**** Joey Gallo's Quest for the All-Time Strikeout Record: The Official Thread *****

65,786 Views | 672 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J.P. 03
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking it must be a modern(ish) player so I am going with Sosa
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
rdunham98 said:

Thinking it must be a modern(ish) player so I am going with Sosa
Quote:

I referenced the Golden Sombrero last night. Joey Gallo has achieved this masterful feat 17 times in his short, storied career. That ties him for 11th in MLB history with Sammy Sosa and Rob Deer.
Um... nope.

Reynolds is 8th with 18
Bo Jackson and Adam Dunn are tied for 6th at 19 and damn, Bo Jackson only had 3-4 full seasons, so that is pretty god awful.

Jim Thome is 5th with 20.

#1 has 27 and is retired
#2 has 26 and is active
#3 has 23 and is retired
#4 has 21 and is active.

RED AG 98
AG
Well I am idiot
Farmer1906
AG
Miggy has to be one of the active.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Miggy has to be one of the active.
Nay.

Also I just got to watch Joey Gallo strike out live on TV. What a rush!
Breggy Popup
AG
Is Chris Davis one?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sorry, I meant to write the answer last night.

Most Golden Sombreros:

#1 Ryan Howard 27
#2 Chris Davis 26 (you can do it!)
#3 Reggie Jackson 23
#4 Giancarlo Stanton 21

Sammy Sosa, Ray Lankford, and Aaron Judge are the only players with more than 2 platinum sombreros in a career.

Pehaps the greatest date in baseball history came on June 18, 2019, when JD Martinez of the Sox and Miguel Sano of the Twins recorded platinum sombreros in the same game, a 17-inning affair. Martinez went 0 for 8 and Sano went 0 for 7.

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Sorry, I meant to write the answer last night.

Most Golden Sombreros:

#1 Ryan Howard 27
#2 Chris Davis 26 (you can do it!)
#3 Reggie Jackson 23
#4 Giancarlo Stanton 21

Sammy Sosa, Ray Lankford, and Aaron Judge are the only players with more than 2 platinum sombreros in a career.

Pehaps the greatest date in baseball history came on June 18, 2019, when JD Martinez of the Sox and Miguel Sano of the Twins recorded platinum sombreros in the same game, a 17-inning affair. Martinez went 0 for 8 and Sano went 0 for 7.

I feel pretty confident that even I could go 0 for 8 in a game. Where do I sign up?
Mathguy64
AG
Judge went 8 straight Ks in a double header.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In 1989, John Shelby of the Dodger went 0 for 10 in a 22-inning loss to the Astros.

Game ended on Rafael Ramirez's RBI single off the glove of first baseman ... Fernando Valenzuela in the bottom of the 22nd. Dodgers' third baseman Jeff Hamilton took the loss on the mound in the only pitching outing of his career. He struck out Ken Caminiti swinging.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU198906030.shtml
halfastros81
AG
LOL. Broke his frigid 0 for 6 streak without a K.

Unrelated to the strikeout thing but this is the first yr that I have actually realized that Gallo is a pretty decent outfielder and has an absolute cannon for an arm.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
We need to talk about Joey. He's lost his way. He's slumping.

Friday night, Joey Gallo failed to strike out for a second consecutive game. He has only 1 strikeout in the last three games. And he hit a home run from here to Bolivia on top of that. He's hitting .212, good for 146th in the majors. That troubles me. If pitchers start not being able to get this guy out 80+% of the time, they're going to start throwing him fewer and fewer pitches that he will swing at, which is basically everything that doesn't bounce before it reaches home.

At the time of this writing, Javier Baez has tied Joey for the MLB lead in strikeouts with 77, and the Cubs are only in the bottom of the fifth inning against the Giants. Joey Rooster could very well wake up tomorrow morning, or more likely, tomorrow afternoon, no longer in first place in strikeouts. This is the first time all year he hasn't struck out in consecutive games. His pace for the season is down to an uninspiring 211 strikeouts, which would barely even be career high, and nowhere near the Reynoldsian effort we're all hoping to see come September.

I'm trying to keep my head up. But on nights like these, I just don't know if Joe Joe SiGal has got it in him.

Friday night update:

Eugenio Suarez 1 K tonight, 73 on the season.

Matt Chapman 0 K tonight, 74 on the season

Javier Baez 1 K tonight, 77 on the season

Joey Gallo, 0 K tonight, 77 on the season
Chrundle the Great
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

We need to talk about Joey. He's lost his way. He's slumping.

Friday night, Joey Gallo failed to strike out for a second consecutive game. He has only 1 strikeout in the last three games. And he hit a home run from here to Bolivia on top of that. He's hitting .212, good for 146th in the majors. That troubles me. If pitchers start not being able to get this guy out 80+% of the time, they're going to start throwing him fewer and fewer pitches that he will swing at, which is basically everything that doesn't bounce before it reaches home.

At the time of this writing, Javier Baez has tied Joey for the MLB lead in strikeouts with 77, and the Cubs are only in the bottom of the fifth inning against the Giants. Joey Rooster could very well wake up tomorrow morning, or more likely, tomorrow afternoon, no longer in first place in strikeouts. This is the first time all year he hasn't struck out in consecutive games. His pace for the season is down to an uninspiring 211 strikeouts, which would barely even be career high, and nowhere near the Reynoldsian effort we're all hoping to see come September.

I'm trying to keep my head up. But on nights like these, I just don't know if Joe Joe SiGal has got it in him.

Friday night update:

Eugenio Suarez 1 K tonight, 73 on the season.

Matt Chapman 0 K tonight, 74 on the season

Javier Baez 1 K tonight, 77 on the season

Joey Gallo, 0 K tonight, 77 on the season

Sobering read. Really hope he pulls it together.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey Gallo was good Saturday night, but Javier Baez was better.

Joseph Gallo Vera soothed his fans with a pair of strikeouts against Tampa to run his total to 79 on the season. But Baez racked up his second hat trick in the last four games to be the first man to 80 strikeouts on the year. Gallo might be the Alan Shepard of this deal, but for right now, Suarez is the bonafide Yuri Gagarin.

Baez is truly having a June to remember. With his efforts Saturday night he is now 2 for 19 this month for a marvelous .105 batting average and 10 strikeouts. In fact, starting now, strikeout rate is the new batting average for this guy.

Baez's KAVG for June is a fantastic .526 (10 Ks in 19 AB). That's phenomenal.

By comparison, Joey is 2 for 16 this month, but only has 6 strikeouts to show for it. That's a KAVG of only 0.375. That's not going to cut it with the stakes this high.

Here's a look at the KAVG leaders for the entire season.

Sano: .444 (64/ 144)

Niko Goodrum .419 (68/162) - Is there really a guy out there who's last name is Goodrum? Is he the patriarch of House Bacardi on Game of Thrones?

Joey: .411 (79 / 192)

Baez: .400 (80 / 200)

Chapman: .383 (74 / 193)

Adames: .367 (66 / 180)

Brandon Lowe: .359 (71 / 198)

Suarez: .349 (74 / 212)

redline248
AG
Quote:

Niko Goodrum .419 (68/162) - Is there really a guy out there who's last name is Goodrum? Is he the patriarch of House Bacardi on Game of Thrones?
He must not share with Jobu
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Neither Javier Baez nor Joey Gallo struck out Sunday, a rare double-nada in the business.

For now, Baez remains the only guy with 80 strikeouts on his resume.

The People's Champion is second with 79, Matt Chaman third at 77, and The Splendid Swiffer, Eugeni oSuarez leads the NL with 74. Creeping up in the rear-view mirror is the potential Maris to Gallo's Mantle, Nate Lowe, now at 74 whiffs.

Some interesting Joey Stats while I have your attention.

With the count 0-2, Joey is hitting .043 with 20 strikeouts in 23 at-bats. That is the best thing I've ever read in my entire life.

He has struck out 10 times in 14 at bats against the Red Sox this year.

RED AG 98
AG
I am reminded of this all-time doozy of a stat:

That was 2019. Now in 2021, our protagonist's 7th year in The Show, he still has only this single sac fly to his credit. Just a tremendous feat for a fly-ball power hitter.
toucan82
I hope the league cracking down on pitchers doctoring the ball for a few weeks doesent ruin this chase for the record books
TarponChaser
Joey Gallo is a symbol of all that is wrong in baseball today.
RED AG 98
AG
He's not been traded to the Yankees yet
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Baez's next strikeout will be the 850th of his career and get him into the top 500 of all time. Get to work, Jo Jo!
ClutchCityAg
Keep an eye on Keston Hiura for the future. Striking out at an unbelievable pace. The Brewers tried to slow him down by sending him to AAA, but he has come back with a vengeance with 16 K's in 11 games since coming back up.

Serious potential, just being held back by playing time concerns as any young player.
Let it ride
Chrundle the Great
AG
https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/.amp/news/report-contending-team-particularly-interested-in-trading-for-rangers-gallo

This could change the race dramatically
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If the Padres trade for him, Tatis better get used to batting 5th. You don't ask the lead dog to start sniffing butts no matter what team he's on.
toucan82
I assumed Tatis would be part of the return in that trade
_lefraud_
AG
I doubt the Rangers have any interest in a 46 yr old Tatis, no matter how desperate 3B is.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
toucan82 said:

I assumed Tatis would be part of the return in that trade
Only way that's an even trade:

Padres receive: Joey Gallo

Rangers receive: Tatis, Machado, Trevor Hoffman, the Tony Gwynn statue, 1970s Dave Winfield. 1970s Ozzie Smith, Ron Burgundy, Dan Fouts, Jack Tripper, Bip Roberts, John Jefferson, Chuck Muncie, and Ted Williams Way in Poway is renamed Captain K Boulevard.

TarponChaser
RED AG 98 said:

That was 2019. Now in 2021, our protagonist's 7th year in The Show, he still has only this single sac fly to his credit. Just a tremendous feat for a fly-ball power hitter.

That just seems completely impossible. Like he's trying to not hit sac flies.
RED AG 98
AG
TarponChaser said:

RED AG 98 said:

That just seems completely impossible. Like he's trying to not hit sac flies.
Nothing is impossible with Gallo
wbt5845
AG
NM
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Arlington, we have a problem.
Joey Gallo has forgotten what his purpose in my life is. He didn't strike out again yesterday and is in serious jeopardy of falling into THIRD PLACE in the strikeout lead.

His saving grace was that the Cubs gave Javier Baez the day off, which is ridiculous because that guy is on FIRE lately.

But the As Matt Chapman had a whiff to get to 78, one behind The Rooster, and Eugenio Suarez and Nate Lowe each got one to to get to 75 and 74.

Joey was 1 for 2 with a dong in a 9-4 loss to the Giants. That's another thing that's bugging me - the Rangers are playing terribly, even by their own limited expectations - losing 11 of their last 12 - but Joey isn't even leading that charge. He's hitting a torrid .158 in June and only has 6 strikeouts in 7 games. Less than a strikeout per game, Joey? What else are you hiding from me? Have you secretly been taking extra swings in the cage? Is that why you've turned off the location tracker on your phone. ANSWER ME, JOEY!

Sorry, got away myself a little there. Silver lining, the Cubs, Rangers, and A's all have day games today.

Farmer1906
AG
The pressure of summer claims many of record chasers. Some people are made for the big moment. And some just aren't.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Looks like Gallo is getting the day off today.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The pressure of summer claims many of record chasers. Some people are made for the big moment. And some just aren't.
We believe in you, Joey! Don't lose faith, you were called for this greatness
Chrundle the Great
AG
I'm not used to following the rangers so I'm not ready to read "maybe next year" posts in mid-June. Get it together Joey!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.