**** Joey Gallo's Quest for the All-Time Strikeout Record: The Official Thread *****

65,617 Views | 672 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J.P. 03
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2021 is a year of rebirth, a year of getting things back to normal, and a year of hope. The hope that Joey Gallo can stay healthy and the Rangers can keep from trading him. If those two things happen, this is the year that Joey Gallo sets his sights on history. The all-time single season MLB strikeout record of 223, held by Arizona legendary whiffer Mark Reynolds, and set in 2009.

I know what you're thinking right now. Wait a minute, Bib, I thought Nolan Ryan held the strikeout record? That's where you've got it twisted. That's the good strikeout record, the one for pitchers who are awesome, like Nolan, Bob Feller, Randy Johnson, and Sandy Koufax.

This is the record for strikeouts by a batter. It means that not only are you making an out, you can't even get the bat on the ball and hit it somewhere. That's a special talent.

The long, proud history of the strikeout has many names attached to it. Reggie Jackson is the all-time leader with more than 2,500 of them! Of course he also hit 563 home runs and won the World Series 5 times. Reggie's all-time high was 171. Gallo might get there by the All-Star break.

For the longest time, the name to look up to as the strikeout standard was Bobby Bonds, who whiffed 189 times in 1970. Bonds, whose son eventually had a head the size of the Goodyear Blimp, held that record for a remarkable 34 years until New Caney's own Adam Dunn topped it in 2004 when he reached 195. That started a free-for-all battle royale of the game's ****tiest hitters as Ryan Howard took it to 199 in 2007 and Mark Reynolds broke 200 with 204 in 2008.
Reynolds knew there would be challengers to his throne so he went a step further in 2009, elevating it to 223 strikeouts. 223 strikeouts in 578 at-bats. He also had 150 hits that year and 44 home runs, and even hit .260! he struck out 38.6% of the time he was up, and had more strikeouts (223) than ground outs and fly outs and foul outs combined (205).

They've come after him since then, they always want to topple the king from the throne, don't they? Adam Dunn reached 222 in 2011, trying his very best, with 9 strikeouts in his last 4 games, but he couldn't quite make it. Chris Davis struck out 219 times in 2016, a year where I think he hit like .077 for the season.

Now it's Gallo's turn. He's got 40 strikeouts in the Rangers' first 27 games. That puts him on pace for 240 strikeouts. Join in the celebration, root along with Joey as he pads literally every pitcher's stats. It's going to be a great summer!

EastSideAg2002
He'll never stay healthy enough to reach such a historic milestone.
Trucker 96
OP caught his girl going to town with her rfpd with pics of Gallo on her phone
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well, gang, I just made a stunning discovery. This strikeout chase just turned into the Summer of '98 here. I still think Joey Gallo is the Mark McGwire in this narrative, mostly because he's white and has probably used steroids at some point, but I came to the startling revelation a few minutes ago that there's a Sammy Sosa equivalent in the mix.

His name is Eugenio Suarez, he plays for the Reds, and he's actually got FORTY THREE strikeouts this year through 26 games. This SOB had already recorded the Golden Sombrero 3 times this year. His stats are so awful he makes Gallo look like ****ing Stan Musial. He's 12 for 92 for a batting average of .130, an on-base percentage of .229, and a "slugging" percentage of .304.

The Reds were off today so Suarez is on pace for 268 strikeouts this year.

Gallo has struck out twice tonight through 6 innings with the Sox, so he's up to 42. Hopefully he can get a couple more ABs and get the lead back from Suarez.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
A third strikeout for Gallo tonight, he's tied Suarez at 43. Strap in boys, it's going to be a helluva ride.
Poot
One true outcome analytics at work...
gigem1223
Can't ever imagine myself as a Texas Rangers fan to be so obsessed with a Houston Astros player that I would track their stats every game. The complex is real.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I can't imagine being a Rangers' fan period.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joltin' Joey Gallo struck out 2 times today vs. the Red Sox to get to 45 on the year. He's on pace for 251.

Suarez from the Reds couldn't handle the pressure of suddenly having that big maroon TexAgs spotlight on him. He only struck out once and accidentally went 3-for-5. He's up to 44 strikeouts in 27 games, putting him on pace for 264 strikeouts.

It's like having a front-row seat to Mantle v. Maris II.
Carlo4
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I can't imagine being a Rangers' fan period.

I guess if following Gallo is the only exciting thing for Astros fans, then your year is as good as ourszz
redline248
AG
As a baseball fan, not just a fan of the Astros, Gallo fascinates me. He's treated as some generational star, but he's pretty bad at hitting the ball. When he does hit it, it tends to go far...but HALF his at bats end with him walking back to the dugout as the ball is whipped around the horn.
SW-14
AG
Martin Maldonado would probably be in the hunt if he played full time. His SO% is 41.4%, compared to Gallo's at 38.5%. And at least Gallo has a pretty healthy .402 OBP compared to Maldonado's .171.
toucan82
I actually quite enjoy this bit. I hope Mr. Fortuna can follow through all season.
JABQ04
AG
Maldy v Gallo. That would be a hell of a race.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The latest:
Eugenio Suarez: 44 strikeouts in 27 games, on pace for 264 strikeouts
Joey Gallo: 47 strikeouts in 30 games, on pace for 254 strikeouts

Last night's action: Joey Gallo came out swinging (literally) with 2 strikeouts in his first two at-bats last night, running his total to a league-best 47 on the year. Then he got 2 hits and one of them was a homer! That's 3 home runs for the big guy, and it's only May 4!

Joey's Corner: I love his strategy of really padding the stats early. You don't want to be getting to September 1st at like 190 strikeouts and have to dig deep and find that extra gear to strikeout 25 or 30 times in the last month of the year. Think how tired he's going to be from swinging so many times by then. Plus the sheer pressure of the chase. All the interviews, the paparazzi, the groupies in the hotel lobby. Roger Maris literally started losing his hair when he chased down the Babe, and that was 60 years ago! Maris hadn't even gotten on Instagram yet and was only tweeting to tell people to remember to smoke cigarettes to calm their nerves. Rangers are back at it tonight at Minnesota with former Astros ****-up J.A. Happ on the mound against them.

Bonus Material: Gallo's 40 strikeouts in April was incredible, I'm not trying to diminish that. But it's actually a little behind what he's capable of. His first month of the season way back in June 2015, he struck out 43 times in 87 at-bats. In May 2017, he struck out 45 times in 94 at-bats. In May 2018, he struck out 46 times in 98 at-bats. Seeing how it's May 4, that's really exciting. He might be stealing Dave Winfield's old title of Mr. May.

The Interloper: After a day off, the Reds and Eugenio Suarez are at home vs the White Sox. Gallo has a 3-K lead over Suarez now, and Suarez's game starts 2 hours ahead of Gallo's, so Joltin' Joey will know exactly what he needs to do to keep the lead now.

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Are you going to also track his BBs and his OBP? He currently leads the AL in BBs and is 8th in the AL in OBP. One Astro, Gurriel, is one spot ahead if him with guys like Trout, Guerrero, and Martinez in the top 3 spots.

Look at the whole picture. He's obviously not getting much to hit so teams respect his power. He's trying to put the ball in play while getting walked quite a bit. I'm not saying he isn't a strikeout machine, but I think this year may be different. He may lead the league in walks and Ks by the end of the year. 2/3 of the "one true outcome."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Are you going to also track his BBs and his OBP? He currently leads the AL in BBs and is 8th in the AL in OBP. One Astro, Gurriel, is one spot ahead if him with guys like Trout, Guerrero, and Martinez in the top 3 spots.

Look at the whole picture. He's obviously not getting much to hit so teams respect his power. He's trying to put the ball in play while getting walked quite a bit. I'm not saying he isn't a strikeout machine, but I think this year may be different. He may lead the league in walks and Ks by the end of the year. 2/3 of the "one true outcome."
You're not getting the point of this thread.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm certainly getting the point of it. You're mocking Joey Gallo and Rangers fans because he strikes out frequently. We get it, you're an Astros fan. That's great. This is just typical Astros fan dick measuring.
Buck Compton
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm certainly getting the point of it. You're mocking Joey Gallo and Rangers fans because he strikes out frequently. We get it, you're an Astros fan. That's great. This is just typical Astros fan dick measuring.
Someone's testy. Too bad Odor left, he could have given you a hand with that.

Surely we can all appreciate some humor in all this! Here's a Rangers fan doing a great impression of Gallo:
https://instagr.am/p/COdiIOwhpr3
ClutchCityAg
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I have him on my fantasy team, luckily it is an OBP league. But damn it I didnt draft Joey Gallo for the walks, we need some dingers!

He is chasing less pitches out of the zone this year but has also been barreling less balls in the zone.

The fact that he can strike out so much and still be productive is pretty impressive. Lighting up a bit man, its gonna be a long season for the rangers so try to have some fun!
Let it ride
Prosperdick
AG
Buck Compton said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Someone's testy. Too bad Odor left, he could have given you a hand with that.

Surely we can all appreciate some humor in all this! Here's a Rangers fan doing a great impression of Gallo:
https://instagr.am/p/COdiIOwhpr3
Who else was scared that the poor dog was going to accidentally take one in the head.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I didn't mock the Ranger fans until your buddy gigem came out swinging. I have many fond memories of going to Ranger games between 89-93 to see Nolan pitch and thought the Ballpark at Arlington was a magnificent place to see a ballgame.

If you can't laugh at a guy on pace to strikeout 250 times in a season, ask for a sense of humor for Christmas or check out my 18+ year history of mocking the Texans while also being a fan of theirs.
tjack16
AG
This isn't about Astros hating rangers. I'm an Astros fan and my brother and I still make fun of how many times Chris Carter struck out in 2013 and wanted him to break the record. The team sucked and there wasn't much else to root for
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Joltin' Joey Gallo: 48 strikeouts in 31 games. Pace: 251
Eugenio Suarez: 44 strikeouts in 28 games. Pace: 255

Despite Rangers manager ... I had to look it up - Dave Woodward. Good god, this guy is 2 years younger than me. Anyway, despite Dave Woodward's attempt to throw Boss Gallo off his stride by dropping him to 5th in the order tonight, our main man overcame the shakeup and continue the streak, going 1 for 5 with 1 strikeout to run his season total to 48 for the year. Joey has now struck out at least once in 14 straight games. The last time he didn't strike out in a game was April 14.

He's got a lot of work to do if he wants that record. Aaron Judge struck out in 37 straight games in the 2017 season.

Suarez lost more ground even though the Reds have played 3 fewer games. He somehow avoided striking out in a 9-0 loss. He also got dropped to 5th in the lineup, making me speculate that perhaps Gallo and Suarez, like Kylo Ren and Rey, are actually a dyad in the Force, perhaps created by Rob Deer. Sorry, the Star Wars May 4th celebration always gets me rambling.
The Anchor
AG
This thread is the sole reason I check this board daily. Keep up the good work! I find it hilarious despite being a Braves, Astros, and Rangers fan.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey Gallo's 14-game strikeout streak came crashing to a halt Wednesday night as he went 0-for-3 with a walk and an RBI in the Rangers' win over the Twinkies. The RBI was his 12th of the year, getting him into a tie for 109th in the majors. His average dipped to .225. WIth the failure to whiff, Boss Gallo's pace dropped to 243 strikeouts for the year, still 20 ahead of the record, but you can't play around with stuff like this. The good news is he can bounce back quickly today as the Rangers take on the Twins at 12:10 p.m. CDT.

Eugenio Suarez of the Reds went 0 for 3 and did managed a strikeout to reach 45 in 29 games. He's on pace for 251 strikeouts. Incredibly, he and Gallo are tied for 109th with 12 RBI apiece. That's some next level conspiracy stuff there, like all the Kennedy/Lincoln similarities.

Before too long you'll find out that Gallo once lived on Suarez Street growing up and Eugenio lived on Joey Blvd. The Reds also decided to start Suarez at shortstop instead of third base on Wednesday. Makes perfect sense. I know when I'm hitting .140 for the season, I want to be moved to a different position where the ball is going to be hit to me a billion times a game. Proof positive that the Reds are ready to mail in this season on May 6. The Reds have the day off, which means if Joltin' Joey could drop a 3 or 4 strikeout performance he could really start putting the pressure on Suarez to keep up.

Proposition Joe
Another strikeout today...
Proposition Joe
...along with a solo homerun and game-saving catch in the outfield.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey Gallo got back on track Thursday afternoon with a late-inning strikeout against the Twins, snapping a frigid 6 at-bat streak without a K.

"I had tightened up," the Rangers' superstar admitted after the game. "When you start to struggle and the ball keeps hitting your bat, you forget about how good those pure swings feel where there's nothing but air whistling by and the cheers of the opposing team's crowd."

The strikeout was Gallo's 49th of the year. He's on pace for 241 this season, 18 ahead of the 2009 record set by Mark Reynolds.

Gallo was 1 for 4 on the day with a home run, his second in three days.

"It caught me by surprise because usually when I swing that hard, all you hear is the 'whump' noise of the ball hitting the catcher's mitt," Gallo told the FBF Network via Zoom after the game. "That loud 'crack' noise scared the hell out of me. I turned towards (Twins' catcher) Ben Rortvedt and he showed me the empty glove. He said, 'I'm just as surprised as you are, bro.'"

Rumors that Gallo had to be shown what order to run the bases could not be substantiated because no one was watching the game on TV or in person.

Gallo returns home tonight to begin an apocalyptic battle against the Seattle Mariners and starting pitcher Chris Flexen, who sounds like a fictional exercise trainer.

His main competition for the strikeout record, Cincinnati's Eugenio Suarez, had the day off, but struck out 17 times playing Wiffle Ball with neighborhood kids. Major League Baseball is reviewing whether those strikeouts count on his season stats or not. Suarez, with 45 whiffs in 29 games, remains on pace for 251 strikeouts entering tonight's matchup at Cleveland.

wangus12
AG
Its posts like these that remind me you write for a living
toucan82
Not to nitpick too much, butt Suarez has been playing SS all season. They moved Moustakas to 3B from 2B because they wanted to put Jonathan India at 2B after he did well in spring training. India currently has a healthy .222/.314/.333 triple slash

That ends today's Reds lineup digression
Carlo4
AG
Proposition Joe said:

...along with a solo homerun and game-saving catch in the outfield.
And leads the league in walks, but definitely no where close to the historic rate of Barry Bonds.
Carlo4
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Joey Gallo got back on track Thursday afternoon with a late-inning strikeout against the Twins, snapping a frigid 6 at-bat streak without a K.

"I had tightened up," the Rangers' superstar admitted after the game. "When you start to struggle and the ball keeps hitting your bat, you forget about how good those pure swings feel where there's nothing but air whistling by and the cheers of the opposing team's crowd."

The strikeout was Gallo's 49th of the year. He's on pace for 241 this season, 18 ahead of the 2009 record set by Mark Reynolds.

Gallo was 1 for 4 on the day with a home run, his second in three days.

"It caught me by surprise because usually when I swing that hard, all you hear is the 'whump' noise of the ball hitting the catcher's mitt," Gallo told the FBF Network via Zoom after the game. "That loud 'crack' noise scared the hell out of me. I turned towards (Twins' catcher) Ben Rortvedt and he showed me the empty glove. He said, 'I'm just as surprised as you are, bro.'"

Rumors that Gallo had to be shown what order to run the bases could not be substantiated because no one was watching the game on TV or in person.

Gallo returns home tonight to begin an apocalyptic battle against the Seattle Mariners and starting pitcher Chris Flexen, who sounds like a fictional exercise trainer.

His main competition for the strikeout record, Cincinnati's Eugenio Suarez, had the day off, but struck out 17 times playing Wiffle Ball with neighborhood kids. Major League Baseball is reviewing whether those strikeouts count on his season stats or not. Suarez, with 45 whiffs in 29 games, remains on pace for 251 strikeouts entering tonight's matchup at Cleveland.

This is the type of outstanding commitment I like to see. Well done!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
wangus12 said:

Its posts like these that remind me you write for a living
If I could put the effort into my writing for a living that I put into my TexAgs' posts, I'd have 4-5 Pulitzers by now.
Farmer1906
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.