2023 youth baseball/softball check-in

87,927 Views | 837 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by TAM85
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bassmaster said:

Here - 12u majors

8 a.m. Saturday at the RAC
8 a.m. Sunday in Rosenberg

Saw your schedule and y'all got a tough draw for sure. Good luck.
Bassmaster
AG
Yeah, should be fun. I don't care if we go 0-4, just hope the boys compete.
BurnetAggie99
As a Head Baseball Operations Director We got a lot of goo Bandito entered in all the age groups. Looking forward to seeing everyone compete
agsalaska
AG
8:00am in Waco. Cannot wait to get this season started.
mosdefn14
AG
Jr. went 2-2 with 2 doubles, but his dad had 12ks and we lost 10-1. The other team must have asked only their 8 best players to show up tonight, and they all got to bat 4 times while one of my 13 got up once.

Also, how the heck do your 6 year olds keep their eyes open for 7:00 PM games?
agsalaska
AG
Ha.

In fall ball we play double headers with the t-ballers. 6pm and 7pm.

Gets the. Ready for the real thing.
agsalaska
AG
Let's goooooo!!!!!
redline248
AG
Daughter has a double header this morning. I definitely did not go to sleep early enough for this
Jbob04
AG
Let's goooo! 8am game in Waco l. Off to a good start so far. Good luck to everyone
PhatMack19
AG
Rough day today to start the tourney. We played a team from Vegas(#15 in the country) that just mashed 1-10. We didn't play bad, they just crushed the ball.

2nd game we played against #7 team and played like ass. They were throwing a kid throwing 60-62, which we see often. Kid was blowing us away. My kids were complaining. Took me 2 innings to notice. Ump also mentioned it after the 2nd inning. We stopped the game to check the mound. It was set at 38'. A full 8' closer than it should be. That didn't help my soft throwing lefty that just gets ground balls all day.

Anyways on to tomorrow against the #17 & #20 ranked teams in the country. PG hooked us up on our draw.
redline248
AG
I wonder how often fields are played on with the wrong dimensions
TarponChaser
PhatMack19 said:

Rough day today to start the tourney. We played a team from Vegas(#15 in the country) that just mashed 1-10. We didn't play bad, they just crushed the ball.

2nd game we played against #7 team and played like ass. They were throwing a kid throwing 60-62, which we see often. Kid was blowing us away. My kids were complaining. Took me 2 innings to notice. Ump also mentioned it after the 2nd inning. We stopped the game to check the mound. It was set at 38'. A full 8' closer than it should be. That didn't help my soft throwing lefty that just gets ground balls all day.

Anyways on to tomorrow against the #17 & #20 ranked teams in the country. PG hooked us up on our draw.

What fields were y'all on? That sounds like a Ford Park special to have the mounds off like that.
BurnetAggie99
If playing on a field with portable mounds I always make a mission to step off/measure the distances no matter what age group I'm coaching. Seen this happens way to many times at all age levels
PhatMack19
AG
We are in Sealy
agsalaska
AG
My son threw a no hitter today!

I know most of yall are around the big cities and playing in that big Houston tournament. But here in central Texas we have a really good baseball tradition and all the 11u teams came together in Waco this weekend. Everything from low AA to high AAA all in the same brackets.

We went 0-2 yesterday losing two games we could have won so we had to play four today.

My son faced eight batters against this team last summer in a crappy tournament on Fort Hood and all eight reached base. He also got spike in that game and his dad was ready to fight the first base coach(mostly kidding). Hot day.

They were 23-2 and the best 11u team around here coming into the game and he shut them down. Only ball that got to the outfield was from an error by the 3b in the first inning. 48 pitches 35 strikes. one error and one HBP. Five innings.

We lost 5-4 in the semis with the go ahead run at the plate after playing 16 innings today. But after about 13 innings they started acting like the 10-11 year olds that they are, crying, *****ing about the strike zone(umps were great), etc. They hit their limit.

But they played ten innings today allowing 1 run on three hits with one error. Thats really good baseball at 11u for the first two games. . Allowed five in a six inning semi with four unearned

But a great opening weekend.
Jbob04
AG
Great weekend for us in Waco for our 9u team for our first tournament of the season. We played great all weekend but struggled in the championship game. We battled it out and came home with first place!
PhatMack19
AG
I know PG sets up these tourneys to protect their top teams, but man our pool schedule was brutal. The 4 teams we played went 14-1-1 combined in pool. 3 of them won their 1st bracket game last night and are in the Top 8 this morning.

We went 0-3-1 on the weekend. It wasn't all bad. Lots of things to learn from and build on.
PhatMack19
AG
One of our local teams went 4-0 in 12 Major and didn't make the bracket. 2 unbeaten teams left out of Top 16. That's rough.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
They still have 8 teams playing on Monday morning? And the tournament began when, Thursday or Friday?
agsalaska
AG
Congrats.

That was a really good venue. We had never been there before and really liked it.

There were some runs crossing the plate over on the 9u field. We lost 5-4 in the semis to a team that we have probably played 15 times since 8u. I was talking to their coach after the game and its funny how when we first got started, especially 9u, our games were 10-9, 12-11, etc against each other. Now they are 3-2, 5-4, etc. Its fun watching them figure out how to really play. There were six double plays in the three games we played yesterday and only one was because of silly baserunning. The rest were legit.
PhatMack19
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

They still have 8 teams playing on Monday morning? And the tournament began when, Thursday or Friday?

Majors is Saturday-Monday

They did have some other levels play Friday night, but it was local teams and those tourneys ended Sunday.
Jbob04
AG
Congrats you your son and yalls team. I agree, it is a really good place to play. Our team didn't allow a run until the championship game and we made some errors but ended up winning it 13-12.
BMX Bandit
question for the group:

had a team try the "hidden ball trick" during 13UAAA game over the weekend after a mound visit by the coach They actually tagged the kid out on 2nd, but field umpire had his back turned. home plate most likely saw it, but when it was appealed to him, he said he had not signaled to pitcher that game was resuming after the time out.

complete chickensheet play for 13 years olds. any disagree?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

question for the group:

had a team try the "hidden ball trick" during 13UAAA game over the weekend after a mound visit by the coach They actually tagged the kid out on 2nd, but field umpire had his back turned. home plate most likely saw it, but when it was appealed to him, he said he had not signaled to pitcher that game was resuming after the time out.

How so? If the pitcher doesn't take the rubber it isn't illegal.
agsalaska
AG
Meh,

I don't think so. Not sure it is worth wasting practice time trying to learn it but I wouldn't consider that bushleague. If someone tried that on our 11 year olds they would think it was funny and talk about it the rest of the day.

But I can understand why some people wouldn't like that.
BMX Bandit
its a little league silly play you don't expect to see at this age. no one was mad about it, more just laughed at them for thinking thats how to play. (they also did cheers in dugout, which I always find weird)

after game I asked home plate ump "you saw it didn't you?" he just smiled and rolled his eyes.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
When is it that you believe is an acceptable age to use the play?

Do you also believe delayed steals are stupid to draw away the pitchers attention in order to steal home?
BMX Bandit
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

When is it that you believe is an acceptable age to use the play?

Do you also believe delayed steals are stupid to draw away the pitchers attention in order to steal home?
its silly at any age, but I'd go with 10 as cut off.

no.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
You'd of been real pissed playing against my team while I was in HS because I bet we did it 3-4 times, and we thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Sorry we disappointed you

And it sound like 13yr olds messed up the timing so what makes you think a 10yr old would have success
BMX Bandit
wouldn't be pissed, would just think you were goofballs. takes all kinds.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

It does take all types
TarponChaser
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

BMX Bandit said:

question for the group:

How so? If the pitcher doesn't take the rubber it isn't illegal.

Had the same thing happen in the fall only it was first base that had the ball. The umps literally didn't know the rules and still called our kid out.

Basically, the coach called time and the whole team infield met on the mound where they gave 1B the ball. Then our runner was standing about 3 feet off the bag, the pitcher took the rubber, and the home plate ump called it in play. Pitcher is on the rubber and our runner takes his lead. Then their 1B steps over and tags him and they call him out.

We appealed because if the pitcher is on the rubber without the ball it's a balk and IIRC the home plate ump can't signal to play ball out of a time out like that if the P doesn't have the ball.

I don't recall the exact ins & outs of the rule but one of the dads on the team is an umpire and he actually had a rule book and showed the umps and they still wouldn't overturn the call.
agsalaska
AG
BMX Bandit said:

its a little league silly play you don't expect to see at this age. no one was mad about it, more just laughed at them for thinking thats how to play. (they also did cheers in dugout, which I always find weird)

after game I asked home plate ump "you saw it didn't you?" he just smiled and rolled his eyes.
Mos tof the teams in our area do a LOT of that at younger ages. And my son was one of the ringleaders. They had all kinds of different cheer and chants they would do.

By 10u a lot of it had stopped and now at 11u our coach is mostly stopping all of it. Its a maturity thing that is fine and funny in coach pitch but as they get older its not a part of baseball. If I saw a 13u team doing it I woujld find it VERY weird.
12thMan9
AG
BMX Bandit said:

question for the group:

Why didn't you protest? That's a balk.

If the field ump had his back turned, who called him out? You state the ump hadn't put the ball back in play so it should be a dead ball anyway.
Ronnie '88
agsalaska
AG
Protest? Maybe because it was 13u baseball?

He did appeal it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.