***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,872,386 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Twins in on Thor talks

Quote:

The Twins and Mets have had discussions surrounding Noah Syndergaard since the Mets have made the right-hander available, reports La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Minnesota has been linked to virtually every arm on the trade market starter and reliever alike so their inclusion in the Syndergaard bidding hardly comes as a shock. Nor is it surprising that Neal indicates that the Mets have focused in on top prospects Royce Lewis and Alex Kirilloff as potential headliners in a deal.

Lewis, 20, was the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2017, and the shortstop entered the season ranked as a consensus top 10 prospect in all of baseball. He's scuffled a bit in his first exposure to Class-A Advanced, hitting .243/.295/.384 through 410 plate appearances. Lewis, though, is still rather young for the Florida State League and is still generally regarded as a premier prospect, even if there's a bit more of a divide on his status at the moment. Baseball America dipped Lewis to No. 21 on its latest update of the game's top 100 minor leaguers, while Lewis resides at No. 2 over on Fangraphs' latest update.

Kirilloff, 21, also entered the season regarded as one of the game's 20 best prospects. He hasn't replicated last season's dominant numbers between Class-A and Class-A Advanced, but the outfielder has turned in a .284/.351/.403 slash in 261 plate appearances against older, more experienced competition with Double-A Pensacola.

The Twins have reportedly been loath to part with either Lewis or Kirilloff the same has been true of top pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol although Syndergaard brings a different level of appeal to the table than most other arms known to be available. He's controlled through the 2021 season (a year longer than Marcus Stroman or Mike Minor), has multiple dominant seasons on his resume (unlike Matthew Boyd), is still in arbitration as opposed to on a guaranteed contract (unlike Zack Greinke) and, despite a lackluster ERA on the season, offers some of the best raw stuff of any pitcher in baseball.
astros4545
AG
I'm wanting some trade news to drop somewhere

This is getting annoying
CFTXAG10
AG
Teams gonna keep driving up prices until Wednesday
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Truck deals are better towards the end of the month...
bearkatag15
AG

Solid work by the fans on the road.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Yeah unless he can be had relatively cheaply, I think we roll the dice with our current starter situation.

Not really an option. We only have 4 starters currently. Luhnow will make a move.

When he says 'We think we can we go with a 4 man rotation until after the trade deadline' that really means 'We're adding an arm so we can wing until the new addition gets here'.

If we we stand still that's a massive failure.

While I'd like to see the addition of a top end starter I think we end up acquiring a middle of the road 4/5 guy that's somewhat cheap.

In the playoffs you only need a 4 man rotation
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Yeah unless he can be had relatively cheaply, I think we roll the dice with our current starter situation.

Not really an option. We only have 4 starters currently. Luhnow will make a move.

When he says 'We think we can we go with a 4 man rotation until after the trade deadline' that really means 'We're adding an arm so we can wing until the new addition gets here'.

While I'd like to see the addition of a top end starter I think we end up acquiring a middle of the road 4/5 guy that's somewhat cheap.

Who do you want starting playoff games? Peacock? Urkeedy?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
If peacock is healthy I'm ok with him starting and planning McCugh behind him then a patch work before getting to Presley and osuna

It's not the best option in the world but better than most teams 4ths
The problem is I don't think peacock will be able to get back to starter length this year and will be relegated to the pen
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Probably a combination of those two.

It's not ideal, but I think we're still competitive in a 7 game series where they will pitch only once.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Also while we are at it, I don't think there is any way we are affording Correa, you need to look to trade him or pay him the minimum until you can at least give him a QO before letting him walk
CFTXAG10
AG
Thought this series might be a little more interesting with Yadi behind the dish, but he's on the IL and won't be back in time
n_touch
Just have Lance Jr throw at him and say it was an accident. He is still getting his aim back. Can you suspend an IL player?
Ag_07
AG
That's all good but what about the 5th spot until we get to the playoffs? We can't go with a 4 man rotation for the remaining 58 games. We literally have no one in the 5th spot right now. That's unsustainable.

Plus Peacock lost his rotation spot because he sucked, he's not healthy and probably doesn't have time to get stretched back out to start (he doesn't even have a return timeline). Every time we attempt to make him a starter he ends up in the pen because he's not a good starter. He belongs in the pen where he's pretty effective and has much better numbers.

Yeah we can go back and forth on top end vs low end acquisition but how anyone can think we don't anyone and can stay completely pat is beyond me.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

That's all good but what about the 5th spot until we get to the playoffs? We can't go with a 4 man rotation for the remaining 58 games. We literally have no one in the 5th spot right now. That's unsustainable.

Plus Peacock lost his rotation spot because he sucked, he's not healthy and probably doesn't have time to get stretched back out to start (he doesn't even have a return timeline). Every time we attempt to make him a starter he ends up in the pen because he's not a good starter. He belongs in the pen where he's pretty effective and has much better numbers.

Yeah we can go back and forth on top end vs low end acquisition but how anyone can think we don't anyone and can stay completely pat is beyond me.

Roll with Sneed or Armentos

Being 8 games up and with our offense back healthy I'm not concerned about winning the division
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Some combo or Urquidy and Armenteros is just fine for the 5th spot. With the amount of off days left, the 5th spot can be skipped 4-5 times I reckon also.
AgFan1999
AG
If you get Thor or Stroman, you're also looking longer term as well.
KC_Ag14
AG
What a dichotomy this year's trade deadline presents... definitely don't envy Luhnow this year. All I keep thinking about is a scenario in October where we split 1-1 with Verlander & Cole, do we really want Miley for Game 3? At the same time I'm contemplating giving up Tucker/Whitley and hating the sound of that too. I do think whoever they acquire will determine Cole's fate with the Stros after this year. If we acquire a rental, I'm thinking Crane backs up the money truck for Cole. If it's a controlable guy, Cole should walk. Am I off base here?
BMX Bandit
I think Cole is gone regardless.
redline248
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Also while we are at it, I don't think there is any way we are affording Correa, you need to look to trade him or pay him the minimum until you can at least give him a QO before letting him walk

How often do teams let former #1 draft picks, that become stars and top 5 at their position walk?
Ag_07
AG
I just don't trust them yet.

I don't wanna get in a bad spot like we were coming out of the break where we're having to roll out openers and AAA spot starters all the while taxing our BP.

I want a dependable starter that can give those guys some rest so they're ready to rock n roll come playoff time.
KC_Ag14
AG
That's my thinking too. Not sure how much stock we put into Richard Justice, but his recent interview mentioning Crane is not shying away from it and that Cole "likes Houston" is giving me more hope than I initially had.
bearkatag15
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

That's my thinking too. Not sure how much stock we put into Richard Justice, but his recent interview mentioning Crane is not shying away from it and that Cole "likes Houston" is giving me more hope than I initially had.
He was on 97.5 again this morning and he kind of backed off that position saying that Cole will likely end up in LAA this offseason and that he bought a house in Huntington Beach last year. However he did also say that Cole implied that the taxes there are high and that might force him to play ball elsewhere.

He also said that if Houston wins the World Series this year, Crane will without a doubt push hard to resign Cole.
AggiEE
Cole is almost assuredly gone. We can not afford to pay him 200M and still keep the rest of our roster.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
redline248 said:

How often do teams let former #1 draft picks, that become stars and top 5 at their position walk?

Exactly my point, if you are 99%sure you can't afford him when the time comes then get the best return you can.
AggiEE

redline248 said:

Exactly my point, if you are 99%sure you can't afford him when the time comes then get the best return you can.

He's a cheap, integral part of a potential playoff run for the next two years, not making anywhere near what he is worth, especially after injuries.

I'd only trade him in the last year of arbitration if we are out of playoff contention by the trade deadline.
bullard21k
AG
Like I said the other day justice is a windbag.

He's not Colin cowherd bad but he will waft back and fourth...be very matter of fact one day and then completely reverse course the next day.

I find him annoying and his rumors are typically never accurate
Ag_07
AG
Lost in all the trade talk...Tonight we get Correa back and should get a sneak peak of our playoff lineup.

<Cue the Orbit boner gif>
Agnzona
Keep in mind any starter we get is one less option for the Yankees to throw against use come play-off time.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07 said:

Lost in all the trade talk...Tonight we get Correa back and should get a sneak peak of our playoff lineup.

<Cue the Orbit boner gif>

tjack16
AG
Passing through northeast Arkansas on the way to St Louis. Too many Razorback fans
Prosperdick
AG
AggiEE said:

Cole is almost assuredly gone. We can not afford to pay him 200M and still keep the rest of our roster.

This...I don't care how much he says he loves Houston. Heck, CFM not only loved Houston but said he had never been on a team like the Astros and didn't think he ever would again...he walked away too.

My friends and I have a saying about these types of situations...it's always about the money, especially when it's not about the money.

We need to trade for a SP assuming he's gone because he is.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The only way we could keep Cole is to sign him to a big deal but structure it such that the majority of the money gets paid out after Verlander is done with his contract. That leaves room in the near term to resign Springer and maybe some other free agents that we would need. If the Astros aren't contending near the end of his contract, you trade him elsewhere, dump the money, and get a big prospect haul.
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Probably a combination of those two.

It's not ideal, but I think we're still competitive in a 7 game series where they will pitch only once.

I don't want to be competitive. I want to win. We have an opportunity to claim a big advantage and build depth to be able to withstand an injury to an ace and remain "competitive" with the right move.
Ag_07
AG
Interesting

Quote:

A number of clubs have been connected to Syndergaard, but the Yankees and Padres have been mentioned as suitors most often. The Astros and Braves could be suitors, too, MLB Network insider Joel Sherman reports for the New York Post.

"The Astros have most aggressively pursued Syndergaard," Sherman writes, "but the Mets' current stance is that only the Braves and Padres and their stacked systems are ideally positioned to obtain the righty."
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07 said:

Interesting

Quote:

A number of clubs have been connected to Syndergaard, but the Yankees and Padres have been mentioned as suitors most often. The Astros and Braves could be suitors, too, MLB Network insider Joel Sherman reports for the New York Post.

"The Astros have most aggressively pursued Syndergaard," Sherman writes, "but the Mets' current stance is that only the Braves and Padres and their stacked systems are ideally positioned to obtain the righty."

See the above where they don't want to look dumb by trading to a high analytics team
First Page Last Page
Page 680 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.