***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,157 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DVC2010 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Players weekend uniforms...

Well they are about fourteen times better than the last couple of years, at least.
Agree. I like the jersey but they should have added grey accents to the cap as well.
Prosperdick
AG
07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

my goodness has anyone else seen Max Scherzer's nickname??
bigdick is brazen, but justified
I approve.
iamtheglove
irish pete ag06
AG
iamtheglove said:

In this whole "golden years" debate I think the absolute key is player evaluation and development, which under Lunhow, the Astros have proven to be Elite.

Evaluation and development is the path by which you can sign George to a long term deal, because you have the ability to shed Reddick and Brantley for Yordon and Tucker. This year the Astros will pay their OF $40+ million. 2 years from now George in a new deal + yordon + Tucker will cost them less.

With that, you have the resources to sign a vet elite starter or two.

The pipeline of young talent plus the ability to improve vet pitchers is an amazing tool to prolong the golden era even while carrying 3-4 max contracts
Yep. Not getting hamstrung into the Pujols and Cano contracts of the world helps extend windows...

For all of the gnashing of teeth... maximizing player retention through good use of the 40 man and not giving them away for free (see Stassi, Kemp, White, etc) extends windows.

Maximizing player control ala Yordan Alvarez extends windows.

Brett Strom being the midas of pitching coaches extends windows.

All of these things tells me we should be pretty good for a long time. And in baseball, making the tournament year in and year out is key.

Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

"His sinker has been clobbered all year: a .370 batting average and .558 slugging percentage against"

Love the analytics on this but how do you get a batting average on a pitch - how do you account for balls, foul balls, swing strikes, bunts etc?
The same way you always account for them when calculating avg and slug.
Farmer1906
AG
Johnsy3 said:

07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

Am I missing something here? Doesn't Brown Eye refer to his eye color since he has he's got one brown eye?

bearkatag15
AG
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Johnsy3 said:

07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

Am I missing something here? Doesn't Brown Eye refer to his eye color since he has he's got one brown eye?

Yeah but...really man? You don't know and don't think he knows?
Beat40
Full line-up for Greinke. Love it.
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Nice to see Alvarez is still in the lineup but Grienke doesn't get to hit...I bet LaRussa would have let him DH.
Mathguy64
AG
The new guy getting the playoff lineup.
iamtheglove
iamtheglove said:

In this whole "golden years" debate I think the absolute key is player evaluation and development, which under Lunhow, the Astros have proven to be Elite.

Evaluation and development is the path by which you can sign George to a long term deal, because you have the ability to shed Reddick and Brantley for Yordon and Tucker. This year the Astros will pay their OF $40+ million. 2 years from now George in a new deal + yordon + Tucker will cost them less.

With that, you have the resources to sign a vet elite starter or two.

The pipeline of young talent plus the ability to improve vet pitchers is an amazing tool to prolong the golden era even while carrying 3-4 max contracts

I will also add that the Astros have been very strategic about how they hand out "max" contracts. Two middle infielders (assuming bregs is the SS in waiting) and a Cy Young level SP.

in spite of the glut of great young shortstops in the game currently, I would say stud SS, 2B and Ace starter are among the most rare and impactful players you can have given the fall off to "average" for those positions compared to OF, corner IF or bottom of the rotation starter.

If they were able to work in a 4th 25m+ contract I would guess it would go to either a CF or another ace SP.
I Like Turtles
AG
Nice! Traveled 6 hours hoping for some Yordy. Excited
suburban cowboy
AG
Every cholo in town gonna have those icy whites
shano0603
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Greinke looks a little sloppy AJ. It's like he started getting chills while writing his name.
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Johnsy3 said:

07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

Do you remember when...we used to sing

Shalalalalalalalalala la ti da
Marvin
AG
Or a little too busy with his left hand...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
dlance said:

Farmer1906 said:

Johnsy3 said:

07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

Yeah but...really man? You don't know and don't think he knows?
I actually didn't know that brown eye was slang for your ******* until I just looked it up. That is why I asked.

Yall are a bunch of brown eyes.
redline248
AG
Is Bregman suited for hitting clean-up, right now?

Last 14 games he's hitting .200 (10 for 50) with 8 BBs (.305 OBP) and 6 RBI. 4 of those RBI came Since Aug 1, though (4 games).
BarryProfit
Yeah let's move Bregman down based on a 14 game mini slump.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
mathguy86 said:

The new guy getting the playoff lineup.

I'm 100% convinced that marisnick starts every verlander starts because JV said he wants him to. M
Farmer1906
AG
Yes
Harry Dunne
suburban cowboy said:

Every cholo in town gonna have those icy whites
It has begun. Just saw a Fat Joe looking gentleman wearing the hat in HEB. I eyed it for a little too long and he looked at me like this:

True story.
DVC2010
AG
On my way to the park, but I'll be cutting it a little close for first pitch. If anyone wants to get a beer, send me a message. I'll keep my eye on this thread throughout the evening.
Mathguy64
AG
T-minus 60 minutes and counting. Lets get ready to light this candle!
Harry Dunne
redline248 said:

Last 14 games he's hitting .200 (10 for 50) with 8 BBs (.305 OBP) and 6 RBI. 4 of those RBI came Since Aug 1, though (4 games).
Cleanup doesn't really bat with men on more per AB than any other spot. Knowing what we know now what makes the most sense is to bat your best hitters highest in the lineup. Even on a mini slump is Bregman not a top 4 hitter on the team?
Ag_07
AG
redline248 said:

He's getting on base which in front of Yordan is a really good thing.
BMX Bandit
Scherzer was Blue Eye last year
redline248
AG
I suppose there is at least room for debate about Bregman or Yordan being top 4...assuming Springer, Altuve and Brantley are top 3. Correa can play like a top hitter, too.

The point about getting your best guys up to bat faster regardless of "clean up" or whatever certainly makes sense.
Marvin
AG
I'm hanging out at Torchy's in CF. Apollo 11 hat and rainbow Astros shorts. I generally answer to Hey Marvin or Yo Stupid.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
mwm
I'm about to wet my britches in anticipation of first pitch tonight.
zgood10
AG
Puma!!
Teddy Perkins
AG
Aw hell, no Blum and Kalas tonight! Hopefully Berkman can drown out Esch.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Esh...
tjack16
AG
At MMP now ... concessions lines are insane. So are the entry lines
First Page Last Page
Page 782 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.