***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,916,501 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
rgag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, gotta admit the Astros as an organization look pretty weak with this move. If you were going to defend a guy you can't throw in the towel so soon.

It's like they just wanted some good karma to come their way after the bad first two games of the WS.
BMX Bandit
If they found out he was lying to them in the story was true, getting rid of him so quickly was the right move.
rgag12
AG
I may not be up to date with all the facts, but I thought initially the Astros didn't deny that it happened, but that the comments were taken out of context, (i.e. he was just really happy a player they picked up succeeded and women being in the room was inconsequential)?
Ag13
AG
Ags #1 said:

chronicle reported that the assistant gm had an issue with the one reported he was directing it at and said some things about that issue in 2018 to other staffers. so some history there as well

Sounds like it was Alyson Footer which makes the Astros initial statement that much more mind blowing. Would think with how long she's been around the Astros someone would have asked her about what happened - and believed her.
annie88
AG
I still think what he actually did was overblown and the female reporters, Chronicle and ESPN pretty much lied to push their liberal metoo bull*****

However, the scrutiny and embarrassment of this guy caused the Astros this week is deserving of being fired on its own.

The Astros would've been better served if their initial statement was they had heard about an incident that happened Saturday night, they were investigating and they would make a statement once they had investigated the situation in stead of making an initial comment and then his bull**** apology making it worse.

So let's move on. The team is what matters.

Oh and **** the media.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
annie88
AG
rgag12 said:

I may not be up to date with all the facts, but I thought initially the Astros didn't deny that it happened, but that the comments were taken out of context, (i.e. he was just really happy a player they picked up succeeded and women being in the room was inconsequential)?
I still think this IS what happened, but his apology played into their hands.

Never apologize to the mob. Stand your ground and state what happened, especially if you're getting railroaded.

If he lied then screw him.
Thinice
Dude was supposedly a candidate for the Red Sox GM position, damn!!!'
rgag12
AG
annie88 said:

rgag12 said:

I still think this IS what happened, but his apology played into their hands.

Never apologize to the mob. Stand your ground and state what happened, especially if you're getting railroaded.

If he lied then screw him.

Agree, the apology move was so bizarre.

Edit: Unless we aren't hearing what really happened and it actually was extremely bad.
Psych
AG
What was this guys actual job duties?
E
AG
Do whatever Lunhow says.
Farmer1906
AG
Psych said:

What was this guys actual job duties?

Quote:

Brandon Taubman joined the Astros in June 2013 and is now in his first season as Assistant General Manager. In his new role, Brandon continues to oversee the baseball analytics and pro player scouting departments, as well as the teams Major League administrative functions.

Brandon began his career with the Astros as an analyst in Baseball Operations and spent the last year as the Astros Senior Director of Baseball Operations. He quickly earned promotions after joining the club, as he was promoted to Manager of Baseball Operations prior to the 2014 season, and Director of Baseball Operations in October 2015. Over the course of his career with the Astros, Brandon has been heavily involved in virtually every aspect of the Baseball Operations department, including international, domestic and pro scouting, contract valuation and negotiation, economic modeling and most recently, as of his appointment to Senior Director in 2017, Research and Development. Through his work across areas, he has been an essential figure in helping the Astros become perennial contenders at the Major League level, while maintaining a top-ranked farm system.

While Brandon has enjoyed, and is proud of his ascension within the Astros organization, he attributes his
success and that of the organization to the leadership provided by owner Jim Crane and President of Baseball Operations Jeff Luhnow, as well as his talented and inspiring colleagues across departments.

Prior to coming to Houston, Brandon worked for Ernst & Young as a derivative valuation expert. He was also a member of the Ernst & Young advisory team which consulted with the federal government during the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis. Following his time at E&Y, he worked for Barclays Investment Bank in their Equity Derivatives group as an analyst.

Brandon graduated with a degree in Applied Economics from Cornell University. He and his wife Leah reside in Houston

cablinaggie
AG
never mind, Farmer beat me to it

This guy knows his sh%t, and probably all of the organization's sh&t as well.
astros4545
AG
annie88 said:

I still think what he actually did was overblown and the female reporters, Chronicle and ESPN pretty much lied to push their liberal metoo bull*****

However, the scrutiny and embarrassment of this guy caused the Astros this week is deserving of being fired on its own.

The Astros would've been better served if their initial statement was they had heard about an incident that happened Saturday night, they were investigating and they would make a statement once they had investigated the situation in stead of making an initial comment and then his bull**** apology making it worse.

Oh and **** the media.
agchugger
AG
Everything I heard on NPR and local radio speculates the unnamed reporter who this was directed at was Alyson Footer. She apparently wears the bracelet and has been very focal against Osuna's charges on Twitter. Good riddance to him if he did that to Footer.
95_Aggie
AG
Osuna was trouble from the day they signed him
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The guys career is over, if it's not true he should take aggressive legal action against the Comical, ESPN and the Astros. My guess is he was **** hammered and doesn't really have a clear recollection.
astros4545
AG
Actually I've heard he has been an angel since the day we signed him
BMX Bandit
Keeper of The Spirits said:

The guys career is over, if it's not true he should take aggressive legal action against the Comical, ESPN and the Astros. My guess is he was **** hammered and doesn't really have a clear recollection.

He will be back in baseball no later than 2021
Macarthur
astros4545 said:

annie88 said:

Oh and **** the media.

YOu seriously blue diamond-ing this post?
agdaddy04
AG
95_Aggie said:

Please expand on this.
Farmer1906
AG
95_Aggie said:

*traded

He's a top-end relief pitcher. He young, cheap, and under team control. He was severely undervalued because he beat his wife.

In general, I am pro give a guy a second chance if its something somewhat minor (drugs, minor altercations, etc), but I personally draw the line at putting hands on women. Astros didn't. It is what it is. He's not easy to root for.
annie88
AG
95_Aggie said:

He wasn't worth it that's for sure. I didn't support the acquisition because of the scrutiny.

Does a guy deserve forgiveness and a chance at redemption? Sure, but we didn't need to be the ones who gave it. Plenty of other closers out there and he's been iffy at times anyway. Very inconsistent.

Pretty sad so much bad press on a team of wonderful players both personally and professionally. Really pisses me off.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

That's great at all, but he wasn't before then. I believe in forgiveness, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some real consequences.
annie88
AG
As he should. It's 100% spot on.
expresswrittenconsent

I'm guessing the ivy leaguer with the math lite degree will land on his feet.
Sid Farkas
AG
agchugger said:

Everything I heard on NPR and local radio speculates the unnamed reporter who this was directed at was Alyson Footer. She apparently wears the bracelet and has been very focal against Osuna's charges on Twitter. Good riddance to him if he did that to Footer.

Yeah. A stupid boorish move for sure. Unprofessional as hell.

The world gets another idiot sacrificed on the alter of political correctness. The pious activist gets another feather in her cap...and America gets no closer to social justice. Rinse. Repeat.
Bregxit
AG
Macarthur said:

astros4545 said:

annie88 said:

Oh and **** the media.

It is written by a female. Aren't we required to without question?
annie88
AG

If it's not true he shouldn't have apologized.
astros4545
AG
Macarthur said:

astros4545 said:

annie88 said:

Oh and **** the media.

Being an adult, yes I am

Unless you have a problem supporting women such as annie88
Mike Elko
AG
Signing Osuna was, is, and will continue to be a problem. Dude's a POS. But, hey, whatever wins ya games.
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

That's great at all, but he wasn't before then. I believe in forgiveness, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some real consequences.

How about millions of dollars as a real consequence that he lost
MAROON
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

Baseball suspended him 75 games and he forfeited $2.1mil in salary. Toronto authorities agreed to him entering into a peace bond of one year with the alleged victim.

So if you are the judge - what other real consequences do you want?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ag_07
AG
This has NOTHING to do with Osuna.

This guy acted on his own and to drag Osuna into this is irresponsible.

To say he's been trouble since he joined the team is completely incorrect.
agdaddy04
AG
annie88 said:

95_Aggie said:

He wasn't worth it that's for sure. I didn't support the acquisition because of the scrutiny.

Does a guy deserve forgiveness and a chance at redemption? Sure, but we didn't need to be the ones who gave it. Plenty of other closers out there and he's been iffy at times anyway. Very inconsistent.

Pretty sad so much bad press on a team of wonderful players both personally and professionally. Really pisses me off.

There's actually not "plenty" of closers out there.

He did face punishment by losing a contract with Toronto and a large suspension. The case was ultimately dropped, which I'm sure the Astros knew was going to happen, so they took a risk by signing him.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

This has NOTHING to do with Osuna.

This guy acted on his own and to drag Osuna into this is irresponsible.

To say he's been trouble since he joined the team is completely incorrect.
This. Osuna is a dirtbag but in this situation the only thing he did wrong was give up a 2 run HR.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
First Page Last Page
Page 1817 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.