*****Devil Rays vs. Dodgers - WS thread*****

18,015 Views | 279 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 07ag
The Lost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So pumped to go tomorrow with it 2-2
scrimp
AG
Cool. Even with reduced fans and neutral site, I'm sure that will be an awesome time...
Aggie09Derek
AG
Bregxit
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

He was the one dying over Lance's Chipotle delivery story in The Show tourney this summer...

kb2001
AG
birdman said:

You can have more than one error.

Outfield boot gave the base runner third base. Error 1.

Terrible relay throw gave the base runner home plate. Error 2.
An error is a fielding mistake that allows a runner to advance an extra base when he should not have. If the runner only gets 1 extra base, there can be only one error. He was getting to 3rd regardless of the booted play, the throw was going home. He made it home because of the catcher's mistake. The CF made a mistake, but nobody got an extra base because of it.
Sports-Ag
AG
Here is the live clip and the many different angles of the replay. What a fun and exciting game and finish.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I missed it live but have watched several replays. I am interested in 2 alternate scenarios.

If the ball that got through the catcher had hit the ump, is it still live and in play? Is the ump part of the field?

If the on-deck hitter had crossed the base line to celebrate before OA had touched home, would it have been some sort of interference and been an automatic out? It wasn't that close, OA was clearly touching home before that guy put his foot on the line, but if he had been a little quicker, he would have been the worst goat in sports history.
DallasAg 94
JABQ04
AG
Holy crap just saw the ending. That was amazing. I love baseball.
threeanout
AG
kb2001 said:

birdman said:

You can have more than one error.

Outfield boot gave the base runner third base. Error 1.

Terrible relay throw gave the base runner home plate. Error 2.
An error is a fielding mistake that allows a runner to advance an extra base when he should not have. If the runner only gets 1 extra base, there can be only one error. He was getting to 3rd regardless of the booted play, the throw was going home. He made it home because of the catcher's mistake. The CF made a mistake, but nobody got an extra base because of it.

Not all true, as an error doesn't necessarily mean a fielding mistake that allows a runner to advance an extra base. I agree that the runner was going from first to third regardless. However I don't think the throw was going home, the CF could have just lobbed it in to a cut off man.
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

If the ball that got through the catcher had hit the ump, is it still live and in play? Is the ump part of the field?
I thought it did hit the umpire. Anyways, I'm fairly certain with any thrown ball in which the umpire comes in contact with the ball, baserunner or fielder it is a live ball. The instance in which you see this fairly often is with wild pitches and passed balls.

Really fun ending to the game last night, unfortunately I opted for sleep when the effin' Dodgers regained the lead in the top of the seventh believing no matter what the Rays did LA would respond and win the game.

Quote:

If the on-deck hitter had crossed the base line to celebrate before OA had touched home, would it have been some sort of interference and been an automatic out? It wasn't that close, OA was clearly touching home before that guy put his foot on the line, but if he had been a little quicker, he would have been the worst goat in sports history.
Again not absolutely sure of the rule here or how it would work in this bang bang scenario but the with the winning run of Game 7 of the '91 series Twins players were crossing the base path on a sac fly (actually a single) before the winning run scored. However in this situation, it is obvious no play could have been made.
iBrad
AG
Phillips took second on the misplay by Taylor, so Taylor gets an error. It also allowed Arozarena the chance to try to score, but no error on Taylor for that because Arozarena fell down and was a sure out.

That's the only reason Smith got an error, too. Had Arozarena not fallen, that was going to be a very close play at home, and you never see an error on a catcher for trying to rush the tag on a bang-bang play and missing the ball.

For Smith to get an error, you have to be able to assume an out, and the only reason you can assume an out there is because Arozarena fell down.

But the blame has to fall on Taylor. If he fields the ball cleanly, it's 1st and 3rd with two outs and the game tied. Muncy also has to share blame, because his relay throw was not good. I give the least amount of blame to Smith. He didn't know the runner had fallen and was trying to make a backhanded catch and quickly reach back for what would have been a diving Arozarena.

I wish we could have seen it play out without Arozarena falling. That guy was flying around the bases and with the bad relay by Muncy, I think he had a chance to be safe.
BMX Bandit
(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder: (1) whose misplay (fumble, muff or wild throw) prolongs the time at bat of a batter, prolongs the presence on the bases of a runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, such fielder deliberately permits a foul fly to fall safe with a runner on third base before two are out in order that the runner on third shall not score after the catch;
MosesHallRAB04
AG
When did the dodgers trade for Gary Sanchez. Eesh.
LawHall88
AG
jkag89 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I thought it did hit the umpire. Anyways, I'm fairly certain with any thrown ball in which the umpire comes in contact with the ball, baserunner or fielder it is a live ball. The instance in which you see this fairly often is with wild pitches and passed balls.

Really fun ending to the game last night, unfortunately I opted for sleep when the effin' Dodgers regained the lead in the top of the seventh believing no matter what the Rays did LA would respond and win the game.

Quote:

Again not absolutely sure of the rule here or how it would work in this bang bang scenario but the with the winning run of Game 7 of the '91 series Twins players were crossing the base path on a sac fly (actually a single) before the winning run scored. However in this situation, it is obvious no play could have been made.

This is correct.
Ag12thman
AG
JABQ04 said:

Holy crap just saw the ending. That was amazing. I love baseball.
It's my favorite pro sport and not even close right now.
mwm
I really don't like the Rays. But I hate the Dodgers.
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

scrimp said:

Cool. Even with reduced fans and neutral site, I'm sure that will be an awesome time...

I was at Game3 and it was pretty electric.

I went to 4 NLCS games and have encouraged people to get out. It is a new Ballpark, and has been fantastic. The games have been great.

I have tickets to G5 and G6, but have no plans to sell. I say that not to boast, but to add credibility that I myself have and continue to get out there. I'm not and haven't promoted to attempt to increase ticket prices. Have flexible plans? Ticket prices drop just before game time, like with any scalper.

If you aren't vested in one team, it makes the game more enjoyable because you aren't emotionally sway by the score and can just enjoy baseball.

It's good advice unless the Dodgers are in a clinch situation. Ticket prices were skyrocketing last night when the Dodgers led late, then they cratered when TB won.

So if you're looking to go and the Dodgers win tonight, I'd buy sooner rather than later.
aggiephoenix02
Who is the MVP for each team so far? What do y'all say?

Rays: Arozarena or Snell if he wins his second start
Dodgers: I'm not sure yet...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
DannyDuberstein
AG
Worst World Series hat ever?
Matsui
AG
Dodgers my vote is turner
aggiephoenix02
DannyDuberstein said:

Worst World Series hat ever?
I did a double take when I first saw them, haha.
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Boiling Denim
Glasnow has a Josh James streak in him

Doing his best McCullers impersonation too
agsalaska
AG
You know, I will have to say not once since the series started have I thought about the *.

These are the two best teams I watched all year. And I started with College and then the KBO.

Good series.
scrimp
AG
Gonna be a tough night for the Rays if the ump keeps calling that Kershaw curve ball a strike 3 inches above the zone....
TMACsDaMan
This has the weird feeling of 2017 Game 5 Kershaw again
Burn-It
AG
Jeezus, Joe Buck just can't let sleeping dogs lye. Making excuses for Kershaw 2017 & bashing the 'Stros. So, what's the excuse tonight Joe? 2nd plus time through the order has always been Kershaw's downfall.
AKA 13-0
TXAggie2011
AG
The only thing I hate about Joe Buck is how prominent he is in in both baseball and football such that I have to hear fans of both sports complain about him
scrimp
AG
I agree, it's kind of ridiculous to mention it again by Joe Buck. But, then I realize that probably 70% of the people watching this are Dodger fans, and throwing the Astros under the bus again panders to those fans. Of course, the only way anyone could beat the Dodgers is by cheating.... /sarcasm
scrimp
AG
Gutsy call trying to steal home by the Rays. Thought they had it at first....
aggiephoenix02
So true, haha! Are there any announcers that people don't complain about?!? Joe Buck has always been fine... although his comments this past week about flyovers was strange...
Ag Natural
AG
He didn't disparage the Astros. He stated two facts: in 2017 the stros were cheating and that may have had an impact on Kershaw.

scrimp
AG
No 9th inning magic for the Rays tonight...
Aggie09Derek
AG

Wife is an Aggie
aggiephoenix02
Typical 2%er

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.