*****Official Texas Rangers 2021-2022 Off Season Thread*****

61,228 Views | 766 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by awrollins
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is he the first ever QO guy to get a 1 year deal elsewhere? This seems nuts
powerbelly
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Is he the first ever QO guy to get a 1 year deal elsewhere? This seems nuts
It's not the first bad decision that the Angels' front office has made.
Mr Gigem
AG
Well, it is the Angels.
alvtimes
Mr Gigem said:

Well, it is the Angels.

at least they try!!!!
rbtexan
S
alvtimes said:

Mr Gigem said:

Well, it is the Angels.

at least they try!!!!
...and fail. Over and over.

Not exactly the template I'd like the Rangers to follow.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
They sign Noah to a 1year deal.

Maybe that was all Noah wanted, believing with a solid year, he'll get a phenom deal after the season.

The Angels give up a pick. They get... a lottery pick on a SP that could have a great season.

If Noah has a great season, then ...

... if the Angels are competitive, then he likely gets them to the playoffs.
... if the Angels suck, then they trade Noah for minor-leaguers... OR ... give him a QO and get that pick back.

Not a bad strategy.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

alvtimes said:

Mr Gigem said:

Well, it is the Angels.

at least they try!!!!
...and fail. Over and over.

Not exactly the template I'd like the Rangers to follow.
Maybe not the template... but I certainly don't see the path to success based on the current template the Rangers are using.
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

... if the Angels suck, then they trade Noah for minor-leaguers... OR ... give him a QO and get that pick back.
Depending on how the new CBA shakes out
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Quote:

Seeing several signings this week is a little surprising to me. I didn't expect to see much except for lower level free agents signing until the new CBA is finalized. Figured both the players and owners would want that finalized before trying to determine definitive values for players.

Mr Gigem
AG
KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Quote:

Seeing several signings this week is a little surprising to me. I didn't expect to see much except for lower level free agents signing until the new CBA is finalized. Figured both the players and owners would want that finalized before trying to determine definitive values for players.

Maybe that is a sign things are trending in a positive direction?
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Quote:

Maybe that is a sign things are trending in a positive direction?

We can hope! Usually talks between players and management don't tend to go well... or get done quickly. But you never know...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Astros dished out $25 million on Verlander for next year with a player option for 2023.
bigcat22
AG
The Yankees DFA'ed Odor, too soon for a reunion?
wbt5845
AG
Thor brought his hammer yesterday.

investorAg83
AG
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/tigers-rangers-showing-interest-in-marcus-semien.html

Would love Semien over Correa; esp if they can get him at the 6 for 138 alluded to in the article.
Grapesoda2525
I guess I'm just saying this because we haven't officially made a move yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that the rangers aren't " the Dallas mavericks" of the MLB where it seems like we're interested in everybody and always sign nobody.
wbt5845
AG
I too think Semian us a better fit and probably close to being the same player. I ain't n favor of 10 year contracts for anybody.
Schall 02
AG
Have we talked about Woodward's extension ?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think so, but I think there isn't much basis to evaluate him at this point and its only thru 2023. So I don't mind keeping him from being a lame duck
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Rangers making big off-season moves.

Acquired 2 players from the Dodgers for "Cash."

Billy McKinney (27-DH-type) - is from Plano West Sr High... and has amassed a total of 265 MLB ABs with a stellar BA of .192. He is RuleV eligible.

Zach Reks (28-DH-type) - has 7 SOs in his 10 plate appearances at the MLB level and is still hoping for his 1st base hit.

These are the types of moves I was hoping for that will get us to the playoffs.
rbtexan
S
....in case anyone wonders why Rangers' fans are skeptical that the team will actually spend money
Jimbo Franchione
wbt5845
AG
Neither of these guys excite me too much - but I do like Zach Reks as a player.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm well aware of the Rangers history of under delivering on free agent attempts but I'm struggling to find how this means anything at all one way or the other.
KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

....in case anyone wonders why Rangers' fans are skeptical that the team will actually spend money

I posted previously that I was surprised to see the free agent signings prior to the new CBA being agreed to. And there is still quite a bit of money flying around (just saw that Tampa of all teams.... agreed to a long term deal with Wander Franco today). I figured that the teams would wait and see what the terms of the new CBA will be, and also the potential impact on compensation for free agent singings. But doesn't seem to be the case for quite a few teams out there.
investorAg83
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

I'm well aware of the Rangers history of under delivering on free agent attempts but I'm struggling to find how this means anything at all one way or the other.

It doesn't. He's just looking for something to complain about.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris said:

You only get 25/26 and 40.

What are we doing messing with guys that can't make the roster of any other team?!

We just traded for a bunch of guys that I project as no better than most the guys we already had.

Quote:

Ezequiel Duran (22-IFUt-A+)
Trevor Hauver (23-LF/2B-A+)
Josh Smith (24-IFUt-AA)
Josh Stowers (24-OF-AA)

Among many more. Let's aim a little higher. We have plenty of guys 2-3 years younger who warrant opportunity.

BTW, Ragans... many who were hoping would make the rotation in 2022 was left unprotected and eligible for Rule V draft, if I'm looking at that correctly. I'd expect him to be picked. We have several others.
Disco Stu
AG
It would be stunning if Ragans was picked. He is 80.2 innings recovered from TWO Tommy John surgeries. This isn't the type of arm that you can stash in the bullpen and he didn't exactly light AA on fire.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Sorry. You're acting like we exposed Jung to the Rule V to grab these guys for cash. The whole "trade" is a nothing burger that means nothing.
KT 90
AG
MLB.com put out an updated listing off all available free agents, ranked by tiers, 1 through 5.

Looks like the Rangers will sit tight with the upcoming expiration of the CBA on 12/1. No telling how long it'll take to get a new deal in place. But I believe there will be no transactions during that timeframe until a new CBA is agreed to.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ranking-mlb-free-agents-by-tier?partnerId=zh-20211127-508967-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20211127-508967-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=caXuMt9nHlA11v6LTj4HpXeMoN6JjkEUbxcIt%2Bzt6avSwMSnW%2BrcIOJBzf9mj24g&bt_ts=1638023244226

investorAg83
AG
Listened to a segment with Norm a week or 2 ago and actually loved his proposed acquisitions vs the budget:

Correa, Avisail Garcia, Suzuki, Jon Gray, Gausman (although I'd pass since he had the QO), and a few bullpen arms.

Gray is a GREAT value, imo, if we can sign him.
KT 90
AG
What did he project the AAV of those contracts to be? I doubt our mgmt would pull the trigger on that many guaranteed contracts. Although other than Correa, most of those would/could be in the 3 to 5 year range.

KT 90
AG
And even if he is willing to come to Arlington, still not sure about hitching up to 10 years of Correra given his back injury issues over the years.
investorAg83
AG
KT 90 said:

What did he project the AAV of those contracts to be? I doubt our mgmt would pull the trigger on that many guaranteed contracts. Although other than Correa, most of those would/could be in the 3 to 5 year range.

Pulled it back up...here are the cliff's notes:

Big FA signing would need to be either SP or middle IF. Only 3 SP's worth going big on: Ray will cost too much (probably 7 for 175), Gausman is a possibility, Stroman is probably headed back to the Mets. Forget SP...money whip Correa. 8 for 300...knows it's too much and you can only hope that gets him. Seager (too old), Story, Semien...but Correa is 27.

Then hit SP. Can't get Ray on the budget...but Gausman? 6 for 132. 22 per. Not sure if that gets him away from SF. But Jon Gray could be had for 12-13 and he's been hidden in Colorado.

OF/DH needs. Prioritize Suzuki from Japan. He's 27 with terrific numbers. Prime of his career. Could probably get him for 12-13MM. Then hit Avisail Garcia. He can play CF...could you get him for 4 for 48? Maybe

SS Correa - 8 for 300; 38 per year
SP Gausman - 6 for 132, 22 per
SP Gray - hidden gem. 30 yo. Could get him for 14MM per
OF Suzuki - 4 for 48ish, 13MM
OF Garcia - 4 for 48ish, 13MM

That's your $100MM. Then bargain hunt for guys like Rosenthal, Chafin, Knebel, etc. Goal should be to get one of those deals done before the deadline to entice others. Leaves 3B open for Jung to come up and until then move Kiner-Falefa back. Can put Huff at first if you need to.

My add to that budget mix: Jonathan Villar at 2b.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83 said:

SS Correa - 8 for 300; 38 per year
SP Gausman - 6 for 132, 22 per
SP Gray - hidden gem. 30 yo. Could get him for 14MM per
OF Suzuki - 4 for 48ish, 13MM
OF Garcia - 4 for 48ish, 13MM

That's your $100MM. Then bargain hunt for guys like Rosenthal, Chafin, Knebel, etc. Goal should be to get one of those deals done before the deadline to entice others. Leaves 3B open for Jung to come up and until then move Kiner-Falefa back. Can put Huff at first if you need to.

My add to that budget mix: Jonathan Villar at 2b.
Not a fan of getting Correa. I don't think he would be healthy when/if we needed him. It is the problem I have with Kershaw. You have to have enough talent around them to absorb the loss of them for long periods. I'd rather sign two $20M SPs.

I'd like to see Gray as a 3rd FA signing, behind two better players we sign. He seems like a Dunning mid-rotation type SP. He'd provide some stability and innings eating. Also, his splits are pretty even home/away, which is surprising.

I could appreciate a Gausman signing, but I think 6 years for a 30 year old is a bit long. I don't see the Rangers going past 4 years.

I still don't believe the $100M number. I'm expecting $45M... and would be thrilled if they signed $60M. Thrilled not because I think it would put a winning product, but thrilled that I was wrong on the $45M range.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.