***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,503 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgDoc03 said:

n_touch said:

I would have though Cami would have hit 30 at some point.

**Wow looking back at his numbers on his first stent here, they were pretty bad.
He probably wasn't on the roids then
True, but he probably wasn't smoking crack yet either.
n_touch
Sorry for the delay. If I have not gotten back you I apologize. I have 15 Navy (will be 1st come) and can get another case of Gray tumblers. I also have 21 20oz Navy tumblers if anyone is intersted in the smaller size. PM if you are interested.
n_touch
Must have been something in the water over there
shano0603
AG
n_touch said:

Sorry for the delay. If I have not gotten back you I apologize. I have 15 Navy (will be 1st come) and can get another case of Gray tumblers. I also have 21 20oz Navy tumblers if anyone is intersted in the smaller size. PM if you are interested.
Do you have pictures?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Harry Dunne said:

W said:

Bregman became the first Astro with back-to-back 30 home run seasons since Berkman in 2006 & 2007
That's excellent. I would have guessed Carlos Lee, but it looks like he just missed.

He was underappreciated because he was overpaid and he didn't exactly hustle, but man that dude could hit. .300, 25 HR & 100 RBI or better 3 years in a row, walking just about as much as he struck out and played in 155+ games 4 of his 5 full seasons here. He was just 10 years too early - would have been a great DH.

The one time Carlos Lee hustled in the outfield he ended up breaking Adam Everett's leg.

Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

n_touch said:

**Wow looking back at his numbers on his first stent here, they were pretty bad.
He got a lot better in SD.
Harry Dunne
Caminiti, Finley and Luis Gonzalez are your poster boys for the efficacy of steroids.

It's so easy to link it. Caminiti starts using steroids in the mid 90s and his power numbers take off. His old Astros buddy and current padres teammate says "hey I'll have some of what you're having" and goes from a 10 HR guy to a 30 HR guy and plays til he's 42... then he goes to Arizona where he plays with their other old Astro buddy Luis Gonzalez who used to be just like Steve Finley and after never hitting more than 15 HR before age 30 now hits 57 HR at age 33!
Silent For Too Long
Frok said:

MLB lifers decry the state of the modern baseball: 'Unwatchable'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/08/19/mlb-baseballs-old-timers-decry-state-modern-game/2047025001/

A bit of old men yelling at clouds. But I do agree the home run has been cheapened lately with this current style of always swing for the fences.

But the criticism of analytics is pretty silly. That's what executives do, they gather information to make decisions.

That article is pretty silly.

Gossage going off on modern executives is ridiculous. They are paid to win games and modern analytics has clearly proved to be better at winning games then the "old ways."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

n_touch said:

He got a lot better in SD.

He didn't get good on offense til he got some help, but his first few years in the league he was probably saving a run a game on defense. Cannon for an arm and incredible reflexes.

and the time he killed Greg Olsen of the Braves.

and damn, I have not seen his children before but here ya go.

cablinaggie
AG
Frok said:

MLB lifers decry the state of the modern baseball: 'Unwatchable'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/08/19/mlb-baseballs-old-timers-decry-state-modern-game/2047025001/

A bit of old men yelling at clouds. But I do agree the home run has been cheapened lately with this current style of always swing for the fences.

But the criticism of analytics is pretty silly. That's what executives do, they gather information to make decisions.

Goose Gossage is a miserable old f*ck.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Caminiti, Finley and Luis Gonzalez are your poster boys for the efficacy of steroids.
Luis Gonzalez is a bigger steroid joke than Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, or A-Rod.

It took him 670 games and 2,284 at-bats to get to 59 home runs in his career.

In 2001 he hit 57 home runs.
The Milkman
AG
n_touch said:

Ordered a couple more as gifts! Thanks N_touch
Harry Dunne
MuckRaker96 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Luis Gonzalez is a bigger steroid joke than Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, or A-Rod.

It took him 670 games and 2,284 at-bats to get to 59 home runs in his career.

In 2001 he hit 57 home runs.
Who knows how much better steroids made each player. Obviously quite a bit better, surely helped some more than others depending on what their game looks like before the juice. Finley & Gonzalez were perfect because they were .300ish hitters without much power and the steroids probably turned a lot of doubles into HR.

Can you imagine Yuli on steroids?
Silent For Too Long
Harry Dunne said:

Could you imagine Yordan on steroids?
Harry Dunne
Silent For Too Long said:

Harry Dunne said:

Could you imagine Yordan on steroids?
Yes.

Frok
AG
I forgot about that.

Good ol' Adam "Neverhit"
Bregxit
AG
third coast.. said:

It is crazy seeing them all grown up. I remember seeing Cami down on all fours at Sweet Mesquite in Sugar Land chasing them around their table when they were toddlers.
Agnzona
When I lived in Pecan Grove a bunch of Astros lived there. Cami's rule was if the Garage door was open you could stop by for a visit. My boys were like 4 years older than his youngest so no real reason to unless I saw him in the yard. Casey Candaele lived in the Apartments there and every now and than I saw him at Caminiti's and we talk to both of them. I recall being shocked that a part time utility player like Casey was making a cool 1 million A year from the Astros, even he used to laugh at the absurdity... He of course would have played for 25k.....
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
bearkatag15
AG
Super Jack called up. Sneed sent back down.

Farmer1906
AG
Kyle Tucker be like

bearkatag15
AG
Seems like not having a backup 1st baseman would be enough to give him a shot this time.
redline248
AG
Who feels worse, Sneed or Tucker?

edit: Sneed has been sent up/down like 4 or 5 times the past 3 days
Ag_07
AG
When's Biagini eligible to recalled?
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

This doesn't answer your question, but...

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Gotta wait the 10 days, I think.
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

Ag_07 said:

This doesn't answer your question, but...

Yikes... not a great outing for him. If he isn't careful, Lunhow might just keep him down there.
redline248
AG
I was wondering if they don't have him working on something new. Let's hope
Mr President Elect
AG
redline248 said:

Who feels worse, Sneed or Tucker?

edit: Sneed has been sent up/down like 4 or 5 times the past 3 days
Gotta be Tucker. Sneed has been raking on frequent flyer miles. Probably already got the companion pass.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Gotta wait the 10 days, I think.

For sure. Was just curious when that was up

And FWIW I think Joe was just as good as anyone else we've got out there. Actually probably better than some
CoachRTM
AG

Yea, I grew up in Pecan Grove as well and knew the Caminitis. Me and my two younger brothers are roughly the same age as his three girls... we all went to church together and our moms were friends. All of us were in middle school/ high school when they had to go through the stories of steroids, cocaine, divorce and death of their father.
Farmer1906
AG
Tucker now has 213 games & 950 ABs in AAA.

56 HR
186 RBI
171 R
48 SB
Agnzona
Probably time to give him rest of this year and all of next at the club and see what we have.
Post removed:
by user
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
So Tucker is having a worse year average and OPS wise than last year but hitting more home runs. From the way everyone is so jazzed about him I would have thought he was putting up Yordan level numbers.

I do agree we should get him up here for a shot because Reddick has been so bad. The only downside is we lose another option right? Do we still lose the option if we wait until Sept?

I don't expect him to be a huge improvement but atleast it's something different
First Page Last Page
Page 885 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.