***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,873,736 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dodgers lose.

Yankees win.

0.5 games behind AL and overall record
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
12law
AG
So if the Astros and Dodgers are tied and they both make it to the World Series, who gets home field advantage?
Ag_07
AG
Team with best divisional record.
n_touch
One game playoff in Yankee stadium to determine home field. Lets the Yank fans see a WS match up in person
AgFan1999
AG
which at this point is the Astros.
bearkatag15
AG
So I'm incredibly excited and anxious for this game tonight. This is the closest thing to a playoff match up that you will get this late in the season. Morton vs Verlander is going to be a thing a beauty to watch.
Mathguy64
AG
I just want to see this team score more than 1 run for JV. He deserves it.
Ag_07
AG
It'd be nice if JV doesn't give up multiple bombs as well.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Team with best divisional record.

NY 48-16
HOU 42-15
LA 36-19

I'd say it is very unlikely LA could catch either New York or Houston in the tiebreaker.

We hold the tiebreaker over the Yanks because we won the season series 4-3. Btw you can thank Tyler White and his 4 RBIs for the win June 23rd which sealed the h2h series win.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why does it matter how he gives up the few runs he does? So he get extra credit for allowing 3 walks and 5 hits giving up 2 runs over 7 than he does allowing 2 solo shots over 7?
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Why does it matter how he gives up the few runs he does? So he get extra credit for allowing 3 walks and 5 hits giving up 2 runs over 7 than he does allowing 2 solo shots over 7?
Home runs seem to do more to swing momentum than walk, single, single.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Why does it matter how he gives up the few runs he does?

For the scoreboard it doesn't but for my psyche it does.
Beat40
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

If you're looking for the silver lining, the solo HRs probably also keeps his pitch count down.
bearkatag15
AG
If my 2 options are a bunch of walks/hits vs a few solo bombs I would rather JV give up 2-3 solo bombs and have 16 strikeouts than give up a bunch of walks and singles. The latter knocks him out in 5 innings while giving up solo bombs with a ton of Ks probably means he went 7 innings.
Ag_07
AG
The thing about giving up bombs is that there's no way to bounce back from those mistakes.

A couple hits or a couple walks may not result in runs if you can buckle down and right the ship.

At the end of the day yeah runs are runs, but it's the quickness and suddenness of it that frustrates me.
redline248
AG
Beat40 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

If you're looking for the silver lining, the solo HRs probably also keeps his pitch count down.
In truth, I do sort of agree with farmer's point. 2 runs are 2 runs. The pitch count thing is also valid, I think. Hard to measure the psychological difference between slow trickle of runs vs instant scoring
YellAg2004
AG
If you knew you were going to give up 2 runs regardless, you'd rather them be bombs and be done with it.

If you didn't know, you'd rather the walk, single, single because you can recover from it all the way up until the run scores.

JV seems to be almost guaranteed a couple of bombs/game, so as long as he keeps mowing down everyone else, he can do his thing. Oh, and the offense needs to un-*#%$ itself tonight for him.
Farmer1906
AG
Don't get your hopes up on the offense. CFM has allowed 2 or fewer runs in 19 of his 27 starts. His worst start was 5 runs over 5-2/3 Innings. The silver lining is that he usually only goes 6.
The Milkman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Don't get your hopes up on the offense. CFM has allowed 2 or fewer runs in 19 of his 27 starts. His worst start was 5 runs over 5-2/3 Innings. The silver lining is that he usually only goes 6.
Well we've scored 4 runs or more in 16 of our last 20 games.
SquirrellyDan
AG
redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

In truth, I do sort of agree with farmer's point. 2 runs are 2 runs. The pitch count thing is also valid, I think. Hard to measure the psychological difference between slow trickle of runs vs instant scoring
With the slow trickle of runs, there's always a chance of giving up a three run bomb. I'd take the option of very few runners ever being on the base paths. Eliminates excessive pitches, let the pitcher focus solely on the batter, don't have to worry about pitching around guys, fewer errors in the field, infield can line up in ideal positions, etc.
redline248
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

With the slow trickle of runs, there's always a chance of giving up a three run bomb. I'd take the option of very few runners ever being on the base paths. Eliminates excessive pitches, let the pitcher focus solely on the batter, don't have to worry about pitching around guys, fewer errors in the field, infield can line up in ideal positions, etc.
I agree, keeping guys off base is better. Just saying that the psychological bump given to a team for getting out of a jam could swing momentum in that teams favor, and vice versa for the team who can't get anyone on and then hits a bomb.

It's all part of the equation
Andyzipp
AG
A few things after August 26th...
  • The Astros (85-47) have a 9.0 game lead in the AL West. They have been in first place for 125 days this so far.
  • While August has been a harder month than most of us would like, the Astros are currently 16-7. It is the second best month this season, so far. Depending on how the remaining 5 games go, August could range from the best month of the season (passing May's 20-8) to the worst (virtually tying June's 15-12).
  • The Astros are on a pace to win 104 games. If they win 100 or more, it will be the first time in 14 years a team has won 100 or more 3 years in a row, and only the 5th time in MLB history.
  • The remaining schedule features 16 home games and 14 away games. The Astros are winning at a 0.754 clip at home, and 0.537 on the road.
  • The Astros will have 9 more games against teams .500 or better, as things stand now. 7 of those are at home.
  • The Astros will have 21 more games against teams below .500, as things stand now.
  • The Astros have 12 games scheduled against teams that have already been eliminated from their division title races (including the Mariners in this. They could be eliminated by the end of the day.)
  • The Astros have only 2 more games scheduled against teams within 5 games of their division title. They have only 5 more games scheduled against teams within 12 games of a wildcard spot.
Harry Dunne
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

I agree, keeping guys off base is better. Just saying that the psychological bump given to a team for getting out of a jam could swing momentum in that teams favor, and vice versa for the team who can't get anyone on and then hits a bomb.

So how does Justin prevent these solo homers from occurring? The most obvious answer is to change his approach and not challenge hitters as often. I wouldn't have him change anything since the overall results are fantastic and puts him squarely in the mix for the Cy Young.

I'm sure nobody hates those shots more than Verlander does but I bet the last thing Strom wants to do is have him alter his approach.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Prosperdick said:

redline248 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

So how does Justin prevent these solo homers from occurring? The most obvious answer is to change his approach and not challenge hitters as often. I wouldn't have him change anything since the overall results are fantastic and puts him squarely in the mix for the Cy Young.

I'm sure nobody hates those shots more than Verlander does but I bet the last thing Strom wants to do is have him alter his approach.
This is it exactly. The way he pitches, it's very difficult to score runs playing small ball against Verlander. When he's on, hitters are forced to guess and sometimes they're right.

Also, I think Verlander is the clear front runner right now, although if Uncle Charlie is dominant tonight and Verlander is off, it could be a dead heat.
redline248
AG
I wasn't necessarily arguing for JV to change anything. The question was "why does it matter how runs are scored?" I was giving my 2 cents on it.
mazag08
AG
My God you guys can fill an entire page with pointless arguments.

I log in to see why so much posting during / after an off day.. only to find out its a bunch of little girls bickering over which way is the worst to give up two runs.

Not quite as bad though as three pages straight talking about merch you bought, that nobody cares about.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/cy-young-poll-end-of-august-update.html

Quote:

Two statistics reflect the closeness of the AL race: Verlander leads the league with 239 strikeouts. Cole has one fewer (238). Cole leads the AL with a 2.75 ERA. Verlander is .02 behind at 2.77.

Here's a breakdown of the top three in each league:

MLB.com reporters were asked to rank their top three choices in each league, with five points for a first-place vote, three for second place and one for third.)

1. JV (21)
2. Cole (16)
3. CFM (0)

SquirrellyDan
AG
mazag08 said:

I log in to see why so much posting during / after an off day.. only to find out its a bunch of little girls bickering over which way is the worst to give up two runs.

Not quite as bad though as three pages straight talking about merch you bought, that nobody cares about.
So, like, what are you adding here?

Nobody was bickering, it was an interesting conversation.

One of the great things about baseball is all of the little numbers and analytics that go with it.
mazag08
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

mazag08 said:

One of the great things about baseball is all of the little numbers and analytics that go with it.
Just adding more nonsense to a page filled with a topic that could have ended after its second post. I'm definitely not adding anything. I do understand the hypocrisy and don't care.
redline248
AG
mazag08 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

mazag08 said:

Just adding more nonsense to a page filled with a topic that could have ended after its second post. I'm definitely not adding anything. I do understand the hypocrisy and don't care.
No, it reads like "There were so many posts and now I feel like I wasted my time reading them all, waaaaahhhh"
Ag_07
AG
Eh...It happens when there's off day and it's been 48 hours since the last game.

It'll go away once the lineup is out this afternoon and we start bltching about who's getting a day off.
bearkatag15
AG
Jose Ramirez is out 5-7 weeks with a broken hamate bone. Same thing Yuli had last season.

Could really hurt the Indians wild card hopes.

Farmer1906
AG
He was a shell of 2017-8 Ramirez. He's just an avg player this year. Dead on at 100 wRC+.
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

He was a shell of 2017-8 Ramirez. He's just an avg player this year. Dead on at 100 wRC+.
That was mostly because he was worse than Reddick from opening day through June. The last 2 months he has put up 15 home runs with a .320 batting average and a 1.100+ OPS.
First Page Last Page
Page 936 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.