*****Devil Rays vs. Dodgers - WS thread*****

17,849 Views | 279 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 07ag
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RGLAG85 said:

PoppaB05 said:

That was quick. Never pull a starter that is cruising with A+ stuff in the playoffs. Terrible, just terrible
You know that bone head move gave an instant morale boost to the Dodger dugout. They were completely baffled and getting demoralized by Snell.

It was as if after the first 5 innings the Dodger lineup had that resigned that there would be a game 7...and then analytics got in the way.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I was thinking the same. What a ball kick
aggiephoenix02
Kellso said:

The 2020 Los Angeles Dodgers are one of the Greatest Teams of all time.

This team was loaded from top to bottom. No weaknesses at all.
No weakness at all? My Braves took them to the 7th inning of the 7th game of the NLCS...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Danny Vermin
Little disappointed they didn't thank the Rangers organization for a fantastic world series venue.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They just didn't want too many days off in between series
aggiephoenix02
MaroonStain said:

If Dodgers win, at this point, I have to go with Seager as MVP.
yup
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
MaroonStain
AG
Good for Seager! Shook off the playoffs funk and shined!!!
"Thanks and Gig'em"
birdman
_lefraud_ said:

RGLAG85 said:

PoppaB05 said:

That was quick. Never pull a starter that is cruising with A+ stuff in the playoffs. Terrible, just terrible
You know that bone head move gave an instant morale boost to the Dodger dugout. They were completely baffled and getting demoralized by Snell.

It was as if after the first 5 innings the Dodger lineup had that resigned that there would be a game 7...and then analytics got in the way.
That move might have made sense during the regular season. Snell was pitching his last game for five months. You ride him until he has nothing left.
Ag Natural
AG
Dodgers played this well and they didn't even get big performances from Bellinger and Pollock. Seager back fully healthy and of course the Betts acquisition is just sick.

On the pitching front, I thought it was really interesting that that they let Ryu and Mieda walk. Those guys had great seasons with new clubs. But the results speak for themselves. Urias in particular looks like a star.
Ag Natural
AG
btw, the dumbest thing about the whole analytics movement is the blind adherence to it. By definition, analytics are trends over time. You can't freaking make big decisions in short series based entirely on the numbers.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
As a San Francisco Giants fan, I was rooting for the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series. The Dodgers trailed the Rays 1-0 at the top of the 6th inning before rallying for a 3-1 Game 6 World Series clinching win. Also, it is the first time that the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Dodgers won championships in the same year since 1988.
Snap E Tom
Iraq2xVeteran said:

As a San Francisco Giants fan, I was rooting for the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series. The Dodgers trailed the Rays 1-0 at the top of the 6th inning before rallying for a 3-1 Game 6 World Series clinching win. Also, it is the first time that the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Dodgers won championships in the same year since 1988.
Eff the Giants and eff the Trashtros.
aggiephoenix02
Dang, Snap E is on a roll tonight!
Matsui
AG
Go Dodgers!!!
Al Bula
AG
This World Series definitely has an asterisk on it. Half season doesn't equate to all the hard work of teams who can win after a full season.
BMX Bandit
Ocean Of Funk said:

This World Series definitely has an asterisk on it. Half season doesn't equate to all the hard work of teams who can win after a full season.

Not sure it serious
Mike Elko
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

This times a babillion. Essentially 1/3rd of a season? Asterisk, indeed.
diehard03
Quote:

btw, the dumbest thing about the whole analytics movement is the blind adherence to it. By definition, analytics are trends over time. You can't freaking make big decisions in short series based entirely on the numbers.

No, the dumbest thing is smashing several decisions together and calling it analytics. I can see the Snell yanking being supported by data - just look at the end of his previous start in the WS.

The decision to bring in that particular reliever isn't supported by the numbers, as it seems.
MaroonStain
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Ocean Of Funk said:

Let me know when the 210 game seasons start.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
BMX Bandit
The teams with the best records in the short season made the World Series . Do you think they would not have made the playoffs in a 162 game season?

And this playoff was more difficult than in normal years.

Asterisk is such a hot take
Mike Elko
AG
MaroonStain said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Ocean Of Funk said:

Let me know when the 210 game seasons start.
A full regular season consists of 162 games. This season was shortened to 60 games, nearly 1/3rd of a normal season. "Essentially" is a synonym of "basically."

*Let me know if you need the definition of "synonym."

I'd make the exact same claim if my team won it this year, too. Sure, it's technically a ring, but c'mon... Nowhere near legit.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dodgers were anticipated to be one of the best teams in baseball going in, they were the best team in baseball for the 60 games, and they were the best team in the playoffs. And they had to beat the best the AL had to offer this year. Seems legit to me
MaroonStain
AG
Believe as you may. Don't care. Getting the t-shirt.

I will light a candle for the malcontents on this thread that had nothing to do with your teams.

If asterisks are being given out, make sure all asterisks are given.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
cc10106
aggiephoenix02 said:

Kellso said:

The 2020 Los Angeles Dodgers are one of the Greatest Teams of all time.

This team was loaded from top to bottom. No weaknesses at all.
No weakness at all? My Braves took them to the 7th inning of the 7th game of the NLCS...
I don't know about zero weaknesses, but they were the most complete team. It only took getting a couple cheaters from Boston to get them over the hump.

Whoever won it this year got an asterisk. That's a given, but LA will be in the hunt for a while.
Proposition Joe
I'm not much for ESPN's stuff, but this was a fun read:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30202748/world-series-2020-oddest-world-series-ends-most-2020-moment-season

Decent chance Game 7 would have been postponed had Tampa won.
Danny Vermin
The only asterisk is 2017. Dodgers should actually be champions 2 of the last 4 years.
MaroonStain
AG
The Dodgers will have a different looking team next season. Free agents: Seager, Turner, Kiki, Joc, Alex Wood, Treinen and Baez...I think...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
Every team will have an interesting off-season because revenues are going to be way way way down.

Will not be a good time to be a free agent.
94chem
birdman said:

_lefraud_ said:

RGLAG85 said:

PoppaB05 said:

That move might have made sense during the regular season. Snell was pitching his last game for five months. You ride him until he has nothing left.
Such a great example of how corporate America works. Blind adherence to principles no matter what the moment is saying, the view that everyone is replaceable with no drop in performance, the view that the guy who turns the knob is more valuable than the guy who knows which knob to turn...
Proposition Joe
The decision to pull Snell wasn't the worst of it. Plenty of coaches have done so with success in the past (Roberts pulled Kershaw earlier in the series successfully, as well as left a dealing Kershaw in too long in the NLDS in a 1-1 game that became 3-1 in the blink of an eye). There's plenty of data that backs up the "third time through the lineup".

But to pull Snell and go with... ANDERSON!?

Anderson had a 5+ postseason ERA entering the game.

Anderson hadn't pitched well since ALDS Game 2 (3+ weeks prior).

Betts on the season was batting 0.200 vs lefties (Snell) and 0.323 vs righties (Anderson).

Seager on the season was batting 0.275 vs lefties (Snell) and 0.322 vs righties (Anderson).

You can maybe defend pulling Snell. You can't defend pulling him for Anderson.
diehard03
Quote:

Such a great example of how corporate America works. Blind adherence to principles no matter what the moment is saying, the view that everyone is replaceable with no drop in performance, the view that the guy who turns the knob is more valuable than the guy who knows which knob to turn...

It's very strange - this "blind adherence" logic is the same one against conventional wisdom in this case. Pitchers are always dealing...until they aren't. You can't go back and take an HR off the board and say "wait, I meant to take him out BEFORE that". Also, that's what principles are - things that DON'T change in the heat of the moment. if they do, they aren't principles. Snell knew from before the game that he wouldn't see the Dodgers third time through the line up.

The question is...what's better going forward at that point in the game? 73+ pitches in facing the 3rd time through...or a "fresh" (it is game 6, after all) reliever from THAT bullpen? In my mind, the Snell yank was more 50/50 (wasn't right or wrong to yank him here), but his choice of reliever was nonsensical. It's very strange that we didn't see Castillo there, but maybe that was the problem Cash had.

Side note, Bellinger kinda told you their mindset for Snell. They were targetting getting him out in the 3rd time through and guessed it would be around the 6th. They knew he was gettable then. The rest of their comments around Snell are just praise for him and excitement they won the WS.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Danny Vermin said:

The only asterisk is 2017. Dodgers should actually be champions 2 of the last 4 years.
So you can validly conclude that the Dodgers would have beaten the Red Sox or Yankees in the World Series that year?
cc10106
Danny Vermin said:

With your logic, it should be the 3 of the last 4 years. Good thing MLB doesn't adhere to such arbitrary takes.
Ag Natural
AG
Nobody puts an astericks on the '81 World Series win and that was a shortened season.

This season was obviously unusual but definitely legit. The Dodgers most likely would have had the best regular season record in a normal season just like last year. It do wonder how inflated or deflated the records were this year with the limited number of opponents. Every teams basically played 1/3 of the league over and over. That being said, their issue has been delivering in the playoffs. Overcoming that in this format was arguably harder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.