**** Joey Gallo's Quest for the All-Time Strikeout Record: The Official Thread *****

65,767 Views | 672 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J.P. 03
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

But much like when Ultra Magnus tried to take the Matrix of Leadership for the Autobots after Optimus Prime's untimely death in the 1986 Academy Award winning movie, Transformers: The Movie, Garcia is finding that not so easy does the crown rest.

I forget this until someone like Fat Bib unknowingly picks off the scab but I am still so very bitter and hurt from this movie. How could they do that to Optimus? Why did they? Who are these writers that intentionally killed the hero of so many adolescent boys of the 80s? I want to hurt them back.
To sell us all the new toys of Ultra Magnus, Rodimus Prime, Hot Rod, Galvatron, Scourge, Arcee, Kup, Blurr, and all the rest of them.

I'll say it again, Optimus Prime dies from 20 blaster bolts to the gut, Megatron dies from getting hit by a rock and falling 30 feet. What the hell?
94chem
I was born in '72, and I have no idea what language y'all are speaking.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
strider98
Never actually saw the movie, but I did see the episode where Optimus comes back.
RED AG 98
AG
Let he who never stole an awkward gaze at She-Ra cast the first stone.
Chrundle the Great
AG

Baez might have missed some time, but he is not quitting on this race.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
2 more strikeouts tonight for Joey G - both looking. He's so locked in right now he's not even making the effort of swinging the bat.

He's up to 170 for the year. The pace is up to 218.6. In case you're not paying attention, the all-time record is 223 by Mark Reynolds. Adam Dunn holds the AL record with 222. I just noticed that Dunn led the league in walks and strikeouts that year. We don't have a definitive answer on how many times that has been done by one guy, but Joey G is on pace to do it this year. Joey's own career high is 207.

Yankees are up 5-3 in the bottom of the 8th vs Atlanta. If they hang on, they'll move to 22-4 with Joey Gallo, but certainly not because of Joey Gallo.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Assuming he's done for the night.Joey G is now hitting 143 as a Yankee, but his strikeout average is up to an insane .548. Great trade, Bronx Bombers!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Didn't realize the A's had a day game. Chapman had a hat trick to reach 163. His pace is back up to 208. Last time there two guys striking out 200 times in a year was 2018 - Yuan Moncada, Giancarlo Stanton, and Joey his ownself.
AustinAg2K
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

If they hang on, they'll move to 22-4 with Joey Gallo, but certainly not because of Joey Gallo.
Disagree. Confidence does a lot for a team, and facing Gallo every day in batting practice has really let the pitching staff build their confidence.
TarponChaser
I've been too busy to keep track but, has Gallo manage to add to his massive sac fly career total of 1 yet?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
He has not, and I found out yesterday he also has one career sacrifice bunt.
TarponChaser
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

He has not, and I found out yesterday he also has one career sacrifice bunt.

That's actually somewhat impressive in this era of baseball.
AustinAg2K
His one sac fly, combined with his terrible average and extremely high strikeouts, makes me wonder how much of his hitting is actually just luck. If he is just a selfish hitter who is always looking for a HR, but has enough talent to make contact, you would think maybe twice in his career he wouldn't hit a ball perfectly square with a runner on third and he'd end up lucking into a sac fly. However, if he's a hitter who has no idea what he's doing and basically just goes up there and closes his eyes and swings as hard as he can, it would make some sense that he never gets a sac fly. I haven't really watched his actual at bats much, but I wonder if he can only hit the ball when a pitcher makes a mistakes and leaves the ball over the middle of the plate. Basically, as long as a pitcher doesn't screw up, he's an out.

An experiment I would like to see would be to take a fairly athletic 6-5 average joe. Not a guy who has been sitting on the coach all day long, but not an NFL linebacker either. Just a big guy who is in good shape. Work with him every day for one year. I wonder how close he could come to Joey's numbers. I understand hitting an MLB pitcher is the hardest thing to do in sports, but it seems like Joey can't do it either. I feel like the Big Average Joe just needs to swing hard at every pitch. He's going to swing and miss nearly every time, but over the course of 162 games, I bet there are 100 times the pitcher makes a mistake and leaves an easy pitch over the plate. Could Big Average Joe take advantage of that 20 times? 30 times? It'd be interesting to see it tried.

Edit: for the purposes of this experiment I don't care about fielding, speed, etc. HRs only. Also, thinking about it more in the car, I realized I don't really know how they are coaching hitting these days. It seems like they don't care about hitting behind runners, etc, so it may be that there are some teams basically doing this experiment already.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Having a Wednesday off seems un-American.
Faustus
Tatis with the golden sombrero heading into the 16th. Granted in 7 ABs, but it's still more Ks than any other player in the pitchers' duel, and the two teams have combined for 32 strikeouts at the time of this post.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This thing with Eugenio Suarez really busts me up. Guy gives you the worst 4-1/2 months in MLB history and suddenly you treat him like dog meat because Mike Moustakas gets healthy?

Suarez only has 3 at-bats this week. He did manage to strike out Tuesday night as a pinch hitter, but I don't understand how you let a guy suck ass all year and then not let him ride out in historical glory with the worst batting average of all time and the chance to take the strikeout lead away from Javier Baez just sitting there.

He has kept his head up, though. When he's had the chance to get an at-bat, he's made the most of it, going 0 for his last 10. Got the ol' August average down to .149, but the overall average is still .171.

What's really bothering me is that he needs 502 plate appearances to qualify for the worst-average ever. Right now he's at 422 at-bats + 44 walks (who the **** is walking this guy?) + 6 HBP for a total of 472. The Reds have 34 games left and he's 30 plate appearances short of qualifying. I need a Reds' infield injury to happen soon or his shot at breaking Chris Davis's immortal record of hitting .168 are going to fail.

It's not really strikeouts, but with the Orioles on that hot streak by winning yesterday, I think it's worth keeping an eye on the chase to the #1 pick in the draft as well. Right now we've got

1. Baltimore: 39-86
2. Arizona 43-85
3. Texas: 44-82
4. Pittsburgh: 46-81

Going to have to keep a close eye come late September: Orioles host Texas 9/23-9/26 for four games.

Mr.Ackar07
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

What's really bothering me is that he needs 502 plate appearances to qualify for the worst-average ever. Right now he's at 422 at-bats + 44 walks (who the **** is walking this guy?) + 6 HBP for a total of 472. The Reds have 34 games left and he's 30 plate appearances short of qualifying. I need a Reds' infield injury to happen soon or his shot at breaking Chris Davis's immortal record of hitting .168 are going to fail.
Suarez is getting the rare start at 3rd today
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey G just rode the lightning with another strikeout looking to start the 2nd at Oaktown. This is it, him and Chapman head to head!

That strikeout bumps the pace up to 219.5.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey as a Yankee
85 at bats
12 hits
46 strikeouts

batting average: .141
true average: .541

His strikeout average is now 400 percentage points ahead of his batting average.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
FEAST OR FAMINE!

JOEY with the 3-run dong to put Yanks up 6-0. I love this guy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
As if I didn't already hate Aaron Judge enough, he just got thrown out trying to steal 2B with Joey Gallo at the plate, depriving him of another strikeout attempt. Please God let the A's tie this thing and send it to extras for some Gallo-demption.
Corporal Punishment
AG
And it was one of those bs "hold the glove on the runner while he pops up so replay can reverse the call" variety. Really hate that instant replay makes this a part of the game. Gallo had every right to add to his K total that AB. This sport is unrecognizable to me now.
redline248
AG
Oh, man. This makes me feel like a kid again. I give you, The Athletic's article on our loveable guy, the Big Donkey.

Quote:

"The way I am productive on the field is a lot different than a lot of people," Gallo, 27, told The Athletic recently. "If you evaluate me based on basic baseball statistics, I look like a terrible player. But the deeper analytics actually show that I'm a very valuable player.

"I think my whole career has been people misunderstanding me as a player. I think a lot of people think I'm just a big donkey, but I care a lot about being a really good baseball player and being intelligent on the field. I just have a pretty weird skill set."
Quote:

I hit my first home run at 8, 9 years old and I've just always had a knack for hitting the ball in the air," said Gallo, who hit a 419-foot three-run shot Thursday night in Oakland to help the Yankees extend their winning streak to 12. "It's different for every player. I don't think smaller guys who don't have power can get by with the hit-the-ball-in-the-air approach. It's just not going to work as well for them.
My favorite part, we have Ted Williams to thank
Quote:

The origin of Gallo's approach is as old school as it gets. He was coached from a young age on the tenets of Ted Williams' beliefs about what makes a hitter successful.

In his 1968 book "The Science of Hitting," Williams wrote that "the ideal swing is NOT level, and it's not DOWN." He explained that the plane of the swing path should match the plane on which a pitch is coming in toward the plate to get the most solid contact with the ball. He asserted that "the slight upswing is best."
Quote:

Gallo understands his style of play is drastic, and earlier in his career he tried to adapt to a more conventional approach.
I tried to change. I tried to move with the trend and I listened to people who would say, 'It's embarrassing you're striking out 40 percent of the time,' and I thought, 'I've gotta shorten up, I've gotta slap the ball on the ground,' and I ended up getting worse," Gallo said.

"After I struggled my first two years in the big leagues, I remember just pretty much looking in the mirror, and I couldn't really stand myself because I didn't even know what kind of player I was anymore."
Gallo hit .173/.281/.368 in 153 plate appearances between 2015 and 2016. He hit seven home runs and struck out 76 times.

"In 2017, I just said, 'I don't care at this point,'" Gallo said. "If I hit .180, if I never play anything again, I'm going to play the game the way I play the game. I ended up hitting 41 home runs and my OPS stayed near .870 the whole year and it worked. I hit .209, but I ended up being a highly productive player. So I thought, 'This might work. Maybe I need to make some tweaks here and there, but this is still productive.' I had to go through a lot of trials and tribulations to get to that point."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I hit my first home run at 8, 9 years old and I've just always had a knack for hitting the ball in the air," said Gallo,

Says the guy with one career Sacrifice Fly?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joey sets the tone early with a swinging strikeout. 13 games in a row with a whiff. Up to 172 for the season, 9 ahead of Chapman.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Two strikeouts tonight for The Big Donkey. He's got 173 in 127 games. That's a pace for 220.677 this year.

Matt Chapman also had 2 tonight. He's up to 165 in 128 games, on pace for 208.8.
Goldie Wilson
What's Gallo's 162 game pace based just on his time with the Yankees?
AustinAg2K
Goldie Wilson said:

What's Gallo's 162 game pace based just on his time with the Yankees?

Chrundle the Great
AG
AustinAg2K
No strike outs today and the Yankees lose... Coincidence? I think not.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just love that that the Yankees watched Joey Gallo all July, in which he went 11-for-66 (.167) while hitting 6 homers and striking out 30 times and thought to themselves - WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY!

And he's delivered exactly what he was showing off in July, going 14 for 88 (.159) with 5 home runs and 45 strikeouts! That's his season high in whiffs. If he can get 2 more in the next 3 days, it will be a new career high for a month - he has 46 in May 2018 when he wound up with 207 for the year. He also had 45 in May 2017. Look out Dave Winfield, there's a new Mr. May in town!

And here's another thing. I was pretty down on the fact that the Reds had largely shut down Eduardo Suarez keeping him from maybe getting to 505 plate appearances and having that godawful average.

Well the Big Donkey hit 505 last night - 406 at bats, 95 walks, 4 HBP. And he's currently only got 83 hits - that's right. - he's 83 for 406 (.204) on the year. He got 11 hits in July (6 HR) and 14 hits in August (5) home runs. If he doesn't get 17 hits in September (plus the last 3 days of August), homeboy might have complete season with less than 100 hits. That's so horrifyingly awesome.

The pace is down to 218 after last night's utter failure of a game. How does Joseph Jebediah Gallo go 0 for 4 without a strikeout? On the bright side, he has the average down to .204, making it very viable he's going to join that elite pantheon of guys who have more strikeouts than batting average points this year.

This is the lowest his average has been all year. He was scalding the ball to the tune of a .223 average, .379 OBP, .490 SLG, and .869 OPS on his last day with the Rangers. Since then his average has dropped 19 points, his OBP 19 points, his SLG 29 points, and his OPS 48 points. I could not be more proud of the marriage of Joey Gallo and the New York Yankees.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Two straight games without a strikeout. The lead down to 8 over Chapman. C'mon Donkey old buddy, don't let me down!
AustinAg2K
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Two straight games without a strikeout. The lead down to 8 over Chapman. C'mon Donkey old buddy, don't let me down!

Also two straight losses for the Yankees. Gallo has to decide if he's going to be a team player.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ser Gallo, Lord Commander of the Swingsguard, righted his ship with 2 strikeouts in the Yankees' loss to the Angels Monday night. He's up to 175 for the season and back on pace for 216.

More importantly, he broke his own single-month high for strikeouts with numbers 46 and 47.
Forty-seven strikeouts in 27 games is a rate of 1.74 whiffs per game. If he could harness that gigwatt power for an entire season, we'd be talking 282 strikeouts. He had the potential, but who is the manager to make it a reality?

I know it's unfair to keep comparing the Big Donkey to Tony Gwynn, it's sort of like comparing myself with Channing Tatum in a dance-off, but the Rooster's 47 strikeouts in August is 7 more than Tony Gwynn ever had in an entire season - and in that season, Tony Gwynn had 578 plate appearances.

On another note, the Reds decided "what the hell" and let Eugenio Suarez start yesterday. He delivered a signature 0 for 3 performance and is now hitting .169, just 1 point above Chris Davis's all-time worst batting average record. He's up to 483 plate appearances on the year. He only needs 22 more for his batting average to be official.

In our every once in a while look at the worst in the worst in the business, it appears the Orioles aren't fooling around with that first pick in the draft. After their 2-game hot streak, they've lost 4 straight to reach 90 losses first. It must really be something to think - we could win 32 games in a row to end the year, and our record would be 72-90.

Arizona is right behind them in the loss column at 89, but the Diamondbacks have won 44 games. Baltimore might not get 4 wins in September.

The Rangers are dragging ass in third with 85 losses. Remarkably, the Rangers have not lost 100 games since 1973, which is really pretty damn impressive. But they'll need to go at least 17-14 to avoid that perilous fate this year.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
King Donkey just got called out looking for #176. He's 0-for-3 through 6 innings, got the ol' average down to a season low .203!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.