*****Official Texas Rangers 2021-2022 Off Season Thread*****

61,042 Views | 766 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by awrollins
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Garver is a beast. Long time since we've had a catcher like this.
Grapesoda2525
I'm just glad the preseason is pretty much over. Give or take a few innings.
rbtexan
S
Bleacher Report MLB Predictions

This prediction article has the Rangers going 74-88, which would be a 14 game improvement over last season. I still think we get up around 77-80, but I think much more than that is unrealistic. Still a year away..
Jimbo Franchione
AgBQ-00
AG
Who's starting the season thread?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
wbt5845
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Who's starting the season thread?
We should let young Mr. Gig 'Em have the honor IMHO.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'll kick off the season thread Friday morning
Proposition Joe
Does roku have a vpn workaround so i can do mlb.tv for Rangers?
alvtimes
Mr Gigem said:

alvtimes said:

damn rangers .....got kicked from April 11th to october..... thanks for nothing

What?

sorry Gigem..... local storms monday had me on chainsaw/tree dragger detail helping friends and neighbors last couple days....... 4 tix for april 11th got kicked to Oct 4th, very frustrating. I realize we lucked into the new home opener but that wasnt our fault
Mr Gigem
AG
alvtimes said:

Mr Gigem said:

alvtimes said:

damn rangers .....got kicked from April 11th to october..... thanks for nothing

What?

sorry Gigem..... local storms monday had me on chainsaw/tree dragger detail helping friends and neighbors last couple days....... 4 tix for april 11th got kicked to Oct 4th, very frustrating. I realize we lucked into the new home opener but that wasnt our fault

Why don't you use the money you've paid already and apply it towards opening day tickets?
Proposition Joe
No real good way to do it, but the people who paid the Yankees home opener prices that are now getting Rockies is a tough pill to swallow for many.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm not sure the prices would've been that much different if the Rockies were the original opening day opponent
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

I realize we lucked into the new home opener but that wasnt our fault
Also on this, you didn't purchase tickets for opening day in the first place. We had to move everyone who did purchase tickets for opening day into this new date, therefore displacing people who purchased tickets for the original April 11th game. Did it make everyone happy? No.
Proposition Joe
Mr Gigem said:

I'm not sure the prices would've been that much different if the Rockies were the original opening day opponent

What people would have been willing to pay would have been significantly different though.
wbt5845
AG
As Mr. GigEm said, Game 5 was redesignated as Game 1. Games 2,3, 4 and the old Game 5 are now the Yankee series at the end of the season.
wbt5845
AG
BTW - TONS of Opening Day tickets on StubHub. Another guy in my pool has the seats for that game this year but I may still go - game time decision on Monday.
Mr Gigem
AG
Also lots of tickets available on our website
rbtexan
S
Rangers trade Yonny Hernandez to the Diamondbacks for OF Jeferson Espinal.
Jimbo Franchione
Faustus
BryanAggie2013 said:

ESPN Power Rankings and Season Preview

Quote:

21. Texas Rangers

Projected record: 69-83 (3.6% playoff odds)

If everything goes right ... Corey Seager and Marcus Semien both start the All-Star Game and finish in the top five of the MVP voting. Nathaniel Lowe adds more loft to his swing and becomes a 30-homer dude. We get first-half Adolis Garcia (.840 OPS) instead of second-half Adolis Garcia (.627 OPS). Joe Barlow saves 40 games, and the patchwork rotation somehow isn't awful. The Rangers win a wild card. -- Schoenfield

Weakness that could stop them: Despite the offseason signing of Jon Gray, the Rangers' rotation looks bad on every level. Gray should be a fixture and maybe he and Dane Dunning can form a one-two punch if the younger Dunning can ramp up his workload. Texas' roster is also a work in progress, but the splurges of the offseason should result in immediate improvement. The problem: For Texas to move into the fringe of wild-card contention, it's the rotation that's going to have to overachieve in terms of both per-rata performance and innings count. -- Doolittle

Most likely 2022 award winner: Corey Seager landed the bigger contract (10 years, $325 million), but Marcus Semien (seven years, $175 million himself) has nearly doubled his fWAR over the past three years, while combining 85 homers with 29 stolen bases and an .854 OPS. Now, with Seager at short, Semien is a long-term second baseman -- and that's his better position. From 2019 to 2020, Semien was a minus-12 at shortstop, according to outs above average, fifth worst in the majors. In 2021, he was plus-7 at second base, sixth best. -- Gonzalez

One (realistic) bold prediction: Jon Gray wins a career-high 15 games, strikes out 200 batters for the first time, finishes with an ERA under 3.25 and makes the All-Star team. -- Schoenfield
Thoughts?

I don't see much I disagree with as far as the blurbs. But man, I sure hope that projected record isn't accurate.

It's not. It only adds up to 152 games.
hawk1689
AG
rbtexan said:

Rangers trade Yonny Hernandez to the Diamondbacks for OF Jeferson Espinal.
I'm kind of angry about this one. I don't understand the Rangers insistence on keeping around veteran JAG's like Charlie Culberson and Logan Forsythe and not letting guys like Hernandez play at or above their same level. Hernandez has the tools to be a legitimate leadoff hitter. I know that I don't have all of the information, but I was right about Odubel Herrera and Hanser Alberto when they were in a similar situation.
rbtexan
S
Not a huge loss IMO. First, the Rangers are loaded with middle infielder prospects in the minors. Second, he's always going to be a limited offensive player, because he has no power....none at all....singles hitter only, maybe sneak a double or triple down the line on occasion, but that's it. Third, and most importantly, he had a really weak spring defensively. If you're going to be a utility/bench guy (which is about all he projects to be) you have to at least play decent D. He made some atrocious plays in a few of the games I watched this spring.

I think his high end potential is to be a role player/backup infielder, or possibly a starter on a non-contender team. He was never going to be a guy who would be an impact player for the Rangers, especially now that we have Seager and Semien to play the two positions Hernandez is best suited to play.
Jimbo Franchione
Schall 02
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Someone didn't get the memo.
Mr Gigem
AG
Schall 02 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Someone didn't get the memo.

I'm sorry, have the Rangers played their first game yet?
AgBQ-00
AG
He's saying someone else started one already. Wasn't a shot at you I believe
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Mr Gigem
AG
My b

And WTF
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

My b

And WTF

I forgot about you and you're too slow

Just kidding. We can work on getting mine deleted
Mr Gigem
AG
No just leave it!

This is the last comment. Move out!
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Gig 'em. Start the new new one bro!
Schall 02
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

He's saying someone else started one already. Wasn't a shot at you I believe
Cappo
AG
new thread? we play tomorrow haha
Grapesoda2525
Today is the day. Won't post on this thread again.
Houagg77
AG
Is it really trash talk if the Rangers aren't competitive?
awrollins
Houagg77 said:

Is it really trash talk if the Rangers aren't competitive?
This post right here is exactly why Astros fans are the dumbest fans in all of sports. You literally looked up the Rangers OFF-SEASON THREAD FROM A MONTH AGO to talk smack. Like I honestly don't even know what to say

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.