***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,735,998 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by PSully97
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just don't understand how you have a guy like Sanchez, who's worst pitch (the sinker) he's throwing nearly one out of every three times. You don't need to be a Sabremetrics wizard to know that's a recipe for disaster.

I'm starting to think a lot of these clubs' pitching coaches are straight stealing from their employers.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Players weekend uniforms...
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Im in Jake's says Dozer across the back
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indifferent on the jersey, but that hat looks slick
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:



Thought PEDs were supposed to make you better?


If you are going to use PEDs night as well go old school and use that one.

What an idiot.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pass
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

I just don't understand how you have a guy like Sanchez, who's worst pitch (the sinker) he's throwing nearly one out of every three times. You don't need to be a Sabremetrics wizard to know that's a recipe for disaster.

I'm starting to think a lot of these clubs' pitching coaches are straight stealing from their employers.
I'm pretty confused on this, too. Like, there's obviously something else to it, or everyone would just do this.

Maybe it's being able to quickly teach guys mechanically how to consistently locate a four-seamer. Or how to take that spin rate to the next level on the curve. Maybe it's situational in what counts against which hitters you actually use that high-fastball, etc. (or improved pitch sequencing, etc....) Maybe it is a clubhouse that is so hyper-focused on improvement that you concentrate and absorb more info. Who knows?

But as a rival GM, I would 100% take a quick reset and re-look at my roster and stats if the Astros call about one of my pitchers in the off season.
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buck Compton said:

Prosperdick said:

I just don't understand how you have a guy like Sanchez, who's worst pitch (the sinker) he's throwing nearly one out of every three times. You don't need to be a Sabremetrics wizard to know that's a recipe for disaster.

I'm starting to think a lot of these clubs' pitching coaches are straight stealing from their employers.
I'm pretty confused on this, too. Like, there's obviously something else to it, or everyone would just do this.

Maybe it's being able to quickly teach guys mechanically how to consistently locate a four-seamer. Or how to take that spin rate to the next level on the curve. Maybe it's situational in what counts against which hitters you actually use that high-fastball, etc. (or improved pitch sequencing, etc....) Maybe it is a clubhouse that is so hyper-focused on improvement that you concentrate and absorb more info. Who knows?

But as a rival GM, I would 100% take a quick reset and re-look at my roster and stats if the Astros call about one of my pitchers in the off season.
Pine tar, duh
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone on twitter created the Players Weekend nicknames for each player... These are hilarious

Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm guessing the article might be on to the key ingredient. Communication! Likely how they present it combined with a huge amount of credibility that results in extreme buy-in compared to your average MLB player.
"It's what I do...I drink and I know things."
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's really interesting to me is how effective the staff is in improving acquired pitchers but when it comes to drafted pitchers their methods seem to be not as effective.

Is it simply not getting to work with Strom and the ML staff, less data on the younger guys, combo of both probably?

I don't know. Just interesting that it seems we can't miss on veteran rebuild jobs but the drafted guys are a different story.
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

what no name prospects like Yordan
not sure if serious.


I mean before about May, he wasn't on too many people's radars in the way that Whitley, Tucker, or even guys like Correa were. Until this season I guarantee you that 90 out of 100 Astros fans had no idea who he was.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Someone on twitter created the Players Weekend nicknames for each player... These are hilarious


Here are the real nicknames:

astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The drafted guys look very good in the minors, strikeout to walk ratio in minors is best in baseball

Just need to have that translate to big club
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Greinke"

I love it
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SANCHIZE

Guy pitches 6 innings of no hit ball and thinks he's the shlt
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too many possibilities out there for the choice to be "Yordan"
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:



Players weekend uniforms...

I got $20 that says these are Milkman's favorite uni.
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Icy-whites. Sumlin would approve.
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frok said:

Icy-whites. Sumlin would approve.


Angels gonna smoke us this weekend.
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
at least we will build a big lead first
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

What's really interesting to me is how effective the staff is in improving acquired pitchers but when it comes to drafted pitchers their methods seem to be not as effective.

Is it simply not getting to work with Strom and the ML staff, less data on the younger guys, combo of both probably?

I don't know. Just interesting that it seems we can't miss on veteran rebuild jobs but the drafted guys are a different story.


It is probably easier to work with an established big leaguer who is used to the environment. These rookies are pitching in front of no one until the call up. I bet it's more about that adjustment

Edit: I shouldn't say "more," but rather that the adjustment is probably some type of factor.
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
n_touch said:

at least we will build a big lead first
But Verlander and Cole transfer to other teams right before the playoffs...
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

Frok said:

Icy-whites. Sumlin would approve.


Angels gonna smoke us this weekend.

At least we don't have to worry about getting Lucroy's blood all over them.
fatdad84ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like to trade an unopened Altuve sliding bobblehead from last month for a couple of packs of the National baseball trading card day being given out free tonight.
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
we start trading bobbleheads, I'M IN
YNWA_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was referring to Yordan as a no name because he was a wild card no name guy when we acquired him for fields
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YNWA_AG said:

I was referring to Yordan as a no name because he was a wild card no name guy when we acquired him for fields

What if he had "Thanks Dodgers" or "I was traded for. josh Fields" on the back?
DVC2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:



Players weekend uniforms...

Well they are about fourteen times better than the last couple of years, at least.
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"His sinker has been clobbered all year: a .370 batting average and .558 slugging percentage against"

Love the analytics on this but how do you get a batting average on a pitch - how do you account for balls, foul balls, swing strikes, bunts etc?
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

"His sinker has been clobbered all year: a .370 batting average and .558 slugging percentage against"

Love the analytics on this but how do you get a batting average on a pitch - how do you account for balls, foul balls, swing strikes, bunts etc?


Probably just average of the pitch resulting in a hit or an out.
Charlie Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
my goodness has anyone else seen Max Scherzer's nickname??
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charlie Conway said:

my goodness has anyone else seen Max Scherzer's nickname??
bigdick is brazen, but justified
https://ts.la/eric59704
iamtheglove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In this whole "golden years" debate I think the absolute key is player evaluation and development, which under Lunhow, the Astros have proven to be Elite.

Evaluation and development is the path by which you can sign George to a long term deal, because you have the ability to shed Reddick and Brantley for Yordon and Tucker. This year the Astros will pay their OF $40+ million. 2 years from now George in a new deal + yordon + Tucker + straw will cost them less.

With that, you have the resources to sign a vet elite starter or two.

The pipeline of young talent plus the ability to improve vet pitchers is an amazing tool to prolong the golden era even while carrying 3-4 max contracts
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

my goodness has anyone else seen Max Scherzer's nickname??
bigdick is brazen, but justified