the front row. Were you the bald guy or long haired guy?
BadAggie
AG
Scherzer's last 5 starts, not bad. Feels like tonight will be a low scoring tight affair.
JCA1
AG
wessimo said:

In their defense, it's not surprising they gave up on the game pretty early the last 2 nights. If I was a Ranger fan there, I'd have been pounding drinks and making post-game plans too.
BadAggie
AG
JV's last 5 starts, hopefully he'll be on and ready to put that last start behind him.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Beau Holder said:

redline248 said:

Harry Stone said:

I feel like this information seemingly hasn't been digested by enough people who keep claiming Dusty didn't have to be overcome last year just like this year.

But to speak just as a happy baseball fan, I'm actually quite excited to see Scherzer v Verlander.
Agreed and there was a ton of complaining about the lineups last year and for part of the season there were legitimate concerns on this forum that we could miss the playoffs. Then the Astros turned everything around during the Yankees series and played great the rest of the season and the complaints about Dusty were minimal.
All I do is Nguyen
I think part of the problem is that this year the turn around took a lot longer than we were used to, if it has even happened at all yet. It is still to be determined if the team has turned a corner yet or not.
annie88
AG
kb2001
AG
A big part of the problem is that people on this thread seem to believe that criticizing every decision the manager makes somehow makes the poster appear to be a savant. Its typically done I'm hindsight or constantly, so its hard to take anybody seriously, its just pollution at this point
All I do is Nguyen
kb2001 said:

A big part of the problem is that people on this thread seem to believe that criticizing every decision the manager makes somehow makes the poster appear to be a savant. Its typically done I'm hindsight or constantly, so its hard to take anybody seriously, its just pollution at this point
I think there are legit times to criticize Dusty like Pinch hitting Singleton for Chas. That, to me, is a HUGE **** up on Donkey. The lineup, well that i don't let it get me down too much because as we saw last night, and the night before that, we can put up huge numbers regardless is Dubon is playing or whatever.
The D
AG
kb2001 said:

Playing your best players everyday does not make anyone a savant. It just makes you not dumb.
W
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

All this SOS stuff is great, but can be deceiving. The Padres series is going to be huge because they are not as bad a team as their record. They have a +60 run differential on the season so it's crazy they are under .500 by so many games.

The 3 Padres pitchers that we will face just combined for 18.2 innings giving up 0 Runs on 8 Hits against a pretty damn good Phillies lineup. Need to finish off the Rangers and find a way to battle against the Padres because it's going to be a tough weekend series
the Padres rank 3rd in MLB in team ERA

this weekend will be a very good test as to whether the Astros have turned the corner

BadAggie
AG
W said:

AggieJ2002 said:

the Padres rank 3rd in MLB in team ERA

this weekend will be a very good test as to whether the Astros have turned the corner

Yeah don't want to be looking ahead but bad timing for that series
PhatMack19
AG
Prosperdick
AG
kb2001 said:

Hindsight, are you f***ing kidding me. This isn't armchair QB bull****, this is simple lineup construction and playing your best players and giving them a chance to be successful. These are complaints done BEFORE the game is played.

Also, folks are venting because they are frustrated, not trying to appear like a savant. It's because we live and breathe Astros baseball and are fanatical about it. I guess we should just keep our mouths shut and be good little sheep and not question anything.

OK venting over. Lets light up Max's cheating ass tonight!!!
Big Al 1992
AG
More Jose love - we are watching a special player.

W
AG
Altuve has been playing for so long...

folks forget he has won 3 batting titles
Harry Stone
AG
BadAggie said:

Scherzer's last 5 starts, not bad. Feels like tonight will be a low scoring tight affair.

until the 6th or so inning.
Wabs
AG
We have Altuve for the first 60 games, we're leading this division by a long ways.
Wabs
AG
BadAggie said:

JV's last 5 starts, hopefully he'll be on and ready to put that last start behind him.

We need to be patient, work the count and build his pitch count. The Rangers will do the same with JV.
Big Al 1992
AG
Hoping JV gives Astros a good 7 innings. Who is rested and who will the first couple of arms out of the pen be?
Graveman then Abreu?
Beat40
Big Al 1992 said:

Hoping JV gives Astros a good 7 innings. Who is rested and who will the first couple of arms out of the pen be?
Graveman then Abreu?
Bullpen should be good.

Montero, Neris, Abreu, Pressly should all be good to go today.
First Page Last Page
Page 2162 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.