**** Joey Gallo's Quest for the All-Time Strikeout Record: The Official Thread *****

65,773 Views | 672 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J.P. 03
strider98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He had the night off tonight and still struck out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
strider98 said:

He had the night off tonight and still struck out.
Mathguy64
AG
Dang. Wrong thread.
6-4-3
AG
Good grief. Whif.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well I'm finally back to my full-time Gallo watch after 11 days of R&R&Ah - Rest, relaxation, and hearing that England accent over and over.

Was at Chicago Midway for 90 minutes yesterday and talked baseball to a Chicago Cubs fan who told me he hates Baez's game so much he often clicks away from the game when he's up in any sort of critical situation. In the past few days, Javier Baez has proven mortal (he can also ground out and fly out), Matt Chapman has missed a few games, and that has allowed Joey K to make it a race again!

Baez has "only" 7 strikeouts in the past 7 games, but still leads the league with 130. His pace has dipped to 209 strikeouts for the year, 14 behind Mark Reynolds' all-time record, but a mark that would still be the 8th-most in a season all-time. His previous high for a season was 167 in 2018.

Matt Chapman cooled off after his Golden Sombrero a week ago, holding onto the AL lead by the slimmest or margins with 125. He's on pace for exactly 200 strikeouts this year. After a troubling June in which he hit .277, he's really locked in on discovering his identity, and enters the last week of July hitting .176 for the month. Somewhere, Eugenio Suarez is tipping his cap. Chapman has never had more than 147 strikeouts in a year, which came in 2019, so he's going to be setting a new career best in a few more weeks.

The Rooster has been pretty fantastic lately. He has 10 strikeouts in his last 6 games and is hitting a brisk .056 in that time period. Despite the Houston bullpen being the equivalent of Three Mile Island at times, Ser Gallohad went a perfect 0-for-8 with 4 strikeouts over the weekend before a well-deserved rest day Monday to tune up for the showdown of the season: the 35-65 Rangers hosting the 31-70 Diamondbacks. Baseball at its finest, and probably the best living example of why the league should contract 2-4 teams. Joey's recent surge has him on pace for 201 strikeouts for the year, which would allow him to become just the third player in history with two 200 K seasons. Mark Reynolds has three, God bless him, and Chris Davis has two.

I have to admit, I had my doubts about Joey after he only struck out 25 times in June and hit .263, which is like a regular player batting .550. But he's already up to 26 whiffs this month and 30 seems reachable, and that .185 batting average isn't fooling anybody, sort of the opposite of Joey, who apparently is getting fooled by everybody. In his last 30 at-bats, he has 2 hits, 2 walks, and 16 strikeouts.

Some further fascinating Galloanalysis:
When the count is 2-2, he's hitting .149 with FORTY FOUR strikeouts in 67 at-bats.
When the count is 0-2, he is 2-for-30 with 25 strikeouts. Man, that is so fantastic.

Of course no great update is complete without checking in on Eugenio Suarez, sitting fourth with 121 strikeouts, on pace for 196, and down to a batting average of .172. He's currently on pace for 99 hits in 575 at-bats and it's him vs. Baez toe-to-toe the next few nights. What's even better than that? The Reds are in the wildcard race, which means there's a possibility of this train wreck being on national TV in the playoffs.

A parting note on the all-time list, Justin Upton returned to action while I was on vacation and has climbed past Curtis Granderson to sit 10th all-time in strikeouts with 1,921.
If he stays healthy, he should finish 2021 in at least 7th place all time. He's just 6 whiffs behind Reynolds right now.

Baez is one strikeout short of 900 for his career. He passed Ken Griffey Sr yesterday, accomplishing in 8 seasons what it took Old Man Griffey 19 years to accomplish. Griffey struck out 84 times in 1977, a year in which he also hit .318 with 117 runs score, so I guess that's OK.

Meanwhile the Galllo Man is just four strikeouts short of 800 for his career, and is presently tied with Bobby Higginson and Bob Watson at 796 in 581st place.

I think this is probably the first time I've thought about Bobby Higginson in 20 years. He topped 100 strikeouts twice in his career, which was a surprisingly good one, 2 seasons over 100 RBI, four seasons over 25 homers. Higginson played for the Tigers from 1995 to 2005. At no point in those 11 seasons did the Tigers ever finish with a winning record, let alone make the playoffs. They lost more than 100 games 4 times in his career, including that fantastic 43-119 campaign in 2003 where their team ERA was 5.30 and their Saves leader had FIVE for the season. The year after Higginson retired, the Tigers won 95 games and went to the World Series.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BREAKING NEWS: Joey Gallo has struck out in the bottom of the first inning against Arizona to tie Matt Chapman for the AL lead in strikeouts at 125.
Faustus
He also hit a 3 run HR that was a dagger in the hearts of the Ranger's tanking efforts against the current best team in the league at tanking. That HR couldn't have come at a worse time. The Rangers really need to focus and find a way to lose the next two games or the Diamondbacks might have an insurmountable lead.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
He's overthinking things. He has to remind himself that you don't have to swing hard to strike out.
Farmer1906
AG

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Sweet Jesus. Him, Stanton, and Judge all striking out together. It's a Greek tragedy to see him lose the Rangers, who I consider the team with the best mindset for Joey, but all I really want is what's best for the Rooster.

The upside is I can stop looking at the Rangers' box scores.

I feel like making a video montage of him striking out as a Ranger set to "Wind Beneath My Wings" right now.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Matt Chapman with the hat trick Tuesday and two more today has tied Javier Baez for the MLB strikeout lead at 130.
redline248
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Matt Chapman with the hat trick Tuesday and two more today has tied Javier Baez for the MLB strikeout lead at 130.
This is going to be a race worthy of the Kentucky derby
Faustus
Decadent and depraved.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pour one out.

Corporal Punishment
AG
So happy he's gone. He represents so much I despise that baseball has become.
redline248
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

you hate plus defenders that take a lot of walks and hit homers?
strider98
redline248 said:

you hate plus defenders that take a lot of walks and hit homers?
and have one career sac fly and k like it's going out of style?
Corporal Punishment
AG

Yes

Especially ones that can't consistently put the bat on the ball and can only hit to one side of the field.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Matt Chapman has wrested the strikeout lead away from Javier Baez, whiffing twice last night to get to 132. He's struck out 7 times in the last 3 games.

Joey Gallo makes his Yankees' debut tonight at Miami. The Yankees will make history with the first-ever lineup sporting three guys who have struck out 200 times in a season.

Stanton struck out 211 times in 2018
Judge struck out 207 times in 2017
El Gallo Supremo struck out 207 times in 2018.

If the Yankees could just get ahold of Yoan Moncada and Chris Davis now, we'd really be talking.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Deadspin reading this thread?

https://deadspin.com/meet-the-bronx-breezes-yankees-are-now-a-whiff-a-paloo-1847389066
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Baez about to go from the Cubs to the Mets - him and Joey G in the same city?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31922264/sources-new-york-mets-finalizing-deal-chicago-cubs-javier-baez
Faustus
Gallo recorded a K in the first inning of his first game in pinstripes. Stanton added one too at his old stomping grounds to ease JG through it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Make it 2 whiffs for Joey in his pinstripes debut. Dozens of Marlins fans are getting their money's worth tonight.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Big news! Justin Upton has tied Mark Reynolds for 9th on the all-time strikeout list with 1,927. Upton might be 33, but he's striking out at a fantastic clip lately. He missed a month, but since July 22 he's got 12 K's in 9 games. His next target is a big one, literally - Willie Stargell at 1,936.

And don't look now, but creeping up towards the Top 10 himself is Miguel Cabrera, currently at 1,893. Detroit keeps rolling that guy out there I guess because they are paying him $30 million this year and he's rewarding them by striking out at least once per game.

The good news is that there's only four years left on Cabrera's contract, which takes him into the 2025 season when he'll be 42 years old. And he's only going to eat up $104 million in payroll in those 4 years.

Don't look now, but an actual good player is creeping up the leaderboard!

Shohei Ohtani has risen to 5th in strikeouts with 124 on the year. Granted he's also got 37 HR, 82 RBi, 240 TB, and a 1.051 OPS, but that's still a lot of whiffs. Frankly, I can't understand why he doesn't get intentionally walked every time up, especially with Mike Trout out, but he's Ohtani is also on my fantasy baseball team, I'm happy that isn't happening.

With two of our top four whiffers in new locations this weekend, here's what's going on.

1. Matt Chapman 134
2. Javier Baez 133
T-3 Eugenio Suarez / Joey Gallo 128

El Gallo Supremo has taken to the Big Apple like a cockroach to the subway, starting his Yankee career 0 for 8 with 3 strikeouts. A pretty brilliant July for Joey, 11-for-62 with 29 strikeouts for a .177 batting average. You read that line and you wonder if Steinbrenner's ghost is still running the show, who trades for this guy?

Suarez upstaged Jo-Jo See-Huh by hitting .172 in July. This guy is so phenomenally bad, he's bad everywhere.

vs lefties - .122
vs. righties .187 (on an undercover cop)
home - .158
road - .185
day - .170
night - .174

Among his best performances are:
vs. the Cardinals: 6 for 48 (.125) with 15 strikeouts
vs. the Brewers 4 for 51 (.078) with 19 strikeouts
vs. the Dodgers 0 for 10 (Blutarsky)
vs. the Indians 1 for 21 (0.48) with 8 strikeouts
vs. the Braves 1 for 11 (.091) with 7 strikeouts

The Reds have batted him in every position but #8 this season so far.

Joey G is now 1 strikeout short of 800, tied for 576th all-time with whoever the hell Frankie Crosetti is. Turns out he's a fellow Yankee by Rooster, active been 1932-1948 which means he probably had 13 World Series rings. Led the league with 27 steals one year, yikes.

redline248
AG
Quote:

Jo-Jo See-Huh
I'll bet few will get this reference
bluefire579
AG
Can't believe Upton is only 33, feels like he's been in the league for forever
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey's in rare form tonight. Yankees up 9-0, have 11 hits through 6 innings, but he's 0 for 3 with 2 whiffs.
Coby
AG
wrong thread
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Matt Chapman taking advantage of being the only of the Big 3 not traded last week has surged ahead to 138 strikeouts with 3 last night in the A's loss to the Padres. The A's have 54 games to go. He's on pace for 207 strikeouts.

Javier Baez is second with 135 strikeouts. The Mets have 56 games to go. He's on pace for 206. Can you say photo finish?

El Gallo Supremo (new from Taco Bell. Buy 2, get 61 free!) is a strong third at 133 whiffs. That has him on pace for 203 strikeouts after falling off the pace for a while.

The Big Three now kind of remind me of the Iron Man / Thor / Cap fight in The Avengers. You have no idea who's going to win, but you can't wait to see what's next.

On the all-time front, Justin Upton has risen to 1930. He's 6 behind Willie Stargell for 8th and 12 behind Jose Canseco for 7th. If he plays the rest of the Angels' games, first of all nobody would notice because his name isn't Ohtani, but if he did, and keep the same pace he's had so far, he's finish 2021 about 8 strikeouts short of 2,000, a mark only 6 men have ever had the balls to achieve.

Joey Magic Wrists is up to 569th alltime by the way, passing Von Hayes, Carlos Guillen, and Bobby Thomson yesterday.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
2 more this afternoon for Chapman. First one to 140 whiffs. Pace up to 208.
Farmer1906
AG
Baez with an epic 0-5 5K day. He's not giving up.
Mathguy64
AG
Nice. It's Olympic season so he wears some Olympic Rings.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Farmer1906 said:

strider98
Farmer1906 said:

The ultra-rare platinum sombrero!!!
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Record type performance

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.