***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,956 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The only way we could keep Cole is to sign him to a big deal but structure it such that the majority of the money gets paid out after Verlander is done with his contract. That leaves room in the near term to resign Springer and maybe some other free agents that we would need. If the Astros aren't contending near the end of his contract, you trade him elsewhere, dump the money, and get a big prospect haul.

If I remember correctly that isn't how it works for the luxury tax calculation.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Build depth by trading away multiple top prospects....?
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Yeah unless he can be had relatively cheaply, I think we roll the dice with our current starter situation.

Not really an option. We only have 4 starters currently. Luhnow will make a move.

When he says 'We think we can we go with a 4 man rotation until after the trade deadline' that really means 'We're adding an arm so we can wing until the new addition gets here'.

If we we stand still that's a massive failure.

While I'd like to see the addition of a top end starter I think we end up acquiring a middle of the road 4/5 guy that's somewhat cheap.

In the playoffs you only need a 4 man rotation
Who do you want starting playoff games? Peacock? Urkeedy?

Probably a combination of those two.

It's not ideal, but I think we're still competitive in a 7 game series where they will pitch only once.

I don't want to be competitive. I want to win. We have an opportunity to claim a big advantage and build depth to be able to withstand an injury to an ace and remain "competitive" with the right move.

Yeah but winning the WS is a bit of a crapshoot. Timing, luck, all plays a factor.

We are already top of the league as is, does Thor guarantee a WS win? Absolutely not, and you may seriously hinder potential WS runs in subsequent years by trading for him

Could be another Britton situation
titanmaster_race
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

That's all good but what about the 5th spot until we get to the playoffs? We can't go with a 4 man rotation for the remaining 58 games. We literally have no one in the 5th spot right now. That's unsustainable.

Plus Peacock lost his rotation spot because he sucked, he's not healthy and probably doesn't have time to get stretched back out to start (he doesn't even have a return timeline). Every time we attempt to make him a starter he ends up in the pen because he's not a good starter. He belongs in the pen where he's pretty effective and has much better numbers.

Yeah we can go back and forth on top end vs low end acquisition but how anyone can think we don't anyone and can stay completely pat is beyond me.

Roll with Sneed or Armentos

Being 8 games up and with our offense back healthy I'm not concerned about winning the division

A's are not gonna go away. Plus are you willing to essentially concede home field advantage in the playoffs? That's a huge deal.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Yeah unless he can be had relatively cheaply, I think we roll the dice with our current starter situation.

Not really an option. We only have 4 starters currently. Luhnow will make a move.

When he says 'We think we can we go with a 4 man rotation until after the trade deadline' that really means 'We're adding an arm so we can wing until the new addition gets here'.

If we we stand still that's a massive failure.

While I'd like to see the addition of a top end starter I think we end up acquiring a middle of the road 4/5 guy that's somewhat cheap.

Strong disagree. Luhnow isn't trading for a guy that will be on the bubble of the playoff roster.
W
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The only way we could keep Cole is to sign him to a big deal but structure it such that the majority of the money gets paid out after Verlander is done with his contract. That leaves room in the near term to resign Springer and maybe some other free agents that we would need. If the Astros aren't contending near the end of his contract, you trade him elsewhere, dump the money, and get a big prospect haul.
for luxury tax purposes / calculations, I don't think deferring or backloading a potential Cole contract would help. (the average cost per year of the whole contract is used)

it would of course help the real life payroll so to speak in 2020 and 2021
W
AG
one thing to keep in mind about a 4-man playoff rotation...

if the ALDS goes to 5 games...the #4 starter might end up getting 2 starts in the ALCS.

depending on the TV schedule and length of the other division series.

so if Peacock is the Astros' #4...he could be called on to start twice vs. the Yankees --- that is probably not ideal
Yoda
AG
How will Hinch manage the lineup tonight in a NL park? Will Yordan play LF, putting Reddick on the bench?
Ag_07
AG
Good point

But if he's our #4 then he's on the roster.

We won't go into a playoff series with 3 starters
Charlie Conway
Yoda said:

How will Hinch manage the lineup tonight in a NL park? Will Yordan play LF, putting Reddick on the bench?
I think Hinch was on the radio earlier this week saying Yordan wouldn't play this series, he's already a liability out in left and I think his knee is still sore.
irish pete ag06
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Ag_07 said:

Interesting

Quote:

A number of clubs have been connected to Syndergaard, but the Yankees and Padres have been mentioned as suitors most often. The Astros and Braves could be suitors, too, MLB Network insider Joel Sherman reports for the New York Post.

"The Astros have most aggressively pursued Syndergaard," Sherman writes, "but the Mets' current stance is that only the Braves and Padres and their stacked systems are ideally positioned to obtain the righty."

See the above where they don't want to look dumb by trading to a high analytics team

Yep. This is exactly why I want Syndergaard so bad. He's an underachieving stud. He's Gerrit Cole Jr. Plus he's on the team thru 2022 which gives Luhnow time to trade for or draft more young pitching to develop. Also gives time for what's left of our farm pitching to possibly develop. There has to at least be a #3 pitcher in the farm right now... possibly a #2.
W
AG
speaking of the Yankees...it's battle of acquisitions tonight: Paxton vs. Cashner.

for the season Paxton is 5-5 with 4.20 ERA. Only thrown 85 innings in 17 starts. Having the worst season of his career for the Bombers
Farmer1906
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Build depth by trading away multiple top prospects....?

Rotational depth for the rest of the year and playoffs. Those prospects aren't going to help this year.

I've argued both sides to this. There is a happy middle to selling the farm and holding pat. There is a need to improve starting pitching and add a lefty arm for the pen. If we don't I think we're passing on a chance to greatly improve our WS odds.
bearkatag15
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Yoda said:

I think Hinch was on the radio earlier this week saying Yordan wouldn't play this series, he's already a liability out in left and I think his knee is still sore.
I've heard multiple interviews from Hinch this week saying he won't sit Yordan the entire series and he would likely get 1 start in the field
Charlie Conway
bearkatag15 said:

Charlie Conway said:

Yoda said:

I've heard multiple interviews from Hinch this week saying he won't sit Yordan the entire series and he would likely get 1 start in the field
Ok, i might've heard him on the radio last week, it's hard to remember. I'll defer to you in this case.
bearkatag15
AG

Movement although nothing exciting.
Ag_07
AG
Indicates the Giants are selling

Oh shlt...I didn't realize Holland had been DFAd
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

speaking of the Yankees...it's battle of acquisitions tonight: Paxton vs. Cashner.

for the season Paxton is 5-5 with 4.20 ERA. Only thrown 85 innings in 17 starts. Having the worst season of his career for the Bombers

That's because he hasn't seen us 8 times a season.
TREX01
We wore his ass out earlier in the year
Beat40
TREX01 said:

We wore his ass out earlier in the year
Then he said we were stealing signs like a baby.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

Cubs DFA's Tim Collins, a lefty relief pitcher. Career 3.60 ERA with a 1.41 WHIP in 242.1 career innings.

Only 8.2 innings this season though but still had a 3.12 ERA.

Pretty small guy. Only 5'7. So he would fit right in with Atluve and Bregman
Beat40
It's incredibly silly for an organization to not want to trade a player to a team because they are better analytically than them. It's not like players are not going to sign with them because of money.

The better idea for them is to get the prospects, actually build an analytics department, and then win.
Beat40
That WHIP though...
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
FYI
Found this on Reddit
NASA hats should be restocked at the team store in a few weeks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Astros/comments/chib3z/astros_apollo_11_hats_will_be_restocked/
iamtheglove
bearkatag15 said:

Ag_07 said:

Cubs DFA's Tim Collins, a lefty relief pitcher. Career 3.60 ERA with a 1.41 WHIP in 242.1 career innings.

Kemp for Collins?
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ag_07 said:

But can he give hugs to a 6'5" 240 lb Cuban?
Beat40
Looking forward to a baseball game tonight to take my mind off the trade deadline.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Wonder what happens after Freese comes off the IL...
. . .
redline248
AG
Really curious where Yordan is slotted back in AL parks. My guess is 5 and move everyone down, based on this lineup.
CoachRTM
AG
redline248 said:

Really curious where Yordan is slotted back in AL parks. My guess is 5 and move everyone down, based on this lineup.

6. I doubt AJ goes lefty with back to back hitters
bearkatag15
AG
CoachRTM said:

redline248 said:

6. I doubt AJ goes lefty with back to back hitters
He's been doing it for weeks already with Brantley at 4 and Yordan at 5. Has worked out fine.
BMX Bandit
That was my first thought, but he's done it with Brantley & Alvarez several times.
Beat40
What's interesting if you put Yordon 6, you basically get 2 innings in a row of a 3rd spot hitter.

Inning 1 - 1 Springer, 2 Altuve, 3 Bregman

Inning 2 - 1 Brantley, 2 Correa, 3 Yordon
First Page Last Page
Page 681 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.