2023 youth baseball/softball check-in

109,689 Views | 926 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by FrioAg 00
docb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4tbiS4u8it/?igsh=MWR3aTU2c2t6cmVheg==
Jbob04
AG
docb said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4tbiS4u8it/?igsh=MWR3aTU2c2t6cmVheg==

That was good!
DBill
AG
Dad brag here. Started our league play last night in 9u USSSA. We won 15-0 in 3 innings run rule and my son pitched a perfect game with all strikeouts. 9 batters faced, 9 strike outs, 39 total pitches.

He has been working his butt off with his team and outside of team practices. He was so in the zone and locked in, it was an incredible thing to watch.
Farmer1906
AG
So he threw 10 balls/fouls? Lots of room for improvement. Step it up!
DBill
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So he threw 10 balls/fouls? Lots of room for improvement. Step it up!

Haha! I know right. Super pumped for him.
TarponChaser
DBill said:

Dad brag here. Started our league play last night in 9u USSSA. We won 15-0 in 3 innings run rule and my son pitched a perfect game with all strikeouts. 9 batters faced, 9 strike outs, 39 total pitches.

He has been working his butt off with his team and outside of team practices. He was so in the zone and locked in, it was an incredible thing to watch.

Well done. You should brag on him. Having that high of a strike % at 9 is excellent.

Hell, at any age that's outstanding.
Jbob04
AG
Headed to the dreaded CTX field of dreams in dripping springs for a one day tournament on Saturday. Hate that damn place.
agsalaska
AG
One of a hundred reasons to not play PG in Austin.

By the way we had out first weekend in Franklin at The Ranch last weekend and it was everything we hoped that it would be. A really special place. Y'all got to look into that next year.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Jbob04
AG
Yep, we haven't played PG in years, not sure why our coach decided to this year.

Yes I would love to play in Franklin, right down the road from us. Our coaches oldest son in 13u is playing there this season so at least he's getting to see how good of a set up it is.
Jbob04
AG
Well we survived the field of screams in dripping springs. After surviving non stop foul balls all day, our boys won the championship. Finally got home at midnight. Absolutely hate the design of that facility. No reason not to have nets up to keep foul balls from hitting people. Fields right on top of each other and no walking room either.
evestor1
last night my son in a 7u little league team was awarded a game ball after the game. right after that another kid raised his hand and said [i should get one too b/c i made a good out.]

the coach said [you both get a game ball] and handed the ball he was holding to the other kid and told my kid we'll get you another one. afterwards, my son went up to him and asked for the ball. the coach told him [we'll get you one another time.]

it dejected me. obviously did not say anything other than congratulations to him. it killed me though.

when we got home he told my wife and she was overjoyed and asked to see it so she could take a picture. at that point he realized he had been taken...

am i wrong for not wanting my son to get a game ball several days after being told he got it?

Quito
AG
Things I thought were important at 7 were not important by 8.
Things I thought important at 8, were not important at 9.
Same for 10 and 11

I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old. I've learned along the way that none of this is important besides the process, having fun, learning good and bad, and to not care about results to the detriment of character.

I see first hand the difference between how I approach my 12U vs my 10U and the parents.

In short, he'll be fine. Kids know what's up. I wouldn't worry about anything other than is the coach a good man you would want influencing your son...and I don't mean baseball.
TarponChaser
evestor1 said:

last night my son in a 7u little league team was awarded a game ball after the game. right after that another kid raised his hand and said [i should get one too b/c i made a good out.]

the coach said [you both get a game ball] and handed the ball he was holding to the other kid and told my kid we'll get you another one. afterwards, my son went up to him and asked for the ball. the coach told him [we'll get you one another time.]

it dejected me. obviously did not say anything other than congratulations to him. it killed me though.

when we got home he told my wife and she was overjoyed and asked to see it so she could take a picture. at that point he realized he had been taken...

am i wrong for not wanting my son to get a game ball several days after being told he got it?

****-ass move by the coach. Man up and gently tell the kid that, "no, Evestor Jr. earned it for this game."

Not a big deal at all in the long run but a terrible move from the coach.
lil99chris
AG
…..a lot of parents out $400.
agsalaska
AG
And just like that the sun is back out
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Farmer1906
AG
Isn't the Icon similar in "hottness"?
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Isn't the Icon similar in "hottness"?

I think they're pretty close but the Hype Fire is still hotter.

IIRC, the Icon -5 with Bat Bros was about 110 exit velo with a max of 116 while the Hype Fire was averaging 116 and hitting 120. Plus, the Icon is more durable than the Hype Fire.
Quito
AG
Will Easton give refunds?
aggielax48
AG
Quito said:

Will Easton give refunds?
Doubt it, its still a certified bat. Only PG banned it.

Can't wait to see how many Icons I see this weekend. Easton just doubled their money by moving all their sales to the Icons. But gameplay wise, the Icons seem like a good bat, but in the realm of the other -5 bats. The Hype was just crazy hot, surprised it took this long to ban it.
TarponChaser
My older son hit a couple legit 300' bombs in 12U (when he was still 11) with the Louisville Slugger -5 Meta and did likewise in 13U still with the same Meta. Now in 14U he's hit some off the wall at 320' with a BBCOR I can't imagine him swinging the Hype Fire.
TarponChaser
Everybody switching to USSSA, V-Tool, and NCS now so they can still swing the Hype Fire.
PhatMack19
AG
I just sold my kid's Hype Fire a month ago. He was transitioning to -5 and Hype was just too endloaded for him. He crushed with it, but just missed a lot of pitches that he normally handles. The -5 Icon has been great. Very balanced and easy to swing
PhatMack19
AG
Dad brag post and suggestions.

Work on the swing and results will follow no matter what bat they use. Not bad for 5 yrs old…. Why does it look so much prettier from the left side?

Jbob04
AG
Great pic and swing!
TarponChaser
If you're on Facebook you should check out these two groups on Houston Area Select Baseball- the wailing and gnashing of teeth because little Timmy won't be able to drop nukes with his Hype Fire -5 in PG events is comedy gold.

PG dominates Houston so I wonder if there will be a rush of people switching to USSSA or V-Tool here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HoustonAreaSelectBaseballCommunity/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/houstonareaselectbaseballcommunit/

Farmer1906
AG
Got this email this morning. Rawlings trying to strike while the irons hot.

Yes, I know Rawlings owns Easton.
TarponChaser
I also learned that Rawlings owns Easton? And they're saying that PG didn't consult with them or ask for any testing/data?

Seems odd.
agsalaska
AG
We immediately got an email from the Franklin league saying the bat was banned there.

My guess is USSSA and Vtool will ban it after this weekend. I am sure it is a safety issue. Imagine the litigation around that if USSSA ****s around and finds out.

Quito
AG
Thoughts on perception if using it at non PG tourney?

Is this something others will look down upon if you are using it at a non PG event?
agsalaska
AG
So back to baseball. My son's team has really turned a corner. They finished each of the last two seasons 1 game under .500 playing AAA. This year they are 13-5, 2-0 against majors, made three finals, won two, and are leading the Franklin League. Amazing what one coach and a little bit of patience can do for a team. They are absolutely crushing teams right now.

Also, his elbow has fortunately been a non issue this year. We are still not allowing him to pitch or play outfield and he is on the bench more than usual(limiting him to about seven-eight innings a day at 2b), but that's all fine. He is proud of his team and having a blast. And is hitting better than ever.

aggielax48
AG
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2621871218129120/permalink/3598199997162899/
PhatMack19
AG
My team had hit 2 homeruns total in 40 games before the weekend. Yesterday in the semifinal, we went back to back to back to back. 4 bombs in a row in less than 5 minutes. That was pretty fun
BullSprig07
AG
Great to watch my son's 9U AA team finally turn a corner this weekend. He's been playing with this group almost a year now, all West Houston/SBISD area kids. Really talented group but felt like the results weren't coming and was becoming a grind. In fall DH league and a couple tournaments early this spring it seemed like we were always running into teams that were outplaying us, even if the eyeball test said they shouldn't be. You would check their records and they had played way more games and seemingly only play baseball year round and it showed. All of our kids play multiple sports and we like it that way for now and the foreseeable future.

I've always thought really highly about the team's coach and his long-term approach so stressed to my son to stick with the process. Well basketball ended and they've been solely focused on baseball the last couple of months and this weekend they finally broke out. 5-0 and won the PGBA Triple Play Classic for their first hardware! My son also hit .663 and won tournament MVP (could have easily gone to any number of boys on the team).

Been lurking on this thread for a while and appreciate the insight shared by those of you who have been in the insanity of tournament/travel/select for a lot longer. Glad to finally have some success to post about.
Quito
AG
Sounds like the way it should be! Good for your boy, coach, and teammates.

We are in another situation. At what age do you think it's appropriate for coach to not play kids in the field and only bat them during bracket play on Sundays? Keep in mind I'm talking competitive team, not rec.

Is it ever ok? Is it ok at 9, 10, 11, 12? What does texags say?
Bassmaster
AG
I think that is less common than the alternative. We see kids play the field but not hit all the time in 12u major. My son's team bats 10 of 11 on Sundays. Most of the teams we play only bat 9. Although nothing has happened yet, it will cause problems on my son's team at some point because 1) they are 12, and 2) the 10th hitter is no better than the 11th but he still gets the opportunity every weekend. If it were my son, we would be leaving the team to find a place where he can actually develop. Can't develop if you aren't playing. I understand why the coach does it, but I still think it is too young for that. 9, 10, 11 is definitely too young.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.