*****Official Texas Rangers 2021-2022 Off Season Thread*****

61,059 Views | 766 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by awrollins
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'll start. - Luis Ortiz and Don Wakamatsu are the first two human sacrifices.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32344783/texas-rangers-hitting-coach-luis-ortiz-bench-coach-don-wakamatsu-102-loss-season

Quote:

The Texas Rangers have dismissed hitting coach Luis Ortiz and bench coach Don Wakamatsu after a 102-loss season.

Two days after the season ended with the Rangers being shut out for a majors-high 15th time, the team said Tuesday that Ortiz and Wakamatsu would not return to manager Chris Woodward's staff in 2022.

The status of assistant hitting coach Callix Crabbe and Alex Burg, the team's coordinator of run production, will be determined by the new hitting coach. Crabbe and Burg were given permission to seek other employment opportunities.

Ortiz spent three seasons with Texas, which used a club-record 26 rookies and was 29th in the majors this year with a .232 team batting average after matching a Rangers-low .217 in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. They scored an AL-low 625 runs, their fewest in a full 162-game season since 1994.

Wakamatsu, the former Seattle manager and bench coach for Kansas City when the Royals won the 2015 World Series, finished the fourth season of his second stint with the Rangers while working with each of the team's last four managers. He was also on the staff from 2003-06.

The rest of Woodward's staff is expected to return in 2022: co-pitching coaches Doug Mathis and Brendan Sagara, third base coach Tony Beasley, first base coach/field coordinator Corey Ragsdale, catching coach Bobby Wilson, and run prevention coordinator Brett Hayes. But some of their specific roles and responsibilities could change before next season.
strider98
fc2112
Rangers prospects playing Arizona Fall League: Justin Foscue, 2B (No. 4/MLB No. 83); Sam Huff, C/1B (No. 5/MLB No. 91); Ezequiel Duran, 2B/SS (No. 7); Owen White, RHP (No. 29); Tim Brennan, RHP; Eudrys Manon, RHP; Spencer Mraz, RHP
J.P. 03
AG
I think I speak for all of us when I say....we had a coordinator of run production?!?!?
DallasAg 94
J.P. 03 said:

I think I speak for all of us when I say....we had a coordinator of run production?!?!?
Must have been in title only.
alvtimes
LMAO @ Rangers management..... firing a bench coach after compiling a AA roster that lost 102.... Ya'll lost on purpose..... why is anyone getting fired??????
powerbelly
AG
Another year without Rangers on YouTube tv according to reports today. So at least I can't watch bad baseball.
fc2112
powerbelly said:

Another year without Rangers on YouTube tv according to reports today. So at least I can't watch bad baseball.

Yes but supposedly the Bally Sports app is gonna be available.
PatriotAg02
AG
fc2112 said:

powerbelly said:

Yes but supposedly the Bally Sports app is gonna be available.

Yeah I'm out of state so haven't been able to really watch the last couple of years. Do we have any shot of being .500+ next year??
KT 90
AG
I haven't read much from this author previously, but here is a pretty good off-season writeup on the Rangers and their willingness to spend and the potential free agent SS's that are available.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/can_the_rangers_really_land_a_big_name_shortstop_in_free_agency/s1_16757_36131237?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20211014&mb_loc=right_h

PatAg
AG
We're going to suck again, and be unwatchable.
New stadium is nice in person though.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

I haven't read much from this author previously, but here is a pretty good off-season writeup on the Rangers and their willingness to spend and the potential free agent SS's that are available.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/can_the_rangers_really_land_a_big_name_shortstop_in_free_agency/s1_16757_36131237?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20211014&mb_loc=right_h

You could have taken the following article from Dec 6, 2019 ...refreshed the date... and saved all the editorial time.

Still don't have a 3B. Still don't have SP.

Daniels, Rangers gearing up for major additions
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

You could have taken the following article from Dec 6, 2019 ...refreshed the date... and saved all the editorial time.

Still don't have a 3B. Still don't have SP.

Daniels, Rangers gearing up for major additions

Yeah, but I thought this author was at least realistic through with comments questioning the Rangers commitment to winning here lately, such as:

"But is it realistic that the Rangers could land one of these five guys? Or is it just a pipe dream? After all, this team did just lose 102 games."

There were other comments he threw in, but he didn't seem to take the recent Ranger talk of being spenders as a sure thing.

South Platte
Just move the franchise to Tennessee already. Utter filth from top to bottom.
Mr Gigem
AG
Thanks Levi

For those don't feel like clicking. All teams made a post about standing against bullying, and all but Rangers and Astros included LGBTQ+, and now the keyboard warriors are up in arms
TXAggie2011
AG
Levi is right where he says the Rangers managed to trip over a low bar here.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Thanks Levi

For those don't feel like clicking. All teams made a post about standing against bullying, and all but Rangers and Astros included LGBTQ+, and now the keyboard warriors are up in arms
Levi fails to see the Bullying he and others do by demanding compliance to their message, or face backlash.

Bullying is bad regardless of the perpetrator or the target group.

Good for the Rangers and Astros to stand against ALL Bullying and not just select groups.

See: Dave Chappell's new show.
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

Levi is right where he says the Rangers managed to trip over a low bar here.
"You will comply with the message I give you, or I will attack you." /Levi
bigcat22
AG
Why is it always one group that complains when they aren't specifically mentioned in stuff like this. The tweet was a positive message about overall inclusion, I'm not seeing other "marginalized" groups complaining here…
BCSWguru
Do what we say or else!!!!

Also noticed he disabled comments on his Athletic article blasting the Rangers. Typical of bullies. And fitting.
JWinTX
If I were the Rangers, I'd make sure nobody ever gave him any interviews or information. Run him out of this town that isn't lib enough for him and let him go cover some CA team.
Legal Custodian
AG
After Ron Washington's interview on the Ticket just now, we need to hire him back. Such a good guy and super easy to root for
powerbelly
AG
Legal Custodian said:

After Ron Washington's interview on the Ticket just now, we need to hire him back. Such a good guy and super easy to root for
Baseball was so much fun with Wash.
AgBQ-00
AG
Just hoping we get to see good baseball next year. This year was such a beating. May be a lifetime low of games watched for me.
powerbelly
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Just hoping we get to see good baseball next year. This year was such a beating. May be a lifetime low of games watched for me.
Bally made that choice for me and it looks like they are going to do it again.
Mr Gigem
AG
I feel pretty confident this team will be much better in 2022
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

I feel pretty confident this team will be much better in 2022
That's a pretty low bar. 60-102. You would like to think it wouldn't take much.

Something to think about... Signing any of these players:

Definite QO:
Quote:

Likely QO:
Quote:

Rangers would lose their 2nd and 5th highest picks if they sign 1. They'd lose their 3rd and 6th Rounders.

So, they are stuck.

If the Rangers sign Story, Kershaw, and/or Noah... let's say they sign 2 of those... they'd lose their #2, #3, #5, and #6 picks.

For what?! a .500 season?!

I think the Rangers will add incremental mid-tier talent. Players that will improve the lineup, but nothing WOW.

Also, I think the Dodgers have given reason why JD doesn't like going after big money FA SPs. Bauer, Kershaw, and Price ($16M of his $32M was paid by Dodgers) represent almost $90M in SP that didn't pitch in this post-season.
wbt5845
AG
I'm making the bold prediction the Mets don't make a QO to Syndergaard. Their payroll is sky high already and you gonna promise a guy who threw one inning this year $18.9 million in 2021?

Conforto, Yes. Syndergaard? Not when your payroll is already north of $150 MM.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

I'm making the bold prediction the Mets don't make a QO to Syndergaard. Their payroll is sky high already and you gonna promise a guy who threw one inning this year $18.9 million in 2021?

Conforto, Yes. Syndergaard? Not when your payroll is already north of $150 MM.
It's a gamble.

Would he, at 29, accept a QO of $18.9M?
Will someone sign Syndergaard for $50M+

He'll likely want at least 3 years getting him to 32-33. That's $17M per for a 3yr.

Mets get a pick between 1st Rd and Competitive Balance. Is it worth risking $18.9M to get a better than #2 pick?!
wbt5845
AG
It's a tough call. If the Mets think they can compete next year, maybe it's worth it. But can they?

Guess that's why these baseball execs make such good $
Mr Gigem
AG
This feels slanderous

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/naacp-calls-athletes-sign-texas-teams-voting-abortion/story?id=80827394&cid=social_twitter_abcn
BCSWguru
if they'll let some political crap keep them from playing in Texas while not paying state income tax and being in the best state/country ever, then they're probably a headache not worth putting up with anyway.
wbt5845
AG
As if the black players from the Caribbean give a *****..
wbt5845
AG
Bob Melvin to San Diego. Good for us.
KT 90
AG
SN is not the most prominent organization anymore, but it's still an award:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.