***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,249 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marvin said:

Damn, you guys done piling on Mr. Furious? It was a bad comment in the middle of a game, not a life altering opinion! Haha.
No one effs with Yordan.
BMX Bandit
Marvin said:

Damn, you guys done piling on Mr. Furious? It was a bad comment in the middle of a game, not a life altering opinion! Haha.

Now we know who gave the post a blue star
W
AG
so assessing the damage from the 10-game road trip...the Astros went 4-6.

during the same time frame...the Yankees went 7-4 and the Twins went 6-3.

they both had trouble with the Indians, but swept 4-game series from weak teams (NYY over the Orioles; Minnesota over the Rangers).

current records:

Yankees...83-43
Astros.....79-46
Twins......76-48

the Astros have the tiebreaker over the Yankees. The Twins own the tiebreaker vs. the Astros
W
AG
one thing I didn't realize...the Yankees only have 12 home games left.

they've played a whopping 69 home games already.

need the A's to do some damage starting on Tuesday.

it was nice of MLB to give the Yankees a full travel day between their Sunday home game in New York and their first game in Oakland
Faustus
Safe at Home said:

Not sure I agree. In the 2017 ALCS the home team won every game. And in 7 regular season games this year the home team won 6.

User name yada yada.
redline248
AG
Anyone have video of the double play late in the game?
Jackie Daytona
AG
https://www.mlb.com/video/bregman-starts-slick-double-play
redline248
AG
Thanks
tjack16
AG
I actually think the Indians will take that division when all is said and done
Marvin
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Marvin said:

Now we know who gave the post a blue star

Where's the "wrong" gif when I need it?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
BMX Bandit
Right next to the Jennifer Lawrence "sure, ok" gif
Marvin
AG
To prove it wasn't me, I just went back and starred the original post. That makes two, and I can't be both. So there you go...

Now I'm really wondering why I felt compelled to do that. Maybe I have some repressed justification issues and need to be accepted by random internet strangers, haha.
Silent For Too Long
W said:

it was nice of MLB to give the Yankees a full travel day between their Sunday home game in New York and their first game in Oakland

Yeah, no kidding. Meanwhile we got the 3 different time zone road trip **** sandwhich.

Oh well. Let's just win some games. Need to see some nekked orbit .gifs.
W
AG
Bregman became the first Astro with back-to-back 30 home run seasons since Berkman in 2006 & 2007
Prosperdick
AG
Safe at Home said:

Not sure I agree. In the 2017 ALCS the home team won every game. And in 7 regular season games this year the home team won 6.
Was there a team in 2017 (or 2018) for that matter with a rotation even close to Verlander, Cole, Greinke and Miley? Also don't try to squeeze in Morton for one of those years as Dallas and McHugh were our #3 and #4 last year and in 2017 Morton was in the pen in the playoffs.

We will have a decided edge in pitching in every match-up we face IF we stay healthy. Good pitching usually trumps good hitting in the playoffs regardless of venue.
Harry Dunne
W said:

Bregman became the first Astro with back-to-back 30 home run seasons since Berkman in 2006 & 2007
That's excellent. I would have guessed Carlos Lee, but it looks like he just missed.

He was underappreciated because he was overpaid and he didn't exactly hustle, but man that dude could hit. .300, 25 HR & 100 RBI or better 3 years in a row, walking just about as much as he struck out and played in 155+ games 4 of his 5 full seasons here. He was just 10 years too early - would have been a great DH.

Deluxe
AG
W said:

It's fun to go back now and read his draft profile. He was projected to have "average" power. Only hit 9 HRs his Jr year at LSU. His comp was Dustin Pedroia, who only hit 17 HR in his MVP season.

I remember back in 2016 when he hit 20 HR in 80 minor league games and was like "whoa, this guy could be waaay better than I thought". (I was among those who was bummed that we didn't have a chance to draft Swanson haha)

https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-profile-lsu-shortstop-alex-bregman/c-127869438

Anyway, the draft profile also said he could add power if he adds some loft to his stroke. That part turned out to be right on.
12law
AG
Harry Dunne said:

W said:

That's excellent. I would have guessed Carlos Lee, but it looks like he just missed.

He was underappreciated because he was overpaid and he didn't exactly hustle, but man that dude could hit. .300, 25 HR & 100 RBI or better 3 years in a row, walking just about as much as he struck out and played in 155+ games 4 of his 5 full seasons here. He was just 10 years too early - would have been a great DH.

He probably would have had at least 35 homeruns each of those seasons playing with a juiced ball.
Marvin
AG
In a weird scheduling quirk, the Astros and A's have played on August 18th the past three seasons. Last year the A's won 7-1 while handing DK his 10th loss. In 2017 the Astros won 3-1 as DK won his 11th game.
Farmer1906
AG
This can not stand!

Marvin
AG
Heard this mentioned yesterday and wanted to post it for reference:

Astros record on August 18th...

• 2019 79-46
  • 2018 74-49
  • 2017 75-47

Astros record through 125 games

• 2019 79-46
  • 2018 75-50
  • 2017 76-49

So, despite the recent slide (not to mention the difficult SOS against schedule, injuries, and quantity of games played to date), the team is still on pace for a record year.

I'll stand in the front of the "keep some perspective" line, haha.
Deluxe
AG
Nolan Arenado away from Coors Field: .264/.331/.493
Aledmys Diaz: .267/.320.474

Not much difference between the two, except hundreds of millions of dollars
Farmer1906
AG
2019 Bregman is topping 2018 top 5 MVP voting Bregam

On Base is up from .394 to .411
Slugging is up from .532 to .563
OPS (obviously) is up from .926 to .974
wRC+ is up from 157 to 159
Soft Contact is down from 17.2% to 16.3%
Hard Contact is up from 35.4% to 44.3%
Ground Balls are down from 34.6% to 31.5%
Line Drives and Fly Balls are up from 21.9% & 43.4% to 22.3% & 46.2%

Its not just at the plate. His defense is improved too.

UZR is up from -3.1 (Avg to Slightly Below Avg) to 1.3 (Avg to Slightly Below Avg)
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Nolan Arenado away from Coors Field: .264/.331/.493
Aledmys Diaz: .267/.320.474

Not much difference between the two, except hundreds of millions of dollars
That and elite defense.

Should have the is Arenado elite conversation again? I think we covered it preseason or April/May ish.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Should have the is Arenado elite conversation again?
No
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Should have the is Arenado elite conversation again?
No

Too bad.

He's not.

The end.
Deluxe
AG
Who was taking the side that he is elite?
Frok
AG
MLB lifers decry the state of the modern baseball: 'Unwatchable'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/08/19/mlb-baseballs-old-timers-decry-state-modern-game/2047025001/

A bit of old men yelling at clouds. But I do agree the home run has been cheapened lately with this current style of always swing for the fences.

But the criticism of analytics is pretty silly. That's what executives do, they gather information to make decisions.

Marvin
AG
Did I miss this being posted yesterday?

The waiting game nears its end for Astros prospect Kyle Tucker

Quote:

Five position players have been summoned from Round Rock to Houston this season. None have been Tucker, who at this point last year was six weeks removed from his major-league debut. He's blocked by Michael Brantley in left field and by Alvarez at designated hitter. When the Astros have needed a bench player in a pinch, they've opted for Myles Straw because of his speed and his rare ability to play both center field and shortstop.

All the while, Tucker's wait has continued.

"I mean, I get it," he said. "(George) Springer. Reddick. Brantley. Jake. Straw's been up there for a while. They've all been doing a great job and I totally get it. But obviously, I wish I'd be up there helping out, too."

Quote:

The discourse around Tucker has been reinvigorated by the struggles of Reddick, who has been one of the least productive hitters in the majors since June and even worse since July. But with no roster spot available and Reddick owed the rest of his $13 million salary for this season and another $13 million for 2020, Houston's only alternative to Reddick is Marisnick.

Tucker also hasn't produced to a point where he's forced the Astros' hand. His season in Triple A has been extremely streaky. He was terrible in April and July but sensational in May and really productive in June. He's heated up again in August. Overall, it's translated to a .271/.355/.576 season line entering Sunday, which still marks regression from his .332/.400/.590 line at Triple A last season. His strikeout rate has increased, from 18.1 percent in 2018 to 22.2 percent this season.

Quote:

Tucker's recent practice at first base increases the odds playing time will open up for him at some point next season. If he was an option at first base earlier this season, he could've taken a lot of the at-bats that went to Tyler White.

Inspired by how quickly Straw carved out a major-league role after learning to play shortstop, Tucker was the one to initiate the first base experiment. He asked Storey in June if it might be an option for him and the manager worked him out at the position. A staffer shot video and it was sent up the chain of command. After a couple weeks of work, Tucker started seeing game action in mid-July, first late in blowouts and then as an occasional starter.

"It's gone well. He's done a heck of a job," Storey said. "He's definitely put in a ton of work. There were times where I would have him for early work and it would go 30, 40 minutes instead of the 15, 20, which is normal. He was really intrigued and really engaged in the work and trying to get better at it."

redline248
AG
W said:

When I saw this yesterday it also included that only 1 other Astros 3B in history had hit 30 homers in a season. Morgan Ensberg in 2005
n_touch
I would have though Cami would have hit 30 at some point.

**Wow looking back at his numbers on his first stent here, they were pretty bad.
Ag_07
AG
Good to see everyone still around. Thought this place woulda burned to the ground over the weekend.

AgDoc03
AG
n_touch said:

**Wow looking back at his numbers on his first stent here, they were pretty bad.
He probably wasn't on the roids then
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Who was taking the side that he is elite?
Probably the twitter idiots who voted him over Bregman.

I'm not mad about it, I just think its silly. I don't really want that conversation either. I just recall we(Astros fans) had it before.
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

He got a lot better in SD.
First Page Last Page
Page 884 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.